2790E18D-3112-4CFC-AB67-6ED1C2DAC8BB (resized).jpeg
CB8A75C8-BFA1-45B2-872F-FFB0BA4B13A9 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230415_143240111 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205100473 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205634213 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #209 Replacement Shooter Lane Ball Gate by Cliffy Posted by Cliffy (8 years ago)

Post #391 Link to IPDB for manual / schematics. Posted by frunch (6 years ago)

Post #512 Link for guide to wiring in new rectifier board. Posted by Chalkey (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KSUWildcatFan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1230 2 years ago

Officially in the club! Though I have a (VERY ROUGH) galaxy in my shop, pending Quicksilver conversion, I've missed having a classic stern in my lineup since I let loose of my Meteor a while back. Swapped my problematic hardtopped Eight Ball Deluxe for this and cash. I've got some minor adjustments to do and it badly needed the GI redone but it should be a decent player soon.

20220226_110911 (resized).jpg20220226_110911 (resized).jpg20220226_140250 (resized).jpg20220226_140250 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220226-163759_Messenger (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220226-163759_Messenger (resized).jpg20220226_155246 (resized).jpg20220226_155246 (resized).jpgreceived_1007613770173458 (resized).jpegreceived_1007613770173458 (resized).jpeg
#1232 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Wow that thing's in great shape!

It's a solid enough original playfield, but definitely not perfect. It's within the realm of touch up and clearcoat possibility someday in the future, I think. The plastics and backglass are CPR replacements.

I'll probably work on gradually molexing the drop banks and getting it closer to being ready for a teardown someday if I decide to do that.

Pretty pleased with the game thus far, it's a real ass-kicker!

IMG_20220226_145320_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20220226_145320_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20220226_145320_02 (resized).jpgIMG_20220226_145320_02 (resized).jpgIMG_20220226_145320_03 (resized).jpgIMG_20220226_145320_03 (resized).jpgIMG_20220226_145320_04 (resized).jpgIMG_20220226_145320_04 (resized).jpgIMG_20220226_145320_05 (resized).jpgIMG_20220226_145320_05 (resized).jpg
#1234 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I started with worse.
Not perfect but it was a $60 wall hanger.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, no complaints from me on mine..it's as good as I'd expect from a pin 5 years older than me. Just pointing out it's not perfect

I'm getting BOATLOADS of airballs (and unfortunately left drains following the plastic down) from my left flipper. I know there are resistors that can be wired in, EOS can be gapped wider, coils can be downgraded, etc... what's the consensus in 2022 on what's best? Might as well add some more parts to my next pbl order...

#1238 2 years ago

Looks like mine has AQ-25-500/34-500 coils for all four flippers.

Also, my tilt....only kind of works. If I HOLD the bob against the bracket it *might* tilt. Maybe. Sometimes. I really need to sort that out... :/

20220226_202513 (resized).jpg20220226_202513 (resized).jpg20220226_202519 (resized).jpg20220226_202519 (resized).jpg
#1240 2 years ago

Damn, eagle eyes! Yep, I see that wire now. Soldered back in and tilt is good to go. Maybe a bit too sensitive now.... lol. Guess no more slide saves

Ordering some coils, I'll swap those all in when they're here. Might as well rebuild flippers while I'm at it, God only knows when it was done last.

#1242 2 years ago

My center drops were sitting a hair low so I shimmed them ever so slightly in order to prevent stuck balls, but other than that they seemed okay to me. Inserts don't seem too out of sorts (although those riptide arrows are slightly raised I believe). I'm going to try all new coils (600 up top, 475 down low) as indicated above and see what happens.

1 month later
#1243 2 years ago

Finally got the top coils swapped over to 600s. Still getting airballs unfortunately. With deflectors no longer being available, what's my next step? Resistors? EOS? Smashing my head into a wall? Haven't swapped my lower 500s to 475s but I don't really expect a lot of difference tbh. Power from the flippers seems fine as is.

Also got my Evos installed. Didn't like the translucent blue caps I bought so I swapped the OGs back in while I look around for something different. Think I may try changing GI over to cool white to see how I like that, I've never been a huge fan of how the cool white underglow of evos contrasts against anything OTHER than cool white GI. My High Speed is a similar deal with warm white GI and Evos and I just don't like the contrast. But imo cool white GI only SOMETIMES works. Witch might be the case where it does.

IMG_20220416_120947_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20220416_120947_01 (resized).jpg20220416_151451 (resized).jpg20220416_151451 (resized).jpg20220416_151459 (resized).jpg20220416_151459 (resized).jpg20220416_180053 (resized).jpg20220416_180053 (resized).jpg20220416_180058 (resized).jpg20220416_180058 (resized).jpg
#1245 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Looking good. Next time you come down to Flashball's, get with me. I have some plastic laying around. We can make you a defector.

I really need to do something about my Galaxy lane guide situation too. It's....sad. these classic sterns are going to be the death of me.

#1247 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I lean toward cool white GI for blue play field and warm white for green play field. With my Seawitch, I went with these ice blue LEDs. I like the effect.
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/1smd-non-ghosting
I cannot get LEDs for photograph all that well, but the blue overtones really make the play filed pop. Come down and see it.
[quoted image]

Blue GI?! Noooooooo!!! Gotta stick with the various tones of white!

I keep trying to come up with a reason for you to come visit Tecumseh but man.. there's not much here lol

#1249 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, I know a guy up there who has:
Gorgar - haven't even tried booting it yet
LAH - in pieces, need to finish cleaning up for my buddy
Mata Hari - finished hardtop #1, starting on #2
TRON
Taxi - leaving soon
LOTR
Metallica
High Speed
Galaxy -- 2021 code is awesome!
BASEBALL ! Slugfest
Bad Cats
BK2K
WCS
and Roy Clark - missing one drop target but working otherwise
If these are all playing well, it would be worth the trip.

Haha! Come play em!

#1251 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Inserts all level? airballs are pretty infrequent on my Seawitch... sometimes running too much pitch can cause airballs as well.. so obviously, if you must run that angle, then you need some other creative solution.. but tbh, the game may play faster, but I find the difficulty less with greater pitch unless you compensate with wider outlanes...

I'm sure my pitch is......high. I've got it slammed in the front and pretty sure it's jacked up most/all of the way in the back. Idk, I'll check when I'm home. I just figured it would be best set up aggressive. I can't stand when games play slow and lazy...

#1254 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It easier to target the orbit shots if you do not set up too steep. I think I was at 6% slope and backed it off to 5.5 % and the orbits were a little easier. Play around with it.
But I like steep. I have Big Game at 6.5% and that is perfect for BG.

Not that I'm entirely certain my phone is accurate buuuuut...it says 7 degrees. The back feet actually aren't as high as I thought they were.

20220417_205053 (resized).jpg20220417_205053 (resized).jpg

Cool white looks good. I'll roll with this.

I swapped out some of my (incorrect) star posts with new jeweled ones also.

20220418_114103 (resized).jpg20220418_114103 (resized).jpg20220418_114114 (resized).jpg20220418_114114 (resized).jpg
#1257 2 years ago
Quoted from PeteLawtPin:

OK so what about those lights on you pop bumpers. What lighting system did you go with for those outside rings to shine?
LOVE it.

https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html

Evos are LIFE. I've got them in my Black Knight 2000, Taxi, High Speed, Seawitch, and World Cup Soccer. They're outstanding.

#1259 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

They are fantastic.
Here is mine on Star Gazer. White caps and white EVOs.
[quoted image]
And on my Catacomb. Again, these are white EVOs. I tried yellow EVOs and they stank. They turned everything a ghastly shade of orange.
[quoted image]
Get your self some of these Data East style 555 sockets from Pinball Life and you are good to go.
[quoted image]
https://www.pinballlife.com/pop-bumper-lamp-socket-with-centering-bracket.html
[quoted image]

I find that yellow LEDs are almost always a complete bust, in all applications. Much safer to stick with warm white in that case.

I use those same sockets. They're great.

I'll be right over to load up that Star Gazer...

3 weeks later
#1271 1 year ago
Quoted from Rcarpen22:

Got one. Very nice restored example. I’m very pleased with it.
[quoted image]

Looks outstanding. I like how your lighting looks bright enough without being too much. I feel like mine is honestly a bit "too much" at times.

Great game, I absolutely adore seawitch.

2 weeks later
#1283 1 year ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Selling a very nice Greatwich Seawitch repro. New, never installed. $525 + shipping from 63122. One small drip in the clear can be sanded out or ignored completely. Will consider local project trades.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pm sent

#1285 1 year ago
Quoted from Rcarpen22:

Thanks! The previous owner did the LED swap. It does look great. I absolutely suck at it though. This is the only one of my pins where I seem to not be getting any better the more I play it. But I still play it a lot because it’s just such a great game.

It's a cruel game lol. I'm not particularly amazing at it either, but I finally knocked off my friend's high score yesterday, albeit only by 2000 (I tilted away my last ball). I love Seawitch though!

20220607_170039 (resized).jpg20220607_170039 (resized).jpg

#1292 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Seawitch, IMO, is one of the more forgiving of the classic Sterns to play.

Man I dunno. Granted I haven't played ALL the classic sterns but of the ones I have, I put seawitch up there on the challenge scale. I think the kinda funky geometry lends a hand to it being a challenge. Granted, the objectives are pretty straightforward, I just think putting it all together can be a challenge. The consensus, at least from the novice pinball players around here, is that Seawitch is by far the most challenging game in my lineup.

3 months later
#1327 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Here is a video showing how to install.

Girl, you fancy. Nice work.

My buddy Bill was astounded that I successfully cleaned and polished my Galaxy apron without ruining it. He said his success rate is very, very low. Heh. I'll have to make an apron, with this same approach, for Quicksilver.

2 months later
#1347 1 year ago

Has anyone ever tried and been successful with lighting up more of the backglass? It drives me bonkers that half of it just doesn't have bulbs behind it because it's such wonderful art. Just feels like it could (and should) be better.

I'm still mixed on whether or not I want to try to open the orbits any. Part of what makes the game great for me is that those loops are a nightmare to make. It's supposed to be nasty -- and it is.

#1356 1 year ago

My P4 display just took a dump while playing and I can't seem to get it sorted.

I don't suppose anyone has a spare 7-digit Bly/Stern display laying around that they'd sell? All I have are 6-digit displays in my shop. D'oh!

3 weeks later
#1364 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

it's amazing the difference that tiny bit of thickness and length can make.

That's what she said.

Quoted from SR230CC:

Got my Swinks drop targets installed. No more bricks. I also installed modern flippers. They don’t help much on the loops but the ball comes off the guides very smooth now.
[quoted image]

Interesting. Mine has modern hooded replacements and they work fine. No issues with bricking or anything like that. My Meteor on the other hand.... Original tombstones worked great in the 123 banks. They were swapped with modern hooded targets for...some reason...and they were awful. They're much better with the Swinks targets. My Meteor bank is also better although I still have two targets that only like to drop about half (but they register, so it's more just annoyance than anything else). I've rebuilt it multiple times but my results never changed, so I gave up for the time being. The targets work great, it's something else.

Interesting note on the flippers too, I guess I never saw the need to switch away from Stern bats.

1 week later
#1376 1 year ago
Quoted from splickety_lit:

This counts as being part of the club right?
Just brought this home, only the playfield. The playfield itself is in fairly rough shape but might make a nice player.
The mechs are pretty clean, some surface rust here and there.
Should clean up nice.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Some plastics, a flipper, and toss 'er in any ol Bally/Stern cab and you're in there!

#1380 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

A Bally cab will work. A Bally back box is different and back glasses will not interchange .

Good point. I guess I didn't realize that.

I'm still planning on building out my Goldeneye frankencab to house Bally/Stern stuff. But it obviously won't accommodate any original glasses since its a DMD cab. HOWEVER it will absolutely accommodate speakers which are front-facing which will be *perfect* for all the games using Arduino-based code and a WavTrigger rather than a SB300 and a down-facing speaker (although I may well cut a hole to integrate an in-cab subwoofer, I haven't decided yet). I've got big plans for that one, but I'm slow-moving on it right now.

#1382 1 year ago

Man, I haven't turned my witch on in several days after my P4 display blew up. I suppose I should start trying to get that dealt with. ;|

#1384 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Hello Seawitch fans. It has been a while since I ran my last batch of "S" deflectors. I get emailed abount making more a couple times a month. I just placed an order with my laser cutter. These should be ready to go within the month. Just need to find the time to assemble them. Same price as last time ($35) if in the US with free shipping.
I am doing a new color too:
Blue
Neon Light Blue
Neon Yellow (NEW / photo coming soon)
PM me, and I will put you on the list.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You KNOW I'm in on this one, PM sent!

3 weeks later
#1396 1 year ago

Got mine and installed immediately. Love it! No more ridiculous side drains.

received_1589029188240593 (resized).jpegreceived_1589029188240593 (resized).jpeg
#1398 1 year ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

What'd you install? The S deflector thing? I didn't quite get get the purpose of it.

Yes. I bought the yellow.

Mine airballs a LOT from that upper left flipper. If yours doesn't then you probably don't need it. I've played around with various coils and resistors and it doesn't seem to matter in my game. The deflector 100% prevents the dumb left drain.

#1401 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Your play field must be sitting 1/8 inch or so lower in your cabinet. This gives your ball clearance to roll over the top of the plastic.
The more common problem is for the ball to get stuck between the glass and the plastic.

I have no idea tbh. I've not really messed much with playfield position. The deflector fixed all my issues and my game is a mean-spirited bitch. I'm good with it.

#1405 1 year ago
Quoted from Trond:

A bar near me has got this machine in pretty decent condition. I'm starting to really like Seawitch.

I love my Witch when I'm good at it. But they're are frequent "dunk on me" games, full of house balls, etc. which make me much more mad. Lol

All in all I'd hate to not have it here.

1 month later
#1415 1 year ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

Joining the club soon! Seawitch is en route and I should have it next week. I’ve not played Seawitch but I’ve played Beatles enough to know that I’ll love the playfield layout. Plus, those sweet, sweet 80s sounds…Like a big stick o’ buttah.
I’ll play this for awhile before tinkering but ultimately I’d like to give it a new playfield. I put my info in the waitlist page on CPR, but if anyone knows of a replacement playfield floating around the pinverse then let me know. Looking forward to chatting it up with you all!

Oh boy. If you started out with Beatles you may haaaaaate the Witch. Good luck! Lmao

#1420 1 year ago

Hahaha, oh boy! I’m already under her spell…the artwork, the old school cabinet, the sounds… If she plays fast then I’ll like her. I like fast games and I was originally looking for an early Borg or Ritchie design when I started looking at Seawitch.
I was wanting something that had quick games with rules that are easy to understand for casual players. It will be a garage game for weekend pinball nights (usually fridays after work) to hang out with friends and neighbors. Something fun that you don’t have to think too much about.

I love my Witch. Seems the common complaint is that the geometry is clunky and the loop is hard to hit. There are some modifications you can make to improve on that if you want. The S deflector (scroll up) is absolutely something you should grab just in case you have issues with airballs.

Witch is fast, and simple. And mean.

I love the game, so you won't ever see me in the group of people complaining about it. But it's nowhere near the 'buttery smooth' feel you'll get out of a Beatles. For me, that's part of its charm. The art is a stunner, too.

#1425 1 year ago

Ordered the S deflector from mad dog yesterday. The game has a deflector on it, but it must be an older design or something…not nearly as elegant-looking as the one I ordered. I’ve looked through the info for the Riptide shot and I’m willing to do that, but I’m not sure I understand it completely…need to dig into that a little more.
I’m okay with a little ‘charm’ in a pinball machine. Even if this was a game alleged to be buttery smooth, I wouldn’t expect anything smooth from a 33-year-old machine. I’m good with something old school to complement my newer stuff.

Quicksilver and Meteor are buttery smooth :p

#1429 1 year ago

I’ve heard that about Quicksilver, and I’ve played a Meteor and I suppose that’s true but I couldn’t get past the constant drone of the sound… “buuuuuhhhhh BUUUUhhhhh BUUUUHHHH!!” I just couldn’t get past it. Maybe if I could’ve turned the sound down I would’ve enjoyed it more. I was at a location, so that was not an option.

Easy fix: Meteor 2021 code. Awesome sound package!

#1431 1 year ago

Aha! While we’re on the subject of updated code and whatnot, I thought I remembered seeing something about updated rule set for Seawitch? I did a search on this thread and couldn’t seem to find mention, but I could’ve sworn I saw something as I was scrolling pages. Unless I dreamed it. Or I was looking at an entirely different thread about an entirely different game, which is highly possible!

Nothing that I'm aware of. I'm pretty okay with both sounds and rules on Seawitch personally. I think it's very well done.

#1433 1 year ago

Well I guess imma find out in another few days! Definitely looking forward to my first classic Stern.

Welcome to the club. Just don't go grab all the ones I want, bud!

#1436 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I would encourage you to get it running and play it for a little bit and check it out. And then tear it down.

This is me with the awful F2K I picked up. Once I know it's in good working shape I can look at potentially swapping, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 10.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 199.95
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KSUWildcatFan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-seawitch-fans-on-pinside?tu=KSUWildcatFan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.