20150208_194308_zpsemhhxeen (1) (resized).JPG
20150208_195914_zpsxz4hvpcu (resized).JPG
20150208_190947_zpszzhxmp0n (resized).JPG
decent (resized).jpg
DandD2 (resized).jpg
DandD1 (resized).jpg
mimic (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I used to play a ton of pen and paper role playing games when I was in my teens, and I got to wondering if there were any pinheads that enjoy playing them as well.

I've recently started up a new 5th edition D&D campaign with some of my high school buddies using a virtual table top program over the internet. The VTT program is great, because we've all moved to different states now, and it allows us to get together again.

Anyone else have a bag of dice sitting in their closet somewhere?

mimic (resized).jpgmimic (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I might be kind of old for you. I still have the original Gygax and Anderson box set and AD&D guides.

I didn't have money to have a bunch of the lead figures. So I would go to the outside range where the local police did target practice and dig the lead out of the dirt hill so I could pour my own.

DandD1 (resized).jpgDandD1 (resized).jpg

DandD2 (resized).jpgDandD2 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

AD&D was one of my first hobbies. Still have the same original boxed set that Taxman has above....plus all the original AD&D hardcovers (including a rare Dieties & Demigods with Cthulhu & Melnibonean mythos) and a gazillion modules and campaign sets....plus hundreds of issues of Dragon magazine....plus hundreds of lead figures & boxed figure sets. I really should throw all this up on ebay one day as it's all just sitting in boxes now.

Had loads of fun with AD&D back in the day. My DM was a big H.P. Lovecraft and Elric fan, so all our sessions centered around those stories.

#4 7 years ago

The Lovecraft campaigns were always short -

"You enter the spooky house and open a closet door. You see a glimpse of a statue. Your character is now insane"

#5 7 years ago

Very cool.

I started a bit later than you guys with AD&D. I still have my books and a giant box of minis that were all badly painted.

#6 7 years ago

Back in 79 we used to get together at lunch in high school and play games based on chaos points. To survive you had to do evil things. You could not leave a place without busting it up. And if you killed a few Orcs you did rude things with the corpses.

I was the DM a lot. I did what I could to get people interested. Geeks and Nerds were not as loved back then.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Back in 79 we used to get together at lunch in high school and play games based on chaos points. To survive you had to do evil things. You could not leave a place without busting it up. And if you killed a few Orcs you did rude things with the corpses.
I was the DM a lot. I did what I could to get people interested. Geeks and Nerds were not as loved back then.

Our DM was into running campaigns with evil characters, so much so that the "anti-paladin" was a favorite character class. The Lovecraft/Elric campaign was a years-long thing due in no small part to that; we weren't always "against" the forces of evil, although you shouldn't really trust a chaotic evil god to keep his bargains in any case.

#8 7 years ago

My group back in the early 90s created our own hybrid of 1st & 2nd Edition with our own rules for spellcasters.

As DM, I changed the spell rules to eliminate "memorizing" spells and instead used spell points. Our logic was that a spellcaster knew their spells well enough to cast them, but still required components and Spell Points to cast them.

It worked well for our group and was very popular with new comers to our games.

Great memories and greater friends came out of that era of my life. But I doubt I could dedicate full weekends to campaigns as was the norm in my early 20s.

Marcus

#9 7 years ago

Played D&D - then AD&D in the late 70's.
Quickly gave up for other RPG.

My favorite games Call of Chthulhu (Lovecraft needs a very good DM and players interested in the unique ambiance), Ars Magica and "Reves de Dragon".

#10 7 years ago

Ah great times, I started out in the late 70's D&D. Still have all my books and whatnot.

#11 7 years ago

I was never a fan of D&D genre, but I enjoyed the newer, 'urban fantasy' type games. (Exalted, Paranoia, Adventure!, etc..) Somewhere in this house I have a shutload of dice, too.

#12 7 years ago

I haven't really played D&D, but James M Ward is one of my poker buddies and plays in my home game when I host.

#13 7 years ago

I have pretty much every early edition module for the game from the early 80's, every book from the same era, and I have a collection of several thousand of the metal miniatures from the 70's/80's and some newer. Still play once in a while with my kids. I have an Ebay store where I sell the vintage miniatures and an occasional book etc. Even have a copy of the Necromican Spell Book.

Added over 8 years ago: ebay.com link: ebay.com

#14 7 years ago

Great way to blow a Saturday

decent (resized).jpgdecent (resized).jpg

#15 7 years ago

I play 5e over roll20, currently our party is working its way through the end of the Hoard of the Dragon Queen module. Very excited to DM a few sessions out of the Curse of Strahd book this winter. I love vampire mythology and it will be interesting to see how it plays out!

#16 7 years ago

Final Fantasy tactics and star ocean 2 for life! Like the wolfpac.

#17 7 years ago

Until this april I had a group that I ran for years, every Sunday. Running a weekly game as adults just started to wear on me. I am the only one left in the group with little kids and I just have other things I would rather be doing. My group was all about the game. They wanted nothing to do with my Pinball or Arcades, and had no interest in any other games if someone couldn't make it. I think at this point I might move to a bi-weekly game night that will focus on board games or pinball, something that doesn't require much effort or planning. The kids are begging me to play so I will probably start running a game just for my kids (8 & 9 years old). I had a lot of fun with D&D on and off spanning about 32 years but I think it's time to put it to rest.

I have 4 large cases of 1st & 2nd edition books and boxed sets. I also have about 2000 miniatures and TONS of 3D printed terrain. I figure I can sell that stuff and buy a new Pin. =)

20150208_190947_zpszzhxmp0n (resized).JPG20150208_190947_zpszzhxmp0n (resized).JPG20150208_195914_zpsxz4hvpcu (resized).JPG20150208_195914_zpsxz4hvpcu (resized).JPG24321093773_67e6403f45_z (resized).jpg24321093773_67e6403f45_z (resized).jpg24855528784_682dce211e_o (resized).jpg24855528784_682dce211e_o (resized).jpg

20150208_194308_zpsemhhxeen (1) (resized).JPG20150208_194308_zpsemhhxeen (1) (resized).JPG

20150222_183438_zpsl3pgpbma (resized).JPG20150222_183438_zpsl3pgpbma (resized).JPG

#18 7 years ago

Meph, my son really liked the photos you shared!

He's just gotten into D&D recently, so I'm trying to dredge up what little I remember from my teenage years playing the original game. He's already way beyond me though--here he is reading one of the monster guides this am.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#19 7 years ago

Nice, you should try the game with him. Looks like he is reading the 5E books. I own them and tried them but had a difficult time with accepting all the changes they made, but they really are changes for the better. The game is more welcoming to new players and made for smaller groups (4) than the older editions where most modules were meant for large groups of 6-8. I am not sure if I will teach my kids with 1st Edition or 5th Edition, probably 5th. It gives the players a LOT more to do early in the game.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Neuromancer87:

I play 5e over roll20, currently our party is working its way through the end of the Hoard of the Dragon Queen module. Very excited to DM a few sessions out of the Curse of Strahd book this winter. I love vampire mythology and it will be interesting to see how it plays out!

Currently, I'm running Curse of Strahd using the Fantasygrounds VTT, and they did a great job with this adventure. My only complaint, is that the way they laid out all the chapters makes it a little confusing the first time you read through. Everything is out of order.

#21 7 years ago

I played a lot of AD&D in my early years. Then it was shadowrun in my teens. After that came online games (Asherons call, world of Warcraft). Now? It's pinball, work, and family

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

Nice, you should try the game with him. Looks like he is reading the 5E books. I own them and tried them but had a difficult time with accepting all the changes they made, but they really are changes for the better. The game is more welcoming to new players and made for smaller groups (4) than the older editions where most modules were meant for large groups of 6-8. I am not sure if I will teach my kids with 1st Edition or 5th Edition, probably 5th. It gives the players a LOT more to do early in the game.

5e has some interesting changes. I really like the advantage / disadvantage concepts as well as toning down the amount of time you're in combat. I've played in a few Pathfinder adventures, and it could get grueling if it was a high combat type adventure. You'd spend your entire night fighting rather than making any progress in the game.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I played a lot of AD&D in my early years. Then it was shadowrun in my teens. After that came online games (Asherons call, world of Warcraft). Now? It's pinball, work, and family

Funny my progression was the same. AD&D, Shadowrun, then Everquest, AC, DAoC, WoW with the Wife. Now I am the same with pinball, work, family....still been throwing in some gaming on the side. Just recently played a couple months of EQ with the wife again but summer always ends ALL of that. Kids are back to school tomorrow and before we know it, it will be snowing. Then I usually find something to play again. Easy to find the time in the evening to play something for a couple hours a week with the wife, harder to dedicate a whole evening to D&D with some friends.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

5e has some interesting changes. I really like the advantage / disadvantage concepts as well as toning down the amount of time you're in combat. I've played in a few Pathfinder adventures, and it could get grueling if it was a high combat type adventure. You'd spend your entire night fighting rather than making any progress in the game.

I love 5e. It just feels so streamlined and clean compared to 4, which was too combat heavy for my taste. 5e is generally more approachable for modern tastes. I am fortunate to be in a group that likes Roleplay much more than combat. It is really boring to spend your whole night in combat alongside players who have min/maxed for combat, while my character is optimized for Roleplay and actually being, ya know, interesting. D&D is a Roleplay game with a small combat component.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Currently, I'm running Curse of Strahd using the Fantasygrounds VTT, and they did a great job with this adventure. My only complaint, is that the way they laid out all the chapters makes it a little confusing the first time you read through. Everything is out of order.

I am definitely going to check this out!

#26 7 years ago

We used to play D&D all summer long as teens in the late 80's & early 90's! I was Always a Woodland Elf Ranger. I was Sick with a bow! Lol
I bought 4th edition about 2 years ago & started to DM for the 1st time with my kids. They Love it!
Honestly, it's great family time! Even the wife plays!

#27 7 years ago

I grew up near lake geneva, WI where it all started. My 7th grade science teacher, john wheeler wrote modules and some of the text for the monster manuals with gary gygax. We were very fortunate to have him as our DM. Just bought all the books and I am going to teach the kids when they are older

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-rpg-dd-fans-out-there and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.