4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Shredso
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

So I'm in the middle of a restore and ran across a bad coil. I found a replacement and it's kinda weak. I usually throw my coils in a ultrasonic cleaner, blow them out with air and let them sit for days to dry. Seeing this is the last issue before I put the playfield bacK in the cabinet. I was thinking, ultrasonic cleaner, blow it out then sit it in front of a hair dryer on high heat for 1/2 hr

#2 4 years ago

Wipe it off and install it.

Get a new coil on order, and install it when it arrives. Or, clean another used coil, clean it, and install it once it's had time to dry.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from tdiddy:

So I'm in the middle of a restore and ran across a bad coil. I found a replacement and it's kinda weak. I usually throw my coils in a ultrasonic cleaner, blow them out with air and let them sit for days to dry. Seeing this is the last issue before I put the playfield bacK in the cabinet. I was thinking, ultrasonic cleaner, blow it out then sit it in front of a hair dryer on high heat for 1/2 hr

That's what I do, ultrasonic cleaner, then use the air compressor with the air attachment and that seems to work great. Also replacing the coil sleeve is better than reusing the old one. Then I put the label back on with a dab of crazy glue and it's good as new.

#4 4 years ago

I ultrasonic, blow it out, soak in 99.9% alcohol, blow out, run under heat gun until windings get warm to the touch. Maybe over kilbut I have never had an issue. ::knocks on wood::

#5 4 years ago

I think people get overly nervous when talking about electricity and water. I suppose that is a good thing. The only exposed conductors on a coil should be the lugs, diodes and a small part of the wire. I would think it would have to be seriously wet to bridge those contacts. I'm more worried about rust than electrical issues.

I commonly submerge the coil in the ultrasonic, dry off with a towel and blow out thoroughly with the compressor. By the time I rebuild the assembly with my newly printed coil wrapper it's completely dry.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 64.00
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    € 22.00
    Cabinet - Other
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 210.00
    Playfields
    Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside