(Topic ID: 37292)

Any problems removing Indiana Jones mylar?

By Jedidentist

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 59 days ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Howdy folks!
So I picked up this game a couple of months ago and am planning on doing a full restoration on this baby. One thing I'm contemplating is the mylar. Supposedly it has "Day 1" mylar installed and the playfield looks nice...minor hole wear that I'll probably cover with Cliffys, but no other obvious paint wear, etc. However, the mylar is a little worn in places, so I'm considering removing it and possibly clear coating the game. I've read up on removing the mylar and it really doesn't scare me too much (I've restored 10 video games that required a lot more work). However, I was looking for advice from people who have done it on IJ. Are there any known issues with inserts or paint lifting? Would it be worth clearing it if it's going to be HUO for the forseeable future (and mild to moderate use at that)? Thanks for the advice!

Derek

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Jedidentist:

Howdy folks!
So I picked up this game a couple of months ago and am planning on doing a full restoration on this baby. One thing I'm contemplating is the mylar. Supposedly it has "Day 1" mylar installed and the playfield looks nice...minor hole wear that I'll probably cover with Cliffys, but no other obvious paint wear, etc. However, the mylar is a little worn in places, so I'm considering removing it and possibly clear coating the game. I've read up on removing the mylar and it really doesn't scare me too much (I've restored 10 video games that required a lot more work). However, I was looking for advice from people who have done it on IJ. Are there any known issues with inserts or paint lifting? Would it be worth clearing it if it's going to be HUO for the forseeable future (and mild to moderate use at that)? Thanks for the advice!
Derek

Not sure about a full playfield mylar, but I removed the mylar covering the pop area...the couple inserts in front of the captive ball had no issues with any art lifting. It went well. You should be fine if you take your time. Don't rush anything.

#3 8 years ago

Good to know...thanks. I'm thinking of keeping the mylar around the pop area and just polishing/buffing/Novusing it. I really want to do the main playfield area to really bring out the colors.

#4 8 years ago

To me ANYTIME you remove mylar is a risk...You never know.. many times ok SOMETIMES a problem...be prepared to CRY maybe...

#5 8 years ago

I'm sure you will get several opinions, but I will offer mine too!

I don't think there is anything that's going to be game-specific here. But like Mike said...as much as you can plan plan plan, you really never know.
Lots of people have had some success doing it, but others have managed to pull off anything from lettering to artwork. I've heard factory installed mylar can be worse than op-installed, but I don't know.
I had an F-14 that had horrible mylar bubbling and when we pulled it off, ever shred of insert lettering came up with it despite taking a ton of time. I've had another game where it came up with no problem.

Take it super slow. And just understand that you may be opening a can of worms. You need to weigh the options....leave as-is and deal with it, or pull it off and risk anything from having a fantastic playfield to needing to send it out for major work or anything in between.

Personally I like the clearcoating. While home use may not necessarily put a ton of wear and tear on it, the clear can give you a glass-smooth surface that no amount of waxing can offer up and it's going to protect that surface for years to come!

#6 8 years ago

I had a similar situation to Pimp77. Didn't have full Playfield Mylar, but did have it between the pops. Quite a big sheet. I pulled slowly and got the whole thing to come up actually very easily, without any damage at all. I put down a fresh Mylar up there and it looks great.

7 years later
#7 59 days ago

Wouldn’t there be a layer of factory clear coat over all of inserts and playfield artwork on a 93 IJ? I.e. making Mylar removal less risky.

#8 59 days ago
Quoted from brobra:

Wouldn’t there be a layer of factory clear coat over all of inserts and playfield artwork on a 93 IJ? I.e. making Mylar removal less risky.

Yes.
Freeze spray - grip it and rip it.

#9 59 days ago
Quoted from brobra:

constant spraying as you peel. insert artwork is the first to go.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fayetteville, NC
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 40.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 1,348.00
$ 254.99
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
$ 34.95
Electronics
PinSound
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Commack, NY
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 50.00
Wanted
$ 16.00
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
$ 1,248.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside