(Topic ID: 183874)

Any reason NVRAM and remote batteries can't co-exist?

By Sonic

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CactusJack
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WPC89 Clocks (resized).jpg
    IMG_1317 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1315 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1316 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1314 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1313 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1312 (resized).JPG
    STROMVERBRAUCH ASIC (resized).png
    20170321_212711 (resized).jpg
    RAM 6264.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 7 years ago

A wall wart seems impractical, almost comical in a way. Do you really want to be trusting cheapo eBay, etc wall warts, even if they're outputting regulated voltages.. to be on 24/7 and while you're away from your home. Just takes the thing to fail or go out of spec to kill your ASIC & cost you far more than your high scores.

Lithium batteries remotely mounted still seem the best choice if you need to maintain the RTC. I get it for TZ, but for many other games that don't really utilize the RTC in-game I'd not personally worry about it. Not gaining much upgrading to NVRAM and still keeping batteries connected, other than being able to change batteries out when the machine is off. IMO not worth the risk desoldering the low-power SRAM if you're using batteries.

Just had to chime in since this thread is still alive and kicking

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Do you trust the wall wart that charges you $600 cell phone?

My cell phone is like $50 and not really.

I'd definitely not trust a cell phone charger 24/7 connected to the ASIC with possibility of power surges, lightning strikes, etc. But do what you want. And if others think it's a great idea, awesome. Just my opinion that it seems ridiculously overkill and not without its own problems.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-reason-nvram-and-remote-batteries-cant-co-exist?tu=acebathound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.