2790E18D-3112-4CFC-AB67-6ED1C2DAC8BB (resized).jpeg
CB8A75C8-BFA1-45B2-872F-FFB0BA4B13A9 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230415_143240111 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205100473 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205634213 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #209 Replacement Shooter Lane Ball Gate by Cliffy Posted by Cliffy (8 years ago)

Post #391 Link to IPDB for manual / schematics. Posted by frunch (6 years ago)

Post #512 Link for guide to wiring in new rectifier board. Posted by Chalkey (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wondermellon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#740 4 years ago

I just joined the club last week. Such a great game. It is actually the first game in our lineup that my wife wants to play together.

I would say that is is working about 98%. There are one or 2 lamps out and I am not sure if some of the switches are working. In order to check these out further, I need to get the self-test to work.

When I hit the self test button, I can hear a click under the play field and then everything but the GI goes dead. Not sure where to start on this. My thought is maybe a solenoid is shorting and killing the MPU???? Anyone run into this before or have an idea of where I can start?

#742 4 years ago

Thanks Chalkey. The rectifier is integrated to the wiring harness via wire nuts (not by me). Looking through that spaghetti is not going to be fun.

I will try unplugging connectors to see if I can get into test mode. That should at least narrow the options

#746 4 years ago

I am fairly certain the switch works. It goes into self test, but the first step in the test is causing the boards to shut down everything. The GI is the only thing that will continue to run

#748 4 years ago

OK, got home and tried things out. Looks like the self test does work, but I may, indeed, need a new switch. It appears that sometimes a single push of the switch would register twice.

I was worried that I may have some switches not registering, but they all seem to work. One interesting thing is that I have to press the switch down for a second or more for it to register in self-test, but it does register fine in game play.

Th knocker doesn't work. It appears to be connected, but it never fires. I did not put the meter on it to see if it gets voltage or not. My daughter hates the cabinet knockers, so this is low on the list.

I have a few bulbs out. There does not seem to be a lamp matrix chart. I can't really make out the list in the schematics to a chart. Does anyone know if a lamp matrix chart exists, and if so point me in the right direction?

#750 4 years ago

So instead of a matrix, each lamp is controlled by it's own connection wire and circuit?

It looks like I have 10 lights out. (I metered the sockets and no power goes to them during lamp test)

J3-1
J1-1
J1-8
J3-19
J1-28
J2-4
j3-16
J3-23
J2-8

The last one is Advance Loop Value 1 from the bottom drop target, but I can not match that up to a description on the list.

I found that Q48 is missing and there is a burn spot in it's place. That maps to J3-16, so that makes sense.

The transistors are almost flush to the board so trying to get a logic probe on the legs while the board is in the machine is going to be near impossible.

#752 4 years ago

Doesn't look like I have the transistors or thermistors handy. Just placed an order for some replacements. I'll post back when I can change these out.

I also ordered some molex connectors to get rid of the wire nuts.

#756 4 years ago

Working on doing some diag on the lamp board while I wait for the new transistors to show up. Schematics tell me that a lamp that is not working leads back to Q37. Q37 is testing good (while on the board which I know is not 100% accurate). Assuming Q37 is good, I am looking up stream. It looks like it leads to resistor R37 and that resistor leads to U3. I have a problem there. The schematic shows the connection going to pin 5/6. I am not sure how to read this. Should I be testing pin 5, pin 6, pin 5 and and 6? How do I read this?

SeaWitch Diagram Chip Pins (resized).jpgSeaWitch Diagram Chip Pins (resized).jpg
#761 4 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate all the help.

Quoted from Chalkey:

I believe it's saying 6, just follow the traces.
Have you verified the socket and wiring end to end already?

No, I haven't been back under the playfield. Just trying to take a look at 1 of the obvious ones.

Quoted from PinNeu:

MC14514B 4-Bit Transparent Latch / 4-to-16 Line Decoder
6 = Pin on the IC MC14514B
5 = Internal Output (S5) on Pin 6[quoted image]

This still sounds weird to me, but if pin 6 is the one to test, I will just ignore the 5.

Quoted from Quench:

How did you test that Q37 is working? because it's not a transistor, it's a SCR (silicon controlled rectifier) and they function differently.
Can't say I've ever seen a single output on one of the 4514 CMOS decoder chips go bad.

found a video on testing the Stern/Bally lamp boards. Put the multi-meter in diode mode, assuming the flat face of the SCR is facing you, put the red lead on the center pin and the black lead on the left pin. A reading of around .6 would indicate the SCR is OK.

I did this on all the SRC's. It did show 1 of the SCR's as not OK, and I was able to track that down to one of lamps that was out. All the others tested good, so I still have 8 I need to figure out.

The chip may be working just fine. I am just trying to find the signal and trace it through. If I don't find the signal at pin 6 then I need to go further upstream.

#763 4 years ago

Thanks @quench! It may be a day or 2 before I can try that out, but this is great information. The MCR's are soldered very close to the board, not sure I can get to the pins reliably, but I will see what I can do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
$ 69.00
3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wondermellon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-seawitch-fans-on-pinside?tu=wondermellon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.