(Topic ID: 37042)

Any suggestion replacing MOLEX connectors?

By badpenny61

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by johnwartjr
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

backboard_lighting_002.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider APOLLO_13.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 11 years ago

1 wire at a time is my best advice
I will also tin my wires before I crimp them.

#4 11 years ago

No just crimp is fine, but I tin my wires before crimping. keeps it all together when you crimp.
just what I do...

#9 11 years ago

I get all my connectors, and associated tools from:

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/default.asp

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

I also recall that it is advised to have the pins on the board replaced when damage such as yours has occurred.

I would def. check the pins on the board... I have had to re-flow solder on pins in the past, and I believe it is recommended to replace pins, but I have never had a problem with my "now home use" machines... if it was on route and on all the time, I would for sure do the pins as well.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I would not tin those wires first. Probably just fine on other connectors but that GI connector is prone to fail and resistance in that connector is the culprit. Even though it is minimal, the solder actually adds a bit of resistance.

Just what I do...

some more info on it if anyone want to read it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642963&page=3

here is another... some do, some don't...
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=11322.0

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I agree, some do and some don't. Just my preference for that high fail connector.

Ya, I wasn't trying to start anything... I have done with and without, I have not seen any diff. in either, as far as one gets hot and one does not, or in the quality of the lights it's connected too. It was a lot easier though to get all the wires in the molex connecter with the wires tinned. that and my thinking on this was if you crimped and missed a few wires that might cause an issue... like using a lug that's not the right size for the wire... if you cut wires off to fit the connector you can create a problem at the connector itself.

#22 11 years ago

just another thought in the process was after the 3rd machine I replaced connectors on was "hell, this seems to be a common problem" and it came from the factory this way... they don't tin these before they connect them and they use pretty nice crimping machines, way better than the hand help thing I have... so what if I tin the wires first, might make a better or more pos. connection when crimping. to be honest I didn't give a thought about added resistance to the circuit. but it made me wonder if they had too many bulbs on a sigle line. I have replaced bulbs with led's so I also thought this might help the issue of over heating the connectors...

#24 11 years ago

Sorry, OP... didn't mean to kill your post. I didn't think that tinning wires would be so controversial.
Looks too me like it may not be something you want to do... judging from the general consensus in the post.
It was not my intent to lead you down a road to destruction
tinning wires was something I did on the last machine I replaced connectors on and though it was an okay idea.
reading the other posts on here, you may just be better of with the new style connectors.

Quoted from badpenny61:

Yup, I bought IDC connectors too, might go that route. It would be original app like the others.
Bill

quietly slinking away...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 21.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider APOLLO_13.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-suggestion-replacing-molex-connectors?tu=APOLLO_13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.