DSCF7561 (resized).JPG
DSCF7559 (resized).JPG
IMG_20210310_234950_470 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210310_234950_399 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210310_234950_467 (resized).jpg
20210310_161634 (resized).jpg
20201226_123150 (resized).jpg
20201224_135616 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

More of the Junkyard Impala... I get asked about the rust allot, it is indeed real rust, not paint. The only paint on this is the interior green and the white on the body. The side windows are from scratch and the trunk was filled with epoxy to simulate standing water since the trunk no longer closes completely. The grey primered spots on the body have real bondo putty in them. It can be seen allot better in person.

OK. I have to know this: How do you procure and apply real rust to a model? That has to be one of the coolest modeling tricks I have ever seen.

Here is a borrowed pic of yours for any body just stumbling into this thread.

f589930333b652d7f2cc884a338041e1c5b870c7 (resized).jpgf589930333b652d7f2cc884a338041e1c5b870c7 (resized).jpg

#56 7 years ago

Do any of your other gray hairs remember that modeling design contest thing GM had going on in the 60s? You know; The contest where kids sent in their scratch built futuristic cars to GM. It was GM's way of identifying future talent to hire for design.

I have tried Googling for pictures of those old models that showed up in Popular Mechanics and other rags of the same sort and have hod no luck.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Allot of people don't know that they are still being produced simply because you just don't see them everywhere anymore like you did 30+ years ago. Sadly the same with pinball.

I remember when I would pay $1.95 for a AMT car kit. Nowdays, they are $20.00 and up at Micheals. Go to Amazon and search AMT model car. You will choke on the prices.

2 years later
#88 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Yes.cars only[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work !!!

3 months later
#90 4 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I'm currently building a scale model of a Ryder Ericsson stirling engine.
Here's where I'm at right now.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks very good. Are your legs and base castings you made? What kind of tools do you use?

#100 4 years ago

Since you asked, here are the machines I use primarily.
My job being a prototype / R+D machinist, I get to do small jobs for myself when I can fit them in.
One of the perks of being a machinist, I guess![quoted image][quoted image]

You are in a place where mere mortals cannot go.

3 weeks later
#122 4 years ago

EDIT: Wrong thread.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

A LOT! I would kill to have that Ed Roth model nowadays

I remember when they were a $1.95 kit.

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Amazon has a bunch of Rat Fink models, looks like some of them were reissued. I don't know how the quality is on those, but the reviewers seem to like them. I think I'll pick up some of those to make, looks like fun. The original retro ones go for $100-200 each.

Whodathunk that Rat Fink would be around 50 years later ?

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Forgot about this one... I scratch built this HO scale welded rail train based off the prototype that was parked in my town for a while about 10 years ago.

Your bridge is nice, but I think you have one of the best tree/forest builds on any layout I have seen.

#145 4 years ago

These are not mine, but something tells me a lot of you here will get off on this German airport. There are a lot of other videos about this German in Hamburg shop: Trains, airplanes, cities. There are some how-they-did-its, too.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Found the first one![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice weathering job !

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Found the first one![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have a practical question. How you dust or keep the dust off of an intricate layout such as the one with your bridge? How do you keep those trees nice and green?

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Never heard of the glycerin spray before... I might have to try that sometime.
To your regimen I'll add compressed canned "air duster". For all the many places brushes can't reach... especially for models if not scenery. Use caution as it takes come careful modulation: you don't want to go full blast against fragile details. But typically, short 1/3 squeeze trigger bursts at close range can really make something look "new" (or old without dust) again. For scenery and other tricky to reach areas, a gentle burst can blow loose dust and debris to where your brush or minivac attachments will take over.

You got me to thinking about compressed air. I think if I were doing some dusting with air I would get a small compressor and an airbrush. You can adjust the pressure of the air at the compressor, and you can adjust how much air velocity by manipulating the trigger. But the can is more portable.

1 month later
#181 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

1965 Honda S800 by Tamiya
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice paint job. Cool looking car. I'd like to drive one.

2 months later
#189 3 years ago

Today I did the pump housing, and some final fitting and tweaking.
Almost done!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I see your glasses in the back of the pic.

Throw down a dollar bill for size relationship. Please.

3 months later
#198 3 years ago

Getting there!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your machining skills are top shelf.

1 week later
#209 3 years ago

Nice paint job on the T-Bird

8 months later
#218 2 years ago

A coat of paint and a little tweaking, and I'm all done![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

And you have clocked all of your nuts and bolts for uniformity. Nice.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-scale-model-builders-here?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.