(Topic ID: 265485)

Any other model railroading folks here...

By DeathHimself

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Jrotten
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0927 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3694 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3696 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3697 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3687 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3690 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3688 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3689 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3691 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3692 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3693 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DeathHimself.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I have not touched the hobby for quite some time, now being under city quarantine lock down all we have is time. So if figured it would be fun to do a lock down O Scale build during that time. I've only started two weeks ago so it's in an infancy stage and it's a small layout of 12' x 9 1/2' but I figured that was good enough for now otherwise pinball machines would have to start to go lol. In the meantime I'll just make it as detailed as possible with some animation throughout the board here and there.

Here is where I currently stand, pay no attention to the tools or other objects I used while the glued object were drying in place "you grab what ever is close". The white areas of plaster is where I'm continuing along, it's a slow crawl around the board.

60548802524__AC5F2275-5C4D-4A26-94DE-F42245562581 (resized).JPG60548802524__AC5F2275-5C4D-4A26-94DE-F42245562581 (resized).JPG60566097017__A6752D6C-7D41-4288-BDF9-5D76DFB380F2 (resized).JPG60566097017__A6752D6C-7D41-4288-BDF9-5D76DFB380F2 (resized).JPGIMG_8753 (resized).JPGIMG_8753 (resized).JPGIMG_8697 (resized).JPGIMG_8697 (resized).JPGIMG_8698 (resized).JPGIMG_8698 (resized).JPGIMG_8699 (resized).JPGIMG_8699 (resized).JPGIMG_8700 (resized).JPGIMG_8700 (resized).JPGIMG_8727 (resized).JPGIMG_8727 (resized).JPGIMG_8735 (resized).JPGIMG_8735 (resized).JPGIMG_8737 (resized).JPGIMG_8737 (resized).JPGIMG_8738 (resized).JPGIMG_8738 (resized).JPGIMG_8739 (resized).JPGIMG_8739 (resized).JPGIMG_8742 (resized).JPGIMG_8742 (resized).JPGIMG_8755 (resized).JPGIMG_8755 (resized).JPGIMG_8762 (resized).JPGIMG_8762 (resized).JPGIMG_8764 (resized).jpgIMG_8764 (resized).jpgIMG_8780 (resized).JPGIMG_8780 (resized).JPGIMG_8781 (resized).JPGIMG_8781 (resized).JPGIMG_8794 (resized).JPGIMG_8794 (resized).JPGIMG_8796 (resized).JPGIMG_8796 (resized).JPGIMG_8801 (resized).JPGIMG_8801 (resized).JPGIMG_8809 (resized).JPGIMG_8809 (resized).JPGIMG_8800 (resized).JPGIMG_8800 (resized).JPGIMG_8805 (resized).JPGIMG_8805 (resized).JPGIMG_8815 (resized).JPGIMG_8815 (resized).JPGIMG_8826 (resized).JPGIMG_8826 (resized).JPGIMG_8825 (resized).JPGIMG_8825 (resized).JPGIMG_8827 (resized).JPGIMG_8827 (resized).JPGIMG_8808 (resized).JPGIMG_8808 (resized).JPGIMG_8791 (resized).JPGIMG_8791 (resized).JPGIMG_8818 (resized).JPGIMG_8818 (resized).JPG
    #12 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

weather and detail basic models

I love weathering, here are a few photos of what I have done along with some shots of them on my old layout

However this will get there at some point, I do know I have at least until April 30th

GP71 (resized).jpgGP71 (resized).jpgGP72 (resized).jpgGP72 (resized).jpgGP76 (resized).jpgGP76 (resized).jpgIMG_9811 (resized).JPGIMG_9811 (resized).JPGIMG_9808 (resized).JPGIMG_9808 (resized).JPGimg_2941_tonemapped (resized).jpgimg_2941_tonemapped (resized).jpgimg_2946 (resized).jpgimg_2946 (resized).jpgIMG_0287 (resized).JPGIMG_0287 (resized).JPGIMG_0331 (resized).JPGIMG_0331 (resized).JPGIMG_2949 (resized).jpgIMG_2949 (resized).jpgIMG_2953 (resized).jpgIMG_2953 (resized).jpgIMG_0272 (resized).JPGIMG_0272 (resized).JPG

#13 4 years ago

BTW, did anyone notice TFTC tucked away under the new layout, lol. I had to put a machine down so I dropped that one onto dolly so I can roll it out in a few minutes and setup on the fly when ready.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

im a engineer for union pacific, so I get enough at work.

So cool I love UP, one of my favorite road names. I’ll post pix of them shortly

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lathroum:

Here's a few pics of my basement empire... G scale trains... Mostly Aristo-Craft and USA Trains... some LGB, PIKO, and Bachmann...

approx 12x24 in my basement... kinda a weird shape with the space we had... 2 mainline loops and a point to point with a reversing unit...

let me know what you think...

Very Nice, G scale is awesome but boy it eats up a lot of real-estate quickly. The Aristo's are nice and go for a pretty penny now that they have gone out of business quite some time ago. I tried to keep it all compatible so my G Scales are also MTH so I can run the DCS system as well with AC current vs DC but I do have a lot of Aristo in the attic as well. For some reason I prefer AC current vs DC when go long distances especially outside i think the impedance is different between the two. At some point in time I need to do G scale layout at my home in the mountains, I have just about 24 acres with a nice 1.2 acre clearing so would love to do something there but need to bullet proof it that I don't destroy it with the lawn mowers or the ATVs lol. Nice work on the layout, always great to watch the iron horses run...

#24 4 years ago

Oh yeah at one point I had a small G scale layout in the basement and it was just after I lost my Dad that's why I remember it so vividly I said to myself " Hey let's try this live steam thing ". Well I can you tell you this, don't try live steam in a house lol... Smoke everywhere, alarms going off like mad, hearing my Dad in my ear saying " you asshole " lol. Yeah that was pretty much the end of my live steam experience. I'm more partial to the sounds of the PS2/PS3 boards anyway.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

but some of the model train folks are downright abrasive and negative 24-7

Quoted from JodyG:

don't listen to the constant barrage of negative Nancy types that seem to be in abundance

Quoted from LTG:

They haven't built a layout yet, but they know what you should do or how to improve yours

Yep, soulds like some of the pinball guys too lol. These are hobbies and hobbies are meant to be fun. If you enjoy the way something looks, sounds, plays etc.. that's all the matters. If other's enjoy it too then great your in good company, the ones who don't can just move along but bottom line is are you having enjoyment with it that's what counts.

#44 4 years ago

You guys have all raised great points about this hobby, well except the old debating douche bags but other then them it's limitless to what your imagination can do. I do love the point that it's not really about the railroad itself it's all about the world around it, that's where the realism ties in and brings it all together. Like I said in my first post, I know this is a much smaller layout then I normally had especially for O scale, having two main lines both pretty much running a circle pattern with the inner switching into a siding yard and the outer switching to two outer legs to unload at a warehouse and that's it. However it's what you build around that concept, the detailing, animations ( yep I have few that I'll post vids when in place) that brings the fun altogether. I know it's not for everyone, and everyone has their own taste which is great otherwise in this world we all would be chasing the same woman ( or man I won't discriminate lol ), but it's fun none the less. Remember when we were younger and built those Monogram/Revelle muscle car kits or the Tamiya 1/35th tanks or planes then put them on a display shelf when finished. Well to me it's basically the same thing just on a larger scale with more detailing and creativity and the train is the animation.

Now how about a retro laugh:

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hang on a second - that's a parody of a Bud commercial. But where did they get the song from? That is DEFINITELY Pete Stacker, the real Bud Light VO guy. And I think it's the real singer (fun fact: he's the lead singer from "Survivor", the band that did Eye of the Tiger from Rocky 3).

From what I recall if correct the song originally from Bud Light with the original singer and voice announcer however it was done for a radio commercial slot and these hobbyist did a video segment to the audio track.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

gotcha, that is pretty awesome. Pete Stacker is hilarious, although you'd never know it -

That was great!

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

whose model is that?

Sorry I thought I had answered that (CRS), that Conrail is MTH Premier rolling stock as 95% of all my stock, with the exception of a few Lionel's tossed in like the N&W Legacy GP-7 cab #2446. Actually everything but that geep in those photos are all MTH Premier.

#59 4 years ago

I know to some extent I'm working like an ass all over the place but I jump from location to location as things dry to try to maximize how much I can get ahead on during this quarantine, but being from NYC I think I'll have more time then what was projected at first. So as soon as the rain passes, I'll go outside and get more dirt for the layout and in the meantime I started to drop some taller pines on the board. These are about 8-10" pines made with 8mm dowels and hemp rope. At first I didn't care for the base trunks after shaving the dowel a bit to give contour, so I rubbed them down with Elmer's glue or any other white glue really, covered them in saw dust and then airbushed giving it color. Not too bad I can live with it, looks better in person then cell picture. You can see it here with the along with switch-man Joe Donothitme by one of the yard exits.

IMG_8844 (resized).JPGIMG_8844 (resized).JPG
    #68 4 years ago

I love running whatever down the rails, I know there are rivet counters out there that things have to be exactly prototypical for them and that's great if they are into that. For me it's just about trying to incorporate some realism into my miniature world, and now a days you can still see the Bigboy running down modern lines in a lashup with a Dash-9 etc so the realism or somewhat prototypical can still apply.

So I just spent the last three hours today cutting foam, pouring hydro-cal rocks, making quilt batting shrubs all to blend in a oil tanker derailment scene (from Lionel that was already mounted on a base). It's not nearly done yet but I'll post a shot of it's current state.
    IMG_8891 (resized).jpgIMG_8891 (resized).jpgIMG_8889 (resized).jpgIMG_8889 (resized).jpg

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

That I would like to see.

Check this out from late last year, they just got it up and running again.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Where is the hazmat crew?

There is a major N95 mask shortage currently, so they have to take this one on the chin.

1 month later
    #86 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Quality has changed as the rails on the track I had were solid and the crap MTH sells today is more like the old Lionel track. It's more stamped tin track and hollow inside. Best thing about is ... the new track wont work with the older, especially the curves, as the rails don't line up

Never liked MTH or Lionel tracks, Atlas is the only track I ever use and solid rail throughout. Now train wise MTH is way better then Lionel in quality and reliability, Lionel isn't terrible but not nearly as good especially when it comes down to Legacy vs DCS, legacy is a one way signal and DCS send and receives back and fourth at the train and the TIU .

1 month later
    #102 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

So who is going to purchase this set ... https://mthtrains.com/railking/spotlight/08_2020/h and intentionally derail it?

Hobby forums and threads are safe sanctuaries away from politics, keep that non sense for the voting polls and out of the hobby.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from tdddddd:

Columbia, Maryland, June 9, 2020 --- M.T.H. Electric Trains president Mike Wolf has announced his retirement and the closure of his business effective June 1, 2021. Below is the text of his announcement sent to the M.T.H. Electric Trains Authorized Retailer network on the evening of June 8, 2020.
    https://mthtrains.com/news/658

Yep, very sad day indeed. Hopefully someone will buy it and pick up the reigns and continue.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

WOW didn't see that coming! Have a lot of MTH stuff and always liked their products, except when they went cheap on their REALTRAX. Be hard to think that someone won't buy this company unless Mike Wolf just wants a ridiculous amount for it. Hopefully something will happen!

Mike has stated a few times over the last year or so that he has been thinking about packing it in and finally made it official, I just assumed that he would have children that would have picked up the ball and ran with it but guess not.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Sometimes you do see where the kids have no desire to take over the family business, guess this is the case here. Hopefully he works something out as they make some nice products. For a good while he had a lot of products made that were related to Pittsburgh, my hometown, that I collected. When he first started making stuff I was like "gotta get that as it's probably a 1 or 2 time thing". He went on to make at least 30 carss related to Pittsburgh.

Mike was great for making a lot of those off the beaten path road names, it's a shame now for I doubt that Lionel or Atlas will. I really hope someone or a whole group of someones pickup the torch and continues his line.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DeathHimself.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-other-model-railroading-folks-here?tu=DeathHimself and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.