(Topic ID: 183874)

Any reason NVRAM and remote batteries can't co-exist?

By Sonic

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CactusJack
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WPC89 Clocks (resized).jpg
    IMG_1317 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1315 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1316 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1314 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1313 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1312 (resized).JPG
    STROMVERBRAUCH ASIC (resized).png
    20170321_212711 (resized).jpg
    RAM 6264.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Just got my JY NVRAM'd and to preserve midnight madness, I don't see any reason I cannot keep the remote battery pack in place for time keeping? Any thoughts?

#3 7 years ago

Mitch....that's the question, I don't think it'd damage the board at all...and if not - why not keep the remote batteries to keep time for Midnight Madness mode pins....consider, if, like me - I already have the board NVRAM'd and have the remote pack in place - if it doesn't hurt the board - then why not...

#6 7 years ago

On the advice of big JohnW that it poses no problem - I tried it....and it works...so for those that have Midnight Madness pins...if you want to NVRAM - you can keep the batteries (although remote those things or indeed what is the point) and it'll keep your time...if your forget to change them - no big wup - ain't gonna do a thing if they die....

#8 7 years ago

I know...but I've had instances where the remote pack dowels popped out, one of three batteries went bad, etc. in the end lost the settings...so NVRAM...but with JunkYard - it's cool to have the time showing on the DMD and playing literally at midnight...with friends/family...so doing what I just did, I don't ever have to worry about my settings...that's forever set now - but also JY can keep accurate time/date as well...remember how folks freaked out about not NVRAM'ing midnight madness pins - well there is no point to hesitate - do it, but if you want to keep the time going - just keep the batteries....

#12 7 years ago

I'll post an update...but so far, all is well....

#19 7 years ago

Update.....just checked it - been 5 days...all is well and time was SPOT on....it's staying...I already had the batteries remoted - so why not keep it...keeps Midnight Madness on time and NVRAM takes care of everything else...

#22 7 years ago

Fired it up and it was exactly on time after 5 days...it may drift in 3 months, but hey, it'll probably be close enough....

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from alienagent:

Which WPC games do something with the real time clock?
    I know of Junkyard, Twilight zone and Scared stiff, is there anything else to add to my list?

Congo, Dirty Harry, Johnny Mnemonic, Junkyard, NBA Fastbreak, and Who Dunnit.....I am unaware of Scared Stiff having it, nor Twilight Zone....

#35 7 years ago

Or just keep your remote battery pack in-service with some Lithium batteries

#45 7 years ago

11 days with NVRAM and remote battery pack in conjunction....time/date - spot on...to the minute...fyi...

#47 7 years ago

Andrew - You're thinking too hard...I had the board NVRAM'd..then remembered JY has midnight madness - so I thought, well I already have the remote battery holder - all the way out to the coin door - with lithium batteries in it - so why not leave it to keep the clock rolling....if I lose power or the batteries go - nothing but the time is lost...in the meanwhile - time is kept and I didn't have to do anything more than what I had in place already...that's it really....figured for those that had concerns over midnight madness could double up if they felt it was needed, But make no mistake - I'm not biased one way or the other - I just wanted to see if it'd work and report it....

#52 7 years ago

The only other thing about the RTC that 'matters' is that for the choice few pins that have "Midnight Madness" - you would know that it will happen at midnight - real time (if you set your clock to begin with) - if you have friends/family over and want to mess with them - or you like playing at midnight and like to know it'll be a part of the gameplay... otherwise the Midnight Madness would be random based upon when the pin thinks the time is....theoretically making it not so much Midnight Madness, but more so Monte Carlo Madness (for those into statistics)

2 weeks later
    #63 7 years ago

26 days with NVRAM and remote battery pack in conjunction....time/date - spot on...to the minute/day...fyi...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-reason-nvram-and-remote-batteries-cant-co-exist?tu=Sonic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.