7D3952EE-8C28-45F7-ABE9-9D862FE7F529 (resized).jpeg
20221019_192515 (resized).jpg
20221017_191029 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20221011-201406_eBay (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20221011-201406_eBay (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
BAF7E74C-5FA3-4BF9-B4BA-6BF9BF9B7055 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4505 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#245 3 years ago

Here's a video I made of the inauguration of my miniramp two summers ago:

See if you recognize the song.

The surface is masonite and I would religiously put the tarp on when it rains. Tarps aren't completely waterproof but I'd put a beam across, tent style, so that the water doesn't pool up.
The masonite lasted 1.5 summers but next spring I'll redo the bottom probably with 1/4" plywood. The transitions are still in decent shape because the water doesn't accumulate there.

I was riding it one night thinking "this is so much fun, that's all I'd ever do" when my neighbour came to tell me the noise was driving he and his wife nuts so I had to cut down my riding time - I also can't ride it in the winter, obviously. I don't have a garage nor room to build one large enough to put a miniramp in so I've been trying to figure out how I can ride more...
Was thinking of renting a space to build one in and have it be some private club to spread the cost, but then the logistics of it seem like a little bit too much trouble.

We do have bigger pools and ramps around town, but I'm a bit of a chicken little so I like working out tricks in the miniramp at home before trying them on the bigger stuff (if I ever do).

#246 3 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

I have a couple of these custom Xenon skateboard decks available if anyone is interested. $75 plus shipping. Makes great wall art for your game room or build it up and skate it! PM me if interested![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! Is that screenprinted or stenciled?

#247 3 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Sadly, I have only skated a couple of times in the past year. My friend's ramp that I used ride regularly is gone. It had to be relocated as he was selling his house. This is a run from one of the last sessions there.

Wow! You're good! Beautiful ramp too!

#254 3 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

That was a great video, I feel bad for the girl who busted, it’s hard watching someone learn now that I’m older and dont bounce back as fast, hehe.
I still can’t figure out the song!!
I’m seriously wanting to build a mini ramp now! I need to take my boys to the skatepark, I miss it terribly

It's the Thrashin' theme song:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#258 3 years ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

I got some time this kill before going out again. Had a ingrown nail removed. . Amazing that youtube has a ton of full length skate videos.
I was big into the flip team when Sorry came out. I've watched Mindfield three times in the last two months. What are some skate videos you guys like?

I know that's not exactly the kind of stuff you're referring to, but I love Jeff Grosso's Loveletters to Skateboarding on YouTube.
The Tony Alva documentary he made is great:

Watched this on Amazon and I loved it: https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Steel-Cedar-Crest-Country/dp/B07K5BKNBF

#261 3 years ago

My daughter is getting into it - I'll get her a proper skateboard for christmas...

#274 3 years ago

I never was very good to begin with and skated between I guess 16 and 20. I'm 40 now. In the last years, I'd ride my bicycle past this 3 foot mini and each day I'd think, hey I could ride that.

So at some point a friend of mine gave me an old board and I did. I just decided, if I can rock n roll to fakie today I'll be happy, and I did. The guys said the ramp was super crappy - not smooth, not wide enough, etc. but I still had a good time.
I looked around town for another 3 ft mini and there wasn't one, so I started thinking of building one. I was thinking of a way of bringing it up to my girlfriend and I was sure she'd think I was crazy, and she said "good idea!".
So I went and bought all the material and set it on the snow (that was during the spring) until I could actually build it. I kept looking at the materials afterwards and thinking "oh man what did I get myself into". I didn't feel like building the ramp all that much, but I still did when the time came around and I love it more than anything else I own now.

I'm still not all that good nor very brave but I progress a little each time. Since I first rode that crappy ramp 2 years ago I can now do many more tricks - grinds, boardslides, stalls, etc. Next year I'd like to get disasters down, maybe tailslides.

I love this guy, taught me a lot: https://www.youtube.com/user/thebeststee

I went to Montreal this summer and I heard there was a nice mini next to the Vans Park Series pool so I figured I'd go ride it all afternoon. When I got there I saw they had removed it and all that remained was this crazy pool with 6 ft - 10ft drops if I'm not mistaken.
I wasn't game to drop it until some kid told me "if you can drop 3ft you can drop this", so I did and had a blast. So I can add that to my small increments too for this year.

The picture is not me obviously

My plan is to keep picking up a few tricks over the next few years then keep myself in shape so I can ride for as long as I can.

3 weeks later
#300 3 years ago

Just got this - didn't read the words yet, but fun to look at:
https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Skateboard-Bible-Sean-Cliver/dp/1584233273/ref=sr_1_3

1 week later
#304 3 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

Someone on FB Powell Peralta group posted a pic of this Pin.It looks like a El Dorado reskin and no info on it on ipdb.Pretty Cool![quoted image]

Awesome! That's Solar City, the 2 player version of El Dorado. Do I see a rollerblader on the PF? That would mean it's not from the olden days.

#305 3 years ago

As promised, we got my daughter a decent skateboard for christmas:

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

It’s the only pic he posted and not very good.It is a skater on a deck but I can see how it could look like a roller blader.

Right! Ok I see it. I'd be curious to know the backstory.

#313 3 years ago
Quoted from SkaterVet:

Skating the garage mini tonight. Not pinball related, but I added this beast to my office last week.
[quoted image][quoted image]

What are the dimensions? Man I so wish I could have a ramp to skate in the winter - I'm thinking up all kinds of schemes like buying an apartment building with a big garage just to build a ramp in the garage Or spending my winters in Florida - I'm in software so I could do it if it were just me, but the wife and kids aren't as mobile

#316 3 years ago
Quoted from SkaterVet:

10ft wide. 6.5ft transitions. About 8ft flat. Almost 3 ft high. Built like a tank with 3 layers. It’s a real good time year round. From pinball to skateboard ramps, my wife puts up with a lot of shenanigans.

Ok so rougly 10x24 footprint I guess. I was wondering if it was even smaller than that and if it was still fun.
I have a 12ft wide 3ft mini with 6ft transitions in the backyard so pretty close, but this is what it looks like right now. 1609419902364-1860614783 (resized).jpg1609419902364-1860614783 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#321 3 years ago

That's the spirit, brother!
Just watched this yesterday with the 60 year olds who just got back into it - inspiring!

3 weeks later
1 month later
#326 2 years ago
Quoted from Lopa:

I don’t skate but my 10 year old is pretty decent. Built him a mini ramp a couple years ago.
He’s @tiny_hawk_ on Instagram
[quoted image]

Never saw that kind of surface - what is it?

2 weeks later
#339 2 years ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

8:30 is just to early for those young rippers. Mighty lonesome out here.
[quoted image]

That's the only time I ever go to the skatepark. That or during the day on workdays.

#342 2 years ago

Not a regular Tony Hawk like some of the guys here but I filmed a little run I did this morning. I did my first rock n' roll to fakie 2 years ago so I am (slowly) progressing.

2 months later
#358 2 years ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

Hour drive for a bowl isn't bad. Just have to make time. 6:00am wake up to skate in peace.
[quoted image]

The early bird catches the worm!

1 month later
#382 2 years ago

Little family skate party I hosted 2 weeks ago:

3 weeks later
#416 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Speaking of throwing away decks. I highly recommend getting this book "Disposable" if you can't afford to collect them. I am always getting it out to reference or have on the coffee table. I can't believe how much it too has shot up in price!
[quoted image]

I'm on the couch next to my daughter who's using a big book as a support to do her drawing.

1634474098182-2047946353 (resized).jpg1634474098182-2047946353 (resized).jpg

#417 2 years ago

I've got a cool story about this book.
I have a colleague from England who's a skater - we started going to local miniramps on lunch breaks and such. At some point he told me a story about how he and some friend, many years back, went into some local distributor in England where they had a bunch of old mint Powell-Peralta boards such as Tony Hawk and stuff like that.
The owner let them grab whatever they could carry out on the cheap. My coworker's friend got 5 mint Tony Hawk's that he sold at some point to pay for tuition or something.
So when I read the book, there's a very similar story and I tell him "hey that really sounds like the story you told me". And sure enough, it is the same story and it's been written by his friend. He's even referenced in it, although not by name.

2 months later
#422 2 years ago

Doesn't replace skateboarding but still fun to pass the time outdoors.

#425 2 years ago

Nice! How does the spot thing work? I was thinking of renting some space to have a miniramp in with friends but not too sure of the logistics...

#427 2 years ago
Quoted from Baboon:

One of us has dedicated one of his garage for and we build it all together
We meet there every Thursday evening , beers , food , skateboarding and laughs

Dang. That's the life. I don't have room to build a decent garage...

3 months later
#439 2 years ago

Shoveled all weekend, sunny day, looking forward to coming home from work to skate and....

Crap...

20220411_174155 (resized).jpg20220411_174155 (resized).jpg

(Also, need to wash the windows )

5 months later
#451 1 year ago

Came across a Bally reference while reading about skateboarding.

IMG_20220918_201055800 (resized).jpgIMG_20220918_201055800 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220918_201049141 (resized).jpgIMG_20220918_201049141 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#455 1 year ago

Built this 2 foot quarter pipe last week and the kids in the street are skating it non-stop. It has wheels on the side so I can roll it back in the driveway at night.
I ordered orange cones for safety and I'm already thinking about the next module.
That my daughter and I.

IMG_4505 (resized).jpgIMG_4505 (resized).jpg

#458 1 year ago
Quoted from SkaterVet:

Hit Kona when I was in Jacksonville for business this week.
[quoted image]

Nice!
My brother in-law lives in Jacksonville and I was planning to go last time with the kids but ended up going to the Jacksonville Beach skatepark twice instead which I thought was great as well.

How did you like Kona?

4 months later
#476 1 year ago

I think this was my dream deck (I only remember it was a Bart Simpson one but can't remember it exactly)
Screenshot_20230226-145412 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230226-145412 (resized).png

But this is what I had

sa-rood (resized).jpgsa-rood (resized).jpg

Probably rode like crap but I didn't know any better and still wish I still had it.

3 weeks later
#480 1 year ago

Good times.

IMG_20230319_124225108~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20230319_124225108~2 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#481 1 year ago

Magnetic skate mech!

Uses the small balls from my Slap Shot.

IMG_20230414_215433381_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20230414_215433381_HDR (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-pinsiders-still-skate-skateboard?tu=PhilGreg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.