(Topic ID: 183874)

Any reason NVRAM and remote batteries can't co-exist?

By Sonic

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CactusJack
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WPC89 Clocks (resized).jpg
    IMG_1317 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1315 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1316 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1314 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1313 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1312 (resized).JPG
    STROMVERBRAUCH ASIC (resized).png
    20170321_212711 (resized).jpg
    RAM 6264.jpg
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Could someone summarize when and why the time information kept by the machine is lost when using NVRAM? Is it every time the machine is powered off?

The ASIC has a real time clock and a small amount of SRAM in it to store the time and date. The ASIC's SRAM data gets corrupted when the battery voltage drops below 2.4v. The clock also slows down when it gets close to the voltage threshold the clock time of date corrupts.

If you plug a 3-5vdc wall wart, like a phone charger, into the service outlet and then plug that into the battery connector on the MPU, the clock will continue to run when the game is turned off. If you want it to keep retaining memory for a day or two if the line cord gets disconnected, add a 1F 5.5vdc super cap.

No real harm in having the the time and date wrong unless you want the midnight madness and features like in circus voltaire where the it has the time and date high score list of people that made it to the wizard mode.

#52 7 years ago

The only other thing about the RTC that 'matters' is that for the choice few pins that have "Midnight Madness" - you would know that it will happen at midnight - real time (if you set your clock to begin with) - if you have friends/family over and want to mess with them - or you like playing at midnight and like to know it'll be a part of the gameplay... otherwise the Midnight Madness would be random based upon when the pin thinks the time is....theoretically making it not so much Midnight Madness, but more so Monte Carlo Madness (for those into statistics)

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

I installed the ram chip because I didn't want the high scores resetting every time I swapped batteries.

You can replace batteries with the game powered on, doing so will prevent any settings (including hi scores) from being lost.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I'm pro-battery, but I also make sure I check them whenever I clean/wax my playfield, so.. Apparently, noone else does this, and are at risk of losing their MPU.

I do this and prefer using lithium batteries, I just cant stand my RTC not working...and yes I realize its just a clock and you can make it not display...but it's still there and I will know its not working with the game turned off, even if no one else does.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Could someone summarize when and why the time information kept by the machine is lost when using NVRAM? Is it every time the machine is powered off?

This says it all:

WPC89 Clocks (resized).jpgWPC89 Clocks (resized).jpg

#56 7 years ago

A wall wart seems impractical, almost comical in a way. Do you really want to be trusting cheapo eBay, etc wall warts, even if they're outputting regulated voltages.. to be on 24/7 and while you're away from your home. Just takes the thing to fail or go out of spec to kill your ASIC & cost you far more than your high scores.

Lithium batteries remotely mounted still seem the best choice if you need to maintain the RTC. I get it for TZ, but for many other games that don't really utilize the RTC in-game I'd not personally worry about it. Not gaining much upgrading to NVRAM and still keeping batteries connected, other than being able to change batteries out when the machine is off. IMO not worth the risk desoldering the low-power SRAM if you're using batteries.

Just had to chime in since this thread is still alive and kicking

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

You can replace batteries with the game powered on, doing so will prevent any settings (including hi scores) from being lost.

ahhh... never thought of that. I always had the game off when replacing them. Which now would be the only benefit if I decided to still use batteries. I also installed the modded ram chip mainly just to do it, out of curiosity. I had one of the stupid traces lift off, really wish they had a protective coating on these boards back then. Other then that it came out really well.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

A wall wart seems impractical, almost comical in a way. Do you really want to be trusting cheapo eBay, etc wall warts, even if they're outputting regulated voltages.. to be on 24/7 and while you're away from your home. Just takes the thing to fail or go out of spec to kill your ASIC & cost you far more than your high scores.
    Lithium batteries remotely mounted still seem the best choice if you need to maintain the RTC. I get it for TZ, but for many other games that don't really utilize the RTC in-game I'd not personally worry about it. Not gaining much upgrading to NVRAM and still keeping batteries connected, other than being able to change batteries out when the machine is off. IMO not worth the risk desoldering the low-power SRAM if you're using batteries.
    Just had to chime in since this thread is still alive and kicking

Do you trust the wall wart that charges your $600 cell phone? 120/240vac to 5vdc have been made by the BILLION, i dont hear about many failing.

What does fail is batteries and they puke garbage.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Do you trust the wall wart that charges you $600 cell phone?

My cell phone is like $50 and not really.

I'd definitely not trust a cell phone charger 24/7 connected to the ASIC with possibility of power surges, lightning strikes, etc. But do what you want. And if others think it's a great idea, awesome. Just my opinion that it seems ridiculously overkill and not without its own problems.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Do you trust the wall wart that charges your $600 cell phone? 120/240vac to 5vdc have been made by the BILLION, i dont hear about many failing.
    What does fail is batteries and they puke garbage.

I have never had a wall wart fail, and use dozens of them at a time 24x7 for the last 30 years... guess I have been lucky.

Maybe this is an opportunity for a new feature on an NVRAM adapter... add a zener and a fast blow fuse as protection on a feed for the 5v standby.. add a two pin connector for people to add an optional feed that would then be protected on its way to the ASIC?

Every new problem is an opportunity for innovation!

Mac

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sheprd:

I have never had a wall wart fail, and use dozens of them at a time 24x7 for the last 30 years... guess I have been lucky.
    Maybe this is an opportunity for a new feature on an NVRAM adapter... add a zener and a fast blow fuse as protection on a feed for the 5v standby.. add a two pin connector for people to add an optional feed that would then be protected on its way to the ASIC?
    Mac

Just as a word of caution, the $5 chargers one can buy from eBay can have radically different actual specs, outputting wrong voltage, wrong amperage. So either test the wall wart or use an official Apple one. Probably Samsung too, I just don't know enough about their QA

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sheprd:

Mac

Yeah. I am already playing with a crowbar circuit for something like this.

The wall warts are reliable as long as you don't get crappy ones from China. Big Clive on YouTube has taken apart counterfeit China ones and they usually lack certain protection circuits or just in general cheaped on the design with less components. Everyone just leaves them plugged into the wall for years on end.

1 week later
    #63 7 years ago

26 days with NVRAM and remote battery pack in conjunction....time/date - spot on...to the minute/day...fyi...

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just as a word of caution, the $5 chargers one can buy from eBay can have radically different actual specs, outputting wrong voltage, wrong amperage. So either test the wall wart or use an official Apple one. Probably Samsung too, I just don't know enough about their QA

Shop for wall warts with the UL label. This normally indicates extensive lab testing and assembly with quality parts. Not necessarily so, with CE or CES.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-reason-nvram-and-remote-batteries-cant-co-exist/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.