(Topic ID: 202381)

Any recent Twilight Zone LED conversions?

By alb0711

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Ran35
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171003_174026 (resized).jpg
20171003_174257 (resized).jpg
20171003_174234 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I want to convert my recently acquired Twilight Zone to LED. I'm thinking I'll probably buy a kit because I'm partially color blind and would hope a kit will be a better match then I could do with individual LED's.

If you've converted in the last year or two, did you use a kit? If so where did you get it? Anything you would do differently if you were to do the conversion now?

Thanks!
Allen

#2 6 years ago

Personally, I'm not a fan of coloured LEDs in GI. I like frosted white LEDs. Brightens up the playfield and doesn't wash out the plastics.

#3 6 years ago

I did mine a little while back. No kit - it's always been cheaper for me to just buy big bags of stuff; I have done several games and just needed a lot of bulbs. I do put some color matched bulbs occasionally (mostly blue and yellow). Red you just need to get the right level of brightness on the LED - too bright, and it can look orange. Cool white for inserts. Warm white for GI.

There's almost no need to do color matching really, though - mine has LEDOCD and GIOCD installed - those are much better value than trying to match color, IMO. You can dial down each individual bulb if they are too bright, and get the perfect insert color. Highly, highly recommend it.

100% agree that frosted bulbs make good sense. Just get those nice domed ones to replace exposed condom bulbs and you're in business

#4 6 years ago

The pinballbulbs kit is great, the extra strips and spots really brighten the game up without making it look like clown puke. They have had Black Friday sales in the past, it might be worth waiting a couple weeks.

#5 6 years ago

Just choose whether you like warm or cool white and buy those for the GI. For the inserts, you can color match.

Don't use color bulbs in the GI. It always looks terrible. Always.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Just choose whether you like warm or cool white and buy those for the GI. For the inserts, you can color match.

or, use sunlight white (from Comet).

#7 6 years ago

IMHO, I wouldn't color match inserts, as there are a couple different red inserts, and using red LEDs, you'd lose the difference. I went all warm white in GI and inserts, and had to go for natural white (sunlight) in the backbox because my translight is old and yellowed from the incandescents.

I'm also not a fan of landing planes on my TZ, so I tried to keep the color wash to a minumm.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks for all of the ideas!

Sounds like it is easy to overdo it. I converted my Pinbot to LEDs using a coin taker kit a few years back and decided I didn't like the LED flashers. TZ is such a beautiful game without mods.

#9 6 years ago

In my opinion, LED flashers are often too bright. If you do LEDs everywhere else, and keep the flashers incandescent...no one will notice or complain that the flashers aren't bright enough.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

In my opinion, LED flashers are often too bright. If you do LEDs everywhere else, and keep the flashers incandescent...no one will notice or complain that the flashers aren't bright enough.

If they are under plastics or inserts they can be ok, but if they're pointed at your face - usually yes too bright. I have put some masking tape over mine occasionally - warms them up and dampens the blinding flash.

#11 6 years ago

I am into color matching the GI Lighting with the plastics and areas with LEDs. Here are pics of an LED conversion I did for a customer's TZ that I shopped out recently. I used CoinTaker Frosted bulbs for all GI. I think it diffuses the light better. I used Cool White for the front flipper area and general GI. Under the mini-playfield I used purple and then used red for the Gumball area and blue under the ramp. Also added an LED strip under the backbox to light up the top of the ramp (See the flipper POV pic). On the ramp I changed the flasher caps to all Blue. Finally in the back box I put Blue GI bulbs under the Twilight Zone wording to give the blue halo effect. I know not everyone is into heavy LED usage but I really like the accent and highlights they can provide. Side note the rubber rings are all TITAN Competition rings I went with Purple as the main color. They match the TZ plastics perfectly!

20171003_174234 (resized).jpg20171003_174234 (resized).jpg
20171003_174257 (resized).jpg20171003_174257 (resized).jpg
20171003_174026 (resized).jpg20171003_174026 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

Beautiful machine! I noticed the blades on the sides which I’ve seen for sale, but I haven’t seen the back playfield “blade” before. Where did you get it? Love the blue halo effect on the translite!

#13 6 years ago

I shopped out and LED'ed this for a friend and he had already purchased the backboard blade. Not sure where or when he got it. The ones on the side I applied and they are from PinGraffix

#14 6 years ago

The pingraffix blades are nice! I'll keep looking for a backboard blade. Thanks!

1 month later
#15 6 years ago

I just did my machine TZ with a light kit. It came out great I'm doing my IJ next. I'm putting a link of the place I purchase them from. Good Luck
https://pinbulbz.com/shop?olsPage=t/pinball-super-led-kits&olsFocus=false&page=5

Randy

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-recent-twilight-zone-led-conversions?hl=duffysarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.