New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 166814)

Any Pinsiders Still Skate? (Skateboard)

By timtim

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 291 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by terrapinmark
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 138 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 8.01.23 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 8.01.37 PM (resized).png
35E654CF-7A0B-42B7-B407-10EC20B253F9 (resized).jpeg
3C79A332-7D8C-43C0-9D97-DC45F80E241A (resized).jpeg
FFD7AE3A-D6D6-4C4D-9BBB-9EC26A26A626 (resized).jpeg
CF635322-822F-442F-A9F6-6287C8AB60A2 (resized).jpeg
615697B3-8494-4AC6-A2B8-0197395BAFDB (resized).jpeg
649F0B57-15D9-4238-BFAB-48D2931E4619 (resized).jpeg
DEF05A6C-5D83-4485-A1F0-F86E1C4906EF (resized).jpeg
C6BFDBB1-3FF0-4007-B964-C9702495B3B0 (resized).jpeg
B5C8C35C-E63C-4437-992B-A45B8491D094 (resized).jpeg
2782404A-3660-430B-813E-E443E13088C1 (resized).jpeg
GEDC6249.JPG
20CD065D-A711-4F5D-A0F0-8BA85CC7D93C (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 291 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 10 days ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Just enjoying this threads new vitality.
A few boards I have collected. Some to skate, some to hang. It's great having a hobby cheaper than pinball.
Also, almost finished building the barn mini-ramp, just a two more sheets of masonite to trim and install.
All that web on the wall is from Halloween 2019
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Beautiful, You really have me wishing for an indoor space to build a mini ramp. The local skate shop has an indoor park. Everything is very close together. They are definitely making the most of their space.

Are you ordering your decks? Or using a local shop?

#252 10 days ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Don't think to take pics when we skate. But pic of my roller speed team from 1973, and no won't tell which one is me, but in the back row. And pic from 2011 with my wife at the same child hood roller rink, the night it was closing. Wearing our teenage "rink" jackets.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Met my girl at the skating rink back in the late 80’s and we still got it.

875B62B2-7316-4BDC-961C-DF155E98A6C4 (resized).jpeg
#253 10 days ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Here's a video I made of the inauguration of my miniramp two summers ago:
See if you recognize the song.
The surface is masonite and I would religiously put the tarp on when it rains. Tarps aren't completely waterproof but I'd put a beam across, tent style, so that the water doesn't pool up.
The masonite lasted 1.5 summers but next spring I'll redo the bottom probably with 1/4" plywood. The transitions are still in decent shape because the water doesn't accumulate there.
I was riding it one night thinking "this is so much fun, that's all I'd ever do" when my neighbour came to tell me the noise was driving he and his wife nuts so I had to cut down my riding time - I also can't ride it in the winter, obviously. I don't have a garage nor room to build one large enough to put a miniramp in so I've been trying to figure out how I can ride more...
Was thinking of renting a space to build one in and have it be some private club to spread the cost, but then the logistics of it seem like a little bit too much trouble.
We do have bigger pools and ramps around town, but I'm a bit of a chicken little so I like working out tricks in the miniramp at home before trying them on the bigger stuff (if I ever do).

That was a great video, I feel bad for the girl who busted, it’s hard watching someone learn now that I’m older and dont bounce back as fast, hehe.

I still can’t figure out the song!!

I’m seriously wanting to build a mini ramp now! I need to take my boys to the skatepark, I miss it terribly

#254 10 days ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

That was a great video, I feel bad for the girl who busted, it’s hard watching someone learn now that I’m older and dont bounce back as fast, hehe.
I still can’t figure out the song!!
I’m seriously wanting to build a mini ramp now! I need to take my boys to the skatepark, I miss it terribly

It's the Thrashin' theme song:

#255 10 days ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

Beautiful, You really have me wishing for an indoor space to build a mini ramp. The local skate shop has an indoor park. Everything is very close together. They are definitely making the most of their space.
Are you ordering your decks? Or using a local shop?

Got them online, Ebay, Tumyeto and CCS.

Wish I had a local shop to support. I may try and start my own thing if this covid hysteria ever fades out.

#256 10 days ago

I got some time this kill before going out again. Had a ingrown nail removed. . Amazing that youtube has a ton of full length skate videos.

I was big into the flip team when Sorry came out. I've watched Mindfield three times in the last two months. What are some skate videos you guys like?

#257 10 days ago

Not sure if someone already mentioned it, but if not check out the new documentary called Shred America.

https://www.shredamericafilm.com/

#258 10 days ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

I got some time this kill before going out again. Had a ingrown nail removed. . Amazing that youtube has a ton of full length skate videos.
I was big into the flip team when Sorry came out. I've watched Mindfield three times in the last two months. What are some skate videos you guys like?

I know that's not exactly the kind of stuff you're referring to, but I love Jeff Grosso's Loveletters to Skateboarding on YouTube.
The Tony Alva documentary he made is great:

Watched this on Amazon and I loved it: amazon.com link »

#259 10 days ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

It's the Thrashin' theme song:[quoted image]

Dang! I need to watch that movie again, I watched rad, and gleaming the cube a few months ago and totally forgot about thrashiN !

#260 10 days ago

No but I have a nice collection of OG Dogtowns

20201102_152536 (resized).jpg
#261 9 days ago

My daughter is getting into it - I'll get her a proper skateboard for christmas...

#262 9 days ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

Some of my fav skate vids

Toymachine - Welcome to Hell
Toymachine - Jump off a building
Zero - Thrill of it All
Shortys - Fullfill the Dream
Birdhouse The End
411VM (Love them all)
Transworld - Feedback
Alienworkshop - Photosynthesis

Skateboard Documentaries:

The Man who Souled the World - Steve Rocco and the World Industries saga

Waiting for Lightning - Danny Way and The Wall

All this Mayhem - Powerfull doc on Ben and Tas Pappas drama

History of Street Skating - Rightfully starts off with Natas Kaupas

We are Skateboarders - Deep look at what is to skateboard

Lakai The Final Flair - Good doc on the making of the Lakai video Fully Flaired

Video Vortex, The Love Park story.

#263 9 days ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Some of my fav skate vids
Toymachine - Welcome to Hell
Toymachine - Jump off a building
Zero - Thrill of it All
Shortys - Fullfill the Dream
Birdhouse The End
411VM (Love them all)
Transworld - Feedback
Alienworkshop - Photosynthesis
Skateboard Documentaries:
The Man who Souled the World - Steve Rocco and the World Industries saga
Waiting for Lightning - Danny Way and The Wall
All this Mayhem - Powerfull doc on Ben and Tas Pappas drama
History of Street Skating - Rightfully starts off with Natas Kaupas
We are Skateboarders - In deep look at what is to skateboard
Lakai The Final Flair - Good doc on the making of the Lakai video Fully Flaired
Video Vortex, The Love Park story.

The End is epic. Heath and Jeremy shred in that video. Does anyone want to argue about the second song? I had the version with Don't Come Around Here No More by Tom Petty.

#264 9 days ago

This was are go to, to get amped.

2CDF5CDA-591C-46E3-B71D-7CB87DC85D46 (resized).jpeg
#265 9 days ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

The End is epic. Heath and Jeremy shred in that video. Does anyone want to argue about the second song? I had the version with Don't Come Around Here No More by Tom Petty.

I have the version with Queen and David Bowie's Under Pressure. I like Tom Petty, but Under Pressure is a much better song for that killer part!

#266 9 days ago

It's how you experience it the first time. I'm in the camp of Tom Petty.

A friend sophomore year of high school had it on VHS and we watched it early Saturday morning. On a 13" vcr combo tv in his bedroom. I wanted to throw myself off everything that day. Haha

#267 9 days ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

Never knew there was a Tom Petty version.

I loved Andrew Reynolds part the most in The End. Best Frontside Flips ever.

Also forgot to add Powell - Public Domain to my list.

#268 9 days ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Never knew there was a Tom Petty version.
I loved Andrew Reynolds part the most in The End. Best Frontside Flips ever.
Also forgot to add Powell - Public Domain to my list.

Forget which video but Renolds front side flipping the Love park fountain in a leather jacket. Pure badass!

#269 9 days ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

Forget which video but Renolds front side flipping the Love park fountain in a leather jacket. Pure badass!

Might be a Baker video. I know they show it in The Love Park Story. It truley is badass.

Also want to mention Skater XL for any of you with a computer, xbox, or playstation. Great skating game that gives you a lot of control over the physics of the board. Its all just sandbox style too, no points or anything. Fun for me when the wife is away and its raining.

Here is my best Skater XL impression of Andrew Reynolds in The End
4n9knd.gif

tumblr_n5ezg9xikU1smjqubo1_400.giftumblr_mqbs2puCqf1r1mywzo1_400.gif
#270 9 days ago

Yeah, Andrew Reynolds can basically frontside flip over anything you put in front of him.

#271 9 days ago

Whatsup!! Pretty awesome to see so many fellow skaters here on pinside! I used to eat, breathe and sleep skateboarding too. Now I'm over 40 and feels like my body is more suitable for playing pinball and drinking beer I still skate a little bit now and then though, even if I'll just go out and skate a little flat on the street. But nowadays I guess pinball has become my no1 passion. But I'm still a skate nerd, I guess you can tell by my username and my avatar

Here's some of my skating from when I was half my age and weight

#272 9 days ago
Quoted from switch3:

Whatsup!! Pretty awesome to see so many fellow skaters here on pinside! I used to eat, breathe and sleep skateboarding too. Now I'm over 40 and feels like my body is more suitable for playing pinball and drinking beer I still skate a little bit now and then though, even if I'll just go out and skate a little flat on the street. But nowadays I guess pinball has become my no1 passion. But I'm still a skate nerd, I guess you can tell by my username and my avatar
Here's some of my skating from when I was half my age and weight

Good shit, amazing talent.

Pinball and beer is great. I just don't know if I want to go out like that.

#273 8 days ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Good shit, amazing talent.
Pinball and beer is great. I just don't know if I want to go out like that.

Thanks! I'm just happy I did that stuff while I could. Keep on flippin'!

#274 8 days ago

I never was very good to begin with and skated between I guess 16 and 20. I'm 40 now. In the last years, I'd ride my bicycle past this 3 foot mini and each day I'd think, hey I could ride that.

So at some point a friend of mine gave me an old board and I did. I just decided, if I can rock n roll to fakie today I'll be happy, and I did. The guys said the ramp was super crappy - not smooth, not wide enough, etc. but I still had a good time.
I looked around town for another 3 ft mini and there wasn't one, so I started thinking of building one. I was thinking of a way of bringing it up to my girlfriend and I was sure she'd think I was crazy, and she said "good idea!".
So I went and bought all the material and set it on the snow (that was during the spring) until I could actually build it. I kept looking at the materials afterwards and thinking "oh man what did I get myself into". I didn't feel like building the ramp all that much, but I still did when the time came around and I love it more than anything else I own now.

I'm still not all that good nor very brave but I progress a little each time. Since I first rode that crappy ramp 2 years ago I can now do many more tricks - grinds, boardslides, stalls, etc. Next year I'd like to get disasters down, maybe tailslides.

I love this guy, taught me a lot: https://www.youtube.com/user/thebeststee

I went to Montreal this summer and I heard there was a nice mini next to the Vans Park Series pool so I figured I'd go ride it all afternoon. When I got there I saw they had removed it and all that remained was this crazy pool with 6 ft - 10ft drops if I'm not mistaken.
I wasn't game to drop it until some kid told me "if you can drop 3ft you can drop this", so I did and had a blast. So I can add that to my small increments too for this year.

The picture is not me obviously

My plan is to keep picking up a few tricks over the next few years then keep myself in shape so I can ride for as long as I can.

#275 8 days ago

I’ve been enjoying long boarding as an alternative to fast cars/fast women for my mid life crisis

20CD065D-A711-4F5D-A0F0-8BA85CC7D93C (resized).jpeg
#276 8 days ago

Picked up a One Wheel Pint(half the price of XR) for my son to ride with me.

I’m curious of your thoughts on these vs electric skateboard. And off road capability ??

#277 5 days ago

I should start bringing the old gopro hero3 out. Had a good session at the indoor park. Landed a shove-it rock to fakie on the mini ramp. Never even attempted it before today. Took me about 60 attempts. Then got it two more times before heading home. So about 80 tries altogether.

Got an awesome sweat on. Feeling great!

#278 4 days ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

I’m curious of your thoughts on these vs electric skateboard. And off road capability ??

The One Wheel vs Electric Skateboard are really apples and oranges. The One Wheel is an engineering marvel and the self balancing gyroscope makes the board feel like an extension of your body. It is hard to explain but over time you get so comfortable riding the One Wheel it becomes an extension and allows you to anticipate changes in riding conditions and react accordingly. The electric skateboard feels just like a skateboard-just powered up. The small wheels on electric skateboards limit what you can do. You need smooth road surfaces and small bumps and rocks are not as forgiving.

The off road capabilities of the One Wheel depends on the experience of the rider. You can purchase aftermarket mods like foot holders that keep your feet locked down better for going over curbs and jumping over things. I like to ride mine in a huge public park with lush grass. I can choose the riding style with a push of the button on the app on my cell phone. I can change the setting to custom where I have input my configurations the way I like them. I pitched my nose up slightly to charge the grass faster and it is such a great feeling ripping through the fields. It really feels like snowboarding in powder and gives you that feeling in the middle of summer which is really awesome. I highly recommend a One Wheel XR or the Pint is awesome and a great bang for your buck.

-BTW my clumsy eleven year old daughter just learned how to ride the One Wheel-if she can ride it-anyone can. You are never too old.

#279 4 days ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

I’ve been enjoying long boarding as an alternative to fast cars/fast women for my mid life crisis

I’m 46 and long board almost every day when it’s nice. Love the Sector 9. My Sector 9 is my go to board. Nice ride. Enjoy and keep it going!

#280 4 days ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I’m 46 and long board almost every day when it’s nice

I longboard more than I skateboard nowadays. It actually is great exercise and I use a Kahuna Creations paddle stick when I ride. Sometimes I can get in the zone and not have to push with my feet at all, and use just my upper body-again great exercise. I ride a couple of Never Summer boards and they are smooth as butter...

GEDC6249.JPG
#281 4 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Never Summer boards

I have a few boards, but always default to my Sector 9. I’ll check out the Never Summer boards though.

#282 4 days ago
Quoted from timtim:

I skated for like ten years and stopped. But have been skating a lot lately.
I'm not too old at only 27.
anyways I was just wondering if any others out there still like riding a board?
PS.
Landed a new trick yesterday Half Cab Fingerflip

I guess I’m old because these are older than you !
Circa 1987-89.
Someone offered me $250 for the freestyle board a few years ago. Not sure if it’s rare/desirable or if he just had the same one back in the day.

2782404A-3660-430B-813E-E443E13088C1 (resized).jpegB5C8C35C-E63C-4437-992B-A45B8491D094 (resized).jpegC6BFDBB1-3FF0-4007-B964-C9702495B3B0 (resized).jpegDEF05A6C-5D83-4485-A1F0-F86E1C4906EF (resized).jpeg
#283 4 days ago

Oh man, I love those Lesters. It's the only one of my old thrashed decks that I kept. Reversed direction "ollie bolt" configuration on front truck noted

#284 4 days ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Oh man, I love those Lesters. It's the only one of my old thrashed decks that I kept. Reversed direction "ollie bolt" configuration on front truck noted

Nice attention to detail!
I wish that huge chunk wasn’t missing from the tail.
I should have kept my old thrashed decks. I had a sims flagship but it got tossed when my parents moved. I had screwed a pair of old Vans hightops onto it to create a DIY snowboard. Didn’t work too good but got me excited enough to take the plunge and buy my first snowboard in 1988-1989. It was a burton cruiser 165 if I remember correctly.

#285 4 days ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I guess I’m old because these are older than you !
Circa 1987-89.
Someone offered me $250 for the freestyle board a few years ago. Not sure if it’s rare/desirable or if he just had the same one back in the day. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I wish I had some of my old decks from back then.
Love the Rodney Mullins!!!

#286 1 day ago
Quoted from Waderade812:

I should start bringing the old gopro hero3 out. Had a good session at the indoor park. Landed a shove-it rock to fakie on the mini ramp. Never even attempted it before today. Took me about 60 attempts. Then got it two more times before heading home. So about 80 tries altogether.
Got an awesome sweat on. Feeling great!

Awesome.

#287 1 day ago
615697B3-8494-4AC6-A2B8-0197395BAFDB (resized).jpeg649F0B57-15D9-4238-BFAB-48D2931E4619 (resized).jpegCF635322-822F-442F-A9F6-6287C8AB60A2 (resized).jpeg
#288 1 day ago

Black Friday session.

3C79A332-7D8C-43C0-9D97-DC45F80E241A (resized).jpegFFD7AE3A-D6D6-4C4D-9BBB-9EC26A26A626 (resized).jpeg
#289 23 hours ago
Quoted from SkaterVet:

Black Friday session.
[quoted image][quoted image]

They are putting plans together for a concrete skatepark on our local river front. Nothing has been approved yet. But there is strong support for a new park. The old one is roached. It is that metal prefabricated skate wave product. They installed it in 03 on an old tennis court. Definitely not ment to last for almost 20 years.

Your park looks amazing. I just want to slash around that bowl.

#290 23 hours ago

Some of the best quality time with my daughter is out on the longboards. Being in Minneapolis, today may be our last good skate for a while. Good times. Good memories. Til next season!

35E654CF-7A0B-42B7-B407-10EC20B253F9 (resized).jpeg
#291 19 hours ago

The skateboard that really took it into the next level in the 1970's. The Bruce Logan Earth Ski with Bennett Trucks and Road Rider 4's. I found all of the components (New) over the years. My original is long gone! Had boards with kryptonics, sims pure juice, power paws etc etc.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 8.01.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-11-29 at 8.01.37 PM (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Cobra Amusements
$ 229.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Art of Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 259.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 149.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.00
Lighting - Led
Pinshakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 60.00
$ 47.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
There are 291 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside