(Topic ID: 179776)

Any Pinsiders own a Tesla? As an Owner, what is your opinion?

By BenetBoy78

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Atari_Daze
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tesla RT (resized).jpg
    Semi_Front_Profile.0 (resized).jpg
    3107748190_f74b93eaa1_o (resized).jpg
    3107746920_baf27b1e94_o (resized).jpg
    3107740894_e9a7658ba7_o (resized).jpg
    richard hammonds crash (resized).jpg
    IMG_9298 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9300 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9301 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9303 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9306 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9305 (resized).JPG
    imperial orchid4 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8745 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8744 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8790 (resized).JPG
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

dunno how i missed this thread! you probably saw in one of the other ones that i have a Model S P100D. (haven't regretted it for a millisecond .. so much fun to drive)

imperial orchid4 (resized).jpgimperial orchid4 (resized).jpg

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

This is my 2017 Model X 100D 5-seater black on black, trailer package, etc, I got last Friday with around 50 moving parts and 750 HP; with 500 in the rear and 250 in the front. Its not Ludicrous, but its fast enough. Very quick with the direct drive. Comfortable seating for a guy 6-2. The stereo system with Sirus Grateful Dead station is sweet. The front Window is a lot to shade in Arizona and I find myself moving the shade more than normal. The internal temp of the car is monitored and maintained at a set temp of 80F. I find the fan is going often and sucking battery juice in the process. This is the downfall of toooooo many pins and no room in the garage. Cant wait for Model P, the Pickup in 2018!!
    Time for a cool change..........

I just "upvoted" your post becasue one of your dogs is wearing shoes.

1 week later
    #53 7 years ago

The most important question is, does a widebody pinball fit in the Tesla X, or should I get another car as a hauler?

#54 7 years ago

I have a Model X, 7-seat configuration, and with the 3rd row of seats down, I highly doubt I can fit a standard OR wide body in the back and have the back "trunk" door close, due to the 2nd row seats. The pin would hang out of the back.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from RestonVA:

The most important question is, does a widebody pinball fit in the Tesla X, or should I get another car as a hauler?

We got the 5 seater. I believe, only the 5 seater configuration allows the space behind the driver and front passenger to have the seats folded all the way down providing the back internal area to be completely flat surface. A 6'-2" person can lay lengthwise for a sleep, or a pinball (will check soon with pics), or a couple dogs are planned for my Model X. I also got the trailer package and hitch able to tow 5000 lbs with my 20" wheels. So you can always tow your pins!! All emission free, self driving (way cool) and greased lightning fast!!

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

We got the 5 seater. I believe, only the 5 seater configuration allows the space behind the driver and front passenger to have the seats folded all the way down providing the back internal area to be completely flat surface. A 6'-2" person can lay lengthwise for a sleep, or a pinball (will check soon with pics), or a couple dogs are planned for my Model X. I also got the trailer package and hitch able to tow 5000 lbs with my 20" wheels. So you can always tow your pins!! All emission free, self driving (way cool) and greased lightning fast!!

Congrats on your purchase. Coming to the topic late but proud owner of a 2012 Model S, and the wife has a 2014 Model S.
    The smile never goes away!

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

A 6'-2" person can lay lengthwise for a sleep, or a pinball (will check soon with pics)

Great, I would like to see that 5 seater put to good use.

#58 6 years ago

It's not a Tesla, but after discovering how affordable they are used and test driving one and being amazed by how quiet and surprisingly spry it is, we bought a used Leaf yesterday.

One day in, I can't ever see myself buying a internal combustion car again. I'm all but certain that a Model 3 is next.

We're putting solar on our house because of how amazingly affordable that is (it goes live at the end of June) and it feels like I'll be making my own gas. I love already feeling disconnected from having to get out into the freezing cold in winter to stand and pump gas for five minutes. It's going to be a regular debate over who gets to drive this thing.

1 week later
    #59 6 years ago

Well the Arizona Sonoran Desert heat will likely be as it has in the past Summers and likely spike at the near 120F. Its been over a 100F already this year, which is not the best for banks of batteries outdoors. Gas Car batteries are good for two years... tops in the Arizona desert environment. It sucks I have to bring the Tesla in Studio G (The Garage) because it requires me to sell and relocate pinball machines from my immediate reach. Its a tight fit next to the pins, and at best a 5 point turn to back it in for an easier out with a garage door on the side of the driveway (WTF were they thinking?). Anyways the best is that no Carbon Monoxide is getting into my space from the car....SWEET!! I love my old pick-up trucks' smell of their gas and exhaust, but not as much as I did when I was young. Now exhaust and gas smells nasty...LOL.
    We are really happy with the Model X, but recognize it is not a vehicle for long unplanned trips with no patience. I will still need a carbon spewing SUV/Suburban for yearly road trips with the dogs (and family sometimes) across America.

IMG_9305 (resized).JPGIMG_9305 (resized).JPG

IMG_9306 (resized).JPGIMG_9306 (resized).JPG

IMG_9303 (resized).JPGIMG_9303 (resized).JPG

IMG_9301 (resized).JPGIMG_9301 (resized).JPG

IMG_9300 (resized).JPGIMG_9300 (resized).JPG

IMG_9298 (resized).JPGIMG_9298 (resized).JPG

4 weeks later
    #60 6 years ago

It's no Tesla bit we bought the PEHV Pacifica & you can fit 2 standard size pins in it. 33 miles all electric, then you still get over 400 miles of gas range. We used 1/8 tank in 3 weeks. We love it. I am looking at an S too though.

#61 6 years ago

still in love with my Model S. can't recommend it highly enough.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from indy5mike:

I do not own a Tesla, I have never even ridden in one but they do seem to be cool cars. I do have a question for you Tesla guys though. Recently there wa a Tesla model S involved in a deadly one car accident here in Indianapolis and the car had a terrible fire. I guess as a person uneducated in the electric vehicles I thought they would have been less likely to burn due to having no fuel. Looking at the links below I obviously was wrong! How flammable are the batteries in them?
    http://www.teslarati.com/lawsuit-alleges-tesla-death-not-happened-another-car/

Richard Hammond crashed a Rimac Concept One, electric car, and it went up in flames.
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/jeremy-clarkson-apos-genuinely-thought-124451906.html

There are the Lithium-ion batteries in laptops that have burned.
    http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/what-caused-a-laptop-battery-to-explode-and-start-a/article_7d5fdd10-b365-11e3-9a9d-0017a43b2370.html

Reports of cell phone fires...
    http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/09/16/cell-phone-battery-catches-fire-aboard-delta-air-lines-flight-to-atlanta.html

richard hammonds crash (resized).jpgrichard hammonds crash (resized).jpg

#63 6 years ago

lots of cars go up in flames when you crash them. not news.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

lots of cars go up in flames when you crash them. not news.

Yes, they do, and I had a 1972 Ford Pinto...I took prismatic letters and wrote "FLAMMABLE" across the back.

Well the general public may not expect an electric car to burn like one powered by gasoline.

R/C air planes with Li-Po batteries have gone up in flames too. From crash damage: the battery gets crushed/shorted out, the heat from the current sets the battery on fire. Also Charging at the wrong settings will cause a fire. These batteries for airplanes have 1-6 cells so charging a 2 cell pack at a 3 cell voltage or higher with start a fire from the heat generated. It is suggested that these batteries be charged out of the plane and in a clay pot. Planes homes and cars have seen fire damage from the Li-Po battteries.

2 weeks later
    #65 6 years ago

After three months of driving the Model X I am still very happy with the way it drives. The auto-pilot feature is wonderful on the highway, in particular during rush hour HOV lane. True auto-pilot. Great to be able to watch other drivers and roadside signs and businesses I never saw when "I" was driving. Backing it in the garage (Studio G) is a no exhaust smell event, other than the tire rubber VOC emissions. The Model X does ramp up the fans as some of the days this year have reached 120F. But its great that you can be sitting waiting for your kid to come out of summer school and the car interior stays cool unlike the gas engine vehicles I own. I wish the interior fan and cooling system was better for the back seats. I also wish the front tires were the same size as the back tires. That kinda sucks for long cross country trips if you want to carry a spare as I would in the trailer. I cant keep Model X under the limit as it drives like a go-cart from days past and as a result the battery depletion is faster than I appreciate and prevents the long distance, short time travel types of trips until more superchargers are available. Waiting for extra battery packs I can add on under the back seats and in the Frunk for extended mileage. Cmon Elon, make it happen now, I want to drive to Alaska and back from Phoenix.

#66 6 years ago

took my Model S P100D to Pinehurst (about 600 miles) and Deep Creek Lake (about 200 miles) recently. car was superb on both trips. couldn't be happier. to be honest, it's silly, but my favorite aspect is still the ludicrous acceleration. a WRX STI was in front of me revving his engine and he took off at a stoplight. i don't think he knew i was behind him. after he took off, i silently pulled into the adjacent lane and blew right by him like was standing still. his eyes were dinner plates, haha.

coming in second is the user interface -- i still believe Tesla is the only car company to do a touchscreen correctly.

#67 6 years ago

My wife has a 2016 Platinum Escalade. The Tesla screen and back up camera are un parallel, unmatched compared to her Caddy. Hands down!! I am taking my summer road trip in the Escalade, but wish I was taking the Model X. The Model X drives so much different than the Escalade. Don't get me wrong the Escalade is awesome, but I prefer the Model X to drive. Agree with you about blowing by folks in the battery operated speedster. Something about that that makes one smile....not to mention no carbon monoxide emissions!!!
    Cant wait for the Model P, pick up truck!!

3 months later
    #68 6 years ago

I am *this* close to buying a Model S. I plan on getting the Premium Upgrades Package, Enhanced Autopilot, Full Self-Driving and rear facing seats (I have 5 kids so need the 7 seats). Currently there are only 3 models available: 75D, 100D and P100D. The P100D is the only one that you can get the ludicrous speed upgrade (which comes standard on it).

I have considered getting the P100D as having that speed would be pretty awesome but I am not sure I can justify another $60K just for that. I could upgrade my wife's 2012 Escalade to a new one for that.

I also don't see the extra 60 mile range from upgrading from the 75D to the 100D as being worth it so I'll probably get the 75D with the above mentioned upgrades.

Anyone want to talk me out of that?

#69 6 years ago

I have the P100D and while it is hard to justify by any logical argument ... I have not regretted it for a microsecond. It's unbelievable and I love it. A year later it still has me grinning ear to ear.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I have the P100D and while it is hard to justify by any logical argument ... I have not regretted it for a microsecond. It's unbelievable and I love it. A year later it still has me grinning ear to ear.

I have never driven one with ludicrous speed but even the standard is neck-wrenching, nausea-inducing fun!

#71 6 years ago

I ordered a 75D with all the bells and whistles! I would like the P100D but I'm not rich enough for $56k to not matter. Maybe my second Tesla will be the top of the line model.

#72 6 years ago

Congrats! You will love it.

#73 6 years ago

FYI I have the 26th Tesla Roadster ever made, I picked it up in October, 2008. I'm using the same, original battery. I still get 170-180 mile range (same as when I purchased it). I've put over 60k miles on it, drive it every day, and have had no service issues.

The only thing that happened was the "switch pack" had some bad soldering joints and had to be reflowed a couple times in the early years.

Tesla has been responsive to my needs as a customer despite there only being about 2-3k of these made. Can't really complain. I never got an S or an X because I didn't need one. I may get a Model 3. We'll see. I'm getting older and I'm a little tall for the Roadster as a daily driver.

3107748190_f74b93eaa1_o (resized).jpg3107748190_f74b93eaa1_o (resized).jpg
    3107746920_baf27b1e94_o (resized).jpg3107746920_baf27b1e94_o (resized).jpg
    3107740894_e9a7658ba7_o (resized).jpg3107740894_e9a7658ba7_o (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #74 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinsideuser:

1976 GTO? I think your best friend was Gas station attendant ...
    If it comforts you, your 1976 GTO has a commonality with the model X. Just think of falcon wing doors. Your next thought will presumably be the DeLorean DMC-12, right? John DeLorean has also designed your 1976 GTO. (Old news for you)
    So I turn off the teacher mode …
    Your knee will have peace. New problems come, think about your head. With 2.4 sec from 0-60 your head will probably be the tilt mechanism - Plump Bop ... When I drove a P85D, my slam switch almost triggered…
    The 100 is 1 Second faster
    A.K

Pontiac GTO ended production in 1974. And in that year Pontiac used the Ventura body shell ( Nova-Omega-Apollo were the sister cars)

#75 6 years ago

I'm assuming I'm not the only one who saw the presentation of the new Tesla Roadster. It looks absolutely fantastic and has amazing performance numbers (1.9s 0-60, 620 mile range). I'm pretty sure one of these will be headed to my garage in a few years!

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I'm assuming I'm not the only one who saw the presentation of the new Tesla Roadster. It looks absolutely fantastic and has amazing performance numbers (1.9s 0-60, 620 mile range). I'm pretty sure one of these will be headed to my garage in a few years!

if they can pull off the numbers stated in that presentation, every other exotic car maker should be shaking in their boots. a production car that does the quarter mile in 8.7 seconds, and costs $250,000? for comparison ... the Bugatti Chiron does the quarter about a second and a half slower, and it costs $3 million. add on 620 mile range, and a top speed in excess of 250mph? man, that would be revolutionary, and would make most million-dollar supercars obsolete over night. i know $250k sounds more like a mortgage than a car pricetag to most people, but it's a stone cold steal for the performance numbers they're talking about.

i know Porsche and Lamborghini and the other players are all trying to play catch up for real now, but none of them have a gigafactory, and none of them have a charging network. and none of them have the data and experience that Tesla has spent the last decade building up, either.

#77 6 years ago

"Tesla’s Semi is off to a promising start, despite there being no official pricing information available yet: In addition to a Walmart pilot, Canadian grocery giant Loblaw is purchasing 25 of the heavy duty all-electric transport trucks (via Canadian Press), with a $5,000 deposit for each upfront even though pricing is TBD for the vehicle, which is supposed to start shipping in 2019..."

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/16/16667366/tesla-semi-truck-announced-price-release-date-electric-self-driving

"When Musk launched the Model 3 in July, the company was anticipating a production rate of 20,000 cars a month by the end of December. In the last quarter, though, Tesla produced only 260 Model 3s — about three cars a day."

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/18/16671478/tesla-semi-truck-roadster-2017-model-3-production

HOW can TESLA, the Electric car company biuld cars when they can't even make batteries?

Semi_Front_Profile.0 (resized).jpgSemi_Front_Profile.0 (resized).jpg

#78 6 years ago

They make hundreds of thousands of batteries a year for their Model X and Model S vehicles. They’ll get there.

#79 6 years ago

" They’ll get there." but when

Please tell me how many X and S cars were produced this year. From the BOTTLENECK at the Gigafactory, I read those production lines output have been reduced to fix the Gigafactory. And then a top engineer from the battery plant has left to start his own venture. Preformance Claims of the new roadster and semi tractor have yet to be proven. Nor a price has been set. And those claims seem to increase with each press release.

What is next from Tesla a flying car?

Looks, to me, like Tesla is taking all the PREORDER money and spending it on prototypes. Losses are mounting, not nearly as bad as Skit-B

For My money I will sit back and wait. For a Car with a 400+ mile range and recharge time under 10 minutes. And some form of dealership network to support these cars. The go buy one off the internet or go to a showroom in a shopping mall with 1 car or a stack brochures in the room. Cars do break or get damaged. So where do you go to get them fixed? On the internet?????

I know you have a Telsa S not sure of the exact model. can you tell me how many cycles are on the battery pack and do you still have full capacity?

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

can you tell me how many cycles are on the battery pack and do you still have full capacity?

My roadster is now nine years old. It's traveled over 50k miles. It's on it's original battery pack. When I got it, range was 172 miles in standard mode, 205 in extended. Now, my range is 168 miles in standard mode, 190 in extended.

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

" They’ll get there." but when
    Please tell me how many X and S cars were produced this year. From the BOTTLENECK at the Gigafactory, I read those production lines output have been reduced to fix the Gigafactory. And then a top engineer from the battery plant has left to start his own venture. Preformance Claims of the new roadster and semi tractor have yet to be proven. Nor a price has been set. And those claims seem to increase with each press release.
    What is next from Tesla a flying car?
    Looks, to me, like Tesla is taking all the PREORDER money and spending it on prototypes. Losses are mounting, not nearly as bad as Skit-B
    For My money I will sit back and wait. For a Car with a 400+ mile range and recharge time under 10 minutes. And some form of dealership network to support these cars. The go buy one off the internet or go to a showroom in a shopping mall with 1 car or a stack brochures in the room. Cars do break or get damaged. So where do you go to get them fixed? On the internet?????
    I know you have a Telsa S not sure of the exact model. can you tell me how many cycles are on the battery pack and do you still have full capacity?

My P100D was delivered less than a month after ordering. It has had zero problems over the last year. Battery capacity is still 100% but that’s not surprising. There are Teslas with literally 500,000 miles that still have over 80% of their battery capacity. Lots of cars over 200,000 miles still have over 90% max capacity. Look it up. Those are facts. Of course most car owners never see 200k miles let alone half a million.

#82 6 years ago

'17 Model S 100D, so far, awesome.

#83 6 years ago

We’re on our third S and second X (damn upgrades). We also have a volt and 10kW of solar. Playing pinball via sunlight

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from andrewket:

We’re on our third S and second X (damn upgrades). We also have a volt and 10kW of solar. Playing pinball via sunlight

what happened to the first two S ? did you have to send them back, trade in trade up?
    Or was more like replacing a gen 5 corvette with the gen 6, then the gen 7...getting a new car and more HP each time???

4 months later
    #85 6 years ago

Prototype 3 RT has a 6.2L supercharged V8 motor and sidepipes...batteries not included

tesla RT (resized).jpgtesla RT (resized).jpg

2 years later
    #87 3 years ago

Tesla owners, did you know your car had these features from the cameras?
    My question is, so are the always filming like a black box?

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Tesla owners, did you know your car had these features from the cameras?
    My question is, so are the always filming like a black box?

I think they are always filming and triggered also when it detects motion or when your driving your car and honk your horn.

#89 3 years ago

I think it's cool and creepy at the same time. In this aspect, certainly very cool!

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-pinsiders-own-a-tesla-as-an-owner-what-is-your-opinion/page/2?hl=acaciolo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.