(Topic ID: 261854)

Any other Survivor fans out there?

By gweempose

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1822 (resized).jpeg
    306FC10C-9F05-483C-82FA-F781C6FBC71A (resized).png
    3F6B24FC-6ED0-478A-BE4F-E9E36FFDCE66 (resized).png
    3CF0283C-3E16-4570-8280-E8CA73CE7B05 (resized).png
    285 (resized).jpg
    survivor-41-cast-photos-Shantel-Smith.jpg
    survivor-41-cast-photos-Erika-Casupanan.jpg
    survivor-41-cast-photos.jpg
    530A89E7-F45E-4EEA-9F18-EEFA606627FC (resized).jpeg
    B01ADDFB-3373-432D-9DED-E43C03F3F83C (resized).jpeg
    FB_IMG_1581689918532 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1581689955204 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1581689942533 (resized).jpg
    anyone.gif
    There are 741 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.
    #1 4 years ago

Tonight marks the start of Season 40, where 20 previous winners will compete for a $2 million prize. I honestly have never been this excited for a TV show before.

*Discussion of the current season and all previous seasons is allowed, but please do not post any boot order spoilers.*

#2 4 years ago

Seconded!

#3 4 years ago

Michele Fitzgerald all the way!
    Enjoy the show!

#4 4 years ago

I think I watched the first 17 seasons.

I watch very little TV, but was on watch survivor from the start. I am not sure why, but I got burnt out and it felt too produced and I quit.
    I saw this was a classic and thought about picking it back up.

#5 4 years ago

I hate hidden immunity idols.

#6 4 years ago

I’m a fan

#7 4 years ago

I miss the auctions and the eat gross food challenges.

#8 4 years ago

I'm a fan buuut I'm a little hesitant after what transpired last season. CBS has learned from their mistakes but it should have been taken care of immediately and they have openly acknowledged this but should have done it the night that infamous episode aired.

#9 4 years ago

The show in not at all like it used to be. Stopped watching a few seasons back. Just seemed like the same old stuff and then always bringing back previous winners didnt make any since to me.

Sorry just my opinion.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I'm a fan buuut I'm a little hesitant after what transpired last season. CBS has learned from their mistakes but it should have been taken care of immediately and they have openly acknowledged this but should have done it the night that infamous episode aired.

what happened?

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

what happened?

I think he is talking about the me2 episode. Gotten to politicical too.

#12 4 years ago

A contestant got to friendly with the opposite sex. It's the one show my wife and I both watch. The last few seasons were just ok.

I thought the one season where the eventual winner was out with others on a island and got back in the game at the end and won was kind of weak.

#13 4 years ago

I have watched "Survivor" since day one. However, I have fallen out of love with the show. I don't watch it as religiously as I used to. Somehow it lost its luster and its way. I wish they would have a "return to basics" season where it's much more like it was in seasons one and two. Having said that, however, I WILL be watching this season. I always love watching when former contestants return; previous winners makes it even more exciting.

#14 4 years ago

This is what I thought of first

#15 4 years ago

Yeah last season there was a guy who sorta was a bit racist phobic and another women who was #metoo focused. Essentially the stuff we face as a society now entered into the show and while I hate politics, it had to happen. I mean it's not uncommon to see on the show people spooning next to other random people and it's the 5th day. It's something that was bound to happen and CBS didn't address it for ratings and it blew up in their face. Frankly I'm surprised there hasn't been actual fist fights on the show ever.

What had happened was there was a casting agent from NY (ironic right) that was getting too touchy with female castmates. He would put his hand on another contestant, at night get feely, etc. Eventually a contestant complained to the network and they talked to the contestant about it apparently multiple times. What transpired was an older female contestant was like "yeah this guy is a creep, is a powerful player, it's a win-win let's get him out". What happened was some female contestants allowing themselves to be abused by saying they didn't feel uncomfortable and some guys burying their heads in the sand. This made the whisteblower get voted out THAT night and made the sole older contestant look like a bad actor by following her friend to stop the abuse. To make it even worse was CBS didn't acknowledge it immediately, Jeff Probst said basically "we listened to her, followed our protocol and are still looking into the situation".

What happened to this guy was he apparently messed with the wrong person by touching a female camera person reportedly and he was lucky he could wipe his ass by not having his fingers broken. Instead he was immediately ejected from the game, not put on the jury, not invited to the reunion show, and the reunion show was a delayed live broadcast. The damage was already done though and CBS has since done a lot of things to win back viewers along with changing their policies on Survivor but also Big Brother, etc.

#16 4 years ago

Fav show on tv. Dont ever care who wins, just fun, mind numbing entertainment.

#17 4 years ago

It's one of the few shows we watch as a family.

Quoted from Whysnow:

what happened?

Basically, a male contestants, Dan, kept touching a female contestant, Kim, after she told him to not to touch her. I didn't view the touching as overtly sexual, but if someone tells you not to touch them...don't touch them. Some of the other contestants seemed to play into this for gameplay, which is where it became a bit more complicated. Some other female contestants were saying they also experienced unwanted touching. It's still unclear to me how much of that was true versus gameplay. Anyway, the producers stepped in telling them that if they had any issues they should report it to them. Then several weeks later Dan was abruptly removed from the game. Allegedly, he touched the thigh of a female producer while getting onto a transport boat.

I'm not sure the producers could have made all fans happy. Some think by openly talking about the issue, it's "to[o] political", others feel like the producers didn't do enough. I've already eluded to my feelings, but I'll repeat them anyway. If someone tells you not to touch them and you continue to touch them, I support anyone stepping in to help end the unwanted touching. I don't understand how that has become a political issue?

Quoted from hool10:

it should have been taken care of immediately

Quoted from timab2000:

Gotten to politicical too.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I think he is talking about the me2 episode. Gotten to politicical too.

And scripted...

#19 4 years ago

Never missed a season. Great show.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

And scripted...

All reality tv is. Pawn stars, if you watch early episodes, has relatives of Rick's restoration and guitar place , and counts customs employees selling stuff to them. Just gotta get past that, not much else on

#21 4 years ago

I haven't watched in a long time but for sure watch ed a ton of seasons. I almost like the idea of past winners coming back but then I remember the past winners are always the most annoying. I had thought aboot getting back in and giving it a try, but def not for back for 2 goddamn seasons in a row with Boston Rob....uff jesus I can't stand him.

Still keep up with Amazing Race though.

#22 4 years ago

I miss the old survivor where the players weren't given comforts and food all the time. They were given one thing of rice and they had to fend for themselves other than that. They were cold and miserable at night. Teams kept around strong players to help them win team competitions early in the game instead of getting rid of the strongest players as soon as possible. There's too many merges, too many immunity idols and gimmicks, and every competition seems to come with a feast.

I still watch it. I've only missed one season. I haven't really enjoyed it for the last few years though.

#23 4 years ago

What do you mean by scripted? This isn’t pawn stars. If you are trying to say the outcome is fixed you’d be wrong on that.

I’m a complete dork die hard fan that listens to countless hours of podcasts about the show weekly. I Wish they’d do less advantages and I am not a fan of bringing back a couple people with newbies. That’s not fair to the new people. I do, however, like all returnee seasons like this one. It makes for lots of discussions and podcasts to talk about strategy since we already know the people. I could keep going on but the show is about to start!

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I haven't watched in a long time but for sure watch ed a ton of seasons. I almost like the idea of past winners coming back but then I remember the past winners are always the most annoying. I had thought aboot getting back in and giving it a try, but def not for back for 2 goddamn seasons in a row with Boston Rob....uff jesus I can't stand him.
    Still keep up with Amazing Race though.

I think they're grooming Boston Rob to take over Jeff Probst spot when he leaves the show.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from sirisles:

Michele Fitzgerald all the way!

I have her in my fantasy league, so I hope you're right.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

I miss the old survivor where the players weren't given comforts and food all the time. They were given one thing of rice and they had to fend for themselves other than that. They were cold and miserable at night. Teams kept around strong players to help them win team competitions early in the game instead of getting rid of the strongest players as soon as possible. There's too many merges, too many immunity idols and gimmicks, and every competition seems to come with a feast.

I still watch it. I've only missed one season. I haven't really enjoyed it for the last few years though.

I re-watched a couple of the older seasons to prepare for season 40, and it's amazing how different the game was back then. Food used to be such an important aspect of the game. That's why a player like Ozzy who was amazing at catching fish as well as a comp beast was so valued by his tribe. These days, a player like Ozzy is targeted almost immediately because they are seen as a huge threat.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I think they're grooming Boston Rob to take over Jeff Probst spot when he leaves the show.

I could see that, though I do think there are a number of people that don't like him. How about Bear Grylls?

EDIT: Interesting, according to Bear Grylls, he was apparently offered the hosting gig and turned it down.

#28 4 years ago

This year, everyone is a threat.

#30 4 years ago

Great premier. Its also fun that this is our only family show right now.
    Anyone else notice there is 2 fire tokens in the eyes of the immunity idol? Pull those bad boys.

#31 4 years ago

Don't watch to much TV, but when survivor and big brother start rolling I don't miss an episode. Seems like its gonna be a fun season!

#32 4 years ago

I love it, watched every season.

#33 4 years ago

Have watched every season, some better than others, but there are a few this time around I do not remember at all winning.
    I think Russel Hantz was one of the best that ever played. He changed the game like no single player ever has.

#34 4 years ago

Watched every season. Really excited for this one. I hope rob goes deep cuz it will be really interesting to watch his gameplay.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Watched every season. Really excited for this one. I hope rob goes deep cuz it will be really interesting to watch his gameplay.

Me too. I’m not a big fan of Sandra. I understand that she has great game also but she doesn’t do much in the challenges.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Have watched every season, some better than others, but there are a few this time around I do not remember at all winning.

I think the least memorable player by far is Michelle. She played a decent game, but she was completely overshadowed by much stronger personalities that season like Tai and Aubrey. I actually think Michelle is going to go far this season because she will be so under the radar.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

atched every season. Really excited for this one. I hope rob goes deep cuz it will be really interesting to watch his gameplay.

I'd love to see Rob go deep as well, but I just don't see that happening, especially when the other players realize that Amber will be able to funnel advantages to him from EoE.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

I think Russel Hantz was one of the best that ever played. He changed the game like no single player ever has.

If Russell didn’t shit on everyone, he’d have won. He still to this day hasn’t figured this part of the game out. Yes find and play idols, yes blindside people to get to the end, be a jerk and cocky to everyone and expect the vote? No. He should have won his first season and would have probably done it if he wasn’t such an ass to everyone. Same sort of thing happened in Heroes vs Villains. In that season, I believe Parvati should have won BUT she worked with Russell, everyone hated Russell for the same reasons as his first season, and because she was associated with him, she didn’t get enough votes.

The big snub this season is not having Richard Hatch on. He was asked to be on and accepted it only to suddenly be stopped from going on. Most likely this is because of the Dan incident last season even though really that has nothing to do with Hatch. Oh well, this has been a crazy completely chaotic start to the season and is so fun!

If you want to join in on the podcasting fun check out Rob Has A Podcast. Former Survivor Amazon & All-Star player Rob Cesternino is the one running all of it and it is always a joy to listen to!

#39 4 years ago

I agree. Russel was a shithead and played the game ruthlessly but he did things no other player had done before. One of the seasons he used his idol on one of his targeted alliance members. That move was brilliant and the first time it had been done. Everybody has their own style of play. I much prefer the winner to use honesty and integrity to get through but that takes a good amount of luck as well as skill. Survivor is a unique realty game which is why it has lasted as long as it has with very good tv ratings.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from AndHart120:

If Russell didn’t shit on everyone, he’d have won. He still to this day hasn’t figured this part of the game out. Yes find and play idols, yes blindside people to get to the end, be a jerk and cocky to everyone and expect the vote? No. He should have won his first season and would have probably done it if he wasn’t such an ass to everyone. Same sort of thing happened in Heroes vs Villains. In that season, I believe Parvati should have won BUT she worked with Russell, everyone hated Russell for the same reasons as his first season, and because she was associated with him, she didn’t get enough votes.
    The big snub this season is not having Richard Hatch on. He was asked to be on and accepted it only to suddenly be stopped from going on. Most likely this is because of the Dan incident last season even though really that has nothing to do with Hatch. Oh well, this has been a crazy completely chaotic start to the season and is so fun!
    If you want to join in on the podcasting fun check out Rob Has A Podcast. Former Survivor Amazon & All-Star player Rob Cesternino is the one running all of it and it is always a joy to listen to!

If I recall Richard was on a second time maybe Heroes v Villains and he was just about gave up like said vote me off first because I only came here because they paid me $100K or something like that.

I’m surprised they couldn’t fit all the winners on like the used car guy, and Tom some others. But I can hardly remember some of the winner they have on.

#41 4 years ago

I watched only the second season of this show and am surprised it's lasted this long.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

If I recall Richard was on a second time maybe Heroes v Villains and he was just about gave up like said vote me off first because I only came here because they paid me $100K or something like that.
    I’m surprised they couldn’t fit all the winners on like the used car guy, and Tom some others. But I can hardly remember some of the winner they have on.

Richard was on Season 8 (All-Stars). I believe he was voted off 6th or so. He never said to vote him off right away at all during that season. The closest thing I can think of to what you are referring to is Johnny Fairplay coming back in Fans vs Favorites and being asked to be voted off first because he decided he really didn’t want to be there.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I watched only the second season of this show and am surprised it's lasted this long.

Well if you watched one season and didn’t like it I guess that’s why you wouldn’t believe it’s still on maybe? It usually wins its time slot still each week and has a bigger following than some would think. It’s actually a lot more complicated now than it was back then even though season 2 was the most watched season by a landslide.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from AndHart120:

Well if you watched one season and didn’t like it I guess that’s why you wouldn’t believe it’s still on maybe?

I didn't say I didn't like it. But to me it was like seen it once don't need to see it again.

It went on so long, I was kind of glad when it was over. I'm just that way when it comes to these reality series.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I think I watched the first 17 seasons.
    I watch very little TV, but was on watch survivor from the start. I am not sure why, but I got burnt out and it felt too produced and I quit. ...

Same here except I watched every episode over the first 37 seasons before I called it quits. One of the few shows I used to watch regularly.

Season 40's format is somewhat intriguing and I imagine that the more celebrity-like past winners (such as Boston Rob) will have big targets on their heads.

I've moved on though - too many other more appealing choices (for me) on TV and way too little time available.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I haven't watched in a long time but for sure watch ed a ton of seasons.

Wow looking back, looks like I made it up to Season 27! I didn't think it would be that much. I do like Tyson...hmm....maybe I'll take a peak this season after all.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

I think Russel Hantz was one of the best that ever played.

I don't know. He was good a finding idols, but I think a major reason he has been "successful" in the game is others know he can't win.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I don't know. He was good a finding idols, but I think a major reason he has been "successful" in the game is others know he can't win.

Maybe so. There are usually one or two players that everyone wants to take to the finals. But the jury sometimes, not always, looks past the bad deeds and says this person took chances, made big moves, developed a good strategy and even though he/she was despicable, award them the winner. The undecided jury members can be persuaded with a convincing argument at the end. There were many deserving winners and many undeserving ones. I’ve agreed about half as many who were voted the winner with half I didn’t agree with.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from AndHart120:

Richard was on Season 8 (All-Stars). I believe he was voted off 6th or so. He never said to vote him off right away at all during that season. The closest thing I can think of to what you are referring to is Johnny Fairplay coming back in Fans vs Favorites and being asked to be voted off first because he decided he really didn’t want to be there.

yes that's correct Jonny FairPlay was the one. I stand corrected.

#50 4 years ago

I watch it just about each season, never really care who wins. But to me, it just gets worse each year. I would much prefer that its 20 new contestants each season. This bringing back previously players every single season, now a season with nothing but returning playsers is something I dont like. Let 20 new people get a chance at fame and fortune.

I was on wheel of fortune a few years ago, on most shows, people are only allowed to be on the show once. Im never allowed back on WoF, and im fine with that. Im also fine with a "tournament of Champions" kind of format. But there have been returning players on the past 5-10 seasons

There are 741 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-other-survivor-fans-out-there/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.