3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by jhanley
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 186 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200330_210829 (resized).jpg
s-l400 (1) (resized).jpg
20200324_083421 (resized).jpg
RB6-1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5656 (resized).JPG
IMG_5655 (resized).JPG
IMG_5654 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
PH (resized).JPG
stirling3 (resized).JPG
stirling2 (resized).JPG
Stirling1 (resized).JPG
coolspring_03 jpg (resized).jpg
20171223_151605 (resized).jpg
20170321_192531 (resized).jpg
20160608_212717 (resized).jpg

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

When I'm not playing pins, I like to build scale model cars, trucks, and bikes in my free time. I have been in the hobby for the past 33 years and started building for competition about 20 years ago, traveling to model shows between pin shows. I also do replica builds for those wanting a smaller version of their actual vehicles. Anyone else here build?

IMG_20160619_133138 (resized).jpg

IMG_20141129_143042 (resized).jpg

10389986_10152214877672314_950618054373379685_n (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_170108 (resized).jpg

IMG_20160720_222814 - Copy (2) - Copy (resized).jpg

IMG_20160724_151311 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Very nice work.

I built when I was younger, and started to do replicas of my vehicles. Haven't finished them yet lol. Someday

#3 3 years ago

Very nice work. I have built a few in my past. Have several in "unfinished" stages. Your examples look nicely done. I can't stand to see models that are slapped together w/crappy paint and glue everywhere.

#4 3 years ago

That rusted out car is great!
I started out with aircraft and have moved into other military models.

#5 3 years ago

Really nice weathering on that '62 Chevy.

The pinball hobby essentially put an end to my modeling days, since I don't have room to do both. Been collecting 1/25 musclecar kits since the 90's and now several hundred are destined to sit in boxes. I used to design and make my own photoetched parts, decals and everything. Do you visit the Spotlight Hobbies message board? Lots of good pics, tips, advice and stories there.

#6 3 years ago

I built a model car once. It looked like crap.

This is much harder than it looks. Your work is exceptional!

#7 3 years ago

I used to build a HELL of a lot of armor models, some planes, even started competing with them and doing fairly well. Been a while though. Kinda miss it but no room in the shop right now. Can't find a LOT of my pictures at the moment, did find one good one to share.

F4D-09 (resized).JPG

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Really nice weathering on that '62 Chevy.
Do you visit the Spotlight Hobbies message board? Lots of good pics, tips, advice and stories there.

Thank you!! I have never heard of the spotlight forum. I have been a member of numerous others over the years and I owe allot to them for teaching me what I have learned, also YouTube. I hate to say it, but without the internet I don't know where I'd be skill wise today.

1 week later
#9 3 years ago

Yeah, I used to have a problem.

01 (resized).JPG

02 (resized).JPG

03 (resized).JPG

04 (resized).JPG

05 (resized).JPG

06 (resized).JPG

07 (resized).JPG

08 (resized).JPG

09 (resized).JPG

10 (resized).JPG

11 (resized).JPG

#10 3 years ago

Every couple of years I will get out a few kits and build them. My experience with painting models with an airbrush has helped me with pinball play field restoration. Here is my last bunch I built a few years ago. Can you find the common theme (besides USAF Jets..)?

IMG_4905 (resized).JPG

#11 3 years ago

All three are trainers

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

All three are trainers

Close, but not quite. I don't think the F-16a's were used as trainers.

#13 3 years ago

I recently took up the scale modeling hobby again after years - hadn't built one since I was under 12.
It seems like the hobby is somewhat slow here in the States, but a lot more popular over in Europe and the Far East.
The quality of available paints and weathering products is amazing though, I've been spending a few bucks on this stuff.

My thing is Star Wars ships - Bandai has an amazing line of accurate model kits.
I also have this full Falcon kit sitting in boxes in my basement, for when my skills improve.
http://www.model-space.com/us/build-millennium-falcon.html
Thanks for cross posting this topic, it's a fun discussion to see who else in the group has similar interests.
Dan

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcadedl:

My thing is Star Wars ships - Bandai has an amazing line of accurate model kits.
I also have this full Falcon kit sitting in boxes in my basement, for when my skills improve.
http://www.model-space.com/us/build-millennium-falcon.html
Thanks for cross posting this topic, it's a fun discussion to see who else in the group has similar interests.
Dan

Trying to find out how well the Bandai stuff compares to FineMolds kits. I really wish I had grabbed some of them, kept waiting on an A-Wing and B-wing.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

Yeah, I used to have a problem.

Wow, how old is that model of the SS United States? It's docked in Philly right now, basically in ghost ship condition. Here's a pic I took of it from the water in the Spring.

SS United States (resized).jpg

#16 3 years ago

In my "spare" time, I also build scale figures. I have done this since I was a child. I mostly focus on military figures, but also like to build the occasional diorama. I recently started to build "post-apocalyptic"/stalker scenes.....

16588589676_28eb896f3c_z (resized).jpg

16613926712_eb205c591e_z (resized).jpg

16622584446_2e8621d02e_z (resized).jpg

16631818876_f49f96ed55_z (resized).jpg

16624705670_de10d4266c_z (resized).jpg

26146356334_021fc0af06_z (resized).jpg

26685241931_72ca550c21_z (resized).jpg

26685242981_d0e386b1d8_z (resized).jpg

29166686272_816673867d_z (resized).jpg

26726959796_a3471020e6_z (resized).jpg

29274785405_7016738b1e_z (resized).jpg

29774587635_60172a7a65_z (resized).jpg

#17 3 years ago

Hhase - The Star Wars Bandai kits seem to be regarded as superior to Fine Molds, which of course set the bar a few years back. Revell Germany started re-releasing some of the Fine Molds kits last year, check out the 1/72 Millennium Falcon if you want a challenge (900+ parts).

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

When I'm not playing pins, I like to build scale model cars

the real cars and bike in the photos are cool ... you should make some models of them

seriously, awesome talent. i used to do it when i was a kid and those have nearly got me inspired to try it again.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

In my "spare" time, I also build scale figures. I have done this since I was a child. I mostly focus on military figures, but also like to build the occasional diorama. I recently started to build "post-apocalyptic"/stalker scenes.....

Wow! Fantastic work! I always love to see this level of attention to detail. When I was a teen I was commissioned by my local hobby store to build lots of 1:48 aircraft to hang on the ceiling. Built lots of Testors and Italeri kits. Silly hobby store owner wanted all the canopies painted silver, but I detailed the cockpits anyway

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

I played the 3 STALKER games for way too many hours, enough to be like "get away from that manhole, the machine-gunner is right there!" The sewers with that murmuring voice is still the creepiest thing I ever experienced in a computer game.

Very nicely done models.

#21 3 years ago

Love that abandoned Chevy and the dystopian dioramas. Excellent work there!

So as my avatar hints, I was a model railroader long before falling into the pinball habit. I still am, although the only time I have for it now relates to assignments for magazines. The amazing thing I've found is that all the skills honed by "completing" a realistic railroad, across all facets of model railroading, translates directly into pinball restorations: fine scale painting, electronics, mechanics, cabinetry, even the concept of a troubleshooting matrix. Even the more arcane specialized skills I adopted such as scratch-building (pre-3D printing), graphic design and custom-printing decals, greatly enhanced what I could do with pinball. It's truly uncanny. Heck, even the overall expense is the same these days...

Anyway, here's a few pics from back when I was more in the thick of things... and not just trains either, heh.

LBRWRClr (resized).jpg

LBRWRCFocusInterior (resized).jpg

YatMarkIV_front (resized).jpg

YatMarkIV (resized).jpg

Ecto1_3 (resized).jpg

NoseFirem (resized).jpg
WC7638_Done_Front (resized).jpg

OldFreeze6 (resized).jpg
FreezeBoth (resized).jpg

Granada-rack_sm (resized).jpg

MEC_ROCK_234_sm (resized).jpg
FC_106_sm (resized).jpg

CSX_6796_2 (resized).jpg

2008_rear (resized).jpg
LBRcars (resized).jpg

FlexiFlow_ModelBeforeAfter (resized).jpg

FlexiFlow_ProtVsModel (resized).jpg

AIR_tags (resized).jpg
BOps2_angle (resized).jpg
LN_CF (resized).jpg
GTWroofA (resized).jpg

#22 3 years ago

So far all awesomeness in this thread! Just great work by everyone. So many common connections with pinball, especially model railroading.

#23 3 years ago

I recently completed this Millennium Falcon (Poor quality photo) and currently working on an x-wing.

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Wow, how old is that model of the SS United States? It's docked in Philly right now, basically in ghost ship condition. Here's a pic I took of it from the water in the Spring.

The Revell is the '96 reissue. I'm not sure when the Glenco kit came out.
I used to go to the local hobby shop every payday & buy a model or two. You never knew if a model would be reissued so I hoarded just in case.
I need to do an inventory. Some of the shelves are two or three deep.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Millennium Falcon

Wow! I've never seen that kit with lights installed. That looks great.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Wow! I've never seen that kit with lights installed. That looks great.

Thanks

It was actuallly a heavily modded hasbo toy. The bones of the toy had a good amount of details on the top and bottom, but it only had stickers most of the way around the sides. It also had no lights. I scratch built and kit bashed to create all the side details and fitted led lighting inside. I made the blue engine vents at the back also. I custom built the base and fitted lighting inside. It had a complete repaint with battle damage added. It was a lot of fun to do.

I even met Peter Mayhew at a local convention and he signed the base for me.

#27 3 years ago

So much greatness in this thread. I used to make model kits but haven't in a long while.
Love looking at everyone's creations. Thanks.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from GoodManners:

So much greatness in this thread. I used to make model kits but haven't in a long while.
Love looking at everyone's creations. Thanks.

Same here!

#29 3 years ago

Love the amazing Paint Work done on all these...I marvel at the talent!

Having spare time now, I worked on 2 models this past weekend.

Ones Lego Architecture, The Flat Iron building....What a blast!
(Going to see if I can turn it into a Firehouse cover for GB), and the other speaks for itself!

Pales in comparison to the talent shown before, but hell, im having fun being a teenager again!

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Love the amazing Paint Work done on all these...I marvel at the talent!
Having spare time now, I worked on 2 models this past weekend.
Ones Lego Architecture, The Flat Iron building....What a blast!
(Going to see if I can turn it into a Firehouse cover for GB), and the other speaks for itself!
Pales in comparison to the talent shown before, but hell, im having fun being a teenager again!

OLDPINGUY you should give Gunpla a try. (Gundam models). They snap together with no glue required and you don't need to paint them if you don't want to as they are pre-coloured. You can just weather them and top coat them. The engineering on these kits is fantastic and the articulation on them (especially the master grade kits) is fantastic. There are heaps of resources online. This site is good: https://www.gunpla101.com/category/tutorials/

A great place to buy is from hobbylink Japan online if you don't mind waiting, even with postage, they might be cheaper than eBay or your local hobby shop.

Some people go to great lengths with their Gunpla, with full custom re-paints, mods, custom bases. But it is just fun putting the kits together. I find the build relaxing.

Happy model making!

IMG_1035 (resized).JPG

IMG_1036 (resized).JPG

#31 3 years ago

Ill look into them...Thank you!

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

the real cars and bike in the photos are cool ... you should make some models of them
seriously, awesome talent. i used to do it when i was a kid and those have nearly got me inspired to try it again.

Thank you sir!! Much appreciated!!

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Love that abandoned Chevy and the dystopian dioramas. Excellent work there!
So as my avatar hints, I was a model railroader long before falling into the pinball habit. I still am, although the only time I have for it now relates to assignments for magazines. The amazing thing I've found is that all the skills honed by "completing" a realistic railroad, across all facets of model railroading, translates directly into pinball restorations: fine scale painting, electronics, mechanics, cabinetry, even the concept of a troubleshooting matrix. Even the more arcane specialized skills I adopted such as scratch-building (pre-3D printing), graphic design and custom-printing decals, greatly enhanced what I could do with pinball. It's truly uncanny. Heck, even the overall expense is the same these days...
Anyway, here's a few pics from back when I was more in the thick of things... and not just trains either, heh.

I love weather train cars!! I was into HO and N scale when I was a teen but not anymore. I was weathering with chalk powders back then and I have gained many more weathering skills since then. Outstanding work sir!!

Glad to see this thread getting response!!!

#34 3 years ago

Just finished this one a few days ago. 1963-65 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT. Lowered suspension, aftermarket tires and wheels, interior carpeting, bare metal foil trim, factory chrome stripped and re-chromed.

IMG_20170124_121353 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170124_121609 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170124_121628 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170124_121652 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170124_121738 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170124_121723 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170124_121757 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170124_131334 (resized).jpg

#35 3 years ago

More of the Junkyard Impala... I get asked about the rust allot, it is indeed real rust, not paint. The only paint on this is the interior green and the white on the body. The side windows are from scratch and the trunk was filled with epoxy to simulate standing water since the trunk no longer closes completely. The grey primered spots on the body have real bondo putty in them. It can be seen allot better in person.

IMG_20150618_165742 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_165722 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_165700 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_165756 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_165817 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_165847 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_165829 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_165902 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_165953 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_165943 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_170009 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_170037 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_170048 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_170116 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_170129 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_170152 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_170218 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_170237 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_170347 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_170408 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_170434 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150618_170421 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150616_211204 (resized).jpg

IMG_20150616_211132 (resized).jpg

#36 3 years ago

I build working scale models of antique hit and miss engines.

1 5-21 (resized).JPG

3 5-21 (resized).JPG

domestic3 (resized).JPG

domestic4 (resized).JPG

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

More of the Junkyard Impala... I get asked about the rust allot, it is indeed real rust, not paint. The only paint on this is the interior green and the white on the body. The side windows are from scratch and the trunk was filled with epoxy to simulate standing water since the trunk no longer closes completely. The grey primered spots on the body have real bondo putty in them. It can be seen allot better in person.

Gosh dang it, that thing is SWEET!!! Make me a Rat Rod!!!

#39 3 years ago

True talent and patience to do that kind of detailed craft. Kudos to you sir! Just in case you've never done a Trans Am before I own a 97

image (resized).jpg

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from PonchoPinDude:

True talent and patience to do that kind of detailed craft. Kudos to you sir! Just in case you've never done a Trans Am before I own a 97

Well, the kit exists. I can build an exact replica. I do commission builds pretty regularly.

SAM_0813.212130438_std (resized).jpg

#41 3 years ago

That rusty Chevy is awesome!

E

#42 3 years ago

So much talent and creativity here !!!
I love your work. You've made me go to the basement and look for some old kits still in storage.

#43 3 years ago

Just found all of these at a thrift store PM if you want any or all ... just need what I paid $50ish

NCM_0006 (resized).JPG

#44 3 years ago

I haven't built any models for quite a few years now, keep threatening to do so just never seem to find the time in between work, pinball, etc. The Katana won a 2nd place back in 2002 at Melbourne Model Expo, Kenny Roberts Yamaha commended the following year. As you can tell by the "Pith Stop" Effie, painting figures is NOT my forte The figures in the M1 Lee were painted/detailed by a mate i will quickly add. I'm always blown away by the detail and skill of other modellers, there are some fantastically talented people out there that's for sure. Might dust off the skills soon cause i want to create a backdrop and road base for my Whodunnit Chevy topper.

Model pics 1 (resized).jpg

Model pics 2 (resized).jpg

Model pics 3 (resized).jpg

Model pics 4 (resized).jpg

#45 3 years ago

sohchx Your Junkyard Impala is beyond impressive. Bravo, sir!

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

sohchx Your Junkyard Impala is beyond impressive. Bravo, sir!

Thank you sir!! Much appreciated!!!

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Well, the kit exists. I can build an exact replica. I do commission builds pretty regularly.

That's so cool! I had no idea there was a kit for my car. You are local to me, so I might take you up on building me one. Thanks!

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Holy crap. My 1st car that I owned in highschool was this exact color. Green with rust. 66 Ford Galaxy.

#49 3 years ago

Great work guys! I used to love building old muscle car models. Spent many months on each build. I still have them all but no photos atm as they are in a show cabinet at my cottage. Will get photos when im back up there in the spring. Cant really build anymore as my eyesite close up is pretty bad now and certainly dont have the steady hands i once used to have .

3 weeks later
#50 3 years ago

Ok, I just HAD to knock one out, and it got me back in the mood.

F-89J in 1/72nd, straight from the Academy kit. Airbrush isn't set up right now so it's all aerosol and brush.
No weathering because I'm not in the mood.

F89-1 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Latenight Weeknight Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 208.87
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
$ 179.99
£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
$ 5.00
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 30.00
Apparel - Men
Pinball Haus
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 269.00
$ 27.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
$ 89.99
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
€ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 63.50
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside