Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
20171112_111220_resized (resized).jpg
20171112_111318_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_2532 (resized).PNG
IMG_20170327_191826 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170327_182830 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dnapac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#220 6 years ago

And 15 years ago pinball was dying...all but dead. All fixes by techs, or not, were nothing but a shot in the dark. I'll take pinball today vs. then. All advances in tech have their risk. Maybe it's forgotten, and the one who've bought into it are screwed (beta vs. VHS), but advance is better than dead. A risk into the advance is always a risk. A risk on an established company (Stern), is better than a risk of a new...but still a risk...but a better bet. Chose your poison. I choose advance vs. stagnant.

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

No issues with advancements in technology.
However, the difference between the past (>15 years ago at the dawn of "modern age of pinball") and today is five primary areas and quite profound:
One, the logic and design was made available by the manufacturers upfront with the release of the game titles (this included Stern!)
Two, the parts were still available in quantity for more than 10 years, not five years (or less in some cases), if a manufacturer remained in business.
Three, larger pools of qualified technicians were available to repair games based on an operator involvement.
Four, boards in many cases were interchangeable even between different systems or logic design was not radically different, but improved.
Five, dedicated test kits were issued to diagnose problems.
There can no comparison from the leap of electromechanical to solid state electronics (1976) because the systems are uncomparable based on a complete concept of design.
Present Stern (and other manufacturers using similar SMD technology) games have become only two steps away from a home model machine similar to what has been attempted repeatedly in the past at the earliest days of solid state design, notably cheap and disposable. The SPIKE system specifically is a modification of the board designs Stern used for their "The Pin" homemodel games.
This controller design went BACKWARDS from SAM and WhiteStar board designs in attempts to further reduce costs with no added benefit to consumers or operators. There was no noticeable advancement and improvements or any robust nature of RSD (Reliability-Serviceability-Durability) of games, and everything that was provided as a "benefit" in reality was smoke and mirror marketing.

I agree with you, and you have vastly more knowledge on the specifics than me, but the reality for me is that Stern, for now, is what the advancement of pinball tech is (although I have hope in the many upcoming companies that there are to change this). I hope that tech becomes less disposable and more user fixable, but that is not reality...as is with almost all technology today. In 20 years...I hope it is different, but then again...in 20 years, I won’t care, I won’t be here. I will enjoy what there is now.

#228 6 years ago

Just woke up. The line of all fixes by techs were a shot in the dark is incorrect. I apologize. As far as documentation, I agree it would be better to let the masses have this, but if your iPhone acts up, can you get the schematics of the board to fix it, or do most just get a new iPhone. My point is that that seems to be the way tech is going with everything. Fixing a car or major appliance is extremely difficult if you wanted to work on a board. Boards in those are never fixed, they are replaced (at least from a consumer stand point). I’m not defending this practice, but it is reality.

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Apple doesn’t expect the user of the phone to fix it if it breaks, stern does expect a homeowner that has a game in their home to call stern tech support if there is a problem, they then send you the parts and expect the homeowner to replace and repair their own games, could you imagine if other manufacturers did this, “Hi Chevy tech support my motor in my new car isn’t working” ok, we thinks it’s the engine, we will ship one out to you.

True. Pinball is unique in this stance. As far as I know, no other pinball company sends out technicians to your home to fix your game. Well, I did hear Stern sent out a technician to remove a playfield from a defective cab...but it is unusual. That's how all of pinball is. Right or wrong. I replaced my playfield myself (had a ghosting one that Stern replaced). I would've loved a technician to come do it for me as it was way above my head. But, I got it done. I also knew what I was getting into when I started getting into pinball. Companies don't normally foot the bill for technician services. I guess, if this wasn't acceptable, I wouldn't be into owning pins, just playing them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dnapac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-serious-problems-with-spike-yet?tu=dnapac and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.