DSCF7561 (resized).JPG
DSCF7559 (resized).JPG
IMG_20210310_234950_470 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210310_234950_399 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210310_234950_467 (resized).jpg
20210310_161634 (resized).jpg
20201226_123150 (resized).jpg
20201224_135616 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 7 years ago

Love that abandoned Chevy and the dystopian dioramas. Excellent work there!

So as my avatar hints, I was a model railroader long before falling into the pinball habit. I still am, although the only time I have for it now relates to assignments for magazines. The amazing thing I've found is that all the skills honed by "completing" a realistic railroad, across all facets of model railroading, translates directly into pinball restorations: fine scale painting, electronics, mechanics, cabinetry, even the concept of a troubleshooting matrix. Even the more arcane specialized skills I adopted such as scratch-building (pre-3D printing), graphic design and custom-printing decals, greatly enhanced what I could do with pinball. It's truly uncanny. Heck, even the overall expense is the same these days...

Anyway, here's a few pics from back when I was more in the thick of things... and not just trains either, heh.

LBRWRClr (resized).jpgLBRWRClr (resized).jpg

LBRWRCFocusInterior (resized).jpgLBRWRCFocusInterior (resized).jpg

YatMarkIV_front (resized).jpgYatMarkIV_front (resized).jpg

YatMarkIV (resized).jpgYatMarkIV (resized).jpg

Ecto1_3 (resized).jpgEcto1_3 (resized).jpg

NoseFirem (resized).jpgNoseFirem (resized).jpg
WC7638_Done_Front (resized).jpgWC7638_Done_Front (resized).jpg

OldFreeze6 (resized).jpgOldFreeze6 (resized).jpg
FreezeBoth (resized).jpgFreezeBoth (resized).jpg

Granada-rack_sm (resized).jpgGranada-rack_sm (resized).jpg

MEC_ROCK_234_sm (resized).jpgMEC_ROCK_234_sm (resized).jpg
FC_106_sm (resized).jpgFC_106_sm (resized).jpg

CSX_6796_2 (resized).jpgCSX_6796_2 (resized).jpg

2008_rear (resized).jpg2008_rear (resized).jpg
LBRcars (resized).jpgLBRcars (resized).jpg

FlexiFlow_ModelBeforeAfter (resized).jpgFlexiFlow_ModelBeforeAfter (resized).jpg

FlexiFlow_ProtVsModel (resized).jpgFlexiFlow_ProtVsModel (resized).jpg

AIR_tags (resized).jpgAIR_tags (resized).jpg
BOps2_angle (resized).jpgBOps2_angle (resized).jpg
LN_CF (resized).jpgLN_CF (resized).jpg
GTWroofA (resized).jpgGTWroofA (resized).jpg

1 month later
#75 7 years ago

It's two trailing axles short of an Allegheny, but a C&O compound Mallet (2-6-6-2) is returning to service on the Western Maryland this summer:

https://www.movingfullsteamahead.com/content/co1309

It will be the largest operating articulated steam locomotive in the world until UP finishes the Big Boy next year.

3 years later
#147 4 years ago

So in the "may have bit off more than I can chew" department, I am the proud custodian of these:

20200207_211846 (resized).jpg20200207_211846 (resized).jpg

20200207_211852 (resized).jpg20200207_211852 (resized).jpg

These are 1/18 scale... automobiles. Kits made 40+ years ago by Pocher (Rivarossi) in Italy... *thousands* of parts including metal, leather, and rubber. Working suspension, sprung upholstered interior, operating doors and windows... turning engine... the spoked wheels have to be individually assembled spoke-by-spoke.

The boxes are GIGANTIC and weigh almost 20lbs ea!

20200207_211944 (resized).jpg20200207_211944 (resized).jpg

20200207_212130 (resized).jpg20200207_212130 (resized).jpg

I honestly do intend to build one and am quite confident I can do it. Trouble is... pinball, and model trains (writing for mags), leave me no time or space to do more than one. But I can't decide which...

...If anyone is interested I'm willing to sell one or the other. But they're not cheap (pushing 4 figures each) and you should understand what you're getting into. And I really don't want to ship them, unfortunately. But anyway, not meaning to spam here, PM me if interested, otherwise I thought folks would get a kick out of these. I can't wait to see one completed. In a... few years, oops...

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Very carefully...I have a really nice 1.5" diameter super soft brush I picked up at a show years ago. It does a great job pulling dust off intricate surfaces without damaging any of the details. On the trees, we discovered a diluted glycerin based material at the craft store that is meant for restoring fake plants back to new again. I am not exactly sure how it works, but it made years and years of dust disappear, and did not seem to accelerate new dust sticking to the scenery again.[quoted image]

Never heard of the glycerin spray before... I might have to try that sometime.

To your regimen I'll add compressed canned "air duster". For all the many places brushes can't reach... especially for models if not scenery. Use caution as it takes come careful modulation: you don't want to go full blast against fragile details. But typically, short 1/3 squeeze trigger bursts at close range can really make something look "new" (or old without dust) again. For scenery and other tricky to reach areas, a gentle burst can blow loose dust and debris to where your brush or minivac attachments will take over.

7 months later
#204 3 years ago

Amazing work on that sterling engine! What a thing of beauty.

I you wanted it to be "functional" you could put a small blade on it and make a desktop fan

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-scale-model-builders-here?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.