Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
20171112_111220_resized (resized).jpg
20171112_111318_resized (resized).jpg
IMG_2532 (resized).PNG
IMG_20170327_191826 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170327_182830 (resized).jpg
There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

As long as Stern keeps replacing the failing node boards for free until they figure out (and maybe tell us) why they are failing. I know it's a small percentage, but it's a consistent small percentage.
Rob

Its an annoying small percentage as well. I have another thread I started about GOT LE. I lost three flippers and replaced node 8 with a brand new one from stern, didn't fix the problem. Lead to hours of additional inspection and testing of other parts of the machine, reverting code back, etc and turns out the brand new replacement node they sent was defective. UGH that sucked but the good news is I am up and running now.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

They do not sell direct but your distributor will be able to sell them to you or work with the exchange program Stern offers them on boards. You on the other hand can send me a text if your in a bind.

Good to know, and thanks!

#53 8 years ago

Its an annoying small percentage as well. I have another thread I started about GOT LE. I lost three flippers and replaced node 8 with a brand new one from stern, didn't fix the problem. Lead to hours of additional inspection and testing of other parts of the machine, reverting code back, etc and turns out the brand new replacement node they sent was defective. UGH that sucked but the good news is I am up and running now.

So are the node boards interchangeable throughout the game? Flipper nodes included.
Seems you could swap them around to test them out in a game, narrowing problem to the node.
I have GOT on location, no problems.

#54 8 years ago

I don't think GOT pro has the same issues with nodes blowing. Seems to be an LE issue.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

So are the node boards interchangeable throughout the game? Flipper nodes included.
Seems you could swap them around to test them out in a game, narrowing problem to the node.
I have GOT on location, no problems.

I don't know how many different node boards there are but I know of three. They are interchangeable as long as you change the dips to the correct order. Kinda nice to be able to carry three or so to swap out at any time.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

In general, yes. There are a handful of specific boards, and like inhomearcades said they're interchangeable as long as you change the dip switches properly. It's a great design. However, if the problem with the node board going out is something up/down-stream, you could smoke the replacement if it's not corrected first. Shouldn't happen, but it's possible.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

I don't think GOT pro has the same issues with nodes blowing. Seems to be an LE issue.

Incorrect. My GoT pro was was probably the first GoT to lose a node board.

Rob

#58 8 years ago

I don't know how many different node boards there are but I know of three. They are interchangeable as long as you change the dips to the correct order. Kinda nice to be able to carry three or so to swap out at any time.

Node 8 on the pro is unique. Node 9 and 10 are the same. Node 8 is located by the flippers, 9 is middle of the playfield and 10 is upper playfield.

Rob

#59 8 years ago

Oh yeh great. I work for the largest amusement vending operator in the US. And there is NO WAY each service tech would carry two or three extra boards at 200 a pop. Get a grip...... Throw away boards might be great for Joe blow that cant do his own repairs but its not cost effective for OPs.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Oh yeh great. I work for the largest amusement vending operator in the US. And there is NO WAY each service tech would carry two or three extra boards at 200 a pop. Get a grip...... Throw away boards might be great for Joe blow that cant do his own repairs but its not cost effective for OPs.

So your techs have surface mount equipment with them on site?
The choice for your company to fix boards on site with out further game down time is there, it all depends on if they feel it's worth it to have a few extra boards or not.

Do you not have extra white star and Sam board sets for the techs? Those board sets were much more expensive. For under 500 bucks you can have a set of node boards for all spike games.

#61 8 years ago

No need for whitestar and Sam boards on hand. They seem to never die....and they aren't surface mount so onsite work is easy.

#62 8 years ago

First and foremost, we would never RT pins...... tried that. Never a winning combo when you take all expences into consideration. After the split, vehicle costs, insurance, fuel and tolls, repair, parts, commissions, employee benefits and just the lack of money they produce.( You may have 1 good for every 10 dogs on location.) At 5-7K each game its for Mom and Pop vendor at the local pub not for large operators Thats a fact.

#63 8 years ago

Like I said throw away boards might be great for Joe Blow. But for field work you need a board set thats serviceable. Show me any vendor that relies on pinball for the majority of his profits and I show you a broke one. Its was bad enough with a repairable board set. " Just saying "

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

First and foremost, we would never RT pins...... tried that. Never a winning combo when you take all expences into consideration. After the split, vehicle costs, insurance, fuel and tolls, repair, parts, commissions, employee benefits and just the lack of money they produce.( You may have 1 good for every 10 dogs on location.) At 5-7K each game its for Mom and Pop vendor at the local pub not for large operators Thats a fact.

So your first post was complaining how they are not serviceable on site and then you follow up by saying it doesn't matter anyway because you don't route pins. I guess I don't understand the point of even bringing it up.

Quoted from pinballkyle:

No need for whitestar and Sam boards on hand. They seem to never die....and they aren't surface mount so onsite work is easy.

They die all the time. Your games are not played enough. Stern boards on occasion need more than just a transistor, not all the time but it happens. So far no more or less than the spike system.

#65 8 years ago

So your first post was complaining how they are not serviceable on site and then you follow up by saying it doesn't matter anyway because you don't route pins. I guess I don't understand the point of even bringing it up.

They die all the time. Your games are not played enough. Stern boards on occasion need more than just a transistor, not all the time but it happens. So far no more or less than the spike system.

We did in the past.

#66 8 years ago

So for the record, and a slightly different perspective, I'm an operator but not a "real" operator. I used to run a 45 piece (mainly redemption) location on the side that killed it on earnings but got out (day job too important and the location owner was a douche). Now I'm back to collecting pinballs and operating them at local microbrewery taprooms mainly to expand my hobby. But...... I pride myself on maintaining my games at a totally unrealistic level of up time (I slightly freak if a bulb burns out) and I'd really like to have a spare board set for quick board swaps. I own mainly modern Sterns and I see a lot of Spike games in my future BUT I'm not thrilled about spending $200+ for a small board that shouldn't have cost more than $50 to make. A 100% mark up on production costs I'm cool with, but a 400% I'm not.

One factor is that now that they are going to smaller boards in higher quantities the prices per board real estate and parts count should be coming down. But it seems that they are going up. I'd really like to see someone generate a bill of materials for a Spike board so we can go from just guessing to speaking from an informed position. But this is Pinside so I guess that's not needed. I was really expecting these boards to roll in at about $125-$150 at worst.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

So for the record, and a slightly different perspective, I'm an operator but not a "real" operator. I used to run a 45 piece (mainly redemption) location on the side that killed it on earnings but got out (day job too important and the location owner was a douche). Now I'm back to collecting pinballs and operating them at local microbrewery taprooms mainly to expand my hobby. But...... I pride myself on maintaining my games at a totally unrealistic level of up time (I slightly freak if a bulb burns out) and I'd really like to have a spare board set for quick board swaps. I own mainly modern Sterns and I see a lot of Spike games in my future BUT I'm not thrilled about spending $200+ for a small board that shouldn't have cost more than $50 to make. A 100% mark up on production costs I'm cool with, but a 400% I'm not.
One factor is that now that they are going to smaller boards in higher quantities the prices per board real estate and parts count should be coming down. But it seems that they are going up. I'd really like to see someone generate a bill of materials for a Spike board so we can go from just guessing to speaking from an informed position. But this is Pinside so I guess that's not needed. I was really expecting these boards to roll in at about $125-$150 at worst.

They are that price. If your distributor isn't trying to make a killing off of you.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

When ever custom chips are involved, i see bigger issues, when time is factored. Repro boards will be nearly impossible to make

I used to feel this way, but it's always possible for hardware, or even software emulation if, or when, it ever gets to that point. It always amazes me that people are capable of emulating chipsets of a completely different architecture on other machines (albeit with a significant drop in efficiency). It just takes someone willing enough to write the code and design the hardware.

#69 8 years ago

They are that price. If your distributor isn't trying to make a killing off of you.

Thanks, my distributor is getting pricing for me. And he's monitoring this thread.....

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I used to feel this way, but it's always possible for hardware, or even software emulation if, or when, it ever gets to that point. It always amazes me that people are capable of emulating chipsets of a completely different architecture on other machines (albeit with a significant drop in efficiency). It just takes someone willing enough to write the code and design the hardware.

Yeah but then we have custom chips and custom software emulating custom chips and custom software. This doesn't really help does it?

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Yeah but then we have custom chips and custom software emulating custom chips and custom software. This doesn't really help does it?

If sterns motivation for new board sets was reduced costs, they would use off the shelf chips they could easily get. Nobody is doing custom silicon these days other than huge companies. It's just too expensive.

#72 8 years ago

To inhomearcades:

I route almost 40 pinballs - run 1 pinbar with 11 pinballs, another with 10. SAM is pretty bomber for me. Spike nodes are going, but with time and revisions I think it will be an awesome system. But It's clear there are bugs that need to be worked out and boards need revisions. Growing pains, that's all.

#73 8 years ago

Sounds like an opportunity for the aftermarket to step in and offer knockoff replacements.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

SAM is pretty bomber for me.

I need a Canadian to English translator...

Pete

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

To inhomearcades:
I route almost 40 pinballs - run 1 pinbar with 11 pinballs, another with 10. SAM is pretty bomber for me. Spike nodes are going, but with time and revisions I think it will be an awesome system. But It's clear there are bugs that need to be worked out and boards need revisions. Growing pains, that's all.

We are operating similar number of pins about 70 on free play so they get a large number of plays. I haven't come across a system by any manufacturer yet that doesn't have board problems, but I agree with you that the node growing pains should pass and we should have a pretty solid system on our hands.

#76 8 years ago

As technology and engineering advances it's only logical that all item on a pin become thinner, lighter and smaller.

So basically as opposed to the early days of pinball up to the 90s when things got heavier and more robust, now we are going the other way. Just like everything else in this world. A throwaway item.

#77 8 years ago

Yep, lost Node 8 on my GOTLE within the first week of having the game.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So basically as opposed to the early days of pinball up to the 90s when things got heavier and more robust, now we are going the other way. Just like everything else in this world. A throwaway item.

Who said anything about the system being throw away? There is not one item on a 90's pin that hasn't gone bad on my games.

For instance the use of the latch versus slide mechanism for the lock down bar. The latch system is much stronger, lighter and better than the slide system all while being much less expensive.

#79 8 years ago

Who said anything about the system being throw away?

It sounded like you were describing most modern electronic devices where they are built cheap, you use them for a year until they become obsolete, then you just toss them and get the newest one. Well, that's what it sounded like to me.

#80 8 years ago

Are all the node boards the same? I wouldn't mind having a backup or 2.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Are all the node boards the same? I wouldn't mind having a backup or 2.

There are 3 different node boards. The 8 driver node board(this is what the Node 8 board is), the 4 driver node board and the cabinet node board.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from scasey:

Yep, lost Node 8 on my GOTLE within the first week of having the game.

I contacted my distributor and they are sending out a replacement Node 8 Board free of charge.

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from scasey:

There are 3 different node boards. The 8 driver node board(this is what the Node 8 board is), the 4 driver node board and the cabinet node board.

Of course there are 3 different node boards, why not 6 ? I can understand the one by the coin door being different, but the ones under the playfield should all be the same

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

I can understand the one by the coin door being different, but the ones under the playfield should all be the same

Well, sometimes you don't need to control 8 coils. Three seems like a good number to cover all situations.

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Well, sometimes you don't need to control 8 coils. Three seems like a good number to cover all situations.

I agree. The node boards kind of align themselves to the hv coils and lv coils/lamps of yesteryear.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Can you at least use the 8-node board in place of a 4?

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I suppose you're correct. However, given enough resources, I'd think it'd be possible to do with "conventional" hardware. For example, the Nintendo GameCube and Wii use the PowerPC architecture with all of their components being 100% custom engineered for them, yet a simple program can run all this on a standard x86 processor with standard DDR RAM and the like. Granted, to do so properly, one must have a computer with multiple powerful cores and a hearty GPU to be able to adequately translate the code in real time.

I wish I knew exactly what kind of hardware and software went in to designing pinball machine hardware--this type of thing fascinates me. I know "back in the day" the programming ran on bare metal using assembly language, but I doubt it does so today. Emulating the operating system that Stern uses now can't be terribly difficult.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I wish I knew exactly what kind of hardware and software went in to designing pinball machine hardware--this type of thing fascinates me. I know "back in the day" the programming ran on bare metal using assembly language, but I doubt it does so today. Emulating the operating system that Stern uses now can't be terribly difficult.

It'd be pretty easy to tell most of this if anyone actually had a list of the chips on the boards

#89 8 years ago

Glad to see that Stern hasn't suggested using "Wizards Mist N Shine" to resolve these node board issues

#90 8 years ago

Anybody ever have any weird switch problems with Spike? I've got intermittent switch issues on GoT and Kiss. They work perfectly in test but in game play they occasionally don't register.

Kiss - VUK often doesn't respond in game play

GoT - Rollover lane switches sometimes don't respond, particularly the right rollover lane.

Both work perfectly in test mode.

Ideas?

#91 8 years ago

In Stern's effort to make everything cheaper and crappier, they have changed brands of microswitches. Their current manufacturer just sucks. I would suspect the switch itself. I bet they saved a whole five cents per switch. This is what you're up against with Stern... What kills me is you guys actually think that Spike is a good thing. Trust me it was just a way to save money for stern.

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

Anybody ever have any weird switch problems with Spike? I've got intermittent switch issues on GoT and Kiss. They work perfectly in test but in game play they occasionally don't register.
GoT - Rollover lane switches sometimes don't respond, particularly the right rollover lane.
Ideas?

Are you checking the switches in the switch test with your finger or with a ball?
If with your finger, you need to note when the switch registers. If it registers when the blade is flush or below the playfield surface, likely the ball may/may not register it. So try to adjust each switch to have it register when it is pushed half to 3/4 the way down.

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

In Stern's effort to make everything cheaper and crappier, they have changed brands of microswitches. Their current manufacturer just sucks. I would suspect the switch itself. I bet they saved a whole five cents per switch. This is what you're up against with Stern... What kills me is you guys actually think that Spike is a good thing. Trust me it was just a way to save money for stern.

Sterns are holding up way better than any other pin out there on location.

Please enlighten me with your expertise on spike and sterns manufacturing/sourcing methods.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

Ideas?

The KISS scoop switch may not stay closed without some adjustment of the switch arm. This happened with mine. The spinner switch also needed adjustment.

GoT, which switches specifically? If you are talking about the right orbit, that is probably a software timing issue or the ball is getting 'air' and not rolling over the switch cleanly. GoT plays/works best at a 7 degree pitch I find.

Rob

#95 8 years ago

My GOT LE on location has blown 3 node 8 pcbs. I'd be willing to bet that we would be seeing far more failures if there were more LEs on location, but since most of them are going to collectors that level of stress isn't being put on many of them. If the problem hasn't been figured out by the time Premiums hit (which I'd imagine will be more common on location than LEs), we could be seeing it happen a lot more. It can happen on Pros as well, it just doesn't seem imminent like it does on the LE. An op I know down in Portland had one blow on his Pro recently.

To Stern's credit, they are definitely aware of the problem and seem very motivated to figure it out -- they just had me ship my machine back to them to try to figure out what's going wrong. They actually approached me about it and seemed to really want my game to help with the diagnosis. Hopefully a solution is on the way!

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

My GOT LE on location has blown 3 node 8 pcbs. I'd be willing to bet that we would be seeing far more failures if there were more LEs on location, but since most of them are going to collectors that level of stress isn't being put on many of them. If the problem hasn't been figured out by the time Premiums hit (which I'd imagine will be more common on location than LEs), we could be seeing it happen a lot more. It can happen on Pros as well, it just doesn't seem imminent like it does on the LE. An op I know down in Portland had one blow on his Pro recently.
To Stern's credit, they are definitely aware of the problem and seem very motivated to figure it out -- they just had me ship my machine back to them to try to figure out what's going wrong. They actually approached me about it and seemed to really want my game to help with the diagnosis. Hopefully a solution is on the way!

Same here on my LE. I have sent the. Defective boards so they can figure out what went wrong. They want it fixed more than we do. With a new system and new applications it may take a dozen titles to figure out what this system is capable of and how to modify the system to be more robust.

#97 8 years ago

As I recall, Williams would field test their new systems by only putting them in to 100 of the normal production games. And almost always, with a distributor customer base where they knew they would get feed back. It would happen with a few models before they would officially roll it out in all production games. And, of course, back then 100% of production were operated on route.

Other than "The Pin", any one know how much field testing did SPIKE get before it was rolled out?

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

As I recall, Williams would field test their new systems by only putting them in to 100 of the normal production games. And almost always, with a distributor customer base where they knew they would get feed back. It would happen with a few models before they would officially roll it out in all production games. And, of course, back then 100% of production were operated on route.
Other than "The Pin", any one know how much field testing did SPIKE get before it was rolled out?

Ive had spike on location with acdc in it. You wouldn't imagine the number of problems that game had.

#99 8 years ago

Same here on my LE. I have sent the. Defective boards so they can figure out what went wrong. They want it fixed more than we do. With a new system and new applications it may take a dozen titles to figure out what this system is capable of and how to modify the system to be more robust.

I think ts flipper vibration.

Rob

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I think ts flipper vibration.
Rob

Maybe, but why would it happen so much more frequently on the LE? The pcb is mounted in the same place on both the pro and LE.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 103.00
$ 12.50
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-serious-problems-with-spike-yet/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.