• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181115_214123 (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
E2C45280-A601-4105-9B5B-CAD98A4975A9 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 4 years ago

First, there are generally 3 color temperatures available--warm, sunlight, and natural/cool. With warm bulbs, the color looks a bit yellow. Sunlight is roughly neutral, and natural/cool is a bit blue. For most things, I generally go with sunlight.

I've been using comet bulbs for years--they've always worked well for me.

Typically, for GI, I use: 1smd sunlight frosted. Sometimes 2smd in darker areas.

For the backbox, I typically use natural/cool 1smd bulbs. Depending on the look of the backglass, sometimes I use frosted, sometimes I use no lens. Although, more often than not, I use frosted with translites, and no lens with real backglasses.

For inserts, I typically color match the red, blue, green, and purple inserts. I use sunlight bulbs for orange and white inserts. No lens on bulbs pointing directly at the insert, and for bulbs that are sideways, I either use flex head or frosted. For small inserts, I usually use 1smd. For larger inserts, I usually use 4smd or 2smd.

The only time I use warm leds is on EM games. The GI on EM games is also the only place where I might use clear lens blubs to try to replicate the look of incandescent bulbs. Otherwise, I stick to either frosted or no lens bulbs. With the clear lens, the tend to cast visible rings of lights on backglasses, inserts, and plastics.

The only time I use cool/natural is in the backbox, especially with yellowed translites, to help offset the yellowing.

I never color match plastics on the playfield or colors on the backglass. I think doing that just overpowers the existing colors of the game.

For flashers, I generally use the 5smd, 8smd flat, 8smd tower, and 8smd flex head. If a flasher is basically directly visible by a player, I'll use 5smd. If not, I'll generally use an 8smd flat or tower. Flat; I'll generally use if the bulb is basically being directed in a particular direction. Tower; if if the light is omni directional, like under a large colored dome. Flex; usually if the bulb is sideways, especially when there's a large insert in the center of pop bumpers. I generally don't color match flashers, and pretty much let the domes/plastics/inserts do the work. In special cases, I've used 10smd flashers, such as in the AFM mothership saucer.

That is generally my approach to adding LEDs to games.

[edit]: Also, I haven't used non-ghosting bulbs. Plus, it's less expensive to just stock one bulb type, and non-ghosting bulbs are generally more expensive than their standard counterparts. Most games don't actually need them, since there are workarounds for ghosting. For classic bally/stern, the siegecraft LED add-on boards work fine. For WPC, just use the LED ROM fix. For gottlieb system 3, the ghosting is so minor, it's barely noticeable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 12.95
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-tasteful-led-pros-out-there-?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.