(Topic ID: 273638)

Any pro tips for a noob home owner?

By AndyHardware56

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

homer.gif
    ab80d91de22d519f26b213e35599060a6c4f089b (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hey Pinsiders!

I currently have my first pin on order. (TMNT Premium) I am just wondering if anyone can offer any tips for a noob owner. Basically looking for the big "Don't do that stupid!"s anyone can offer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#2 3 years ago

Don't buy that first machine. They tend to multiply.

#3 3 years ago

Don’t think you are married to the game. Within months you may tire of it and decide to sell / trade for something else.

Avoid the temptation to pour hundreds of dollars in mods into the game. You’ll never see that money again.

#4 3 years ago

#1 and most important for a NIB pin: It is not like buying a video game! It is a fully physical thing, and lots of stuff can move around in shipping. LOTS. Sometimes stuff breaks even. (not a lot, but don't be shocked if it ever happens).

#2 Sometimes they don't install stuff correctly at the factory! That's why pinside rules. You can post "does anybody else's so-and-so-part look like this?"

#3 Find the TMNT owner's club thread and bookmark it. Post some fun pics when you get the game, then post questions if things look wrong!

#4 Dont' get discouraged. See items #1 and #2 and remember they are normal. See item #3 and feel better when there are other experienced owners out there helping you out

#5 See #4

#6 when you get a second pin, re-read these items!

#5 3 years ago

Don’t expect everything to work perfectly right out of the box.

Don’t forget to put the balls in.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Don’t forget to put the balls in.

Clean them first.

Youtube has lots of videos on how to uncrate and set up a pin.

Learn all you can.

LTG : )

#7 3 years ago

Plan how you are going to get this thing (heavy, bulky, hard to hold on to) into its final position (first floor, basement, attic). You may need to remove handrails, doors, loose rugs and other things in the way. Watch unboxing videos. You may choose to unbox and then do the final move. Get lots of help, make sure they are able to lift a lot of weight. You will need wrenches or a socket set. Clean your balls with isopropyl alcohol (may tingle a bit). Check playfield for loose posts, ramps, parts, etc. Check under playfield for any loose wires or parts. There may be shipping blocks on playfield and underplayfield parts that need to be removed before the first game.

TL;DR Lots of help, go slow, read the instructions.

Don C.

#8 3 years ago

Download the pinguy app so you can use your phone to level/set the correct incline

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Don't buy that first machine. They tend to multiply.

^This...

Make sure you have room for the 3-4 machines you'll be acquiring in the near future.....

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from AndyHardware56:

Hey Pinsiders!
    I currently have my first pin on order. (TMNT Premium) I am just wondering if anyone can offer any tips for a noob owner. Basically looking for the big "Don't do that stupid!"s anyone can offer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Quick Run, Don't look back!

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Quick Run, Don't look back!

This.

Depending on the addiction (yes, you will become addicted more than likely), you will need to start saving loot to fund it. You'll need room too. Oh, and if you have a wife or girlfriend (or boyfriend/husband), get ready to do some explaining.

#12 3 years ago

Basically looking for the big "Don't do that stupid!"s anyone can offer would be appreciated.

The main thing is the pinball machine itself is the excitement. Try to stay away from spending hundreds of dollars on garbage to stick, glue, or screw onto it.
    And personally I would buy new balls for it and not use the factory.

#13 3 years ago

Learn how to actually use this site, aka use the search functions. It's perfectly acceptable to ask for help on here, but it goes a long way if you actually try to do some homework yourself first, and are than able to say, 'here's what I tried...'

#14 3 years ago

When the game is delivered and sitting upright on its back, don’t cut the strap holding the back box up until AFTER you get the game horizontal. Ask me how I know not to do it before!

#15 3 years ago

"Don't do that stupid!"

Don't add any goddamn figurines to the playfield that aren't easily removed.

#16 3 years ago

Im confused, I read the thread title and came to give the OP some advice on being a new home owner.

#17 3 years ago

Enjoy and congratulations on the home .

#18 3 years ago

Make sure your fridge is stocked with adult beverages.

#19 3 years ago

Don’t weld in your living room.

#20 3 years ago

Ask questions when you don't know something. Yes, you will take some shit from people here who forget that they were noobs at one time. But just ask. In fact, if you get stuck, just direct message me and I'll answer it or better, help direct you to where you can get an answer. Pinball is an awesome hobby, and now you're stuck with it

#21 3 years ago

Dont death save, that's cheating!!

#22 3 years ago

DO inspect the item for damage from the freight company before accepting the delivery. as exciting as it is to just get the game and set it up. DO NOT sign the release if there appears to be any damage to the exterior of the carton.

The item is well packaged and you should be fine.

For the driver, a nice tip & a cold drink will go a long way I'm sure as well

#23 3 years ago

Make room for more.

#24 3 years ago

Thanks everyone! I've been hearing a lot about not using the factory balls can someone point me to a good alternative? I've obviously found other balls to purchase, but I don't know what the factory balls are to avoid buying the same thing.

And as far as the multiplying machines. It took 10+ years to sell the wife on this one so I don't think I'll have that problem for awhile. Unless by some miracle having one in the house turns her to the dark side. A guy can dream right?

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from andre060:

When the game is delivered and sitting upright on its back, don’t cut the strap holding the back box up until AFTER you get the game horizontal. Ask me how I know not to do it before!

Ouch. I've watched quite a few unboxing and setup videos since I placed my order and everyone seems to have made that mistake at least once with how they all stress not cutting it.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Don_C:

Plan how you are going to get this thing (heavy, bulky, hard to hold on to) into its final position (first floor, basement, attic). You may need to remove handrails, doors, loose rugs and other things in the way. Watch unboxing videos. You may choose to unbox and then do the final move. Get lots of help, make sure they are able to lift a lot of weight. You will need wrenches or a socket set. Clean your balls with isopropyl alcohol (may tingle a bit). Check playfield for loose posts, ramps, parts, etc. Check under playfield for any loose wires or parts. There may be shipping blocks on playfield and underplayfield parts that need to be removed before the first game.
    TL;DR Lots of help, go slow, read the instructions.
    Don C.

Yeah the only part I am not looking forward to is the trip down the stairs. But thankfully we just built this house last year and I had moving larger games down into the man cave in mind. And I have a couple brother in laws that work for beer. Thanks for the tips!

#27 3 years ago

Don’t put a million mods on it. Most games are fine without mods and imo too many mods make a game look like crap. Might be a few exceptions but to me less is more.

#28 3 years ago

Wax it first and learn about cleaning it. IMO that is the most important thing to keep it in good shape.

Other than that, you can learn how to fix things when they break.

The only other thing I could mention is looking into protective pieces, such as Cliffy protectors.

Other than that, have fun it with it. Mod it if you want, change things to your liking. Thats the fun part, you can create your own little world under glass to your choosing.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Don’t put a million mods on it. Most games are fine without mods and imo too many mods make a game look like crap. Might be a few exceptions but to me less is more.

Thats just an opinion...

#30 3 years ago

I’d suggest trying different pitches with TMNT normally i have my games steep but found this one to be more enjoyable with a lesser pitch.

The bubble leveler in the shooter lane get the bubble to touch the top line and try different setups till the bubble touches the bottom line

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Thats just an opinion...

Is it?

ab80d91de22d519f26b213e35599060a6c4f089b (resized).jpgab80d91de22d519f26b213e35599060a6c4f089b (resized).jpg
    #32 3 years ago
    Quoted from no-extra-balls:

Is it?
    [quoted image]

lol hahahahhahahahha.!!

#33 3 years ago

Im confused, I read the thread title and came to give the OP some advice on being a new home owner.

My advise was going to be not to eff with the home owners association.
    I'll just show myself out now.

homer.gifhomer.gif
    #34 3 years ago

Is it?
    [quoted image]

10 out of 10 would flip again

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-pro-tips-for-a-noob-home-owner?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.