(Topic ID: 77484)

Any pins utilize a kickback on the right outlane?

By Blackbeard

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hmm.. Can't recall ever seeing one.

Might be cool to have one of both sides.

#2 10 years ago

maybe the ball trough / shooter lane machinery tends to get in the way of where a right-side kickback would go.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

maybe the ball trough / shooter lane machinery tends to get in the way of where a right-side kickback would go

You saved me from typing that... thank you sir.

#4 10 years ago

Oh come on. It's totally possible to design a pin with a right outhole kickback!

#5 10 years ago

of course, where is it written that you have to have a shooter lane? weren't there some pins that would launch the ball onto the table from a spot between the two flippers?

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

of course, where is it written that you have to have a shooter lane? weren't there some pins that would launch the ball onto the table from a spot between the two flippers?

Where is it written the primary shooter lane must be on the right, secondaries have been on the left. no reason the primary couldn't be left.

Spectrum does a center launch.

#7 10 years ago

When you think about it, the designers of pinball machines aren't too creative. The basic layout is always the same.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Twin Win shoots the ball up from between the flippers

#9 10 years ago

So does Baby PacMan, and I assume Granny and the Gators too.

#10 10 years ago

Big Hit and Pro Football also also use center plunger but they are older EMs.
    RBION locks balls in the right side next to shooter lane but is not the right outlane

#11 10 years ago

This seems like an appropriate place to mention how awesome the right outlane is on Starship Troopers! The outlane serves as part of the shooter lane thanks to a one way gate in the bottom arch. It's such a brilliant design, as it makes the playfield feel like a widebody. I'm not sure if there are any other games that use a similar design, but I don't know of any and I wish there were more!

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4341&picno=21889

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

This seems like an appropriate place to mention how awesome the right outlane is on Starship Troopers!
    http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4341&picno=21889

Careful on the plunge

I really like the way Space Shuttle had the gate on the right side to devert to the inlane once and then you had to lght it again. (Other games also have this). Would be cool to see that comeback too

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2260&picno=15271

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Careful on the plunge
    I really like the way Space Shuttle had the gate on the right side to devert to the inlane once and then you had to lght it again. (Other games also have this). Would be cool to see that comeback too
    http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2260&picno=15271

that's a good example. that gate performs pretty much the same function as a kickback -- saves you once, until you light it again.

#14 10 years ago

I was watching the PAPA road show (episode 1)the other day and saw them mention a manual kick back that you would control with an extra flipper button on the cabinet....that would also be sweet if revived

#15 10 years ago

i love the manual lane savers on Dungeons & Dragons.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I was watching the PAPA Road Show (episode 1)the other day and saw them mention a manual kick back that you would control with an extra flipper button on the cabinet....that would also be sweet if revived

Gottlieb Volcano had this on the left outlane! Very fun and hard to remember.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

When you think about it, the designers of pinball machines aren't too creative. The basic layout is always the same.

It's called the 'Italian bottom' style layout, and designers that deviates from it in most modern machines faces criticism for 'gimmicky' layout. Fellows like Nordman and Trudeau have probably been the most adventurous, but few games with weird lower layouts make most peoples top machines. Trudeau did this new Mustang machine - im interested to see if there's anything with his unique touch in the lower layout of the machine.

Players decided a long time ago that two flippers, 2-4 inlanes, and outlanes are the safest bet for a machine. Anything deviating from this is a flash in the pan these days - WoF is probably the most modern machine with a tweak on this layout and it just doesn't stick in most peoples mind as 'better' just different.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-pins-utilize-a-kickback-on-the-right-outlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.