(Topic ID: 108199)

Any tips for playing other people's machine YOU own?

By Atomicboy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Sounds silly probably at first, but I'm guessing this is a serious issue for many. In league play, I have a hell of a time doing well on machines I own, know like the back of my hand, and have bent over score wise, but playing someone else's, which may not play as fast, or be levelled differently, or the flippers are aligned slightly differently, always causes issues for me that once in my head really distracts me.

I DREAD knowing games I own will be on the agenda at someone's home. Games I don't know well or own, I have no problem with, as I think my senses are more alert to picking up everything and taking it in, but I think my muscle memory so to speak for the ones I do own is just thrown a cog when a game I think I should know precisely all of a sudden does something or reacts differently than mine.

Our last league night has TSPP on the bill, a HUO one, a game I have a high of 365m on, and have been just shy of reaching the hardest wizard in pinball on. I had played it at home the day of league and had a +200m game. Get there, f'ing 5m...

I'm sure other's suffer from this, what's the magic elixir?

#3 9 years ago

Isn't that what the pinball is already?

#4 9 years ago

I've run into that but not enough to know the elixir. I think it's like you're saying, it's not necessarily that you are a TSPP master but a master at YOUR version of it. The last time I knew a machine of mine was on the roster I stopped playing my own. Not sure how much that helped but I also tried to play that location's version a few times to test out the differences (flipper return speeds, outhole kickout direction, etc). But then all of that puts you in high alert which we know is a recipe for disaster.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I'm sure other's suffer from this, what's the magic elixir?

Playing on location regularly. If you can win on dirty leaning games with half the GI burnt out, you can win on anything. If you look up and down the list of the top 100 players, you'll see a lot of guys who learned how to play on location. No better training ground. Playing on location is all about adjusting to the current conditions.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Playing on location regularly. If you can win on dirty leaning games with half the GI burnt out, you can win on anything. If you look up and down the list of the top 100 players, you'll see a lot of guys who learned how to play on location. No better training ground. Playing on location is all about adjusting to the current conditions.

We've had this discussion before. Location around me was booming in the 90s, but is more or less non-existent now. I know of a partially working NGG and a weaker than weak sauce MET, that's it.

I get what you are saying though. I also maybe shouldn't play the ones I have, seemingly backwards to what one would think if you have the machine, but I do now wonder if that is doing more bad than good for me.

I figured more would have this issue quite honestly.

#7 9 years ago

Are you also saying that you score huge scores on your games EVERY game? I can break 100 million on my CV pretty regularly, but there are 5 million score games between them all the time.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Are you also saying that you score huge scores on your games EVERY game? I can break 100 million on my CV pretty regularly, but there are 5 million score games between them all the time.

No, not by a long shot, but on TSPP for example, to have a 5m game is extremely rare. In fact, I can't even think of the last time I had such a low scoring game on my TSPP in that range. The one I played on was HUO as well, and playing good, just different, you know... Actually, it had the infamous garage door not going up issue, so by the time I put up that score, it had been taped up for the night, so if anything, it was easier.... and I muster 5m

It's in my head once the first thing happens that is slightly different that what my muscle memory says should have happened, or felt like.

I'll give you another example that bugs me, maybe this is the same for some of you - if something doesn't happen right - a switch doesn't activate, or a ball pops out of somewhere it shouldn't, one of those things where you go "what the hell...", I don't know what it is, but I usually get a drain shortly after. It has irritated me that much that it disrupts my play.

Who knows, maybe I'm my own biggest obstacle for play, I'm starting to think that now . I do think now think that playing mine right before someone else's is a bad idea though, as that will only really exacerbate any slight differences. You could have 5 TZ's in tip top shape next to each other, and they will all play slightly different. That's a good place to start for the future.

#9 9 years ago

I agree, that no two games play alike...observed so many times. You could have easily had a monster score the next game. Sometimes the ball bounces just right, in or out of your favor. I know lots of times you put up a huge score...only to put up nothing the next game....and you think, "I was just hitting all the shots...now I am bricking them, how is it possible?"

Anytime I have a huge score on a game at home...I go to another machine....so I leave on a high note. With IM in the collection...anytime you can leave feeling good about it..leave before you put up 3 million the next game and change your out look.

#10 9 years ago

Same thing happens to me. Always aware of the differences in how the same title is playing. I try to not think so much and just go with the flow. Sometimes it helps and sometimes not.

So maybe approach it as a new game that you just happen to know the rules and not an expectation of how it should play?

Eric

#11 9 years ago

Keep your eye on the ball.

#12 9 years ago

I had the exact same experience with WOZ that night.
    At home, I can liquidate the witch. League night I didn't even start a multiball.

#13 9 years ago

Had this happen to me just last Saturday in my league, scored 5 million on TAF , a machine which I own with most games averaging over 250million and a high score of 980million. I was so pissed I came home and told my wife I could post a higher score with 3 plunger shots without touching the flippers. Scored 6million on three plunger shots without touching the flippers.....FUCK!

#14 9 years ago

It sounds like the following is happening...

- you REALLY want to do well
    - if you play on a game you are good at (at home), you anticipate you SHOULD do REALLY well
    - when you have problems (on said game), you get VERY irritated, VERY fast
    - that irritation locks in - and you do not play well

Possible solution: you need to relax, and not get rattled so easily.

I may be off base, but I've done it and seen others do the same (in pinball and golf )

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I get what you are saying though. I also maybe shouldn't play the ones I have, seemingly backwards to what one would think if you have the machine, but I do now wonder if that is doing more bad than good for me.
    I figured more would have this issue quite honestly.

I'm sure plenty others have this issue, but most here are causal players and don't sweat the differences.

365M on TSPP is an epic score on TSPP. If your not ranked in the top 100, you should probably make the game harder. If your average ball times are 7 minutes or more (by the audits, not guessing), you definitely need to make it harder. Besides making your games harder (increased pitch, open outlanes), try changing them up with urethane flipper rubbers (all 5 different types), switch black rubbers with white and vice versa, limit extra balls to 3 (or turn them off) and try lightning flipper bats on games that shouldn't have them. If you learn how to play your games wicked hard, others will seem easy. Yes, sometimes too easy is 'hard' in league, but overall you'll have less trouble with new examples of titles you own. And mentally you won't be intimidated. Your game at home is way harder.

#16 9 years ago

Same thing happens to me but it's usually the other way around. I will go to someone's place and play a pin that I own and bust out a killer score on it but at home I can't seem to do better than average. Very frustrating!

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

It sounds like the following is happening...
    - you REALLY want to do well
    - if you play on a game you are good at (at home), you anticipate you SHOULD do REALLY well
    - when you have problems (on said game), you get VERY irritated, VERY fast
    - that irritation locks in - and you do not play well
    Possible solution: you need to relax, and not get rattled so easily.
    I may be off base, but I've done it and seen others do the same (in pinball and golf )

1. Of course I want to do well, Markinc is always hovering over me giving me the dare stare. He is evil and must be defeated. It's more about the good of mankind, not just winning at league.

2. Yup. Only makes sense initially, but given this thread, I have come to learn this is not the case.

3. When problems happen, it doesn't so much irritate me, as in make me mad, it just really gets in my head, and then that ball goes to shit. As for the anger issues part that no one sees, I just politely visit the bathroom, slap myself in the face while in front of the mirror screaming out "you're an ugly pathetic little girl", then calmly rejoin the league. That usually settles me down.

4. As per above, sort of irritated, but in my head and drain. The focus gets lost.

Quoted from phishrace:

365M on TSPP is an epic score on TSPP. If your not ranked in the top 100, you should probably make the game harder. If your average ball times are 7 minutes or more (by the audits, not guessing), you definitely need to make it harder. Besides making your games harder (increased pitch, open outlanes), try changing them up with urethane flipper rubbers (all 5 different types), switch black rubbers with white and vice versa, limit extra balls to 3 (or turn them off) and try lightning flipper bats on games that shouldn't have them. If you learn how to play your games wicked hard, others will seem easy. Yes, sometimes too easy is 'hard' in league, but overall you'll have less trouble with new examples of titles you own. And mentally you won't be intimidated. Your game at home is way harder.

Well, I just beat TSPP last night (posted about it if you haven't seen), but I would not have done that before, nor now, as that game is hard enough as is.

Lightning flipper bats are evil tools of the devil (much like underpants and collars for dogs) - no thanks!

Quoted from BigB:

Same thing happens to me but it's usually the other way around. I will go to someone's place and play a pin that I own and bust out a killer score on it but at home I can't seem to do better than average. Very frustrating!

Interesting, I would prefer my issue I guess, as I would rather feel great 99% of the time than 1%.

The best idea I think is just not playing my machines that are coming.

#18 9 years ago

In our league we call this the McKenzie effect, or getting McKenzied. Explanation: We used to have this guy in league whose last name was McKenzie. We play at a location that has about 30 pins. He loved him some TSPP. So much that all he would ever play was TSPP. Granted, he had most of the high scores on TSPP. Then he would pick it in league and lose..... every time. I mean every time he would put up like 6M when he was putting up 85M and 120M before league! This is nerves....

The other side to this is like you said.... Picking a game in league that you own at home. Almost always bad news. I mean, you have a distinct advantage that you know the rules inside and out, and have probably logged more than 10 times the number of games than anyone else in league. But you lose..... almost every time. This is due to minor differences in flipper strength, flipper alignment, pitch, level, clean or dirty playfield, etc. And nerves......

How do we combat this? My best advice is don't pick games you own, if at all possible.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-tips-for-playing-other-peoples-machine-you-own and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.