New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 41735)

Any premium for a Sample CV vs Standard? More questions too

By MinusWorlds

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by chalkup8
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey Folks,

I'm really looking at getting a CV. My question is what would you value most? HUO? A Sample version? Is the Sample more valuable than the standard? If so what tyoe of premium are we talking?

Also, what would you expect to pay for a HUO version in MINT condition? I've seen the HEP on eBay and the sample one too but I'm not interested much in either for different reasons.

I'm going to buy whichever makes the most sense for me regardless but wanted to hear some feedback.

Thanks as always.

#2 7 years ago

I always felt the sample was worth a few hundred more just because of the unique playfield. As long as whatever you buy is nice, it doesn't really matter if it's a sample, HUO or otherwise. You're probably going to pay over 6k either way if you find a nice one. Good luck.

#3 7 years ago

it all comes down to condition. Some like sample games better, some don't care. HUO looks like new inside and out, then your going to pay a premium. Sample or not. Don't think the price will be much different. CV is tricky because the samples have stickers in place of normally printed areas. Which do wear off, and get chewed up. Should have skinny ringmaster head. double flashers in the animal training area which I don't know how to spell and say crank instead of spin. Bell in the backbox. Might be worth a little more, but condition is king.

#4 7 years ago

Here's a link to sample differences.
http://www.hassellcastle.com/cvsample.htm

Kim

#5 7 years ago

Kim...awesome link!

#6 7 years ago

Yep, thanks Kim. I just want to know the ins and outs when I start the buying process. I appreciate the help. I'd like to get a nice Sample but will look at all options available.

#7 7 years ago

In most cases the sample or prototype is better then the regular production machine. CV is not one of those cases. Get a nice regular game.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Bell in the backbox.

Does the sample come with a Bell? I have a sample, but no bell.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

In most cases the sample or prototype is better then the regular production machine. CV is not one of those cases. Get a nice regular game.

Why do you say that? The decals? The ringmaster stuck ball head? I know of a sample with a clear coated PF that should solve the decal issue.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Why do you say that? The decals? The ringmaster stuck ball head? I know of a sample with a clear coated PF that should solve the decal issue.

I wondered that too. Mine of course has the decals, and I have had no problems with them. They don't seem to be wearing at all actually. I've thought about clearing mine, but was worried "that" might actually kill the value.

#11 7 years ago

Clear coat that baby Goonie!!!

#12 7 years ago

CV is such a fun game.....good luck with your search.

for what it's worth, HUO production game is the way to go.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

Does the sample come with a Bell? I have a sample, but no bell.

it may have only been the prototypes, but I thought the samples had it to. Maybe not.

As for stuck balls via skinny ringmaster. Mine didn't. Never had stuck balls. But I did some tweeks to it, to make sure it didn't. It can be done and skinny looks way better than normal.

#14 7 years ago

The skinny looks really sinister. captain you mind sharing how you tweaked?

#15 7 years ago

added a double inlane guide to that "bonus" post that is added behind the bally ho standup. Plus added a little black foam ridge along the metal spring base, where the head mounts, keeping balls from being able to rest on the metal plate and the hole ridge. If you have the face turned about 5 degrees a little to the right (facing) will keep balls from getting stuck in his face as well. Never had a problem after that.

#16 7 years ago

I hope there's a huge premium. I own a sample mm.

I seriously don't know. I had a sample TZ, didn't charge the buyer anything extra due to that fact. I know (think?) some people would?

#17 7 years ago

I just picked up a HUO CV and am curious as to what people are valuing this at these days. Its minty fresh and the previous owner has the original bill of sale (if people care about that at all). I LOVE MY CV!!!

#18 7 years ago

right now. HUO could fetch $12k. Especially if it's flawless and new looking inside and out with paperwork. No cracked backbox insert. Minimal to no insert ghosting. Yea, that could fetch 12k.

What's a Sample MM have over original besides the different color lightning on the cab?

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

previous owner has the original bill of sale

I really don't think it matters one bit where the machine has been sitting all these years if it's really nice. I sure wouldn't pay more for one than another of equal condition, just because of some paperwork.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

right now. HUO could fetch $12k. Especially if it's flawless and new looking inside and out with paperwork. No cracked backbox insert. Minimal to no insert ghosting. Yea, that could fetch 12k.
What's a Sample MM have over original besides the different color lightning on the cab?

SOLD. Ill drive it to your house mid April.

#21 7 years ago

Haha good flip corvair, captain pay up

#22 7 years ago

Actually I'd let it go for 11.5

#23 7 years ago

I wish. If I was to the point of restocking my gameroom back up. If that was a true minty HUO CV. I might come close to that if I can afford it when the time comes.

#24 7 years ago

Check out the link to my pictures:

http://s1306.beta.photobucket.com/user/drawrod1978/library/Cirqus%20Voltaire

ps - I accept cash, check, money order, credit cards and paypal... serious

#25 7 years ago

But do you accept lay-a-way

#26 7 years ago

it's fucking beautiful. Mine just shipped out like 3 weeks ago. I cannot be rebuying my games back yet. Hang on to it a year and we'll talk next year.

#27 7 years ago

actually there are 4 models.....prototype......prototype with changes.....sample game....production.....we made I think 18 protos, 200 samples and 3000 production...Jpop

#28 7 years ago

what's the difference between prototype and prototype with changes?

#29 7 years ago

JPop, do you know where any of the Protos landed?

#30 7 years ago

well I can tell you where 1 DIDN'T land for sure. So that rules out my house. that is, if the proto plays well. Not like the Tommy Prototypes where they play like crap. Sometimes the changes are way for the better.

#31 7 years ago

I own or have owned many NES and SNES proto cartridges. Some released and some unreleased. To me the proto isn't about the gameplay as much as it is the history...

#32 7 years ago

I know where 2 are....both protos with no changes....the owners are not pinheads...so they don't really get what they have...Jpop

#33 7 years ago

jpop is my hero. period.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

I know where 2 are....both protos with no changes....the owners are not pinheads...so they don't really get what they have...Jpop

PM Sent

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I'm wondering if you could explain your comment. I think the differences in artwork on the playfield alone makes Cirqus Voltaire one of the very best ever prototype/sample games.

Here are other reasons why its great. http://www.hassellcastle.com/cvsample.htm

Perhaps you could name some other prototype/sample games you think are better and most importantly explain why.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm only trying to understand. Your generalized statement with no substance backing it truly has me puzzled.

Kim

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

Check out the link to my pictures:
http://s1306.beta.photobucket.com/user/drawrod1978/library/Cirqus%20Voltaire
ps - I accept cash, check, money order, credit cards and paypal... serious

That's friggin' sweet!!

Have I mentioned lately that I want CV back in my lineup?!

#38 7 years ago

Already getting a few pinsiders lining up for it! After dialing it in today... Im blown away. Should i get the home roms ? Any other pointers for upgrading this beast?

#39 7 years ago

I love the Home Roms.

#40 7 years ago

v 10 home rom FTW

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I love the Home Roms.

A must for this game.

Kim

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's friggin' sweet!!
Have I mentioned lately that I want CV back in my lineup?!

11.5k and it could be yours...lol

#43 7 years ago

My inbox is filling up with offers on this. INSANE. I've had it less than 24 hours!

#44 7 years ago

mandelbloom,I agree, funny!! It's an entertaining thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside