10 days ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by Mbecker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 days ago

I ran into the problem of "check fuses F114 and F115" on my machine. Unfortunately, it was more than a fuse and turned out to be a bridge rectifier. Specifically, it was rectifier BR1. I have the new parts and just need to replace it. Any soldering tips for a beginner? I really don't want to screw up the board and I'm sure that some of you pinheads have done this before.

#2 10 days ago

Here’s a great guide:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1

That said, if you haven’t done board work before, you are probably better off sending it out or finding a friend with experience to help.

#3 10 days ago

I would make sure you have a semi-decent iron. I have had good luck with irons in the $25 range off of Amazon. You want to have 60+ watts available. I would get an assortment of tips. Usually the Bridge rectifiers are on some pretty big solder pads so you want a big chisel tip.

I would clip each leg and then focus on melting the solder on each leg and removing it.The thermal mass of a bigger tip will be great here.

A solder sucker would be good for cleaning out any through holes. I like the spring loaded ones.

Installation fo the new one would be easy if you have the through holes cleaned out. Obviously make are you have the orientation right.

#4 10 days ago

Practice on something else if it’s your first time.

You can clip all four legs if there’s room to do so, and then use pliars on the leg bits sticking up while heating the solder so once it melts the bits of each leg will come loose. As noted, make sure you note orientation of rectifier before clipping it. If you have solder Wick, it works decent to clear the holes as well for the new rectifier.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside