(Topic ID: 271790)

Any recommendations on removing this paper label for reuse?

By BlackCatBone

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC04598 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I've got a banged up counter that I plan to replace in this 1956 Bally game. I'd like to remove the "High Score" paper label and transfer it to the new counter. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting the paper label off in one reusable piece? It's held on by whatever adhesive Bally was using in the 1950s. I know I can print a new label but I'd prefer to save the original. Thanks.

DSC04598 (resized).jpgDSC04598 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

This sort of stuff?

Just soak the hell out of it and go slow so not to tear the label.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/un-du-118ml-adhesive-remover_p1560577

"Un-Du instantly neutralises all self-sticking adhesives and then quickly evaporates, enabling you to re-use the sticker, stamp, label or tape."

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation. I'd never heard of this product, so now Un-Du is on my radar. I was going to order a can when I thought I'd try one more thing: heat. I removed the meter plate (or housing) with the "High Score" sticker, then used my heat gun on the *reverse* side of the metal plate. After about 15 minutes I was able to lift one corner of the label and use that to pull the label off against the slight resistance of the gummy adhesive. The paper stock Bally used was heavy enough that I didn't sense I was risking tearing the label. The label came off without any discoloration.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-recommendations-on-removing-this-paper-label-for-reuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.