2790E18D-3112-4CFC-AB67-6ED1C2DAC8BB (resized).jpeg
CB8A75C8-BFA1-45B2-872F-FFB0BA4B13A9 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230415_143240111 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205100473 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205634213 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #209 Replacement Shooter Lane Ball Gate by Cliffy Posted by Cliffy (8 years ago)

Post #391 Link to IPDB for manual / schematics. Posted by frunch (6 years ago)

Post #512 Link for guide to wiring in new rectifier board. Posted by Chalkey (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#118 8 years ago

forceflow:
and is sold out.

see post about 5 above yours

Quoted from ibuypinballs:

I purchased the last two PBR had in stock, they were NOS.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I don't think upper right flipper to left side was ever the intention. I'll pay closer attention to seeing if I've ever made it before. I think maybe once. Tough angle...
-mof

really??

I've made the 'riptide' shot in both directions from the upper flippers. while it's not an "easy" shot (by any means), it is makeable and I believe that you should be able to "rip" around the loop multiple times with a well-timed flip.

however, I have noticed that on my game, there is definitely not enough space for the ball to "slide" under the upper right flipper back into the shooter lane. in fact, a well placed shot will [trap] the ball between the bottom of the flipper and the playfield plastic below. the flippers are the standard stern part no. 1A-284 shoe/shaft components

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballNZ:

Hi , does anyone have a spare left slingshot plastic? Mine is badly broken and has a piece missing. All the rest are in good condition so I don't want to buy a repro set just for one plastic. I'd consider one of each side.
Regards
Clive

I'm going to be restoring my from top to bottom. if you don't mind waiting a while, I'll post out my old slingshot plastic to you once I take delivery of my reproduction playfield from greatwichjohn.

2 weeks later
#142 8 years ago

I'm kind of bummed out that mine doesn't have that brick pattern on the bottom of the cabinet

1 week later
#168 8 years ago

wow! those look 100% better. what exactly did you use?

2 weeks later
#187 8 years ago

goo-gone (not goof-off) appears to work gently (I had a huge operator's metal sticker right over the center of the apron) but I messed up and then attempted to use isopropol alcohol afterwards clean up some residue which started to break down the paint

#191 8 years ago

it's time that matt merfeld started producing reproduction classic stern aprons!

matt, are you listening?

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

I saw these decals for classic stern aprons. I have not ordered yet. So I can't speak to their quality.
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron_Stern.html

unfortunately, the colors don't look correct for their seawitch apron decal

#196 8 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Remember it is yellow and white on clear. The colors will be spot on. Lee is perfect in regards to original colors. The blue is not on the decal.

ah, it was the black (to show the shape of the apron) that threw me. I guess I should have taken more time to read

#200 8 years ago

I've emailed cliffy a few times and offered to send mine, but I've had no response from him

2 months later
#215 8 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

finally got all parts together to make this entry/orbit assembly. big thanks to JM and mof!

sweet! and pretty cool that I'm a pinball reference now

#219 8 years ago

cdnpinballer:
I may have one. I'll check when I get home tonight and pm you

#223 8 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinballer:

Thank you for looking!

doh! I got busy and forgot to look. I promise to do so tomorrow night

#224 8 years ago

a huge thanks to cliff for getting this done!!

1 week later
#235 8 years ago

seshpilot:
I haven't done that to mine yet, but might take the plunge when I've got some time. I'm on john's list for repro playfield, so if it gets any cleaner, it would be better than what mine currently looks like

just remember to go slow and don't press hard. you don't want to burn through the paint

2 months later
#255 8 years ago

I'm one of the 10 people still waiting for their SG playfield (and I'm also on the SW list). my guess is that we will not see any progress on the seawitch playfields until this summer (june-july) at the earliest

6 months later
#275 7 years ago

greatwichjohn does a really nice repro backglass (and is going to start producing repro playfields soon

check out this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-prepay-500-us-for-a-new-stern-seawitch-or-star-gazer-playfield

5 months later
#320 7 years ago

I got mine 2 years ago for $300, so there are some "deals" to be had. it had a few hacks and the top thumper bumper didn't work (which turned out to a few issues on the power driver board

patiently waiting for greatwichjohn to start completing the seawitch playfields (already have a new backglass from him

2 weeks later
#338 7 years ago

they didn't pay $1499, it looks like a best offer was accepted. I like the fact that it had a make shift piece of metal for the shooter lane divertor
2017-03-08 11_18_08-stern seawitch _ eBay (resized).jpg2017-03-08 11_18_08-stern seawitch _ eBay (resized).jpg

I guess for someone who is one greatwichjohn's playfield list, but didn't have a machine, it was one way (albeit an expensive one) to get you 80% there to building one from scratch

2 weeks later
#352 7 years ago

when soldering the wires directly to the rectifier board, there are some eyelets that you can purchase (they crimp onto the wire and provide a strain relief for the actual soldered connection). I can't remember the exact name, but I think they are still sitting on my creech, so I'll check when I get home. I think that I purchased them from either digi-key or mouser.

#354 7 years ago

A104001CT-ND (resized).jpgA104001CT-ND (resized).jpg

Terminals - Wire to Board Connectors -- A104001CT-ND
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/3-770565-2/A104001CT-ND/2816399

1 week later
#363 7 years ago

very nice

8 months later
#405 6 years ago

Jjsmooth
the blue flipper rubbers were a nice touch. who's are you using?

7 months later
#424 5 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Finally starting my shop out of a seawitch I bought last year. I just realized that mine has white pop bumper caps. Anyone know what the story is behind this? I’ve only seen blue before.
[quoted image]

that's interesting, especially considering that they are hot stamped as well with the outer ringed ribbing. prototype caps (or possibly homemade?

4 months later
#461 5 years ago

1- shooter lane much improved with a "ski jump" instead of the metal flapper, makes RH loop shots easier.

this is the one thing that I would like to see if it's possible to retrofit in my seawitch. it looks like it's 2 or 3 pieces of metal; the ski jump itself, a different outer ball guide which has the cut out that is just over the 1/2 of ball's height under the [jump] and a 2nd (upper section) of ball guide to prevent launched balls from leaving the playfield

1 month later
#619 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

So I found a source for the yellow opaque arrow. Will be ordering minimum 1000, lead time is 4+ weeks. So there should be a flood of new playfields this spring.

at this point, you might as well hold off producing any more seawitch playfields until you receive the yellow arrow inserts. given that you are ordering them, I'm guessing that everyone on the list is going to want them, I know that I do (and based on how long we've already waited, 1 more month isn't going to make that much of a difference

1 month later
#644 5 years ago

for anyone interested in altering their seawitch as cottonm4 did above, I have one extra set of all of the stern parts required to make the change. contact me via pm for details

1 month later
#661 4 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Looking for a seawitch apron that's in better shape than my current one.
If anyone has parted out a playfield and has a spare, please let me know.
The decals available for restoring one are way off on the dark blue.
Thank!

the guys reproducing the classic bally aprons are supposedly going to go the same route with the classic sterns. my understanding is that it's just a matter of time

1 month later
#702 4 years ago

silly question, but have you checked continuity on the wire(s) that should be providing the 5v to the SDU board from the rectifier board?

7 months later
#766 4 years ago

haven't seen the CPR one. I've got john's and it's very nice

5 months later
#915 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I ran into something odd.
Just finished cleaning my old wall-hanger Seawitch and cleaned all the posts by hand.
I just realized the posts are totally different than the ones on my personal game, and even seawitches I see for sale.
Can anyone shed some light on the reason or origin of these strange posts?
They’re actually bright blue using white LED light but they show up red with incandescents! How neat.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

UV light over the years has changed the chemical make-up of the posts. they were originally a deep blue. steve young @ pinball resource was kind enough to re-run these a while back.

4 weeks later
#964 3 years ago

I want your apron. it looks 10x nicer than mine

9 months later
#1079 2 years ago

kevin @ CPR will state that they used the pantone colors listed which is fine, however I think a lot of additional factors come into play (based on what I've personally experienced helping to produce the repro plastics for joust

- I honestly believe that colors that were selected by the artist/designer and indicated on the original drawings, doesn't rule out the possibility that different colors were used (or mixed) on the production items given how long ago some of these were actually originally produced

- pantone chips have a life expectancy of about 12-18 months. at that point you are supposed to purchase a new set. pantone sells both a coated and uncoated set of their color chips for $370. they can change and be rendered useless if not properly stored

- monitor colors can look completely different than what actually gets printed (even if you have an expensive, correctly calibrated monitor. monitors are RGB and most printing process use CMYK

- pinball manufacturers used multiple vendors to source their parts. playfields and plastics alike could be produced by upwards of 4 vendors, each using their own "color mixes" (which also varied lot to lot)

when we did the color selection for the joust plastics, I did so over 5x under completely different environments & conditions (outdoors summer day w/ no cloud cover & overcast, indoors w/ halogen lighting, w/ LED lighting and w/ incandescent lighting) to determine which color chips most closely resembled the unfaded colors on the plastics. it was a very difficult & time consuming process, because I could determine colors and then wait an hour and try and do it all over again and come up with completely different results.

1 year later
#1485 1 year ago

I would start by swapping P1 with P2, 3 or 4 and see if the issue moves with the display or remains with the P1 position. that will help you identify if the problem resides in the display itself (or board) or in the wiring/connector going to P1.

if the issue persists in the P1 position, then clean connector/perform continuity tests on all wires to trace the issue.
if the issue moves, then it could be the edge connector on the display board, the glass display itself or component(s) on the display board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 3.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-seawitch-fans-on-pinside?tu=j_m_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.