seaw-ballguide (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6367673_0 (resized).jpg
2790E18D-3112-4CFC-AB67-6ED1C2DAC8BB (resized).jpeg
CB8A75C8-BFA1-45B2-872F-FFB0BA4B13A9 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230415_143240111 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205100473 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230415_205634213 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,526 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 31.
#851 4 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Has anyone here upgraded their speaker? The sounds on Seawitch are pretty basic, so I’m not sure if the speaker is with improving or not. These older games always sound kinda mushy/muffled to my ear. I don’t know if that’s due to a crappy speaker, primitive audio boards/sounds or....?

You'll get very limited improvement with an updated speaker in a classic Bally/Stern. The frequency response of the generated tones is not meant for full range and as such, I've heard "better" speakers actually sound much worse as they're reproducing frequencies never intended to be heard. If you have a blown or badly deteriorated speaker, the cheapest replacement drivers you can find are almost always perfectly suitable.

#852 4 years ago

Has anyone here upgraded their speaker? The sounds on Seawitch are pretty basic, so I’m not sure if the speaker is with improving or not. These older games always sound kinda mushy/muffled to my ear. I don’t know if that’s due to a crappy speaker, primitive audio boards/sounds or....?

Both

#853 4 years ago
Quoted from jay:

You'll get very limited improvement with an updated speaker in a classic Bally/Stern. The frequency response of the generated tones is not meant for full range and as such, I've heard "better" speakers actually sound much worse as they're reproducing frequencies never intended to be heard. If you have a blown or badly deteriorated speaker, the cheapest replacement drivers you can find are almost always perfectly suitable.

Thanks. I appreciate you confirming my suspicion. My speaker is in good condition. I’ll plan on leaving it as is.

#854 4 years ago

Thanks. I appreciate you confirming my suspicion. My speaker is in good condition. I’ll plan on leaving it as is.

No problem! One thing to note (and I'm not sure why this is, asking people much smarter then I am resulted in puzzled responses) some Stern SB-300 sound boards will have a very rolled off high end. The schematics for boards are identical but I've had 4 Meteors and 3 of them had a sound board that had no highs at all. I figured out the board was rolling off at around 1.5kHz. I've poured over schematics looking for some variation in the audio output but I can find nothing there. I've visually compared boards and parts (looking over the amplifier section in particular) for an obv addition of low pass filtering or anything else that might stand out and come up with nothing. This problem will follow the sound board around between other Stern games so it's not a Meteor problem or MPU problem. I've only had boards in Meteor come to me this way. It's possible that if you're really experiencing muffled sounds, you have an sb-300 board that's causing that. Unfortunately, I can offer no solution as I've never been able to find anything to fix.

#855 4 years ago

Here is a partial pic of my Seawitch apron and the apron decal I got from Pinball Rescue.

Let me say first off that the decal I got form Lee for my Star Gazer was dead on the money for color. The yellow is yellow. It looks nice.

The one you see here looks nice. It is very good quality. But the blue color is just not there. I don't know where they come up with this shade of blue. It does not match the blue on my Nine Ball, either.

IMG_3381 (resized).JPGIMG_3381 (resized).JPG

#856 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Here is a partial pic of my Seawitch apron and the apron decal I got from Pinball Rescue.
Let me say first off that the decal I got form Lee for my Star Gazer was dead on the money for color. The yellow is yellow. It looks nice.
The one you see here looks nice. It is very good quality. But the blue color is just not there. I don't know where they come up with this shade of blue. It does not match the blue on my Nine Ball, either.
[quoted image]

That decal doesn’t match Lightning either.

#857 4 years ago
Quoted from jay:

No problem! One thing to note (and I'm not sure why this is, asking people much smarter then I am resulted in puzzled responses) some Stern SB-300 sound boards will have a very rolled off high end. The schematics for boards are identical but I've had 4 Meteors and 3 of them had a sound board that had no highs at all. I figured out the board was rolling off at around 1.5kHz. I've poured over schematics looking for some variation in the audio output but I can find nothing there. I've visually compared boards and parts (looking over the amplifier section in particular) for an obv addition of low pass filtering or anything else that might stand out and come up with nothing. This problem will follow the sound board around between other Stern games so it's not a Meteor problem or MPU problem. I've only had boards in Meteor come to me this way. It's possible that if you're really experiencing muffled sounds, you have an sb-300 board that's causing that. Unfortunately, I can offer no solution as I've never been able to find anything to fix.

Thanks for the additional details. I didn’t mean to give the impression that the sound in my witch is defective. It sounds exactly like every other early Stern I’ve ever heard: serviceable but not stellar. I was just wondering if a mere speaker upgrade would make it noticeably better. From what I’m hearing, better speakers might actually be counterproductive on an early Stern.

#858 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

That decal doesn’t match Lightning either.

It does not match anything and someone advised me this afternoon that some of the text is missing.

It should say, : "Stern Electronics, Inc. "

Instead, it just says "Stern Electronic. I'm bummed out about it.

I have been looking at this decal on and off for 3 years and did not notice this. The one on my Star Gazer is the same way.

And I also discovered this afternoon that Catacomb and Dragonfist have a different font where it says " For Amusement Only" .

IMG_3379 (resized).JPGIMG_3379 (resized).JPG
#859 4 years ago

I printed a glass knowing the tempered glass had a problem. So I told the printer to put it at the bottom. Ink is perfect except for the tiny imperfection where the lift channel will be. Usually the glass sells for $275 US + $50 US shipping to USA. I will discount it to $200 US + $50 US shipping to USA only!
IMG_0028 (resized).JPGIMG_0028 (resized).JPGIMG_0029 (resized).JPGIMG_0029 (resized).JPGIMG_0030 (resized).JPGIMG_0030 (resized).JPGIMG_0031 (resized).JPGIMG_0031 (resized).JPG
Pending sale to previous playfield buyer.

Added over 4 years ago:

SOLD TO PREVIOUS CUSTOMER. THANKS!

3 weeks later
#860 3 years ago

Glass sells for $275 US + $50 US shipping to USA. I will discount it to $200 US + $50 US shipping to USA only! This one has tiny pin size holes in the surface of the tempered glass. I spotted a few in the green Seawitch & there are a few others on the front of the glass. Tempered glass manufacturing seems to be about 95% good. You have to look very closely. So in the game & players distance will be hard to see. Inkwork is perfect!
Seawitch playfields are finally in full production mode along with more Star Gazer ones. I am ordering 2500 each of the following: trans blue flat 1" & 3/4" & 3/4" green. I do not think I will run 250 playfields but who knows. I am aiming for 100+ Seawitch & maybe 20 Star Gazer this year.

IMG_0063 (resized).JPGIMG_0063 (resized).JPGIMG_0064 (resized).JPGIMG_0064 (resized).JPGIMG_0065 (resized).JPGIMG_0065 (resized).JPG

#861 3 years ago

What are you asking for the Seawitch playfields now, greatwichjohn ? I think I asked to get on a list years ago but not sure where that stands with all the delays. What's the ETA for receiving one?

I have one of his backglasses and it is immaculate. Would recommend.

#862 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

What are you asking for the Seawitch playfields now, greatwichjohn ? I think I asked to get on a list years ago but not sure where that stands with all the delays. What's the ETA for receiving one?
I have one of his backglasses and it is immaculate. Would recommend.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-prepay-500-us-for-a-new-stern-seawitch-or-star-gazer-playfield/page/40#post-5644988

#863 3 years ago

That thread is a dumpster fire.

#864 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

That thread is a dumpster fire.

Ok

Sorry

Considering your post I guessed you were anaware of it. Carry on then.

#865 3 years ago

I still plan on honoring $500 US + $50 US shipping to USA. To anyone who has shown past interest before 2020 for either Star Gazer or Seawitch playfields. For those interested this year it is $600 US, & 2021 it will be $700 US.

#866 3 years ago

I am only getting 6 flashes when I power on my seawitch. If I go into diagnostics the solenoids fire as it goes through the test but one thing I've noticed is there is all 2's on the display - is this a faulty 6810?

#867 3 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

I am only getting 6 flashes when I power on my seawitch. If I go into diagnostics the solenoids fire as it goes through the test

How are you getting to solenoid diagnostic mode if you are only getting 6 LED flashes on power-up? The MPU board will stall if it doesn't successfully flash 7 times.

Quoted from Marv:

one thing I've noticed is there is all 2's on the display - is this a faulty 6810?

All displays showing '2' on every digit is likely to be a bad connection of the J1 connector pin 26. The 6810 is not the problem.

#868 3 years ago

Sorry didn't really explain myself properly:

I can enter diagnostics pressing the button on the mpu, then pressing the button the coin door

Its not all 2's just like some random score on the displays and 22 on the credit display.

#869 3 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

I can enter diagnostics pressing the button on the mpu, then pressing the button the coin door

Sounds like you have an Alltek MPU board.

Failure to get the 7th LED flash means that the MPU board is not getting it's 43 volt input. It comes in at pin 15 of MPU board connector J4.

Get your multimeter out and measure it:
Factory Stern MPU board you should measure 21 volts at test point TP1
Alltek MPU board revision L you should measure 43 volts at test point TP2
Alltek MPU board revision J and K you should measure 43 volts at test point TP7
any other revision Alltek, you need to look in their manual for it.

Quoted from Marv:

Its not all 2's just like some random score on the displays and 22 on the credit display.

Sorry, if you get a '2' where there should be a '0', a '3' where there should be a '1', a '6' where there should be a '4' etc, then it's the same issue at pin 26 of connector J1.

Anyway it sounds like you may have a few MPU board connector issues that need to be dealt with.

#870 3 years ago

Its a stock MPU 200.

Instead of being 0's its random numbers, i seem to remember reading that if you ran it without a battery for a bit it corrupts the ROM - which i find very hard to believe.

I'll check the voltages in a bit.

Cheers

#871 3 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

Its a stock MPU 200.
Instead of being 0's its random numbers, i seem to remember reading that if you ran it without a battery for a bit it corrupts the ROM - which i find very hard to believe.
I'll check the voltages in a bit.
Cheers

Check the voltage output of your battery. I’ve had a similar problem in the past from a flaky battery.

#872 3 years ago

No batteries in yet.

#873 3 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

No batteries in yet.

That could be your problem.

#874 3 years ago

Does it do silly things like this with no batteries?

#875 3 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

Does it do silly things like this with no batteries?

Yes

#876 3 years ago

Every day's a school day

#877 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Sounds like you have an Alltek MPU board.
Failure to get the 7th LED flash means that the MPU board is not getting it's 43 volt input. It comes in at pin 15 of MPU board connector J4.
Get your multimeter out and measure it:
Factory Stern MPU board you should measure 21 volts at test point TP1
Alltek MPU board revision L you should measure 43 volts at test point TP2
Alltek MPU board revision J and K you should measure 43 volts at test point TP7
any other revision Alltek, you need to look in their manual for it.

Sorry, if you get a '2' where there should be a '0', a '3' where there should be a '1', a '6' where there should be a '4' etc, then it's the same issue at pin 26 of connector J1.
Anyway it sounds like you may have a few MPU board connector issues that need to be dealt with.

Just tried now and it booted into a game, turned off and it wouldn't do the 7th flash.

Voltages:

TP3 = 21/22v
TP2 = 14v
TP5 = 5.1v

Pin 15 of J4 = 45v

So all within range, i think i will repin that J4 and see if that makes any difference.

#878 3 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

Voltages:

TP3 = 21/22v
TP2 = 14v
TP5 = 5.1v

Pin 15 of J4 = 45v

So all within range, i think i will repin that J4 and see if that makes any difference.

Voltages look good. So if these are what you read even when the game fails to give the 7th LED flash then you could be looking at an issue with the zero crossing detector chip (U14) on the MPU board or a bad connection at the U10 socket on pin 18 (this is where the zero crossing detector signal ends up). A logic probe will help you in this case.

#879 3 years ago

Thanks. What will the logic probe show in a working system?

#880 3 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

Thanks. What will the logic probe show in a working system?

You're looking for the logic probe to indicate activity on the signals, i.e. both high and low logic probe indicators should be on and if the pulse indicator flashes, that's extra confirmation.

If you get either the low or high indicator on *only* or no indicators at all, then the point you're probing has no activity.

The destination of the zero crossing signal reaches U10 pin 18 and should show all three indicators doing something. Probe that point first and follow the signal backwards via the schematic if you know how to read it.

#881 3 years ago

Does anyone have a line on playfield hangers that’ll fit Seawitch? Mine are bent enough that they screw up the alignment of the playfield in the cabinet. (Plus corroded and generally funky.) I could work with what I’ve got but figured it would be better to get new ones if I could find them.

#882 3 years ago

Does anyone have a line on playfield hangers that’ll fit Seawitch? Mine are bent enough that they screw up the alignment of the playfield in the cabinet. (Plus corroded and generally funky.) I could work with what I’ve got but figured it would be better to get new ones if I could find them.

Mantis Amusements makes them

#883 3 years ago

I reached out to Mantis last month. Kerry said they don’t have playfield hangers for Seawitch.

#884 3 years ago

I reached out to Mantis last month. Kerry said they don’t have playfield hangers for Seawitch.

Follow this link and measure your hangers against his specs. He used to advertise that he had hangers for classic sterns

https://mantispinball.com/product-category/stern/
https://mantispinball.com/product-category/misc/

#885 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Follow this link and measure your hangers against his specs. He used to advertise that he had hangers for classic sterns
https://mantispinball.com/product-category/stern/
https://mantispinball.com/product-category/misc/

Thanks, I looked at those awhile back. The long one is 3” on the hook side. The short one is 2.25” on the hook side. The brackets on my playfield measure roughly 2.5” on the hook side. Do I have a standard hook? Am I measuring correctly?

DFE3AD7E-531D-4E9B-9AD2-33F1CC47C849 (resized).jpegDFE3AD7E-531D-4E9B-9AD2-33F1CC47C849 (resized).jpeg
#886 3 years ago

there are definitely different ones... i bought the ones from Mantis to use on another Stern Electronics machine and it did not fit. His were way longer under the PF conflicting with other assemblies unfortunately. I just kept the original and tumbled them for 3 days

#887 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

there are definitely different ones... i bought the ones from Mantis to use on another Stern Electronics machine and it did not fit. His were way longer under the PF conflicting with other assemblies unfortunately. I just kept the original and tumbled them for 3 days

Yes, I did notice that the leg that attaches to the underside of the playfield was longer as well. I figured this could be shortened relatively easily. It’s the vertical leg that has me concerned.

#888 3 years ago

Yes, I did notice that the leg that attaches to the underside of the playfield was longer as well. I figured this could be shortened relatively easily. It’s the vertical leg that has me concerned.

Measuring my Seawitch supports the same as you have measured yours, from the bottom of the top to the bottom of the bottom measures 2.50"

The lower legs on mine are the shorter version.

#889 3 years ago

Finished up my playfield swap. Its so fast now love this game!
20200527_162609 (resized).jpg20200527_162609 (resized).jpg20200527_162646_HDR (resized).jpg20200527_162646_HDR (resized).jpg
-Jim

#890 3 years ago

Looks awesome Jim.

#891 3 years ago

Gorgeous! Is that greatwich's clear? I'm trying to decide between his or sending it to $$$kruzman

#892 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Gorgeous! Is that greatwich's clear? I'm trying to decide between his or sending it to $$$kruzman

I cannot afford a kruzman clearcoat... this is as it came. Its good for me but for some it will not be good enough. To me its still pinball... I don't need (or more honest cant afford) crazy nice.

-Jim

#893 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Looks awesome Jim.

Thanks!

#894 3 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

I cannot afford a kruzman clearcoat... this is as it came. Its good for me but for some it will not be good enough. To me its still pinball... I don't need (or more honest cant afford) crazy nice.
-Jim

Just curious, what's the approx cost on something like that?

#895 3 years ago

look him up here on pinside and ask. he'll give you a quote i'm sure. I don't quote other peoples work... AND. I am in no way knocking his work. It's top notch for sure, I have seen a few and they are second to none.

-Jim

#896 3 years ago

His work is fucking amazing.

#897 3 years ago

Hey y'all, just picked up a decent seawitch last weekend and have an issue that maybe one of you has come across.
It's somewhat intermittent, but when the left drop bank is completed it will continuously score the bank value, activate the loop lights/sounds for the rest of the ball and doesn't reset the bank. The bank functions in test and at game start and the switches are gapped well. I've tried manually lifting the drops during the endless scoring/lights/sounds to see if that would stop it but it did not.
This game has no signs of corrosion and other than a blown q19, looks great.
Any thoughts?

#898 3 years ago
Quoted from Jahkub:

Hey y'all, just picked up a decent seawitch last weekend and have an issue that maybe one of you has come across.
It's somewhat intermittent, but when the left drop bank is completed it will continuously score the bank value, activate the loop lights/sounds for the rest of the ball and doesn't reset the bank. The bank functions in test and at game start and the switches are gapped well. I've tried manually lifting the drops during the endless scoring/lights/sounds to see if that would stop it but it did not.
This game has no signs of corrosion and other than a blown q19, looks great.
Any thoughts?

You have something wrong with one of your switches. Yes, it will work at game start as something different is triggering the coil at start up.

Do this:

1) lift the play field.

2) Run a business card or a piece of file folder paper through the switches to make sure they are clean.

3) with the play field still lifted, start up a game. Manually press and drop each drop target. Each target makes a sound when it drops and closes the switch. When you get a switch that makes no noise, check it out closely. That is probably where you will find your problem.

#899 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You have something wrong with one of your switches. Yes, it will work at game start as something different is triggering the coil at start up.
Do this:
1) lift the play field.
2) Run a business card or a piece of file folder paper through the switches to make sure they are clean.
3) with the play field still lifted, start up a game. Manually press and drop each drop target. Each target makes a sound when it drops and closes the switch. When you get a switch that makes no noise, check it out closely. That is probably where you will find your problem.

Each switch seems to be working in test but I'll give it a shot anyway. I figure whatever the issue is it'll be fixed by the time I redo the connections and clean it up but I thought I'd see if it was a common thing.

1 week later
#900 3 years ago

In anticipation of a (hopefully) soon playfield swap, I’ve been getting things ready. All mechs are on plugs and getting cleaned, polished and rebuilt. But what to do about my wrecked pop bumper caps? The machine came with repro caps but those lack the starburst pattern around the edge. Time to scan an original, make a stencil and spray some paint. Alright, I didn’t make a hot stamp, but the visual effect is much better than nothing! First carefully apply the stencil, then a light coat of white, then yellow with a hint of red and voila!

9E628BD0-1B8F-4507-8FD2-584BF5AA0F67 (resized).jpeg9E628BD0-1B8F-4507-8FD2-584BF5AA0F67 (resized).jpeg5CEB6D28-CC28-43AB-A25C-7DA4D3F1455B (resized).jpeg5CEB6D28-CC28-43AB-A25C-7DA4D3F1455B (resized).jpeg1105058A-8773-4ECA-B5E0-F960853ADE11 (resized).jpeg1105058A-8773-4ECA-B5E0-F960853ADE11 (resized).jpegC067702C-4713-435F-8388-D277438D9E68 (resized).jpegC067702C-4713-435F-8388-D277438D9E68 (resized).jpeg9E4D2C72-8A73-4129-B14C-9E657CFA7127 (resized).jpeg9E4D2C72-8A73-4129-B14C-9E657CFA7127 (resized).jpeg652DF8E6-6A3E-4EA9-ADEA-6BF4410380B2 (resized).jpeg652DF8E6-6A3E-4EA9-ADEA-6BF4410380B2 (resized).jpeg6C722C21-86E8-42CC-A63A-5FA912AD6F60 (resized).jpeg6C722C21-86E8-42CC-A63A-5FA912AD6F60 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 10.00
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

There are 1,526 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-seawitch-fans-on-pinside/page/18?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.