• Latest reply 2 years ago by sped372
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20211210_145027636 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I'm troubleshooting a new (to me) Solar City. I got the bonus stepper de-gummed and am now dealing with (what seems to be) a stuck 10 points switch somewhere. The game resets properly (as far as I can tell) but as soon as ball one kicks to the outlane the 10 chime sounds and you can no longer score 10 points anywhere. The 10 points relay is humming and on as well. (It activates properly during score reel reset but then engages and stays on when the game begins).

So... my dilemma... since they're all on the same circuit I can't check with a multimeter (since they all read closed when one is closed). Any tips on finding the offending switch or do I just need to do a really good visual on each one?

Also... it looks like the slingshots and the switches behind the drop targets all should score 10, any others? Everything else on the playfield appears to score more than that.

Thanks!
Steve

#2 2 years ago

Do you have a schematic? It shows two sling slot switches and seven other switches that score ten points. All connect a slate-white-red wire to a blue black wire. There are probably some behind the drop targets and other passive bumpers.

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

Yes, I have the schematic... and yes I believe I have them all accounted for. My issue is that they all *appear* (visually) open and I don't see anything funny with the solder points touching etc. Yet somehow they read closed, and obviously if one is "closed" electrically they all read closed at their individual locations so I'm not sure how to figure out which one is the culprit!

#4 2 years ago

Some of the switches will also have a shorter, soft metal spacer leaf with a bend in the middle between the two spring steel leaves. It's used to help gap the switch properly but it can also short the blades together if not adjusted properly.

#5 2 years ago

Put a business card in between each of the 10 point switch. Remove one card at a time and pound on playfield to find which one is to close.

#6 2 years ago

Got it! Thanks, all. It was an oddly bent leaf partway down on one of the switches behind the uppermost drop target bank.

IMG_20211210_145027636 (resized).jpgIMG_20211210_145027636 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-tips-for-finding-stuck-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.