Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Tektune
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Monte.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

I would agree with you IF the bad guys listened to them. But they don’t from what I see. When was the last time a police SWAT team was foiled by some criminal listing to a scanner or radio? I think those ideas are grounded in books, movies and television stories more than anything in reality. I bet there are way more hobbyists and media outlets listening than criminals.
    For the military and federal agencies that are going after high value targets, sure. The rest are just dealing with common criminals. Waste of limited funds in my opinion. And then there is all of the time, training and repairs that are far more expensive with encrypted devices. That money could be better spent on other things they are lacking.

And, you will no longer be able to do this in the future.

Quoted from LukyDuck:

I would agree with you IF the bad guys listened to them. But they don’t from what I see. When was the last time a police SWAT team was foiled by some criminal listing to a scanner or radio? I think those ideas are grounded in books, movies and television stories more than anything in reality. I bet there are way more hobbyists and media outlets listening than criminals.
    For the military and federal agencies that are going after high value targets, sure. The rest are just dealing with common criminals. Waste of limited funds in my opinion. And then there is all of the time, training and repairs that are far more expensive with encrypted devices. That money could be better spent on other things they are lacking.

And, you will no longer be able to do this in the future.

The reason for the encryption has nothing to do with hidden information. Stop with this absurd idea or secrecy. It’s a safety concern. Under the current system they can do this already by turning off the mobile in the current system, if they do not want to disseminate any information. The channels will be prudently encrypted due to people using illegal radios or lost municipal ones.

When you key into the system or talk to be obnoxious it causes the radio traffic to be increased and no one can hear anything but one individual talking. Due to this archaic system, a dispatcher can not override any open key, except in small bursts to let everyone know there is a open key.

It’s dangerous for any first responder in emergency situations where information needs to be immediate.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Monte.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-police-scanner-hobbyists-out-there?tu=Monte and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.