(Topic ID: 92405)

Any pinball repair guys coming to Hawaii soon???

By Kahanaohana

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Howzit guys, i got my first pinball machine. cftbl it has a few issues. Any repair guys coming to Hawaii anytime soon? I have a proposition if so, win/win. email me. [email protected]. thanks
    or if you know of a repair guy in hawaii please let me know.

#2 9 years ago

Which island?

#3 9 years ago

#4 9 years ago

im on kauai, but i have a vacation rental guest house here. maybe i can pay for your interisland flight and you can stay for free, in exchange do some maintenance to my machine...

#5 9 years ago

I'm there, please forward my ticket to...

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kahanaohana:

im on kauai, but i have a vacation rental guest house here. maybe i can pay for your interisland flight and you can stay for free, in exchange do some maintenance to my machine...

Sorry. But to clarify.. Is the machine on Kauai or the big island of Hawaii? If the big isle, Kona or Hilo side?

#7 9 years ago

Wow thats a heck of a offer hope you get it fixed bud

#8 9 years ago

me and machine are on kauai.

#9 9 years ago

If you are supplying airfare, I'll fix anything you've got (pinballs, arcade games, computers, CNC, tube amplifiers....).

#10 9 years ago

im coming in October, besides the point I'm interested in your rental

#11 9 years ago

Yea me and my lady are coming out and would possibly be interested in you rental and could help with your machine

#12 9 years ago

www.vrbo.com/248607 I'll probably have it fixed by then but email me, ill hook you up, you guys have helped me a lot with advice. we'll go kayak fish for ono's.

fell free to chime in:
    problem#1 slide hole isnt recognizing ball, so it sits there for 15 seconds and machine does ball locate and kicks it out. Opto seems to be good.

problem #2 During game at any time the machine will shut down completely, no power. It seems to do this sometimes when I hit both flippers, but not always, sometimes it just does it. (maybe related, when I do Test T.10 and hit enter, the whole machine powers off the same way)

#13 9 years ago

A guy flew me once to Hawaii to fix his games. it was really nice and i would certainly do it again. wrote an article about it in the Pingame Journal.

#14 9 years ago

There's a guy named Troy that lives in Hawaii and is a great Pin Tech. He volunteers at the Pinball Hall of Fame for a month or 2 every summer so I'm not sure if he is home or stateside.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kahanaohana:

problem#1 slide hole isnt recognizing ball, so it sits there for 15 seconds and machine does ball locate and kicks it out. Opto seems to be good.

this still sounds like an opto problem to me. if the ball isn't being kicked out automatically, then the opto isn't recognizing that the ball is sitting there. the ball search is merely firing off all of the coils in an attempt to "find" the ball.

here's a checklist that you can run through for your optos:
    - clean the opto LED's with alcohol (dirty LEDs can interfere with being able to detect that the "light path" has been broken
    - check to ensure that the wires leading to the opto's have a good connection (test with continuity on a multi-meter).
    - check to ensure that you're receiving 12v to the opto boards (test with multi-meter)

to test the opto's in switch test mode:
    - take a digital camera or cell phone camera and point it towards the emitter half of the opto (clear colored LED) and see if the emitters are glowing like the sun through the camera display. If they aren't, your emitter isn't working

if the emitter isn't working, you can still check the receiver side. take a regular flashlight and shine it toward the receiver of the opto (black colored LED) and then block the light and see if the switch works. if the switch works using the flashlight beam, your receiver opto is ok, otherwise it's not working.

#16 9 years ago

I see light coming out of both optos I looked at (the one that kicks ball out immediately and the one that takes 15 seconds) so without and fix it equipment, I unscrewed both optos and swapped them. The problem remained, the same hole will not kick out the ball, and the good hole fires off. Does this mean both optos are good?

#17 9 years ago

If you haven't looked at pinwiki there are some good tips there and look at section 8 for your problem #2 http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kahanaohana:

I see light coming out of both optos I looked at

There is problem number one. One is a transmitter and one is a receiver. So both sides don't put out light. And you can't swap them.

Unlike new Stern games where the optos both glow red and are interchangeable.

LTG : )™

#19 9 years ago

Sorry i wasnt clear, when i say swapped, i swapped both receiver and transmitter with receiver and transmitter of a working kick out hole, meaning I unplugged one whole working unit (its looked like a "Y" with white housing one side and black housing on other. So now the hole that wasnt kicking out has a different trans/receiver in it and it still didnt register. thoughts?

#20 9 years ago

Here's the only problem with a repair guy coming out there: If he determines you need parts, you'll have to order them. By the time the parts get there, the guy may be off island already. This is one of the things I don't like about Kauai. Although I have a timeshare there (at the Pono Kai by your house!), I always think how tough it is to get service or parts just like what you're going through.

I think you're doing the right thing by trying to troubleshoot it yourself. Don't give up. If this had happened while I was there last week, I'd be over in an instant. (I consider the people on that island ohana!). Wish I could help more from here, but I'm not familiar with that machine. Don't give up!

Just a thought: Maybe a video of the symptoms and what you're seeing would help people to help you...next best thing to us actually being there! (Or maybe I'm just an idiot...)

#21 9 years ago

Measure voltage to them on each side, see if it matches others in your game.

And optos are part of your switch matrix, a broken wire on a switch before it kills switches after it, opto or micro mini or stand up.

LTG : )™

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from shakenbake:

There's a guy named Troy that lives in Hawaii and is a great Pin Tech. He volunteers at the Pinball Hall of Fame for a month or 2 every summer so I'm not sure if he is home or stateside.

Troy sold his Hawaii property and moved back to Michigan just this month.

#23 9 years ago

Well my offer still stands, if any of you repair guys plan to come o Kauai, contact me. Im sure my machine can always use some maintenance.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-pinball-repair-guys-coming-to-hawaii-soon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.