2790E18D-3112-4CFC-AB67-6ED1C2DAC8BB (resized).jpeg
CB8A75C8-BFA1-45B2-872F-FFB0BA4B13A9 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230415_143240111 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205100473 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205634213 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #209 Replacement Shooter Lane Ball Gate by Cliffy Posted by Cliffy (8 years ago)

Post #391 Link to IPDB for manual / schematics. Posted by frunch (6 years ago)

Post #512 Link for guide to wiring in new rectifier board. Posted by Chalkey (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bluespin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#317 7 years ago

I think that the prices have been going up on this title in anticipation of greatwichjohn shipping the Seawitch playfields and backglasses. The last two sales through Pinside were at $2300 and $2400. I found a seller that has a really high quality Seawitch but he wants $2600.

Do you feel that there are still any quality Seawitches to be found out there for $2000 or less or should I buy this while I can? I will be attending Allentown this year. Do you think that I will be able to find one there for $2000 or less?

John

3 weeks later
#326 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

And he thanked me for taking it off of his hands, as he was moving and did not want to deal with it.
I am always there to help!

Do you want to double your money? I'd be glad to be help you as well!

#340 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

they didn't pay $1499, it looks like a best offer was accepted. I like the fact that it had a make shift piece of metal for the shooter lane divertor

I guess for someone who is one greatwichjohn's playfield list, but didn't have a machine, it was one way (albeit an expensive one) to get you 80% there to building one from scratch

The seller lists a lot of pinball machines on EBay at prices that are very high even for a retailer "or best offer." He crams a dozen or so pins in his garage. EBay won't show what the real selling price was.

Unfortunately most people don't live anywhere near any of the major pin shows so they would have pay Marco or another retailer full price for replacement parts and try to figure out how to put it together on their own. Most people couldn't do that on their own.

With a populated playfield you would know how to transfer everything to a new playfield.

3 weeks later
#356 7 years ago

I just picked up this beauty and I am bringing it home now. I can't wait to restore it, including a greatwichjohn playfield and backglass.

IMG_0019 (resized).JPGIMG_0019 (resized).JPG

IMG_0052 (resized).JPGIMG_0052 (resized).JPG

#360 7 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

anyone here would have a lead or an idea on how to replace a broken slingshot arm kicker? :s

Pinsiders too-many-pins and ibuypinballs both sell parts.

2 months later
#381 6 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I'm in the process of restoring mine. Waiting on pf being painted and backglass from BGResto.

I would order a Seawitch backglass from @greatwichjohn, and he probably has this in stock. I would order backglasses from manufacturers and retailers that have them on stock, like Greatwichjohn, and only order from bgresto if no one else stocks it or makes it. Bgresto backlog can be six months at times so adding a backglass like Seawitch to his list just makes everyone else wait even longer for their backglasses that no one else will make.

6 months later
#408 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballprincess:

My first machine! I'm in love!

Great start!

7 months later
#420 5 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Finally starting my shop out of a seawitch I bought last year. I just realized that mine has white pop bumper caps. Anyone know what the story is behind this? I’ve only seen blue before.
[quoted image]

2 weeks later
#435 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Two questions... Does anyplace have proper Seawitch pop caps with the stamping around the edges

Steve Young at Pinball Resource makes the pop bumper caps that Marco’s sells. I asked Steve about making proper Seawitch and Star Gazer caps with the hit kind stamping. He said it would require a special die with s $400 set up fee for the die. I offered to pay the setup fee for Star Gazer caps and buy a large lot if he gave me the exclusive on them. He refused. You should be able to find someone who can make labels for that lower ledge that should be hit stamped

#436 5 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Make sure you drop targets are flush with playfield. This drastically cut down on air balls for me.

In another forum a Pinsider said that he made correct tombstone drop targets and is selling them. The ones that Marco’s and Arcade Classics sells (on EBay) are made by Steve Young and are from The original die from the 70s/80s. He die has broken down and has resulted in these badly formed drop targets. Several people over the years on Pinside and klov have pointed this out and asked a Steve to order a new die. Some people have offered to pay for the die or guarantee a minimum number of sales, but Steve still refuses to buy a new die.

You’re better off either; printing labels for your existing drops or coughing up the extra money to buy the newer generation drops. Tomorrow Ill find the forum where this was discussed, including the new sellers contact info

4 weeks later
#442 5 years ago
Quoted from Simkie:

Seawitch fans! I lost the keys to my machine...sad day. Not excited about drilling the locks. I assume these are universal? Any chance of getting a copy? I will pay all expenses!!

I just bought these from Marco's recently. The 7/8" is for the coin door and is pretty standard. The 1-1/8" (for the head lock) contains several parts, including the spacer that you need to install to the left of the lock bar. You can buy the same type locks from any of the pinball sites. IF you drill the locks use an impact driver drill, not a regular drill. Drills take way too much time.

Lock and cam - 7/8 inch keyed-alike LKA78
Lock and cam - 1-1/8 inch keyed-alike LKA118

#444 5 years ago
Quoted from Simkie:

Oh, that's a huge bummer. There aren't any numbers or other identifying marks on the lock :-/. I really wish I could figure out just WHAT I did with the keys, but I'm sure I put them somewhere very, very safe.....4 years and two moves ago. Sigh.
Thanks bluespin for the item numbers!

You could buy a lockpick kit on Amazon. Pinsiders have been about 50% successful using a lock pick

#452 5 years ago

You’ll have to fabricate one. Read post 940 forward in the Meteor club here for basic size info.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past/page/19#post-4603467

1 month later
#459 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

So I got my drop targets level and I'm still getting airballs off the middle bank. I seem to remember someone saying something about putting an additional or different rubber on the posts or something. Anybody have any other airball reduction ideas?

What angle is the playfield at? If it’s higher than six degrees, lower it to six degrees. See if that helps

1 month later
#467 5 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Just joined the club today
What are the "must dos" to the machine to really dial it in?
I see on the TNT video Todd replaced all drops with Steve Young repros. Do the repros drop ok? I'm hesitant to go that route but let me know your thoughts.
It will be a while before I get it running. Lots of hacks to undo.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Consider lowering the ball guide where it meets the upper left flipper, so that it makes a smoother transition to the flipper. Stock build had it drop onto the flipper.

Check the rail guides in the inlanes to make sure that they are secure. Usually they loosen up on Sterns and Bally’s over time. Vid1900 did an article about buying wire from a home improvement store and a wire bending kit from Marco’s to replace these guides

2 weeks later
#537 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

If your interested in a Seawitch glass let me know. Next week I start Marco Specialties PO, & it will be 3-4 weeks for more tempered glass blanks to arrive for printing. I will be going to TPF this year.

greatwichjohn John will you have a booth?

3 weeks later
#630 5 years ago

I found this Seawitch for sale in Tampa for $2300 on Craigslist Incase anyone is looking for one
tampa.craigslist.org link

2 months later
#665 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Got tired of waiting for someone to make me something clear and plasticky, so I made this with the wire bendy kit from Marco's. It was a pain. I'll report back on whether or not it works. Hoping replacing the drop targets in the 4 bank might help as well but I can't find the damned "s" stickers I ordered a billion years ago >
[quoted image]

I suggest that you rebuild the drop target bank; clean the drops, replace the springs, adjust the arm, etc so that it functions 100%. There are some tips in recent posts in the classic Stern forum. Then buy new stickers from tractordoc Pinside shop.

11 months later
#830 4 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Got my witch up and running again! Thanks to all who helped guide me in the right direction. Now that it's working, I have another question:
The first time I complete either of the 4-target banks, it awards an extra ball. This seems premature/way too easy. Is this normal? Is there a setting that needs to be changed to make this more difficult or am I experiencing some sort of buggy behavior?

I have mine set to reward an extra ball if I drop all eleven targets on the same ball. Not easy to accomplish.

#842 4 years ago

I want to make stencils for an apron repaint using my cameo. The text and some of the art are worn to metal on mine so I’m looking for a better scan. I’ll shoot you a PM.

You could buy an apron decal at this site. While there buy coin door and credit button decals.
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron_Stern.html

#846 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The decals are nice. However, the blue color that is used is not a Seawitch color of blue.

Did Lightning and Seawitch have the same shade of blue on their aprons?

#856 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Here is a partial pic of my Seawitch apron and the apron decal I got from Pinball Rescue.
Let me say first off that the decal I got form Lee for my Star Gazer was dead on the money for color. The yellow is yellow. It looks nice.
The one you see here looks nice. It is very good quality. But the blue color is just not there. I don't know where they come up with this shade of blue. It does not match the blue on my Nine Ball, either.
[quoted image]

That decal doesn’t match Lightning either.

1 month later
#882 3 years ago

Does anyone have a line on playfield hangers that’ll fit Seawitch? Mine are bent enough that they screw up the alignment of the playfield in the cabinet. (Plus corroded and generally funky.) I could work with what I’ve got but figured it would be better to get new ones if I could find them.

Mantis Amusements makes them

#884 3 years ago

I reached out to Mantis last month. Kerry said they don’t have playfield hangers for Seawitch.

Follow this link and measure your hangers against his specs. He used to advertise that he had hangers for classic sterns

https://mantispinball.com/product-category/stern/
https://mantispinball.com/product-category/misc/

2 months later
#941 3 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

Think i have it all running the way its sposed to now. As for why my HSTD was not displaying, i changed a mpu dip switch to turn that feature back on. I also changed the first replay value to 10,000 to act as my “freeplay”. Other than that i replaced 3 SCR’s and all controlled lamps are lighting now. Pretty happy where i am today compared to where i started - which was a game that wasn’t booting lol.
Now its time to take apart all the mechs to clean and replace those broken switch capacitors that always seem to have a leg snapped off. New rubbers and a top side cleaning. Think its gonna come out nice. There is a bit of wear on the pf that i won’t touch up. Artistic work like color matching is def not my forté.
Drop targets. I have the 4 in the middle that are incorrect (not the Blue S). I can replace those but they’ll be so white compared to the other banks. So i can buy a kit to replace all of them - but is there a preferred source for these? Marco or PBR - are they both the selling the same? I thought i read something about the replacements somewhere..

Pbr makes almost all the drop targets and pop bumper caps. Marcos buys from PBR and adds a fat markup.

#951 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Anybody know of where I can get a coin door for a Seawitch? The one I have is kind of beat up (see pic) and I am looking for something a bit cleaner. Thanks in advance!
[quoted image]

Disassemble the door and soak the door and trim in evaporust. Paint the door, trim and bolts in silvertone hammer spray paint. Pinball Resource may have a coin reject button, or you can try Marcos. Buy new coin door large square decal and a credit button decal. You door will look brand new.

#954 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Wow. Thank you! That’s great advice. Will do it.

That coin door looks better than most I see for sale used. Does it close smoothly? The bottom right edge looks like someone tried to pry it open at some point.

1 week later
#980 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

What Mothers product did you use? The cleaning wax?

I’d recommend using Blitz wax. https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=Blitz

3 months later
#1000 3 years ago

Does anyone have clean copies of the various warning labels in the cabinet and head that I could use to print new ones?

Have you checked here?
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

2 months later
#1053 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I need a backglass. There are basically 3 options available. CPR, Marco from an unknown new supplier and BGresto. Anybody buy one of these? Are you happy with it? Please let me know your thoughts on the subject.

Marcos buy their glass from either Greatwichjohn or Cpr. I’d buy from Greatwichjohn first, and cpr second. I would buy this title from Bgresto since I can buy off the shelf from the other two vendors, and a Bgresto order will take 2-6 months to deliver.

3 months later
#1101 2 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Interesting theory.
I thought original Production Seawitch has this problem also. Or is this only rebuild Seawitch?

My original has this problem

1 month later
#1175 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Anyone have a nice scan of the spinner? If not I'll just whip something up in Photoshop.

TractorDoc Are you still making decals for classic Sterns?

#1178 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Only issue I can think of is I'd have to check dimensions as I'm not using a Stern spinner.

Paint the spinner white, and if the decal is smaller than the spinner then it should blend in?

1 week later
#1196 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I really like his style as a total stucky ball protector which is what my jumpy ass seawitch needs

I also need one.

5 months later
#1236 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Yeah, no complaints from me on mine..it's as good as I'd expect from a pin 5 years older than me. Just pointing out it's not perfect
I'm getting BOATLOADS of airballs (and unfortunately left drains following the plastic down) from my left flipper. I know there are resistors that can be wired in, EOS can be gapped wider, coils can be downgraded, etc... what's the consensus in 2022 on what's best? Might as well add some more parts to my next pbl order...

The upper flippers should have weaker coils that the lower flippers because the upper left flipper is very close to the center drop target bank. Many people have built plastic guards to install above the left upper flipper to deal with the air balls.

3 months later
#1287 1 year ago
Quoted from Rcarpen22:

Thanks! The previous owner did the LED swap. It does look great. I absolutely suck at it though. This is the only one of my pins where I seem to not be getting any better the more I play it. But I still play it a lot because it’s just such a great game.

Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

It's a cruel game lol. I'm not particularly amazing at it either, but I finally knocked off my friend's high score yesterday, albeit only by 2000 (I tilted away my last ball). I love Seawitch though!
[quoted image]

I've met a few people that didn't know about the bonus multiplier qualification process, and that may be what's keeping your scores low. You have three drop target banks, each with a white X insert in front of it. At the start of the game, you need to qualify the bonus multiplier. You do this by dropping all the targets on any one of the three banks. Let's say you drop all of the targets on the center bank next to the upper left flipper (easiest). The large X will light up one of the other banks randomly. Let's say it's the lower bank. You clear all the drops on the lower bank and now you're at 2X. Then one of the other two banks will be lit, drop all those targets and you go to 3X. At this point to get to 4X, you need to qualify any of the drop target banks, then repeat the process of dropping all the targets in the lit bank, rinse and repeat until you get to 7X.

When you start ball three, if your bonus multiplier is greater than 3X, your bonus multiplier will be dropped to 3X at the start of ball three. You then go through the qualification process again, and work to get your bonus multiplier back to 7X.

9 months later
#1443 1 year ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

New rectifier board installed today, the game boots up, I can add credits, start a game and play...well, I could if the solenoids fired. Most of the switches working, surprisingly most of the lights too, sound is working, but the only solenoid that will fire (even in the self test) is the knocker. I checked the fuses (including the 1a under the pf) and still no dice. I even swapped that 1a one and tested again, since I read that could be the issue in an old thread. Is my solenoid board fubar, or is there something else I should be checking? On the off chance that all of the coils were magically dead, I did swap a coil just to be sure and still nothing. I'm leaning towards it being a bad pinout on one of the connectors vs the board itself, just not sure how to narrow that down.
Any ideas where to start?

Did you take the 1amp fuse out of the clip and test it? Maybe the fuse clip is bad.

1 month later
#1516 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have to ask. What are Mantis flat rails?

He’s talking about the metal ball guides. https://mantispinball.com/product/seawitch-ball-guide-set/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 3.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bluespin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-seawitch-fans-on-pinside?tu=bluespin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.