2790E18D-3112-4CFC-AB67-6ED1C2DAC8BB (resized).jpeg
CB8A75C8-BFA1-45B2-872F-FFB0BA4B13A9 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230415_143240111 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205100473 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205634213 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #209 Replacement Shooter Lane Ball Gate by Cliffy Posted by Cliffy (8 years ago)

Post #391 Link to IPDB for manual / schematics. Posted by frunch (6 years ago)

Post #512 Link for guide to wiring in new rectifier board. Posted by Chalkey (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Shenanigander.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#466 5 years ago

Just joined the club today

What are the "must dos" to the machine to really dial it in?

I see on the TNT video Todd replaced all drops with Steve Young repros. Do the repros drop ok? I'm hesitant to go that route but let me know your thoughts.

It will be a while before I get it running. Lots of hacks to undo.

20190104_173625 (resized).jpg20190104_173625 (resized).jpg20190104_173730 (resized).jpg20190104_173730 (resized).jpg
#472 5 years ago

Lots of great suggestions! Thanks all. Looking forward to the restore!!!!!

There is wall to wall mylar. Don't think it was factory but it definitely preserved the playfield especially considering the ball that was in the game! Ouch!!!!

20190104_233421 (resized).jpg20190104_233421 (resized).jpg
#474 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Rusty ball from no action. That pin has not been played for a long time.

Weird for sure. Was stored well. In a games room but not been working for a while he said.

20190104_131725 (resized).jpg20190104_131725 (resized).jpg
#477 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

I'm playing and tweaking! New member of the club finally. It's a game that I have chased for some time now. Fabbed a Lexan bracket to prevent the glass/plastic jam and it turned out great. Now to clean, touch up and make her all she can be. Snuck some games in and had a blast.

Please do tell. What is the glass/plastic jam? Do you have pics of the lexan mod? I'm about to restore mine and want to know all the tweaks!

#480 5 years ago

Does anyone know the names of the blue colors on seawitch cabinet? Or do I have to just do a custom color match?

#482 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Go to your local paint retailer and start grabbing paint color chips and match your blues that way. Rustoleum spray cans has both the dark blue and light blue that is a pretty good colors match.

I will grab come chips today or tomorrow!!!!!!!

#485 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

It is discussed here with a couple of options. http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Stern_Seawitch
Plexi (Lexan) shaped with a torch, a few brackets, 6x32 machine screws and some nylon lock nuts and I am thrilled. [quoted image]

Very nice. Looks great. Thanks for the info. Blue rubbers look pretty cool on the machine as well. I wonder if yellow rubbers would match well?

#488 5 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

When i colour matched my F2K cab i removed the side rails to reveal the true base colour as opposed to matching the faded paint. I just wheeled the cab in the store and had them match with their fancy machine. Was kinda funny but we fot a perfect match lol

Haha that is awesome! I got a $5 sample of what I thought was the baby blue but it is too light so I will try to color match it better.

20190107_212617 (resized).jpg20190107_212617 (resized).jpg20190108_135220 (resized).jpg20190108_135220 (resized).jpg20190109_150356 (resized).jpg20190109_150356 (resized).jpg20190109_165402 (resized).jpg20190109_165402 (resized).jpg
#489 5 years ago

I finally have my Seawitch working now!!!!!

MPU was crashing upon boot up. Disconnected sound board and that stopped the crashing.

Ultimately swapped to an Altek MPU but pretty sure the issue was 2 shorted pop bumper coils. Someone had a 5 amp fuse in place of the 1 amp fuse for the playfield which did not help the matter. Clipped the 2 coil wires for now and changed to a 1 amp playfield fuse.

Could not start a game and do any testing till I found a wire slightly off one of the coin door switches. Soldered that and was able to start a game.

One GI wire was off on the back right of the payfield as it was catching the slide rail. Soldered that back on and moved the wires out of the way of the rail and GI is back in action.

Cleaned ball drain switch so it actually registered and then played a game!!

Tried plugging in sound board cables to the Altek MPU and sound is working with no crashes!!!!

Lastly there were no controlled inserts. Test point 1 on the power supply getting no voltage. Swapped BR1 (bridge) and still no change. Turns out the fuse clip was dirty. Took a dremel to the fuse clips and BOOM we have controlled lamps!

Been a fun project. Next up is cabinet paint, playfield and plastics, drop targets and flipper rebuilds! Then siegecraft adapters and LED's!!!!!

#490 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Thanks. That was the previous owners doing. I am still trying to decide if I want to keep them or go back to original.

White titan silicone rubber might look pretty sharp!!!! I may actually consider the yellow!

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=33&product_id=52

#504 5 years ago

If I powdercoat legs on my Seawitch what color would look best? White, Blue, Yellow? Neither?

#508 5 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Amazing outlane save on Seawitch by Jason Werdrick at INDISC
https://clips.twitch.tv/DependableRacyMangetoutDatSheffy

Seen that live. It was amazing. If he did not make that save he would have been eliminated that round. That Save allowed him to advance to the next round.

#518 5 years ago

Well I gambled with white powder coated legs!

20190120_162327 (resized).jpg20190120_162327 (resized).jpg20190120_162345 (resized).jpg20190120_162345 (resized).jpg20190120_162405 (resized).jpg20190120_162405 (resized).jpg20190120_162431 (resized).jpg20190120_162431 (resized).jpg
#530 5 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

I'm in... can't wait to get it set up![quoted image]

Congrats!!!!!!!

#535 5 years ago

Posted my old plastics. Some good ones in there.

ebay.com link: itm

#559 5 years ago

Nice work cotton! Keep up the good work!

#560 5 years ago

I just tried seigecraft adapters for the 1st time and LED'd my entire game. They work good. I will use again for sure. Much cheaper than buying a whole new lamp driver.

20190125_143030 (resized).jpg20190125_143030 (resized).jpg
#566 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Once I get the loop guide part number from Stern (and I will) there would be no point to involve Mantis or Cliffy. They would both need a Stern part to measure from and use as a pattern.
The only reason to involve these two is if Stern will not sell the parts. I just bought the ramp so I'm thinking Stern likes taking in the money. For right now, anyway.

Nice work. Keep er going cotton!

#567 5 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Yup. I’ve got more of those kits than I can count at this point. Good stuff

I think I will be implementing these more often!

#571 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thank you. I have managed to shoot one double loop tonight. No matter how I set it up, I don't think I will doing too many multi-loops like some of the Beatles playing guys have said they have gotten on the Beatles pin.
But it is nice to see that ball come down on a trajectory that looks like it was planned. And the only way I was able to square up the spinner is due to some space opening up with removal of the flap gate.

Yes! That original design makes me sad.

#574 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My contact at Stern has given me the part numbers.
The number for the guide in gray color is 535-1888-01. This for sure is the one you will need, unless you cobble something together as I have done.
The second part number, for the guide in green in the pic is 535-1888-07. We need to talk about this one.

So, to get all of the part numbers in on place:
1) shooter lane ball ramp........................535-1888-04. Known internally as Guide #4
2) ball loop guide...................................535-1888-01 I would assume this is Guide #1
3) skill shot gate bracket.........................535-1488-00
4) skill shot gate wire..............................535-1536-00
5) 535-1888-07 (I don't know what it is called. The green one, I guess). Even with my shooter mods I am going to need to make an upper guide as the ball will launch onto the plastic sometimes. So, I need something. But I am not sure this guide will fit under Seawitch's short play field glass without some sort of modification of cutting some material off of the top . I know I can make an effective guide for less than $10.00 and I will probably go with that.
[quoted image]
If anyone decides to make this mod to their Seawitch they are going to need this upper ball guide or make one of their own.
Also, my little ball guide, that I made for around $10.00, seems to be working well so I will probably not be buying the loop guide. Since the ramp cost me $39.00 shipped I am guessing the ball loop guide will cost every bit of that. That's a lot of money for something that is probably not going to enhance game play very much, if any at all.
I'm not sorry I spent the money. I like fabricating things and fooling around. But to tell anyone that this is a must-have mod would be a lie. So far, I have managed to hit 4 or 5 double loop shots and I can not see much improvement when compared to the factory flap gate. But it looks cleaner, IMO.
The one big benefit from this exercise is that I was able to square up my spinner for better alignment with the lower left flipper trajectory. I never had noticed that the spinner was sitting off-angle to the flipper. And the reason it was located this way was to work around the flap gate mounting angle and its two attachment screws.
I have tell you, I never was impressed with the spinner on my Seawitch. It just never could gain momentum and get any kind of ripping action. I did nothing but square it up and I have been getting some decent spinner action.
I highly recommend that everybody try to square up their spinner. All you have to do is move the post forward a little bit and drill one new (worthwhile) hole. You will need to mod the post to allow it to fit over one the flap gate's bracket screws. And that screw will be hidden.
Good Luck.

Very interesting read cotton!

I also had to adjust my spinner. The front edge of the slipper was "leaning" towards the ball and there was not much adjustment available for me to change this. I usually adjust the tension on the spinner switch under the playfield ie I will pull the switch down to pull on the spinner to try to straighten the spinner so it is more vertical. I did this as much as I could but it still would not go perfectly vertical.

I still could make spinner shots ok but the ball seemed to sort of clip the front edge of the spinner as it entered and did not seem smooth. I was not satisfied with the angle of the spinner or the cleanliness of the shot.

I took a look at other games I had and noticed that on my Flash Gordon and maybe my Stars (I forget now) the spinners were mounted on the shorter star posts. My Seawitch spinner was mounted on the taller star posts. I swapped the tall star posts out and put in the shorter ones to lower the spinner for a cleaner entrance. This also allowed for more manipulation of the spinner switch underneath so I was able to get the spinner to stand up more vertical.

The spinner still leans back a bit and I want to try to get it straighter but it works much better now!

I am curious now....are everyone's seawitch spinners mounted on tall or short star posts?

Any other spinner adjustment tips? I think I have tried everything. I think the balance of the spinner itself could be off and not much you can do in some cases?

20190130_122033 (resized).jpg20190130_122033 (resized).jpg20190130_122044 (resized).jpg20190130_122044 (resized).jpg20190130_122049 (resized).jpg20190130_122049 (resized).jpg20190130_122058 (resized).jpg20190130_122058 (resized).jpg
#577 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My Big Game, Seawitch, and Dragonfist spinners are mounted on tall posts. My Catacomb is mounted on short posts. I had not noticed this. I am going to swap it to tall posts which is the opposite of what you just did with your Seawitch. The reason I want tall posts is that the ball only needs to make very small contact with the spinner to make it spin. If you leave yours on those short posts more of the lower area of your spinner is going to lose paint because of your now larger ball contact area. I'll have to get you pics of my worn out Catacomb spinner so can see.
The forward angle on your Witch spinner that you are speaking of is a problem I also have with my Seawitch and some times it can disturb the hit. That angle crap happened after I made some adjustments to the spinner wires. All I/you need to fix that is moved the spinner switch back on the underside of the play field, fill the old holes with dowel rod and drill two new holes. I have my spinner balanced and spinning well and I do not want to jeopardize that by trying to adjust the angle out of it with the wires. I will be moving my switch backwards shortly; It is on my to-do list.
EDIT: just to be sure, the angle I was speaking of in my post about that, is the angle of the spinner cage and not the spinner itself.

So you suggest moving the spinner switch backwards a little bit under the Playfield to straighten up the spinner?

Quoted from Chalkey:

Your spinners arms have likely been bent slightly back by constant abuse. Look at it from above and make sure it is a straight plane through the middle. It'll hang correctly afterwards. Make sure all the angles on the wires are very uniform for max spinnage.

Unfortunately I did try that. I had the spinner out of the bracket and tried to straighten every single possible angle.

#583 5 years ago

Hmmm. I think I will have to revisit this and post some photos. I will remove the spinner completely again and try and square everything up again. I'm hoping for success but last time I tried that there was no adjustment that I could make that would get the spinner to sit vertical. I may even try tall star posts again. I feel like I had to rely on the tension the spinner switch to assist in getting a vertical rest on the spinner. I will mess around again and see what I can come up with.

#585 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Spinner should always be adjusted at the arms on the spinner never by tension of the rod.
You should be able to remove the rod and still have the spinner sitting at any angle you want just with arm adjustments.

That is what I was thinking but was not able to get that result the first time I had the spinner out. I will mess with it again and see if I can get it to rest perfectly out of the machine without the rod attached.

#587 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Call me tommorow if you want. ( later today)

Haha cool. Why the hell are we up at 4 a.m. anyways LOL

#594 5 years ago

Excellent write up guys. I will see what I can figure out maybe later today but had the same issue as cotton. No adjustment got rid of the lean. I will try again though.

Cotton you likely have a shorted cap on whatever switch scores 7k. Cut that cap and see if the issue goes away.

You can put in switch test and see what switch number pops up on the display and track it down that way.

#595 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The weather reporters around here talk like the disaster-ly cold we are having stops at the border. I'm figuring at 4am you are adding another log to the fire.

The temp in the last 24 hours has been in the -20's Celsius and with wind chill about -30 give or take. Feels like -33 right now. It is face freezing out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.s. Best new term of the year from chalkey "spinocity"

#597 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

It's just physics, it will hang straight if you get it aligned properly. Putting one arm at an angle and trying to pull down on it with your switch is only going to reduce your spintential but it seems you're not liking the flavor of my kool-aid anyways so I'll drop it.

Spintential lol nice!

I do appreciate your efforts and advice. Thanks you! I also agree with you that with perfectly straight and square arms etc it should sit vertical. I am just wondering that if there is some variation in the manufacturing of spinners form one to another that could be a variable to consider.

#600 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Got all my connectors repinned yesterday.
Went fairly quickly [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice. I just did 3 of my seawitch display connectors. For some reason many wires had insulation worn off just enough to expose some bare wire here and there and there was many wires with electrical tape on them covering up the exposed wire. I cut off all the frayed wires which were all near the connectors (very odd) and tidied that all up. I will have to post a pic. There are so many wires in the head with electrical tape covering up minor insulation wear. Like maybe 40 wires.

What would cause this?

#603 5 years ago

Best way to describe this is to show pics. I have tidied up some of this stuff but still have much more work ahead of me.

I don't think mice as no wires are "chewed" through. Just insulation wear.

20190201_102827 (resized).jpg20190201_102827 (resized).jpg20190201_102854 (resized).jpg20190201_102854 (resized).jpg20190201_102907 (resized).jpg20190201_102907 (resized).jpg20190201_102917 (resized).jpg20190201_102917 (resized).jpg20190201_102957 (resized).jpg20190201_102957 (resized).jpg20190201_103029 (resized).jpg20190201_103029 (resized).jpg
#605 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I think dasvis is correct. Mice. Eating the insulation but leaving the wire alone.
I trick I learned recently for striped wiring: Acrylic paint and a small paint brush. Say you to need a white wire with orange stripes. Get the correct white wire and some orange acrylic paint and make your own striped wire. Cut the bad out, solder in the new, shrink wrap it.

Ahh ok that does make sense. Thanks for the tip! Time to stock up on shrink tube!

#607 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

What are these two middle post supposed to look like?
I can’t get a nut to fit on either one of mine so they just flop about loose under the plastic right now.
I assume my setup is not factory.
So any part numbers I may need for new post screws if needed are appreciated.
[quoted image]

My two middle ones were Phillips wood screws. The same ones that are used throughout the Playfield on other star posts.

#628 5 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

And rails are now available. Taylor made a template from my set. He can make them to order now.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Sexy!

1 week later
#635 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Finally stopped my ball jams over the left Flipper using a part on hand.
I had an old comet populated playfield that I use for parts and it just happend to have this nice metal part that was used to prevent ball jams under the plastic ramp. Works nicely to guide any errant fly balls right back down to the Seawitch playfield.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! I have to find/make something myself still!

9 months later
#738 4 years ago

Just posted my very nice and fully LED'd Seawitch. Just ran it through 2 tournaments this month and she is super reliable!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/84765

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 69.00
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 3.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Shenanigander.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-seawitch-fans-on-pinside?tu=Shenanigander and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.