Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
20171112_111220_resized (resized).jpg
20171112_111318_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_2532 (resized).PNG
IMG_20170327_191826 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170327_182830 (resized).jpg
There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 8 years ago

Can some post pictures of front and back of one of the failed node boards?

#102 8 years ago

My node 8 board failed last night mid game. GoT LE less than 100 plays. Now no flipper, slings or lower GI. Replacement board is ordered.

#103 8 years ago

This is another reason I bought the last sam pin(twd) bc I didn't wanna deal with the new system until the kinks are workec out

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

Maybe, but why would it happen so much more frequently on the LE? The pcb is mounted in the same place on both the pro and LE.

When node 8 failed on my game, there were a few times it started working again, but then would ultimately fail once more. 3 coils were out on my pro and all of the coil connectors were on the same side of the board beside each other. Coils running from the other side of the board still worked. I was probably the first to post about node 8 failing here on pinside, but I've had my game longer than most too.

How do you know it's happening more frequently on the LE?

It seems the majority of failures are node 8 and that's mounted right beside the left flipper. That's the reason I am suspecting vibration. But, I could be wrong... I'm just guessing after all

Rob

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

As I recall, Williams would field test their new systems by only putting them in to 100 of the normal production games. And almost always, with a distributor customer base where they knew they would get feed back. It would happen with a few models before they would officially roll it out in all production games. And, of course, back then 100% of production were operated on route.
Other than "The Pin", any one know how much field testing did SPIKE get before it was rolled out?

They did test SAM games on the SPIKE system. Lot's of software bugs. Also SPIKE seems to store what used to be in NVRAM on the sd card.

#107 8 years ago

The flipper coils are often the most exercised coil on a game and are hard on the MOSFET drivers.

Other than the auto ball launch shooter coils, it was always the most common failure when we were operating pins. However, the most common reason for the failure were broken or failed doides. I always felt that if the moved the diodes off the coils onto adjoining terminal strips, they would have virtually eliminated electronic related failures completely.

I had to do that to prevent repeat failures of the shooter lane kicker on our T3's. Never had another failure.

#108 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

My GOT LE on location has blown 3 node 8 pcbs. I'd be willing to bet that we would be seeing far more failures if there were more LEs on location, but since most of them are going to collectors that level of stress isn't being put on many of them. If the problem hasn't been figured out by the time Premiums hit (which I'd imagine will be more common on location than LEs), we could be seeing it happen a lot more.

Yeah it's weird the Kiss at 82 has been rock solid. Only thing different on GoT is they went back to the single winding coil (Not sure if they're using PWM or Deger) which was infamous for blowing out transistors in the early SAM days.

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Are you checking the switches in the switch test with your finger or with a ball?
If with your finger, you need to note when the switch registers. If it registers when the blade is flush or below the playfield surface, likely the ball may/may not register it. So try to adjust each switch to have it register when it is pushed half to 3/4 the way down.

With ball of course.

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The KISS scoop switch may not stay closed without some adjustment of the switch arm. This happened with mine. The spinner switch also needed adjustment.
GoT, which switches specifically? If you are talking about the right orbit, that is probably a software timing issue or the ball is getting 'air' and not rolling over the switch cleanly. GoT plays/works best at a 7 degree pitch I find.
Rob

Nope, right rollover lane, no timing required at all.

In regards to the other person's comment about switch quality the wires seem to be a but "wobbly", i.e. they move right and left more than I'm used to seeing.

1 month later
#111 8 years ago

So I finally had a serious failure on a Spike system (GoT). One of my regulars reported a dead flipper so I'm like "easy, dead fuse", and when I opened it up the enormity of the difference in the spike system really hit me. No freakin fuses. But it turned out to just be a broken solder joint on the flipper coil and easily fixed. Time to start studying that system more.

And my crappy switch on the roll over lane of GoT is still crappy and upon further investigation the "ears" on the lever are out of whack and the switch lever pops loose real easily. I looked for a replacement and the part # isn't listed at any of the major vendors so I ordered the "Spike - 1" Stern rollover switch and I'll compare and install it if it matches.

And...... my scoop switch on Kiss is still crappy as well. Its sensing the ball and kicking it out immediately every time 100% but rarely ever records any award. That one has me puzzled.

"The KISS scoop switch may not stay closed without some adjustment of the switch arm." So what you're saying is that it needs a more aggressive switch closure? Some timing issues there?

#112 8 years ago

Are you not getting any awards at all? Mine was like this a few weeks ago and Stern's fix was to factory reset the machine. It worked for me. "Backstage Pass" was never lighting up for me before the factory reset. Now it lights up a good amount during play. I only get awards when I shoot the ball into the scoop and "Backstage Pass", "Extra Ball", "New Track" etc. are lit up, but I am assuming that is the correct way for it to work. Shooting the ball into the scoop with nothing lit up just shoots the ball back out.

Now I just have to figure out what exactly gets the "Backstage Pass" to light up.

#113 8 years ago

Thanks, it lights up backstage pass, new track, whatever..... hit the scoop, no response. Regulars bitch, then I put it in test mode and it senses and kicks the ball out like a champ. I'll try the factory reset.

#114 8 years ago

I have had 2 spike games on route reset the lifetime play count that shouldn't reset. Nothing else reset so it wasn't a factory reset, just that. Yesterday WWE reported 16:20 avg ball time and 61:52 avg game time so there is some kinda memory leak or corrupt programming causing the play reset and these ball time figures.

#115 8 years ago

I really hate the fan noise in the backbox but it doesn't seem to bother other people.

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

"The KISS scoop switch may not stay closed without some adjustment of the switch arm." So what you're saying is that it needs a more aggressive switch closure? Some timing issues there?

That is exactly what the problem is. It's easy to remove the scoop assembly to diagnose the switch closure and then adjust as needed.

Rob

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

I have had 2 spike games on route reset the lifetime play count that shouldn't reset. Nothing else reset so it wasn't a factory reset, just that. Yesterday WWE reported 16:20 avg ball time and 61:52 avg game time so there is some kinda memory leak or corrupt programming causing the play reset and these ball time figures.

I think it stores stuff that used to be in NVRAM on the SD cards file system so that part may have issues / file corruption.

1 week later
#118 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Just to be clear a factory reset erases total number of plays?

#119 8 years ago

It's too small.

I like my boardsets BIG. HUUUUUUGE.

#120 8 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Just to be clear a factory reset erases total number of plays?

It does reset the total plays, but underneath that it says Lifetime Plays with a separate counter that should never reset and that is what has reset on 2 of my spike games so far.

#121 8 years ago

So just as a follow up to earlier posts, I finally got around to tweaking the switch lever on the scoop/VUK for a more aggressive closure and it now awards back stage passes. It was always sensing the ball and kicking it back out but not awarding points.

1 week later
#122 8 years ago

On my KISS Pro, regarding the "K", "I", "S","S" targets on the lower left, I noticed recently that the first three letters, "K","I","S", always seemed to be on during game play. The final “S” letter just needed a strike and the bonus was rewarded, but the first three letters remained lit throughout the game.

When I turned off the machine and restarted it, the “KISS” target LEDs behave normally in attract mode, all off, all on, light in sequence, etc. The targets are not lit after pressing start, but as soon as the ball is launched and activates the first roll-over switch out of the shooter lane, the first three letters light and remain lit throughout the game.

I reloaded factory code… wasn’t it. Still acting the same. Any thoughts as to what it might be? Is this a failed node board people reference?

#123 8 years ago

Will they ever have a format SD and reload code mode? For a true factory reset?

#124 8 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

On my KISS Pro, regarding the "K", "I", "S","S" targets on the lower left, I noticed recently that the first three letters, "K","I","S", always seemed to be on during game play. The final “S” letter just needed a strike and the bonus was rewarded, but the first three letters remained lit throughout the game.
When I turned off the machine and restarted it, the “KISS” target LEDs behave normally in attract mode, all off, all on, light in sequence, etc. The targets are not lit after pressing start, but as soon as the ball is launched and activates the first roll-over switch out of the shooter lane, the first three letters light and remain lit throughout the game.
I reloaded factory code… wasn’t it. Still acting the same. Any thoughts as to what it might be? Is this a failed node board people reference?

I have the same issue with one of my Kiss machines... would love to know what it is and im feeling its a node fault

#125 8 years ago

Has anybody experienced a volume spike in GOT? I swear I'm playing a game at a certain volume and every once in a while the volume will get louder for a second and then go back to normal. Weird.

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

However, the most common reason for the failure were broken or failed doides. I always felt that if the moved the diodes off the coils onto adjoining terminal strips, they would have virtually eliminated electronic related failures completely.
I had to do that to prevent repeat failures of the shooter lane kicker on our T3's. Never had another failure.

So Stern heard your cries and did this with the S.A.M. System. May have neen too late for you though.

#127 8 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

I have the same issue with one of my Kiss machines... would love to know what it is and im feeling its a node fault

Just did a "Factory Reset"... Whew! Everything works. back to normal.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Has anybody experienced a volume spike in GOT? I swear I'm playing a game at a certain volume and every once in a while the volume will get louder for a second and then go back to normal. Weird.

volume effects for some time stern games have had so that some modes can boost the volume for them it's a setting.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

volume effects for some time stern games have had so that some modes can boost the volume for them it's a setting.

So is there a setting in the menu that can be adjusted? If so where do I find it? Thanks.

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So is there a setting in the menu that can be adjusted? If so where do I find it? Thanks.

Check under stern settings or game settings. At least that is where it was on the older games.

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

This is not the issue as it is completely random when it happens. It almost always happens when no mode is running.

#132 8 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

Any serious problems with Spike yet?.

Well, they do expect Ghostbusters to cause a big Spike in sales...

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Well, they do expect Ghostbusters to cause a big Spike in sales...

I think that is one problem Stern will welcome with open arms!

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I think as time moves surface mount will be OK to repair. it's a steep learning curve, and the right tools and good eyeballs are needed.

I was repairing surface mount boards in the consumer electronics industry back in 1993, and at that time, most things were being made that way, at least by the better companies. I'm actually surprised it took Stern this long to do the same. It is not that hard to work on once you get a little experience, and although you can use stuff like the Hakko heat blowers to remove a complex IC, a fine-tipped soldering iron, good wick, some very fine single strand wire, and liquid solder flux is all you really need.

#135 8 years ago

Anyone have high res pictures of the spike board? I saw someone asking about IDing chips, but I only found one photo not fully in focus on the goog image search showing the ARM Cortex M7 cpu in focus. Might as well start building up BOMs to see what will be irreplaceable.

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

Just did a "Factory Reset"... Whew! Everything works. back to normal.

That's great... I might try that... so a factory reset is that reloading the software via usb or just a factory reset in the menu without reloading usb again?

#137 8 years ago

I reloaded the Factory Code first, thinking that would do it. It didn't. The next day, per suggestion, I found the Factory Reset in the menu and did it. It took a whole of 2 secs and it was back to normal. I wish I had I done that first... The Code reset takes about 30 minutes...

1 week later
#138 8 years ago

My KISS Pro failed last night. Won't boot up. Could be Node 8 (Flippers) causing problem with Node 0. Could be a problem on main (Node 0) causing problem at flippers. Could be SD card... I'll call Chas in the morning...
Anyone have something similar? Any thoughts?

#139 8 years ago

I have a GOT LE that is not booting up. It has backbox LEDs out for 9V and 24V. Anyone seen this exactly? Emailed Stern but no idea how responsive their customer service is.

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

My KISS Pro failed last night. Won't boot up. Could be Node 8 (Flippers) causing problem with Node 0. Could be a problem on main (Node 0) causing problem at flippers. Could be SD card... I'll call Chas in the morning...
Anyone have something similar? Any thoughts?
» YouTube video

What happens if you disconnect the connectors from node 8?

Rob

#141 8 years ago

Genius! Was emailing Stern tech support and thought I better check Pinside. Unplugged the Cat 5 cable... same issues. Unplugged all connectors to Node 8... Game boots up. Scores and settings are there. Looks like I need an new Node 8. Thank you again.

#142 8 years ago

Just received my first spike, GOT premium, zero issues so far after ~40+games~

Game had newest code upon receive.

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Just received my first spike, GOT premium, zero issues so far after ~40+games~
Game had newest code upon receive.

I assume you will play the crap out of it. That's what my family did... well they did because it was new and exciting. I did it to see if something was gonna fail before the official warranty was up (picked up in Mid-Feb 2016). Just checked my audits... says 143 total plays. Don't know if that included games before I loaded new code with Pinball Browser, then reloaded original code when a couple issues started. Good luck! I want the Spike system to succeed. Otherwise GB might have to wait!

#144 8 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

I assume you will play the crap out of it. That's what my family did... well they did because it was new and exciting. I did it to see if something was gonna fail before the official warranty was up (picked up in Mid-Feb 2016). Just checked my audits... says 143 total plays. Don't know if that included games before I loaded new code with Pinball Browser, then reloaded original code when a couple issues started. Good luck! I want the Spike system to succeed. Otherwise GB might have to wait!

The best part, if you have something fail, hash it out with your distributor before contacting Stern. I can normally fix most normal issues that F up gameplay, but if you have switch/opto errors that cant be resolved with simple troubleshooting, your Distrib should have your back!

#145 8 years ago

Agreed! Should have clarified. Contacted my distributor first... he put me in touch with Stern Tech and asked them to help and get me what I needed. Everyone has been very helpful, polite and easy to deal with... contrary to some others unusual horror stories.

#146 8 years ago

Got a new Node 8 board today from Stern. Installed it and game booted right back up. Played it hard... banged on the flippers. First noticed the lower GI bulbs had a slight flicker with each pulse. This increased as play continued until one of my original problems...

Right flipper-dead, left flipper in spasm-then drops dead, lower GI (2 bulbs under each sling, 2 on each side in front of the apron) all go out for a second. Then game returns to normal. Power loss became more frequent with continued game play and flipper use. Finally, game cut out and won't boot past the Stern logo. Similar to previous video I posted.

For those with Node 8 failures, was is just a Node 8 failure or did you find a different cause forcing Node 8 to fail?

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

Got a new Node 8 board today from Stern. Installed it and game booted right back up. Played it hard... banged on the flippers. First noticed the lower GI bulbs had a slight flicker with each pulse. This increased as play continued until one of my original problems...
Right flipper-dead, left flipper in spasm-then drops dead, lower GI (2 bulbs under each sling, 2 on each side in front of the apron) all go out for a second. Then game returns to normal. Power loss became more frequent with continued game play and flipper use. Finally, game cut out and won't boot past the Stern logo. Similar to previous video I posted.
For those with Node 8 failures, was is just a Node 8 failure or did you find a different cause forcing Node 8 to fail?

Same thing happened to me a few days ago. My lower gi was flickering, then going out for some period of time after each flipper hit. I assumed it was a loose connector, reseated all connectors no change and a game or so later, all flippers dead. This will be the fourth node 8 board my game gets.

#148 8 years ago

Stern tech thinking its a coil issue causing a Node 8 failure. Proper coil resistance measured on all coils connected to Node 8. Coils test OK in Diagnostics menu. Same thing started happening during game play. After flips, lower GI would flicker then finally turn off and flippers dead. A second later it would everything returns. Unplugged left flipper (CN 5).

Played many games with just right flip and glass off to keep activating auto plunge. Wanted to see if problem would return (rule out trough, auto plunge and right flip... nothing... looked like it isolated to left flipper. Plugged left flip back in and left flipped during game play. Got the lower GI and flips to go out. After this though, the right flipper was now able to cause the issue... maybe the left coil stressed the board?

I think I'll change left flipper coil for sure. Hard to belive with such a new game. Anyone have a flipper coil fail on a new spike game? How did you isolate it to determine that coil?

#149 8 years ago

Is stern taking in the failed components and doing any sort of post mortem analysis on them?

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Is stern taking in the failed components and doing any sort of post mortem analysis on them?

Yeah, you are required to send in your dead node boards to get replacements for them. They actually had me send back my entire GOT LE machine for analysis after it blew three node 8s in the span of two weeks, too, and replaced it with another NIB. The new one has been fine (on location no less) with no issues for the last couple of months.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 103.00
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-serious-problems-with-spike-yet/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.