(Topic ID: 265485)

Any other model railroading folks here...

By DeathHimself

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Jrotten
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0927 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3694 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3696 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3697 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3687 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3690 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3688 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3689 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3691 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3692 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3693 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 4 years ago

Not having been a big model guy in the past, I've recently (before the lockdown, but certainly more so now) gotten into this hobby. I know this is sacrilege for this thread, but I'm not as much into trains due to the amount of space they seem to require. You guys sound pretty knowledgeable about these hobbies in general - what other similar niche model building is out there? I'm aware of the cars and planes, but model trains seem to take this to a whole other level.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I've never gotten into it, but it seems armor plastic models have a very strong following. There are some really amazing plastic kits from every era and army you can think of. I also hear that the comic/anime plastic models are getting popular as well. Then there are some super niche radio control earth based modelers. These guys build radio control semi trucks and earth movers, and they have events where they have mini cities set up to drive around and move dirt around in. This is far more popular in Europe and Australia though. I do dabble a bit in RC as well...I have a rock crawler bronco that is fun to take out in the woods and trail run/rock crawl with it.

holy crap those things are huge! That is pretty neat

stumbled onto this yesterday by chance (sort of the reverse of the topic, but I was curious about photographing the models)
    https://lakeshorerailway.com/tilt-shift-train-photography/

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

If you're not into trains themselves per se, then think of it like building a diorama. How much of it has to do with trains is entirely up to you. In fact, some of the most impressive model railroads and/or model rr "scenes" have very little actual railroad in them... the rest is the scenery, the story, the action. So build a city or a farm or a town or Area 51 if you want. The trains can be in the foreground or background, or not even there.
    As for space, that's the beauty of scale. G scale is huge, O is your grampa's 1940's stuff... HO is most common... but N scale is roughly half of HO and you can build an entire "city" in a 4x8. So the amount of space required is entirely up to you.
    I guess the first question to answer is do you want to build models to display on a shelf, or to display in a "world" that gives them context?

Fascinating response - I never thought of it that way! I'm a total novice, so I suppose I need to make some decisions.

I did recently build a model Cruiser C-57D (the big UFO from Forbidden Planet) on a whim. But I modified it to look like the ship from the Twilight Zone episode "The Invaders" (which used the same model as its foundation) to use as a topper/theme element to my TZ pin. I'll keep on this. Awesome thread!

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

You can recreate small scenes or vignettes as it were. Seems not so great at first, but then, check out something like this impressive stuff:

Anything on that guy's channel is cool. If nothing else you can while the hours away watching that crazy shit.
    Here's another absolutely crazy one:

wow. That is awesome!

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

You guys have all raised great points about this hobby, well except the old debating douche bags but other then them it's limitless to what your imagination can do. I do love the point that it's not really about the railroad itself it's all about the world around it, that's where the realism ties in and brings it all together. Like I said in my first post, I know this is a much smaller layout then I normally had especially for O scale, having two main lines both pretty much running a circle pattern with the inner switching into a siding yard and the outer switching to two outer legs to unload at a warehouse and that's it. However it's what you build around that concept, the detailing, animations ( yep I have few that I'll post vids when in place) that brings the fun altogether. I know it's not for everyone, and everyone has their own taste which is great otherwise in this world we all would be chasing the same woman ( or man I won't discriminate lol ), but it's fun none the less. Remember when we were younger and built those Monogram/Revelle muscle car kits or the Tamiya 1/35th tanks or planes then put them on a display shelf when finished. Well to me it's basically the same thing just on a larger scale with more detailing and creativity and the train is the animation.
    Now how about a retro laugh:

Hang on a second - that's a parody of a Bud commercial. But where did they get the song from? That is DEFINITELY Pete Stacker, the real Bud Light VO guy. And I think it's the real singer (fun fact: he's the lead singer from "Survivor", the band that did Eye of the Tiger from Rocky 3).

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

From what I recall if correct the song originally from Bud Light with the original singer and voice announcer however it was done for a radio commercial slot and these hobbyist did a video segment to the audio track.

gotcha, that is pretty awesome. Pete Stacker is hilarious, although you'd never know it -

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-other-model-railroading-folks-here?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.