(Topic ID: 265485)

Any other model railroading folks here...

By DeathHimself

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Jrotten
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0927 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3694 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3696 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3697 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3687 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3690 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3688 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3689 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3691 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3692 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3693 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jodyg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 4 years ago

I had a pretty ridiculous amount of HO trains that I wound up selling off and putting into pinball machines. I still love seeing peoples work, but I fell out of love with the social element of the hobby. I know they say Pinball people have their qualms, but some of the model train folks are downright abrasive and negative 24-7. I learned a lesson in making sure you keep doing your own thing for your own enjoyment, and don't listen to the constant barrage of negative Nancy types that seem to be in abundance. I would imagine some day I will possibly pick it up again...we are in a golden age of model railroading at the moment, with unbelievable levels of factory detail and prototype accuracy. Looking at where the hobby has gone in the last 30-40 years is pretty awe inspiring to say the least!

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Mechanics and repair; systems design and troubleshooting; historical research; molding & fabrication; Money burning...
    It's AMAZING how well it all transfers into the deeper pinball hobby, too. People ask me how I got into such comprehensive pinball restores so quickly and I say "turns out I already knew how to do most of it, and even had most of the stuff!"

This right here...I learned so much from my other past hobbies that have transferred over to pinball.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not having been a big model guy in the past, I've recently (before the lockdown, but certainly more so now) gotten into this hobby. I know this is sacrilege for this thread, but I'm not as much into trains due to the amount of space they seem to require. You guys sound pretty knowledgeable about these hobbies in general - what other similar niche model building is out there? I'm aware of the cars and planes, but model trains seem to take this to a whole other level.

I've never gotten into it, but it seems armor plastic models have a very strong following. There are some really amazing plastic kits from every era and army you can think of. I also hear that the comic/anime plastic models are getting popular as well. Then there are some super niche radio control earth based modelers. These guys build radio control semi trucks and earth movers, and they have events where they have mini cities set up to drive around and move dirt around in. This is far more popular in Europe and Australia though. I do dabble a bit in RC as well...I have a rock crawler bronco that is fun to take out in the woods and trail run/rock crawl with it.

Also, check out the scale modeling thread...I do not want to derail this awesome Model Railroading one.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-scale-model-builders-here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jodyg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-other-model-railroading-folks-here?tu=jodyg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.