Topic Stats

• 772 posts
  • 111 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 278 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SCR_MCR106.jpg
2N5060a.jpg
MC14514B (resized).PNG
SeaWitch Diagram Chip Pins (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 7.34.42 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 7.34.21 PM (resized).png
IMG_1904 (resized).JPG
5J5A0966 (resized).JPG
5J5A0965 (resized).JPG
5J5A0964 (resized).JPG
5J5A0961 (resized).JPG
5J5A0963 (resized).JPG
5J5A0960 (resized).JPG
20190829_222900.jpg
20190829_222916.jpg
20190829_195542.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 772 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 16.
#751 9 days ago
Quoted from WonderMellon:

So instead of a matrix, each lamp is controlled by it's own connection wire and circuit?

You got it.

It looks like I have 10 lights out. (I metered the sockets and no power goes to them during lamp test)
J3-1
J1-1
J1-8
J3-19
J1-28
J2-4
j3-16
J3-23
J2-8

If you are lucky, the little "windows" that lock the pin into the connector will be facing toward you and you can test for power at the circuit board. If you are not lucky, you might be able to pull the connector away from the board just a little to where might be able to test at the base of the connector. You can also just check for continuity in this manner.

The last one is Advance Loop Value 1 from the bottom drop target, but I can not match that up to a description on the list.

Sometimes you have to open up the machine and see what color of wire is on the item you cannot I.D. And then wire color you just ID'ed and take that back to the print and see which pin has to color of wire you need.

And then you have to hope all of your wire colors are correct to print. My Big Game has four wires that do not match the blueprint.

E.G.

I have a callout for a purple/white wire on the print. But what is actually there is Gray/black. I cannot remember the other 3. My Catacomb has a yellow wire called out on one solenoid but what is actually there is orange/red. One more Catacomb is like that that I know of.

The thought is that Stern ran out of the correct color of wire and grabbed something just to keep the line running.

You will figure it out eventually.

#752 8 days ago

Doesn't look like I have the transistors or thermistors handy. Just placed an order for some replacements. I'll post back when I can change these out.

I also ordered some molex connectors to get rid of the wire nuts.

#753 8 days ago

Personally, on the old Bally's & Stern pin, I ALWAYS repin the entire machine as standard procedure.
Saves a lot of troubleshooting time.

#754 4 days ago

Will be joining the club very soon!
I only have so much self-control till I cave...

#755 4 days ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Will be joining the club very soon!

Congrats!!!!

#756 3 days ago

Working on doing some diag on the lamp board while I wait for the new transistors to show up. Schematics tell me that a lamp that is not working leads back to Q37. Q37 is testing good (while on the board which I know is not 100% accurate). Assuming Q37 is good, I am looking up stream. It looks like it leads to resistor R37 and that resistor leads to U3. I have a problem there. The schematic shows the connection going to pin 5/6. I am not sure how to read this. Should I be testing pin 5, pin 6, pin 5 and and 6? How do I read this?

SeaWitch Diagram Chip Pins (resized).jpg
#757 3 days ago

I believe it's saying 6, just follow the traces.

Have you verified the socket and wiring end to end already?

#758 3 days ago

Working on doing some diag on the lamp board while I wait for the new transistors to show up. Schematics tell me that a lamp that is not working leads back to Q37. Q37 is testing good (while on the board which I know is not 100% accurate). Assuming Q37 is good, I am looking up stream. It looks like it leads to resistor R37 and that resistor leads to U3. I have a problem there. The schematic shows the connection going to pin 5/6. I am not sure how to read this. Should I be testing pin 5, pin 6, pin 5 and and 6? How do I read this?[quoted image]

MC14514B 4-Bit Transparent Latch / 4-to-16 Line Decoder

6 = Pin on the IC MC14514B
5 = Internal Output (S5) on Pin 6

MC14514B (resized).PNG
#759 3 days ago

Is there a verdict or opinions of which Seawitch reproduction backglass is better, CPR or John's? Pros & cons for both? One a clear standout?

#760 3 days ago

Working on doing some diag on the lamp board while I wait for the new transistors to show up. Schematics tell me that a lamp that is not working leads back to Q37. Q37 is testing good (while on the board which I know is not 100% accurate).

How did you test that Q37 is working? because it's not a transistor, it's a SCR (silicon controlled rectifier) and they function differently.
Can't say I've ever seen a single output on one of the 4514 CMOS decoder chips go bad.

#761 3 days ago

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate all the help.

Quoted from Chalkey:

I believe it's saying 6, just follow the traces.
Have you verified the socket and wiring end to end already?

No, I haven't been back under the playfield. Just trying to take a look at 1 of the obvious ones.

Quoted from PinNeu:

MC14514B 4-Bit Transparent Latch / 4-to-16 Line Decoder
6 = Pin on the IC MC14514B
5 = Internal Output (S5) on Pin 6[quoted image]

This still sounds weird to me, but if pin 6 is the one to test, I will just ignore the 5.

Quoted from Quench:

How did you test that Q37 is working? because it's not a transistor, it's a SCR (silicon controlled rectifier) and they function differently.
Can't say I've ever seen a single output on one of the 4514 CMOS decoder chips go bad.

found a video on testing the Stern/Bally lamp boards. Put the multi-meter in diode mode, assuming the flat face of the SCR is facing you, put the red lead on the center pin and the black lead on the left pin. A reading of around .6 would indicate the SCR is OK.

I did this on all the SRC's. It did show 1 of the SCR's as not OK, and I was able to track that down to one of lamps that was out. All the others tested good, so I still have 8 I need to figure out.

The chip may be working just fine. I am just trying to find the signal and trace it through. If I don't find the signal at pin 6 then I need to go further upstream.

#762 2 days ago

found a video on testing the Stern/Bally lamp boards. Put the multi-meter in diode mode, assuming the flat face of the SCR is facing you, put the red lead on the center pin and the black lead on the left pin. A reading of around .6 would indicate the SCR is OK.

That doesn't tell you the ability of the SCR to latch on though.
First thing to try is grounding the "Anode" leg of the SCR. The respective lamp should illuminate which tells you wiring from the SCR to the lamp socket and the lamp itself are good - note this doesn't test the SCR, only that the circuit from it to the lamp are good.

Next to manually activate the SCR in circuit, grab a jumper wire and connect one end to test point TP3 on the lamp driver board. Connect the other wire end onto the "Gate" leg of the SCR. If the respective lamp illuminates, the SCR is good. If the lamp still fails to illuminate in lamp test mode, then you can go probing upstream on the 4514 chip.

2N5060a.jpg
SCR_MCR106.jpg

#763 2 days ago

Thanks @quench! It may be a day or 2 before I can try that out, but this is great information. The MCR's are soldered very close to the board, not sure I can get to the pins reliably, but I will see what I can do.

#764 1 day ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Is there a verdict or opinions of which Seawitch reproduction backglass is better, CPR or John's? Pros & cons for both? One a clear standout?

No opinions??

#765 1 day ago

John's seems really nice to me but I haven't seen CPRs.

#766 1 day ago

haven't seen the CPR one. I've got john's and it's very nice

#767 1 day ago

Ill third John's reproduction. I put it side by side the old flaking one and its as close as your gonna get without finding a NOS.

#768 1 day ago

I've got John's and am very happy with it.

#769 1 day ago

That's excellent, thank you everyone.

#770 1 day ago

+1 for John’s.

#771 1 day ago

Another +1 for John's

#772 1 day ago

+1 for John's. Not to mention the packing job he did for shopping the glass. First rate all the way!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,600 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Li, NY
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
There are 772 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 16.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside