2790E18D-3112-4CFC-AB67-6ED1C2DAC8BB (resized).jpeg
CB8A75C8-BFA1-45B2-872F-FFB0BA4B13A9 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230415_143240111 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205100473 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205634213 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #209 Replacement Shooter Lane Ball Gate by Cliffy Posted by Cliffy (8 years ago)

Post #391 Link to IPDB for manual / schematics. Posted by frunch (6 years ago)

Post #512 Link for guide to wiring in new rectifier board. Posted by Chalkey (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#492 5 years ago

Just got a Seawitch that I am working on.
I have an issue with gameplay when the ball is hit around the left orbit.
When the ball gets to the thin metal flap, it will bow it inward and it flexes back out, effectively forcing the ball away from the upper right flipper.
This makes it impossible to do multiple orbit shots.
I saw someone mention above that Cliffy may have a replacement flap. Might it be a bit stiffer to allow a smoother ball trajectory?
Or is there some other fix for this problem?

#498 5 years ago

Thanks for the links.
Not a fan of either of those solutions though.
Hopefully the Beetles retrofit will somehow work out for us.

#511 5 years ago

Just received my new power distribution board for Seawitch today.
The last game I changed one of these on was a Bally KISS and it came with very good instructions for the wire colors and where they were to go.
This time the board came with no instructions.
Has someone here already done this fun task and have any tips for how to make it easier.
I have searched for an online link for Classic Stern power board instructions but have come up empty.
Even just a photo of the back side of someones replacement board would help.

#514 5 years ago

Wow.
Thanks guys.
Both excellent advice.

#516 5 years ago

Removed power supply and am labeling my wires with tape.
Already an issue on the first wire
E1 in the photo lists as Red large gauge and E3 lists as red small gauge.
Problem is both of my red wires are large gauge but one has yellow stripes.
If I had to guess, I would guess solid red would go to E1 and red/yellow would go to E3. But can’t be to cautious so posting here first.
Edit solved.
Just looked in my old board and the above is correct.

#517 5 years ago

Good thing I cut my wires so I could see the old locations because tons of wire colors and sizes do not match the photo in the link.
Here are my wire colors and locations to help someone else down the line here.
E1 Red
E2 Yellow
E3 Red/yellow
E4 White/Red
E5 Green
E6 Orange/White
E7 Blue
E8 Black
E9 Orange
E10 Green/Black
E11 White
E12 White/Blue

#520 5 years ago

The power distribution board swap out was a success. But despite having a replacement MPU, light board and power distribution board the game will still randomly decide to reset itself no matter if you are playing a game or just sitting in attract mode.
WTH?
No rhyme or reason to when it will decide to reset.

#523 5 years ago

I have not repinned the connectors on the power distribution board yet.
That is next in my list.
About 3 of the molex holes are pretty dark.

And here is a nice before and after photo of the power board swap out today.
I took the board out and sanded it down so it looks like new now.

F6E55A73-6FAF-404B-B77C-613A29DFF727 (resized).jpegF6E55A73-6FAF-404B-B77C-613A29DFF727 (resized).jpegB41B5074-9135-40D5-B68B-BAE280D87C95 (resized).jpegB41B5074-9135-40D5-B68B-BAE280D87C95 (resized).jpeg
#525 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Once you repin, your reset problems should go away. IIRC, it is one of the wires on the J-3 connector. J-1 is upper left. J-2 is upper right.

Thanks.
I got the new connectors in with the board and totally forgot about them. Lol
I just tossed them off to the side and forgot I even had them.

#527 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Is a heat sink not needed on the middle bridge rectifier I guess? The weebly.nvram ones do but I guess thats all I've seen for repros.

Yes
There was no way to put the heat sink on this new power board.l

#531 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

If your interested in a Seawitch glass let me know. Next week I start Marco Specialties PO, & it will be 3-4 weeks for more tempered glass blanks to arrive for printing. I will be going to TPF this year.

I am interested in a glass.
I will be at TPF as well

#533 5 years ago

I will be donating the Seawitch & Star Gazer glass to the show. If your interested, let Ed know what you will offer to the draw winner. Cash is king!

Gotcha.

#536 5 years ago

I will be donating the Seawitch & Star Gazer glass to the show. If your interested, let Ed know what you will offer to the draw winner. Cash is king!

Ed is a friend of mine.
This is not how he operates.
Sounded a little shady but you never know.
I am still interested in a glass if you have some at the show.

#539 5 years ago

It is not shady! Some people win stuff, & would like to have cash instead. Example: They do not have that pin title. They do not want the hassle of bringing a glass home. Years ago this happened, the winner was happy to receive cash, & the buyer got a good discount. Many of the glass I donate to shows gets sold on Ebay, privately, or on pinside. If you are interested on either glass, & you have a offer in hand it will go to the winner. They decide what they want to do.
Glass is available from me, or my distributors no matter what.

Thanks for clarifying.
I have no problem buying from the drawing winner. Lol

#546 5 years ago

Getting ready to re-pin the three connectors on the power board.
Big Daddy sent me two different bags of pins with the molex connectors.
What is the difference? And which ones should I use?
There is a BT and an AT bag.

9FF5F486-45FD-4B94-B778-0413E6AC8959 (resized).jpeg9FF5F486-45FD-4B94-B778-0413E6AC8959 (resized).jpeg
#549 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It's going to work. I got my metal ball guide built this afternoon. I have some fine tuning and clean up to do, but the guide will let you bang the upper right flipper for a clockwise orbit shot.
It is going to work !!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Awesome news. Can’t wait to see the finished product in action.
Will this be doable by everyone if correct ball guide is provided by someone?

#550 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Are they for different gauge wire?

The BT May have a slightly larger gap in the back but hard to tell.
I can’t find a difference in AT & BT by searching.

#558 5 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I would be in for that. My playfield is just average at best, extra holes are no big deal to me.

Same here.
I added spinners to my brand new Metallica Pro. That was a bit scary to drill.
I would have no problem with two tiny shooter lane holes in my crappy Seawitch Playfield to vastly improve gameplay.

#598 5 years ago

Got all my connectors repinned yesterday.
Went fairly quickly

19DEA876-16C0-4E57-A083-60B9A96CB6D6 (resized).jpeg19DEA876-16C0-4E57-A083-60B9A96CB6D6 (resized).jpeg37C30BAA-B229-4F8C-8EA6-13679F92DDC5 (resized).jpeg37C30BAA-B229-4F8C-8EA6-13679F92DDC5 (resized).jpegBC2B69D1-1C92-4B8E-A59E-4D1681C75683 (resized).jpegBC2B69D1-1C92-4B8E-A59E-4D1681C75683 (resized).jpegE4092C15-3BFF-4D0E-8082-247ED9CDF3F6 (resized).jpegE4092C15-3BFF-4D0E-8082-247ED9CDF3F6 (resized).jpeg65F21DC6-BB40-453E-841D-D9F0D8D90E6D (resized).jpeg65F21DC6-BB40-453E-841D-D9F0D8D90E6D (resized).jpegD8623CD7-2326-48FE-A627-F047C9C06144 (resized).jpegD8623CD7-2326-48FE-A627-F047C9C06144 (resized).jpeg
#606 5 years ago

What are these two middle post supposed to look like?
I can’t get a nut to fit on either one of mine so they just flop about loose under the plastic right now.
I assume my setup is not factory.
So any part numbers I may need for new post screws if needed are appreciated.

40B55975-103F-4A1A-A11C-728C4310B7C7 (resized).jpeg40B55975-103F-4A1A-A11C-728C4310B7C7 (resized).jpeg
#608 5 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

My two middle ones were Phillips wood screws. The same ones that are used throughout the Playfield on other star posts.

Thanks. Got it fixed.
The two posts are nice and tight now.
Someone had just put hand cut machine screw shafts in the holes in my game.
I fully expected to remove T-nuts under the playfield but they were just screwed into the holes from the top. Very weird.
Anyway all good and stock now.
EE151B10-AA68-43FF-A87C-8640B5968302 (resized).jpegEE151B10-AA68-43FF-A87C-8640B5968302 (resized).jpeg

#609 5 years ago

Next question.
My Flipper button leaf switches are shot.
What is a good plug and play part number on these?

29434811-31A5-45B7-A02B-EEF9068CB5BD (resized).jpeg29434811-31A5-45B7-A02B-EEF9068CB5BD (resized).jpeg
#613 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Just so you know, those blue posts you have are not Stern style posts. You have finned posts. Stern used facetted posts. The part number you need if you decide to go that route is: C11562CB transparent dark blue.
http://www.pbresource.com/posts.html

Did not even notice. When I ordered them I just requested Blue posts for Seawitch and that is what was sent to me. lol
Oh well, they work and look great.

#614 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Oh, yeah, you can tell Steve at Pinball resource you want flipper switches for your Seawitch.
http://www.pbresource.com/buttswit.html
Actually, you want GTB-B17838+ High Current Switch.

Thanks for the part #

#617 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't know how far you want to go with repair and replacement, but you can make your own switches for lots of dollar savings. I have not gone as far as Frunch, yet, but I did order a selection of contacts. When the time comes I'll just replace the contacts for about 10 cents each.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-re-building-leaf-switches

Interesting read. $9.00 a switch is pretty expensive for simple switches.
So I can see where making your own if skilled enough could be cheaper.

#621 5 years ago
Quoted from Slim2013:

The Seawitch S Plastic is key above the left drop targets. I have made many and different colors. Blue is nice. Clear is shown.

[quoted image]

Where does one get one of these?
Still available?

#629 5 years ago

Anyone have a paint code mix number or general paint color name for the blue frame around the backglass?

#633 5 years ago

Finally stopped my ball jams over the left Flipper using a part on hand.
I had an old comet populated playfield that I use for parts and it just happend to have this nice metal part that was used to prevent ball jams under the plastic ramp. Works nicely to guide any errant fly balls right back down to the Seawitch playfield.

1A1B9E52-1F40-4F3E-BECC-B7F0C7E54828 (resized).jpeg1A1B9E52-1F40-4F3E-BECC-B7F0C7E54828 (resized).jpeg755F8C23-F181-42ED-AADA-1D54073C77A5 (resized).jpeg755F8C23-F181-42ED-AADA-1D54073C77A5 (resized).jpegDD41315C-2729-409C-94F3-0D25F054369F (resized).jpegDD41315C-2729-409C-94F3-0D25F054369F (resized).jpeg
#634 5 years ago

In case this helps anyone else I went to Lowe’s to find the best match paint I could for whatever color my head around the backglass had faded to. For me it is the color on the top of the photo on Sherwin Williams card #233A “Oceanside Blue”
I know the true color will never show in a photo but here is the card anyway.

00A7405B-BAAB-435F-B76F-F62285D9DAEB (resized).jpeg00A7405B-BAAB-435F-B76F-F62285D9DAEB (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#639 5 years ago

Cool find on the Ali cabinet.
I did just repaint the inside of mine.
Looks so much better now.
Now I need to see about toning down my Flipper power a bit.
Both of my lower flippers are way to strong and I know something will break if I leave them alone.
What coil should be on the lower flippers?
Maybe someone used what they had.
If they turn out to be correct is there a way to soften them with the end of stroke switch maybe?

622EC115-136F-417A-93EC-15FE340433EE (resized).jpeg622EC115-136F-417A-93EC-15FE340433EE (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#645 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I finally finished my Beatles ramp for the shooter lane. As mentioned sometime back, this set up does not help with getting any more loop shots. So the time and money spent for that reason was a bust. However, as a preference for using the flap gate or going with this shooter set up, I do not miss the flap gate. It is not 100% perfect. Every once in a while I get a crappy shot but 9 times out of 10 I get nice smooth shots from the shooter lane.
I had to make 2 deflectors to keep the ball from jumping up and going over the arch plastic. Deflector #1 is an aluminum strip that travels from the rail and arcs around on top of the arch plastic. Deflector #2 ( does not show up in the pics) is a piece of plastic that is located on top of the drop target plastic. This plastic deflector is the first contact the ball has as it leaves the shooter ramp. The ball brushes it lightly on launch and does not crash into the play field glass. I am very satisfied the way it has turned out.
[quoted image]
I also modified my strip of aluminum that replaced the flap gate. My prototype extended from the loop and went all the way down to just above the upper right flipper. This eliminated the two post and the rubber that located above the flipper. I have shortened the strip and replaced to two posts and rubber ring.
To do this I had to:
1) Make an undercut in the rail for proper location of the ramp. You can see the white wood in the rail where I did some grinding.
2) I had to drill two holes to locate the ramp.
3) I had to drill one hole to attach the flap gate replacement strip. The upper part of this strip is just pinched between the rail and the loop ball guide.
4) I drilled one new hole to relocate the outside edge of the spinner. With the factory install of the flap gate, the spinner sort of sat at an angle inside the loop lane. With the flap gate removed I was able to move the outside spinner post farther up the play field. The spinner performance is still the same and it is still a bitch to target but I think it looks better.
[quoted image]
I also used some of this nice hand-formable aluminum strip to make a new deflector for lower left hand drop targets.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
My plan is to bring Seawich to TPF. If you are going, then check out my shooter setup. It is not going to knock you out but I think you will appreciate it.

I played a couple of games on this game at TPF.
Nicely done sir.
Game played very well.
What I did like the most is the use of a regular skinny flipper bat for the upper right. Gives a much better shot at a spinner rip.
By playing your game I also now know that my flipper strength is way to hard for this game. Yours did not seem like it will snap any drops but played well.
I also picked up a reproduction backglass from GreatJohn at the show.
Does anyone know the size of metal lift trim I need for it and the best place to order if available?

#647 5 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I think I got mine from #gatecrasher.

Thanks. Was worried they were for only Bally williams but then I read where he will do custom lengths if needed.
Looks like the new glass is 1/8" but I will double check when I get home.
Thanks for the reply.

#652 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Lower flippers J-25-475/34-4500

Finally had time to see what flipper coils someone had put on my game. Both of them as I suspected were incorrect.
New ones on order already from Pinball Life.
My left coil is a J-25-500/34-5050
Right coil is a A-24-570/34-3600

#653 5 years ago

Got both new flipper coils in the mail today.
Installed left one perfectly. Works great.

But of course the pinball gods must throw a monkey wrench in to make things fun.
When I took photos of the right coil wiring so I could carefully label them, I failed to notice that the previous owner had put the coil in the bracket upside down so that the lugs were at the coil stop end. Arrrrgh.

So naturally when I put the new coil in place I put it in correctly without thinking. This flips lugs 1 and 3 to the opposite sides.
I fired the game up, tested left flipper, perfect.
Tested right flipper and immediately blew the F4 fuse on the power distribution board. Again Arrrrrgh.
Ran out of time to flip the coil over and re-wire so I will have to do that tomorrow.
Any chance I blew the diodes on the new coil as well, or should I be good to go just turning it around?

#655 5 years ago

Luckily nothing bad happened but the fuse blowing.
Got the wires swapped out on lugs 1 and 3 and we are good to go.

#656 5 years ago

And back to bad on my right Flipper.
It worked great for one game then suddenly started getting weaker and weaker until it won’t flip it or the upper right Flipper anymore.
What the hell?
If I tap the right Flipper button very fast it will try to flip but if I press it normal or hold it in, nothing.
I should have just left well enough alone.
Now I have gone from working game to not working game.
I have cleaned all contacts on button and end of strike, made sure they are still adjusted correctly but nothing helps.

3 weeks later
#658 4 years ago

Turns out my problem with the right Flipper was that the Flipper button leaf switch was toast. New switch installed and we are flipping good again.

I was curious while looking at my drop target coils. Are they supposed to have a return spring like the flippers or do they just use gravity to pull the bar back down?

F22426AE-563E-4C4F-BBC7-EEDF4E562500 (resized).jpegF22426AE-563E-4C4F-BBC7-EEDF4E562500 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#668 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

The only issue I'm having with the drops is they will cause airballs that go part the upper flipper and wedge between the glass and plastic in that area. The only way to get it out is to remove the glass which causes the ball to roll down the plastic, in my case cracking it. This was done a long time before I got the machine. Mine has the repro drops in it now that have the flat lip that does not extend any further side to side. I'm hoping replacing it with the newer repros with the side extensions (to reduce stucky balls) will somehow help the issue. I've made the drop height perfectly level with the playfield top so I might be working towards a lost cause but I figured I'd try it.
I found my decals from Doc and was disappointed they're only the "s" with no background white. It's easy to line up a square, I have to figure out how to put these on without it looking like a 3rd grade art project.

Funny. I have always called them lightning bolt targets. Had no idea those were supposed to be S’s

#671 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I think you're probably right and I'm wrong
^^^ first time this has ever been said on pinside
cottonm4 I know that was an option too but I really wanted something less visually obstructive. Using old sockets for the brackets is brilliant, I would have cut and bent sheet metal. I could have gotten a little more elegant with my rail but I used the thickest wire that came with the kit and it was a pain to work with. Probably overkill and I could have made something nicer with a thinner gauge. The clearance between ball and plastic is also so small I probably could have just made it about a 1/4" rise. In any case, I had folks over Saturday night and so far so good with 0 balls jammed over the plastic.

Lol.
They are calling them S stand ups on the sale sights so I will roll with it.

2 weeks later
#695 4 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Ugh, pull those LED's out & get incandescent bulbs in there

While I agree the photo is a bit to blue use what you like.
I use Comet white sunlight and the game looks great with none of the heat on my backglass and plastics.

#697 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What I have noticed about LEDs is that they are not photogenic. A couple of my pins look great with LEDs but if I posted pics here everybody would have fit.

This is most certainly true.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 69.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-seawitch-fans-on-pinside?tu=Arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.