(Topic ID: 282284)

Any savings to buying a routed machine and swapping in new PF?

By Markharris2000

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I am considering getting a TZ or TOM, and wondered if the net-net outcome of finding a working but routed machine and swapping in a new REPRO PF would be significantly less $ than the $7k or so I would spend to find a unit in great condition? Half of me wants to explore what a full PF swap is feels like, and the other half of me does NOT want to spend 200(?) hours enjoying that adventure. If the difference is a couple of thousand dollars, then perhaps its worth it. But if its a wash on pricing, I would be happy to save the 200 hours.

Thoughts?

#2 3 years ago

So if you get the game for 2k less, 1k of that goes out the window for a new PF right away. So, now you have a complete swap to do for 1k. Unless you're one of those weirdos that needs to extra-clear a brand new cleared PF, add in hundreds more and months of waiting...but I digress.

Really comes down to whether you WANT to do it or not. It's kind of fun, kind of frustrating, very time confusing, there are highs and lows....it's a marathon. Personally, I wouldn't my first swap to be a modern game..,and sure as shit not TZ.
    Sometimes being a check writer has it's benefits.

#3 3 years ago

That is how I was leaning. I have this fantasy that I will find a pizza shop with an unplugged TZ or TOM sitting in the corner that I can buy for a song, and then swap the PF myself. I think that dream is fading fast.... but there is something so 'solid' about the 90's vintage machines compared to NIB.
    I have TOTAN-1995 and JP-2020 and they really feel so vastly different. I will probably never part with either (but there is room for a third!) LOL

#4 3 years ago

Even if you swap the playfield you will still have a routed cabinet, electronics, and playfield parts.

Chances are if the playfield is bad enough to need replacing there is going to be a ton of other parts that need it as well. That being said I'm all for people fixing up games, but as far as cost goes it would probably be more advantageous to buy a good example of the game you are looking for.

#5 3 years ago

Another thing to think about, those two titles garner big money even in a dumpy condition. I just saw a box of parts that belonged to an entire TZ game go for 2k......no cabinet! So in short, you may be better off finding a decent/working example.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

That is how I was leaning. I have this fantasy that I will find a pizza shop with an unplugged TZ or TOM sitting in the corner that I can buy for a song, and then swap the PF myself. I think that dream is fading fast.... but there is something so 'solid' about the 90's vintage machines compared to NIB.
    I have TOTAN-1995 and JP-2020 and they really feel so vastly different. I will probably never part with either (but there is room for a third!) LOL

I have found one of these fabled folded up TOMs. Most people google the name and think it’s worth 10k. Even the POS one I found the guy literally would not price it and he’s sat on it for 8 years...
    it’s not gonna happen. Buy a nice example for 7k imo.

#8 3 years ago

Reality setting in...

#9 3 years ago

not the title to swap and not gonna find a routed one for very much cheaper than a decent routed then home version. And if you find a HUO for under $9000 I would be extremely surprised.

#10 3 years ago

Both of those games a bitch to swap. Pay a little more and find a decent one. TZ is always available.

#11 3 years ago

I enjoy restoring much more than playing pinball. So, I'd rather buy a thrashed game and restore it. It's very gratifying to see your final finished restore job.

#12 3 years ago

I have this fantasy that I will find a pizza shop with an unplugged TZ or TOM sitting in the corner that I can buy for a song, and then swap the PF myself. I think that dream is fading fast.... L

I believe most of us have this dream. It could happen, but only when you least expect it.

#13 3 years ago

Cheap WPC games are really hard to come by these days. Everybody wants them and hustles to get them. Plus, many projects out there have already been restored or refurbished, and most of what's left are the bottom of the barrel basket cases that people want well over top dollar for.

I agree, if you want an upper tier WPC game, you're probably better off getting one that's already been restored than a project that needs a playfield swap. You might get lucky, but these days, it's like trying to win the lottery.

#14 3 years ago

I saw a TZ at a local small restaurant near me in March which started this whole thought. Here it is 8 months later and it is still sitting in the same corner, COVID took care of that. Perhaps a call to the owner to squash this fantasy for good. Maybe cash flow would be a motivator for him...

#15 3 years ago

Plenty of routed games don’t require a playfield swap. Just clean them up, replace worn out parts, get them working 100% and enjoy.

#16 3 years ago

I saw a TZ at a local small restaurant near me in March which started this whole thought.

Hi, sorry dream crusher here to finish the job.

Here it is 8 months later and it is still sitting in the same corner, COVID took care of that.

Did it? You might be amazed to hear how many people in this thread has some routed games they tried to snag over the years that never worked out. Going to the place, even talking to the owners, hanging around shooting the shit etc etc never to come close (spoilers his wife looked up some prices online).
    I have spend COUNTLESS weekends at my local Ice Cream Parlor*, bowling ally, & Go cart* track trying to butter them up.

Perhaps a call to the owner to squash this fantasy for good.

18% chance you can get hold of him.

Maybe cash flow would be a motivator for him...

THAT'S THE DREAM!!! Reality is he probably paid for the thing 15 years ago so waiting till the business openings up and he goes back to making a small sum a week for no work is enough for most.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go get an ice cream on a go cart.

EDIT: * of course these aren't the actual businesses' that I'm trying to get machines from....I'd never let that info slip....I'm so close to closing the deals!!!

#17 3 years ago

I saw a TZ at a local small restaurant near me in March which started this whole thought. Here it is 8 months later and it is still sitting in the same corner, COVID took care of that. Perhaps a call to the owner to squash this fantasy for good. Maybe cash flow would be a motivator for him...

All you can do is try, but a game sitting out in public view like that has already been poked at dozens of times, so don't expect anything, especially with a cold call. If the owner actually wants to sell it, I'm sure he has more than 5 ways to do that before he gets to a cold caller bothering him on his time off.

The trick is to cultivate contacts to get at games that are not in public view.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Reality is he probably paid for the thing 15 years ago so waiting till the business openings up and he goes back to making a small sum a week for no work is enough for most.

Yep, it's basically free money.

#18 3 years ago

Just find one for sale, and pick it up. You'll spend more time (that you will never get back) chasing a game owned by an Op to save a bit of $. It's not worth it.

And if you really want to do a pf swap on a TZ, have fun.

#19 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for their input. The comment about machines sitting in public view really reasonates and probably means folks have taken a run at it lots of times. I will keep my eyes open for a reasonable quality TZ or TOM machine and just tune it up as needed.

Have a great Thanksgiving all!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-savings-to-buying-a-routed-machine-and-swapping-in-new-pf?hl=sawbill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.