(Topic ID: 83945)

any out here have a fan-tas-tic stories?

By lladnip

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lladnip.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

kind of a strange pin actually, wacky scoring, dayglow color, hidden pasages behind the flippers, and a center drain bumper that can auto play for you while you grab a soda from the fridge.

had a fairly large production run for its time and yet i never hear much of it? was just curious as to if anyone had anything to say about it?

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

I picked one up a few years ago that was a squirrels home. There was about 2" of pecan shells in the bottom of the cabinet, tons of broken wires and no backglass. That game helped a few others survive.

some funny stuff there, them squirrels love them nuts- was it in a barn or something? seen some interesting pack rat middens- they can collect some stuff! thank goodness it was not in a pin.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I played this game on location many years ago at a local bar which was literally a hole in the wall. It was a small bar that was carved out of a rocky ledge at the intersection of two state highways. They widened the intersection, and the place is long gone. So anyway, they had this game there. I remember it being lots of fun especially when a bunch of half-drunk adolescents played on all four players. Many of this vintage Williams multi-player games lend themselves well to this type of environment. Lots of action and a great machine for competitive play. The roulette wheel is a cool feature. There were several games with this type of built in roulette wheel. Williams "A Go Go" comes to mind.

well, its not been real high on the quest list i guess, but ive always been interested in a pop in the drain sort of pin. its not that i despise spanish eye- its ok i guess, but im not real keen on the art either maybe when see one in real life it might grow on me....

anyways- found this title a week or so back and thought lets give it a whirl so to speak,,, fun game, a little nuts, the roulette wheel has a max the bonus catch for the captive ball- have not exactly seen anything like that....

the drain pop- is pretty cool, funny watching the ball enter side a, do about 15 pops- jump the drain and come out the side b and set on the flipper is pretty funny....

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

One of the first games I ever played as a kid. Located at Zody's Department store on Topanga in Canoga Park, CA. Sat in between a King Kool and a Spin Out if I remember correctly.
Many years later, I purchased all the remaining stock of Pachinko Palace in Anahiem. Part of the deal, were a number of Bodies (no heads). Years earlier, I had purchased a NOS FAN-TAS-TIC Backglass at the closure of Circle International (the local WMS dealer). In that era, the layout of the head was typically very close (if not an exact match) from game to game. I had a thrashed Jubilee which I junked the body but save the head. I Frankenstien-ed a complete fantastic with the parts. I only had to add a single wire from the head jones plugs to make it 100% functional. No other changes were need (except, of course, the side art).

great story- glad to hear the stars all alined with all the parts!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Got it. Love it. That lower pop is reallllly fun. I never get tired of this one. It can humble the best player and make a newb look like a champ. Johnnypinball, riot is the perfect word for this one. Plus it has those great clangy Williams EM "chimes."

yes, the lower pop was the whole thing that drew me in, -not to common thats for sure.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Cyanide_4C:

Hi,
I got 2 of them actually, i bought one in fairly good shape (non working at the time) a few years ago and i got a second one a few months later from a friend (cabinet really bad & broken backglass, but inner workings in very good shape). since 3 months an ongoing restoration project, one is playable, but with some issues. The second one i keep in one piece, but for spare parts, in case off. The whole family loves it very much.

lol- 2of them- so funny- i would give you 2 thumbs up if i could!

ya i just got fresh rubber on it, applied some novus and did a few coats of wax, getting ready to fire it up soon as i get the plastics refastened.

i will put up some pics when i get a little extra time, smalls probs i had with this one is a lose flipper bushing, that gave a drag issue, holes are partionally striped, had a cracked flipper , one of the yellow decorative acorn nuts has been replaced with a white nylon acorn.... was missing one burried post under a top left plastic, the the playfeild has an mounting mark so it had one at one time......

4 months later
#20 9 years ago
Quoted from SoCalPlayer:

I purchased my Fan-Tas-Tic last weekend in Albuquerque, NM. Drove 1100 miles each way to get it and brought my 19 year old son along to spell off on the driving as well as lifting it into the minivan. A great adventure we will remember for years to come.
Why go so far for such an old pinball machine? I played it back in 1974-1976 in Cedar Rapids Iowa in a little arcade each Sunday afternoon (after lunch with my family). I was in Junior High in a place and time very different for a California kid. It was an amazing machine in that unlike the others I was able to really get my quarter's worth. Finally, after all these years I convinced my wife that I needed a new hobby. She thinks I'm nuts. Through the ipdb.org database I tracked down the name of the machine and then over the past several months I searched for one. Finally through Craigslist I tracked this one down. After all these years it was like meeting an old friend. It is in playable but rough shape. Restoring it is going to be marathon not a sprint.
Many of the stepper units need cleaning (and probably more), the flippers need a rebuild, it only plays in single player mode, the bonus stepper does not consistently count up, the playfield has been touched up extensively but not professionally, and on, and on. Even so, it has brought back so many good memories.
I will be posting on the appropriate forums here at PinSide for advice on what to and what not to do regarding restoring this machine. I want to do all I can to preserve it in as original condition as possible. Any advice you all may have, resources that have helped you that you can point me to, or problems you have overcome with your Fan-Tas-Tic, I would really appreciate. EM does not scare me, but the hours it looks like I am going to have to put into this machine does. Not re-inventing the wheel is always the best way to go.

seen that listing i think, enjoy the game but did not think i need two? lol

anyways how dose it look? put up some pics any time, btw congrats on the score

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from atpcfiaim:

Used to play this one in So Cal at an arcade on Devonshire and Balboa Blvd. My
sisters' favorite game. Picked up FTT along with a Travel Time for $200 a piece. Ended up donating both of them to a children's group home here in Seattle.

my sis loves the game too, nice to donate it, i think it is a great kids game, nephews & nieces love it and with the crazy scoring they win some games from time to time, a little embarassing getting beat for a 8 year old, lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement
Plastics
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lladnip.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-out-here-have-a-fan-tas-tic-stories?tu=lladnip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.