2790E18D-3112-4CFC-AB67-6ED1C2DAC8BB (resized).jpeg
CB8A75C8-BFA1-45B2-872F-FFB0BA4B13A9 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230415_143240111 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205100473 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205634213 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #209 Replacement Shooter Lane Ball Gate by Cliffy Posted by Cliffy (8 years ago)

Post #391 Link to IPDB for manual / schematics. Posted by frunch (6 years ago)

Post #512 Link for guide to wiring in new rectifier board. Posted by Chalkey (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 10 years ago

Very thankful there is one to play at Alameda. Neat game.
-mof

11 months later
#61 9 years ago

Sending in my request to the pinball gods to allow me into this club in the next year...
-mof

1 month later
#63 9 years ago

Are you in the club when you OWN it, or when it's in your GARAGE?
=)
-mof

#64 9 years ago

Where's a good place to get a set of 11 drop targets?
-mof

#67 9 years ago

What is the official Stern Seawitch plastic/metal acorn?
The one I picked up has the squeezable rubber kind. (I just use those when I'm in the middle of shopping/playing)
-mof

#69 9 years ago

Next SW question -- what's the best kit to use for flipper rebuilds? I see the stock ones at PBL
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2359
-mof

#70 9 years ago

Wondering which set of holes is proper for Seawitch?
I'd like to order before my STI shipment arrives...

-mof

holes.pngholes.png

#71 9 years ago

I'm starting to wonder if we only have a few Seawitch owners on Pinside. Seems kinda quiet in here !

(2500 made)

-mof

1 week later
#72 9 years ago

If someone can identify this piece and take a pic of it for me, it may require removing it from the game.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-seawitch-mof-20141015
thanks,
mof

missing part.jpgmissing part.jpg

#75 9 years ago

I have the good word from Cliffy that he'll give it a shot to reproduce the infamous missing Seawitch shooter lane guide. But -- he'll need a hero that would be willing to ship out the part to him for reproduction.

Hey SW owners, who wants to be a pinball hero?
A few of us just can't play our SW until a generous donor surfaces.

-mof

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

Cliff is a great guy, I knew he'd hook it up for you. I'll ship one to him this week.

Wow, there are some great people in pinball... Seawitch owners thank you !!!
-mof

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

I would like to join the club.
Picked mine up last month at the local auction game sales auction.
Did some minor repairs and installed a new backglass and its playing great

Who did you buy your BG from?
-mof

#81 9 years ago

Missing Seawitch part.

Who else needs this part. I may stop by Cliffy's this weekend or next, and he asked how many of these need to be made?

-mof

seawitch part.jpgseawitch part.jpg

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

I don't need one, but i have considered replacing the flap with thicker spring steel so the ball doesn't spring away from the upper flipper when you make the orbit. It would be cool to be able to repeat the shot.

Can you say more about that? This is important info when considering making a better part with Cliffy.
-mof

#84 9 years ago

It sounds like Steve Young HAS the part...
I'm surprised he wasn't asked last time the thread came up...

"Rail with bracket riveted on"
1 X A-667 Ball Guide $6.50ea + Shipping"

-mof

#86 9 years ago

When you get a strong shot around the orbit from the upper right flipper, it will fly around, hit the spring steel, and bounce away from the upper right flipper so you can't make a second shot at the orbit. The spring steel on mine is fairly thin, so it will give a little when the ball comes around the orbit with any velocity. I thought if the spring steel were thicker, it would be able to withstand the ball coming around the orbit. it would require a stronger plunge to put the ball into play through the stronger spring steel, but seems like a trade-off i would be willing to make.
The orbit is not really the focus of the rules, but I find it fun to try to repeat orbit shots for some flow.

CLEAR.

When my part comes from Steve Young, I'll take it to Cliffy's and see if we can improve it.

-mof

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from Slim2013:

All these posts and nothing about Ali !

Son, you are lost -- this is the Seawitch club.
-mof

#90 9 years ago

Is anyone planning to make a set of rails for this game when John G. releases the new playfields?
-mof

#92 9 years ago

Anyone know off hand where the PF GI connectors are on SW?
-mof

1 week later
#94 9 years ago

Anyone have a Seawitch or other 1980 Stern transformer schematic?
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2089/Stern_1980_Seawitch_schematics.pdf
found it...
thanks!
-mof

1 week later
#95 9 years ago

I'm trying to improve a few shots:

1. Right flipper to left orbit
2. Left flipper to right orbit

I'm looking at ways make the shots more make-able. I'd say left orbit is like 1/20 and right orbit is like 1/8 or so.

I'm wondering if a shorter upper flipper would help. I'm going to try putting lightning flippers on there or even un-stamped Williams flippers to make them more narrow. I know it's all blasphemy , but every millimeter I can gain to make the game more enjoyable for those upper orbits will help. I'd rather open up the orbits to increase the fun, AND open up the outlanes to increase the brutality.

-mof

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Maybe you have the wrong coil stops installed?

Ah, no all 4 flippers are new Terry rebuilds. This isn't a strength issue. It's an angle issue.

I'm thinking of making a wider open angle by making the flippers shorter. Just experimenting.

I'll upload a pic later to show the flipper tip dangling out in the way.

-mof

#98 9 years ago

Now, for Seawitch, where would one find new round white targets with the blue stars on there?

I found stickers on actionpinball, but I'd be open to go with new switch/target assemblies since these guys take a real beating.

-mof

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You need more range of motion, or less?

I solved it. I installed lightning flippers here: I'm making far more orbit shots now from the lower 2.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-seawitch-mof-20141015/page/3#post-2036389
-mof

#101 9 years ago

We'd love to see a movie of your Seawitch in action, hope to see a few more of these:
-mof

3 months later
#102 9 years ago

I'm trying to prep for the upcoming playfield swap.

1. I'm going to order 20 lamp sockets from PBR for the flush mount lamp sockets that will staple in and connect to the GI braid.

2. I'm looking at the drop targets, and from what I'm hearing -- it's best to save the old ones, touch them up and mylar them. Is that accurate?

3. I'm looking at the 4 standup targets. What color should they be? Are they black? I suppose the stars could be repainted and then mylared?

Any other ideas on parts to prepare with? (trying to get a few in a few good orders from PBR/PBL/Marco, etc)

My restore thread is here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-seawitch-mof-20141015

thanks,
-mof

#105 9 years ago

I was thinking about using terminal solder lugs like HEP does. You can see an example here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/voltan-escapes-cosmic-doom-restore-hep/page/5#post-1939831

Oh HELL YES on showing me this suggestion. I came to this idea on my own (using terminal solder lugs) while doing a PF swap on High Speed (I hand-cut them out of old switch parts), and now I know I wasn't crazy going that direction. Great to see how the master does it.
-mof

1 month later
#108 9 years ago

pm sent: get it from pbresource: A-667 Ball Guide
-mof

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinballer:

Pinball Resource is sold out!

Find out if they are having more made and PM me.
-mof

3 months later
#121 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Can you make the left orbit easily from the upper flipper? I redid a machine for a guy, had it playing super fast, but man for the life of me I could not hit that shot ever, like maybe once in 100 times. It seemed almost impossible.

No. 0 in 100.

I can make either orbit from the bottom two flippers (1/10 times?), since I put Williams Lightning flippers on the top 2.
Winning.
-mof

#126 8 years ago

I don't think upper right flipper to left side was ever the intention. I'll pay closer attention to seeing if I've ever made it before. I think maybe once. Tough angle...

-mof

#129 8 years ago

not sure -- do need to put in an hour of gameplay and see what happa.
-mof

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Sort of seems like a bit of a design flaw, ripping around that upper loop was what I was looking forward to prior to playing.

Ok, the key here is how sturdy your metal wire guide is that the ball slams into. If you have this thing locked down well, then I can see how it's possible to make this shot. I made it go up 2x a few times but it didn't go all the way around.

I bet you once my John G clearcoated playfield comes, this will definitely make it around.
-mof

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

MOF that has to be one of the best you tube videos of Seawitch gameplay. Your game commentary is awesome

Aw shucks, thanks - ya it's a fun lil' clip... So tough to not swear during those... haha...
-mof

3 months later
#204 8 years ago

I'm gonna place an order for the blue faceted star posts -- does anyone have a head-count on those?
-mof

#214 8 years ago
Quoted from singlebanana:

Nice work! Let us know when it's available.

I'll test it over the weekend and report back my results.
-mof

#220 8 years ago

New Cliffy Seawitch flap w/riveted bracket earns a [pass] stamp from me.

Shots tested:

1. slow plunge (can I plunge to right top flipper): pass
2. hard plunge (can I plunge easily without thinking to top left flipper): pass
3. can I make orbit from lower left flipper: pass
4. can I make orbit from lower right flipper, and feed ball nicely to upper right flipper: pass

Buy with confidence. Oh heck, you already knew that.

Notes:

When I quivered the product in my hand back and forth (comparing the two) I noticed that Cliffy's is slightly thicker and it didn't bow quite as much. This was a feature request that he added in. It's a good idea, and it works just fine with the added thickness. Note: I did not run 100 tests side by side to determine whether EVERYONE should upgrade to it for better performance. I'll let someone else run that set of tests.

When I measured them side by side, I think Cliffy's is 1/16" longer, which has an advantage of reaching the outer wall a bit sooner/better. Also, if someone (like me) wanted to change the flap angle a hair (fill and drill), the LONGER it is, the more options I have for angling the bracket more towards the top, which gives the ball a less steep angle to overcome.

So if I had unlimited resources and time, (and if Cliffy did too, haha) I'd almost ask for one same thickness, and about 1/4" longer so that all shots would have a smaller angle to battle when going around the curve.

Deep bow to Cliff for making yet *another* tiny run of a product that only a few people need, but that was sorely needed...

Some people are in this for the love of the hobby, and what they can contribute to it -- and right there -- there's more proof. I guess you either have it or you don't.

-mof

2 weeks later
#246 8 years ago

Are you able to repeatedly hit the left orbit from the upper right flipper? or does the ball bounce off the spring steel away from the flipper when it comes around? On my original, it bounces away from the flipper, so I can only hit the orbit once at a time.
I think it would be cool if the orbit could be hit multiple times.

I don't think the angles are set up for that by design.

It can be done, but I don't hold my breath for 1% chance-shots...

-mof

9 months later
#286 7 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Just gauging a value in case I decide to sell

Pics lead to a more accurate price. Otherwise $900-$1200 for a good - very good player?
-mof

4 months later
#313 7 years ago

Even in California in 2016-17, they sit for weeks on CL at $1400-$1500.
-mof

#315 7 years ago

I'd say 2-3 in the last year on the west coast for $1500 +/-
Like you say, they don't come along too frequently...

2 years later
#636 5 years ago

There is a fella earlier in this thread -- who made a special plastic for seawitch for this purpose.

2 months later
#687 4 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Never had that issue on my Seawitch

I have a Williams lightning flipper up there on mine, perhaps that helps.
-mof

3 months later
#715 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

improve loops flow

Just watched 5 minutes, and noticed nothing. Need help here.

* what is the problem that the mod solves?
* what is the mod?
* when in the video (timestamp) is the mod working?

thanks
-mof

#717 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

familiar with Seawitch.

Pretty dang familiar with Seawitch.
Cliffy has the thicker stainless steel shooter lane flap for sale.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-stainless-steel-ball-guides/page/2#post-4385844
I have it on mine.
Mof

7 months later
2 years later
#1295 1 year ago

Crazy question.
Where do I find the lamp matrix diagram?
Here -- but why is it not with the actual handbook???

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Stern_Seawitch_Tech_Chart.pdf

#1298 1 year ago

manual and schematics.

Neither has a lamp matrix.

Sorry in Stern-speak it's a "controlled lamp chart"

#1302 1 year ago

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Stern_Seawitch_Tech_Chart.pdf

Thanks guys -- the thing I found on pinball rebel already helped, since it lists the SCR's next to each lamp.

Did Stern not make that chart?

5 months later
#1358 1 year ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

modern flipper bats on this game

ofc went full Williams a long time ago to get lightnings on the top flippers. Opens up the lanes.

#1359 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Replace your Seawitch J-27-1700 sling shot coils with a pair of J-26-1200 sling coils used on the MPU-100 pins

This sounds brilliant, can you share more of your experience, and what pins you've tried this on. Are you saying it's what Stern moved to after seawitch? the smaller coils?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-seawitch-fans-on-pinside?tu=mof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.