Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by TinyToo
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I seem to be fiddling with the adjustment of my slingshots a lot. No matter how gently I adjust them, I either seem to get a bit of a dead slingshot, or one which machine guns occasionally. The best set up I can seem to achieve is one with a very occasional machine gun and a quite frequent double fire. Will occasional machine guns & double fires cause problems in the longer term? Has anyone any good tips for getting a good adjustment of the gaps?

#2 11 years ago

Yeah, you don't want it doing that. It might not cause problems, but if nothing else eventually it will affect play.

My suggestion, get a tool like this:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518&parent=96

It will make adjusting your slingshots (and all leaf switches) WAY easier. Then, I would suggest bending one of them back so it isn't sensitive at all -- I usually do this to the bottom one first, and then adjust your top one to be just how you want it to be (including testing it with the game on). I like VERY sensitive slings, creates more side drains.

Anyway, once that first one is done, do the second leaf switch to try to match the sensitivity of the first one. I will generally put a piece of paper in the second one so that it won't be going off at the same time. Then, test it again.

If they both are sensitive on their own, but aren't machine gunning or double shooting, you should have no issues taking the little piece of paper out of the first one and playing it like that.

No matter what though, you need a real tool to do it right -- otherwise, you bend the leaf switches in the wrong spot, which can cause inadvertent touching and firing throughout the game. Gotta keep those leaf switches right!!

#3 11 years ago

Power off, remove the slingshot plastic and look straight down at the points, the long
    front blade should be resting on the rubber ring, the rear one back a tiny
    bit, so a ball hit triggers it, but it won't fire if you bang on the
    playfield. A little tweaking and you'll be good at adjusting them.

LTG

#4 11 years ago

Great post LLoyd! Good explanation on how best to adjust these.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks for your advice guys, I'll give it another go, hadn't thought about isolating each switch so you're only adjusting one at a time, but that obviously makes very good sense.

#6 11 years ago

With older or dirty machines, always make sure the switch contacts are clean before adjusting.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Power off, remove the slingshot plastic and look straight down at the points, the long
    LTG

Ther is also a blade stiffener on the rear switch blade. It keeps the blade from "bouncing" one the sling fires. Make sure it is adjusted to hold the rear blade back.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

LTG

On older games I usually spend the 20 bucks and buy 4 new ones, over time they have been adjusted too many times and are worn and bent out of shape, grotty looking and filled with Novus.
    If the blades are in good shape and straight clean the contacts with a business card then adjust like LTG recommended.
    I kink the stiffner against the back blade and get them close before I put them in the game.
    It is better to have the gap a little wider, if it is machine gunning and it sticks it will take out a coil and/or driver.
    You really need the tool to adjust them properly from the base of the switch stack.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

On older games I usually spend the 20 bucks and buy 4 new ones, over time they have been adjusted too many times and are worn and bent out of shape, grotty looking and filled with Novus.

Good point, if the blades are bent up. Replace them and save a lot of grief continually adjusting them.

LTG

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Good point, if the blades are bent up. Replace them and save a lot of grief continually adjusting them.

+1

#11 11 years ago

With all your help I've now got a better adjustment of my slingshots, very occasional double fire still, but I think I'll live with that. I think my main problem was that on each side, one of the contact leafs was separated from the stiffener blade. I managed to adjust these so that the stiffener blades are now holding back the contact leafs (thanks for this tip Chris).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-slingshot-adjustment-tips?hl=johndeere and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.