(Topic ID: 265485)

Any other model railroading folks here...

By DeathHimself

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Jrotten
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0927 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3694 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3696 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3697 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3687 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3690 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3688 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3689 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3691 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3692 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3693 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

I have not touched the hobby for quite some time, now being under city quarantine lock down all we have is time. So if figured it would be fun to do a lock down O Scale build during that time. I've only started two weeks ago so it's in an infancy stage and it's a small layout of 12' x 9 1/2' but I figured that was good enough for now otherwise pinball machines would have to start to go lol. In the meantime I'll just make it as detailed as possible with some animation throughout the board here and there.

Here is where I currently stand, pay no attention to the tools or other objects I used while the glued object were drying in place "you grab what ever is close". The white areas of plaster is where I'm continuing along, it's a slow crawl around the board.

60548802524__AC5F2275-5C4D-4A26-94DE-F42245562581 (resized).JPG60548802524__AC5F2275-5C4D-4A26-94DE-F42245562581 (resized).JPG60566097017__A6752D6C-7D41-4288-BDF9-5D76DFB380F2 (resized).JPG60566097017__A6752D6C-7D41-4288-BDF9-5D76DFB380F2 (resized).JPGIMG_8753 (resized).JPGIMG_8753 (resized).JPGIMG_8697 (resized).JPGIMG_8697 (resized).JPGIMG_8698 (resized).JPGIMG_8698 (resized).JPGIMG_8699 (resized).JPGIMG_8699 (resized).JPGIMG_8700 (resized).JPGIMG_8700 (resized).JPGIMG_8727 (resized).JPGIMG_8727 (resized).JPGIMG_8735 (resized).JPGIMG_8735 (resized).JPGIMG_8737 (resized).JPGIMG_8737 (resized).JPGIMG_8738 (resized).JPGIMG_8738 (resized).JPGIMG_8739 (resized).JPGIMG_8739 (resized).JPGIMG_8742 (resized).JPGIMG_8742 (resized).JPGIMG_8755 (resized).JPGIMG_8755 (resized).JPGIMG_8762 (resized).JPGIMG_8762 (resized).JPGIMG_8764 (resized).jpgIMG_8764 (resized).jpgIMG_8780 (resized).JPGIMG_8780 (resized).JPGIMG_8781 (resized).JPGIMG_8781 (resized).JPGIMG_8794 (resized).JPGIMG_8794 (resized).JPGIMG_8796 (resized).JPGIMG_8796 (resized).JPGIMG_8801 (resized).JPGIMG_8801 (resized).JPGIMG_8809 (resized).JPGIMG_8809 (resized).JPGIMG_8800 (resized).JPGIMG_8800 (resized).JPGIMG_8805 (resized).JPGIMG_8805 (resized).JPGIMG_8815 (resized).JPGIMG_8815 (resized).JPGIMG_8826 (resized).JPGIMG_8826 (resized).JPGIMG_8825 (resized).JPGIMG_8825 (resized).JPGIMG_8827 (resized).JPGIMG_8827 (resized).JPGIMG_8808 (resized).JPGIMG_8808 (resized).JPGIMG_8791 (resized).JPGIMG_8791 (resized).JPGIMG_8818 (resized).JPGIMG_8818 (resized).JPG
    #2 4 years ago

I've loved trains all my life. Had Lionel O Gauge, Ho and O scale running a long time ago. Had a good collection of Lionel O Gauge pre war and post war, and a huge collection of HO and O scale brass engines. Most gone now. Saved a few favorites.

D&NE diesels painted by a friend in the late 1970's. Missabe engine I painted ( I used to paint HO and O scale brass engines ) and some hand built HO scale Great Northern engines known as the "Perkins" collection. They were displayed at the NMRA convention in St. Paul, MN in 1956.

LTG : )

31dne35 (resized).JPG31dne35 (resized).JPG609missabe (resized).jpg609missabe (resized).jpgperkinscollection (resized).jpgperkinscollection (resized).jpg
    #3 4 years ago

Model railroading is just one of those things that makes you happy... even if it's not your own. Very nice!

#4 4 years ago

Still have a ton of N, HO, and HOn3 stuff from a few years ago. Haven't started on a new layout since moving 4 years ago. So many hobbies, so little time.

#5 4 years ago

Yea! I love trains..

ADBC968C-E1E1-4DF8-B976-7AE099C7354F (resized).jpegADBC968C-E1E1-4DF8-B976-7AE099C7354F (resized).jpeg
    #6 4 years ago

You got that done in two weeks??? I’m so impressed. You should see what I can accomplish in two weeks.....like a fraction of that. Very cool layout. Looking forward to seeing more pics!

#7 4 years ago

WOW that is amazing progress in two weeks! Free time is a model railroader's best friend

I was a lifelong model railroader before discovering pinball in late 2014... actually, I discovered pinball *because* of a connection thru model railroading. I don't have as much time for my own efforts now, but I still write and edit for several national magazines under White River (Model Railroad News, HO Collector, and Railroad Model Craftsman).

I've enough stuff acquired for the room-filling layout I envision... but am still constrained to the 4x8 I built in 2004. I blame pinball

Anyway, there's so much stuff to do in model railroading and it's a shame the hobby is so maligned and misunderstood. My favorite thing to do was custom paint, weather and detail basic models, but I've done a little bit of everything in HO.

experi1 (resized).jpgexperi1 (resized).jpg

STC_2008_2 (resized).jpgSTC_2008_2 (resized).jpg

NoseEng (resized).jpgNoseEng (resized).jpg

WC7638_Done_Nose (resized).jpgWC7638_Done_Nose (resized).jpg

LN_proto (resized).jpgLN_proto (resized).jpgLN_CF (resized).jpgLN_CF (resized).jpg

MECROCK234 (resized).jpgMECROCK234 (resized).jpgMECROCKmodel (resized).jpgMECROCKmodel (resized).jpg

STC_fleet (resized).jpgSTC_fleet (resized).jpg

CSX_6796_1 (resized).jpgCSX_6796_1 (resized).jpg

#8 4 years ago

My entire collection is in a box right now as I simply don't have the physical space to really do it anymore... But I sure do miss it...

Jeff

#9 4 years ago

Pretty good for two weeks. Love model trains and all things train related. All my HO stuff has been in boxes for 30+ years now. I got into N a few years ago but don't have space for a good setup right now.

#10 4 years ago

Awesome stuff! I used to be into model railroading when I was younger. I have thought about trying to build a track around the perimeter of our basement.

I kinda miss it sometimes. I was NEVER at the level of you guys though. This stuff is just awesome.

Chris

#11 4 years ago

I remember coming home from college. Our train set packed away for many years. For some reason my dad and I decided to pull it all out from storage. We spent hours and hours setting it up and playing around with it. It didn’t look anything like what you have, but for some reason we had so much fun and it is a great memory of time spent with my father. Sometimes the least likely memories are the most memorable. Life is funny like that.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

weather and detail basic models

I love weathering, here are a few photos of what I have done along with some shots of them on my old layout

However this will get there at some point, I do know I have at least until April 30th

GP71 (resized).jpgGP71 (resized).jpgGP72 (resized).jpgGP72 (resized).jpgGP76 (resized).jpgGP76 (resized).jpgIMG_9811 (resized).JPGIMG_9811 (resized).JPGIMG_9808 (resized).JPGIMG_9808 (resized).JPGimg_2941_tonemapped (resized).jpgimg_2941_tonemapped (resized).jpgimg_2946 (resized).jpgimg_2946 (resized).jpgIMG_0287 (resized).JPGIMG_0287 (resized).JPGIMG_0331 (resized).JPGIMG_0331 (resized).JPGIMG_2949 (resized).jpgIMG_2949 (resized).jpgIMG_2953 (resized).jpgIMG_2953 (resized).jpgIMG_0272 (resized).JPGIMG_0272 (resized).JPG

#13 4 years ago

BTW, did anyone notice TFTC tucked away under the new layout, lol. I had to put a machine down so I dropped that one onto dolly so I can roll it out in a few minutes and setup on the fly when ready.

#14 4 years ago

G scale trains here... In my basement... I will get pics....

#15 4 years ago

Pretty cool, but I'm jealous of all the pin space you are using up there.....

#16 4 years ago

im a engineer for union pacific, so I get enough at work.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

im a engineer for union pacific, so I get enough at work.

So cool I love UP, one of my favorite road names. I’ll post pix of them shortly

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from SteamVette:

Yea! I love trains..[quoted image]

Cool! If you haven’t done so before, you should check out the Pioneer Valley Steamers! They have an incredible layout they open to the public a couple of times each year! I’d love if we put a loop on our property, but I think the cost and upkeep might just be a little much, so we just go visit them.

My husband is really in to garden railroading in G scale. I’ve shared pictures before in a different train thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-have-g-scale-trains?tu=DaWezl

This week as we watch all the trashiest shows we can find, he’s been replacing the plastic wheels on all of his cars with more durable metal wheels.

#19 4 years ago

I had a pretty ridiculous amount of HO trains that I wound up selling off and putting into pinball machines. I still love seeing peoples work, but I fell out of love with the social element of the hobby. I know they say Pinball people have their qualms, but some of the model train folks are downright abrasive and negative 24-7. I learned a lesson in making sure you keep doing your own thing for your own enjoyment, and don't listen to the constant barrage of negative Nancy types that seem to be in abundance. I would imagine some day I will possibly pick it up again...we are in a golden age of model railroading at the moment, with unbelievable levels of factory detail and prototype accuracy. Looking at where the hobby has gone in the last 30-40 years is pretty awe inspiring to say the least!

#20 4 years ago

A Navy friend was heavy into model trains and taught me a lot about the hobby. I am not into wanting my own layout, etc. But via my friend I learned to appreciate the hobby. If there is train show in town I will go. And I will thumb through the train layout magazines in the grocery store.
    I also like to watch videos of trains. All because if that one friend.

As for a hobby that will test your skillset: Woodworking, plastering, painting, electrical, decorating, model building. Did miss any?

OP, you have done some exceptional weathering on your stock.

#21 4 years ago

Along with pinball taking its share of my money, model railroading takes another share of that too. Currently working on a 22'x24' HO-Scale layout, era early 1990's - present (UP/SP/CNW). There is 100+ locomotives, 500+ railcars and counting.

#22 4 years ago

Here's a few pics of my basement empire... G scale trains... Mostly Aristo-Craft and USA Trains... some LGB, PIKO, and Bachmann...

approx 12x24 in my basement... kinda a weird shape with the space we had... 2 mainline loops and a point to point with a reversing unit...

let me know what you think...

trains1 (resized).jpgtrains1 (resized).jpgtrains2 (resized).jpgtrains2 (resized).jpgtrains3 (resized).jpgtrains3 (resized).jpgtrains4 (resized).jpgtrains4 (resized).jpgtrains5 (resized).jpgtrains5 (resized).jpgtrains6 (resized).jpgtrains6 (resized).jpgtrains7 (resized).jpgtrains7 (resized).jpgtrains8 (resized).jpgtrains8 (resized).jpg
    #23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lathroum:

Here's a few pics of my basement empire... G scale trains... Mostly Aristo-Craft and USA Trains... some LGB, PIKO, and Bachmann...

approx 12x24 in my basement... kinda a weird shape with the space we had... 2 mainline loops and a point to point with a reversing unit...

let me know what you think...

Very Nice, G scale is awesome but boy it eats up a lot of real-estate quickly. The Aristo's are nice and go for a pretty penny now that they have gone out of business quite some time ago. I tried to keep it all compatible so my G Scales are also MTH so I can run the DCS system as well with AC current vs DC but I do have a lot of Aristo in the attic as well. For some reason I prefer AC current vs DC when go long distances especially outside i think the impedance is different between the two. At some point in time I need to do G scale layout at my home in the mountains, I have just about 24 acres with a nice 1.2 acre clearing so would love to do something there but need to bullet proof it that I don't destroy it with the lawn mowers or the ATVs lol. Nice work on the layout, always great to watch the iron horses run...

#24 4 years ago

Oh yeah at one point I had a small G scale layout in the basement and it was just after I lost my Dad that's why I remember it so vividly I said to myself " Hey let's try this live steam thing ". Well I can you tell you this, don't try live steam in a house lol... Smoke everywhere, alarms going off like mad, hearing my Dad in my ear saying " you asshole " lol. Yeah that was pretty much the end of my live steam experience. I'm more partial to the sounds of the PS2/PS3 boards anyway.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

but some of the model train folks are downright abrasive and negative 24-7.

Yes, some of those guys are different. They haven't built a layout yet, but they know what you should do or how to improve yours. They haven't built a model yet, but they know what you did wrong on yours. They haven't painted an engine or a car yet, but they are an expert on how to do it.

When I was more active in model railroading, I really enjoyed messing with those types.

LTG : )

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

but some of the model train folks are downright abrasive and negative 24-7

Quoted from JodyG:

don't listen to the constant barrage of negative Nancy types that seem to be in abundance

Quoted from LTG:

They haven't built a layout yet, but they know what you should do or how to improve yours

Yep, soulds like some of the pinball guys too lol. These are hobbies and hobbies are meant to be fun. If you enjoy the way something looks, sounds, plays etc.. that's all the matters. If other's enjoy it too then great your in good company, the ones who don't can just move along but bottom line is are you having enjoyment with it that's what counts.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

As for a hobby that will test your skillset: Woodworking, plastering, painting, electrical, decorating, model building. Did miss any?

You don't even want to think about "prototype modeling". Modeling a particular place and era, making sure every piece of stock properly fits the era, modding stock that isn't 100% correct, etc.

And then there is train operations...

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

A Navy friend was heavy into model trains and taught me a lot about the hobby. I am not into wanting my own layout, etc. But via my friend I learned to appreciate the hobby. If there is train show in town I will go. And I will thumb through the train layout magazines in the grocery store.
    I also like to watch videos of trains. All because if that one friend.
    OP, you have done some exceptional weathering on your stock.

That must be an expensive train layout magazine .

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

That must be an expensive train layout magazine .

It is when you are not planning to build a layout.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaWezl:

Cool! If you haven’t done so before, you should check out the Pioneer Valley Steamers! They have an incredible layout they open to the public a couple of times each year! I’d love if we put a loop on our property, but I think the cost and upkeep might just be a little much, so we just go visit them.
    My husband is really in to garden railroading in G scale. I’ve shared pictures before in a different train thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-have-g-scale-trains?tu=DaWezl
    This week as we watch all the trashiest shows we can find, he’s been replacing the plastic wheels on all of his cars with more durable metal wheels.

You all have some amazing tracks back east. Would love to just tour the US and see all the tracks. I have a 1/4 mile loop of track at my place and yes the upkeep is a good amount of work.

Jeff

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

I love weathering, here are a few photos of what I have done along with some shots of them on my old layout

Those are fantastic! You're obviously quite talented. I especially love N&W geep, and how that Conrail cylindrical (whose model is that?) dressed up... nice execution on the graffiti tagging. Personally I don't indulge much of that style as it didn't become prevalent until well after my chosen modeling era ('75-'85 give or take). But I tend to make exceptions for old soldiers in their original battered paint, though.

I realize I didn't post many of my freight car weathering efforts... then realized I never took many photos, oops. Here's a few more. I discovered nothing amped my artistic skill more than trying to replicate an actual car from a photo.

BOps2_angle (resized).jpgBOps2_angle (resized).jpg

COacftop (resized).jpgCOacftop (resized).jpg

2rockbox (resized).jpg2rockbox (resized).jpg

FlexiFlowCR897802 (resized).jpgFlexiFlowCR897802 (resized).jpg

OldCenterFlow (resized).jpgOldCenterFlow (resized).jpg

Flexi_WalksGrabsPipes (resized).jpgFlexi_WalksGrabsPipes (resized).jpg

FlexiFlow_ProtVsModel (resized).jpgFlexiFlow_ProtVsModel (resized).jpg

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Pinball people have their qualms, but some of the model train folks are downright abrasive and negative 24-7. I learned a lesson in making sure you keep doing your own thing for your own enjoyment, and don't listen to the constant barrage of negative Nancy types that seem to be in abundance....

..we are in a golden age of model railroading at the moment, with unbelievable levels of factory detail and prototype accuracy. Looking at where the hobby has gone in the last 30-40 years is pretty awe inspiring to say the least!

I think the issue model railroading has with conflicting philosophies, is from being such a small niche overall. Indulge a cargument if you will: not many Model A guys will mix it up with Muscleheads, versus exotics... consider concours guys versus resto-rodders, guys chasing the same old Tri-5 and muscle cliches verus the guys keeping forlorn & forgotten originals running... versus art cars... let alone single make/model enthusiasts... Yet each of those subcultures have enough participants to allow specifically focused clubs and gatherings to thrive. But if you cram 'em all into the same cruise-in or convention center you'll see the shifty eyes and hear the arguments. Even open Cars & Coffee-type events primarily favor certain cars over most others.

So, model railroading could easily fracture into specific subcultures, but the sum overall hobby is too small to make most of them independently self-sustaining, let alone at the local level. Hence, the endless infighting and bickering.

At some point you just have to realize none of it is going to cure cancer so it's all pointless and stupid to begin with, let alone argue about, because there's no "right way" to do it overall. You *should* appreciate all the different motives that are out there, but do what works for you. Your skills and tastes will evolve and change and that's OK. So will the next guy's. Remember where you came from and how you started out. I'm embarrassed by my own earlier works but never shame someone else's honest attempts, or indulgence in what makes them happy. Regardless of how many rivets there are to count, they're still just toys.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Mechanics and repair; systems design and troubleshooting; historical research; molding & fabrication; Money burning...

It's AMAZING how well it all transfers into the deeper pinball hobby, too. People ask me how I got into such comprehensive pinball restores so quickly and I say "turns out I already knew how to do most of it, and even had most of the stuff!"

#33 4 years ago

Mechanics and repair; systems design and troubleshooting; historical research; molding & fabrication; Money burning...
    It's AMAZING how well it all transfers into the deeper pinball hobby, too. People ask me how I got into such comprehensive pinball restores so quickly and I say "turns out I already knew how to do most of it, and even had most of the stuff!"

This right here...I learned so much from my other past hobbies that have transferred over to pinball.

#34 4 years ago

I think the issue model railroading has with conflicting philosophies, is from being such a small niche overall. Indulge a cargument if you will: not many Model A guys will mix it up with Muscleheads, versus exotics... consider concours guys versus resto-rodders, guys chasing the same old Tri-5 and muscle cliches verus the guys keeping forlorn & forgotten originals running... versus art cars... let alone single make/model enthusiasts... Yet each of those subcultures have enough participants to allow specifically focused clubs and gatherings to thrive. But if you cram 'em all into the same cruise-in or convention center you'll see the shifty eyes and hear the arguments. Even open Cars & Coffee-type events primarily favor certain cars over most others.
    So, model railroading could easily fracture into specific subcultures, but the sum overall hobby is too small to make most of them independently self-sustaining, let alone at the local level. Hence, the endless infighting and bickering.
    At some point you just have to realize none of it is going to cure cancer so it's all pointless and stupid to begin with, let alone argue about, because there's no "right way" to do it overall. You *should* appreciate all the different motives that are out there, but do what works for you. Your skills and tastes will evolve and change and that's OK. So will the next guy's. Remember where you came from and how you started out. I'm embarrassed by my own earlier works but never shame someone else's honest attempts, or indulgence in what makes them happy. Regardless of how many rivets there are to count, they're still just toys.

Nice summary. As I look at the various stuff I have acquired so far (locos, cars, etc) and start planning for a small setup, this is exactly what I see when I look at the RR forums. Sometimes the arguments are full of contradictions. For example they will argue about whether a specific locomotive should be on a layout that is modeling a specific era, because it wasn't made until a few years later. But then, it seems that "running steam is always allowed", even on a modern era setup taking place decades after steam was dead. Because, steam is cool.

Then of course there are those that say any layout where the train just continually goes around in a circle is just a toy made by an idiot. Well, I might have some turnouts and such in mine, but I'm gonna also set it up so it will continually run in a circle. Because sometimes I like to just sit there and watch the train go dammit.

There are those that simply say, its my railroad and I'll do what I want. Which is a good attitude. Why not make a cool setup that you enjoy? After all, you will never ever recreate something that is even remotely like the real thing. Every model requires you to squint your eyes and your brain so you can suspend belief and pretend you are looking at the real thing. The entire (mostly unspoken) lie of model railroading becomes apparent when you start thinking about the numbers. HO is 1:87. As you sit there looking at you 10'x16' layout for example, you are thinking, OK, I can get a main line run of 16 feet long here, cool. You are envisioning the train running along from your small town on one side over to an industry on the other side as it goes about its work. Well, 16 feet translates to a grand total of 1392 prototype feet. About 1/4 of a mile. Trains were made to travel across hundreds or thousands of miles, not a quarter of a mile LOL. In fact, a real freight train would typically be 1/4 mile to 1 mile long just by itself. Think about it, if you put together a "real" train, it would just sit there taking up your entire track, how can it go from point A to point B??? Its front end is at point A and its rear end is at point B.

You have to have a huge massive layout inside a big building to be able to build out something that even remotely resembles to the real thing. Unless of course you model a more constrained physical area such as a switching yard or a single dock which is also cool.

Also, there is another tinker area associated with model railroading I just thought of - automation. There is lots of stuff you can do if you connect up a computer or other devices like Arduinos to the system. I want to mess around with some of that stuff too.

#35 4 years ago

Not having been a big model guy in the past, I've recently (before the lockdown, but certainly more so now) gotten into this hobby. I know this is sacrilege for this thread, but I'm not as much into trains due to the amount of space they seem to require. You guys sound pretty knowledgeable about these hobbies in general - what other similar niche model building is out there? I'm aware of the cars and planes, but model trains seem to take this to a whole other level.

#36 4 years ago

Very Nice, G scale is awesome but boy it eats up a lot of real-estate quickly. The Aristo's are nice and go for a pretty penny now that they have gone out of business quite some time ago. I tried to keep it all compatible so my G Scales are also MTH so I can run the DCS system as well with AC current vs DC but I do have a lot of Aristo in the attic as well. For some reason I prefer AC current vs DC when go long distances especially outside i think the impedance is different between the two. At some point in time I need to do G scale layout at my home in the mountains, I have just about 24 acres with a nice 1.2 acre clearing so would love to do something there but need to bullet proof it that I don't destroy it with the lawn mowers or the ATVs lol. Nice work on the layout, always great to watch the iron horses run...

I miss Aristocraft.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not having been a big model guy in the past, I've recently (before the lockdown, but certainly more so now) gotten into this hobby. I know this is sacrilege for this thread, but I'm not as much into trains due to the amount of space they seem to require. You guys sound pretty knowledgeable about these hobbies in general - what other similar niche model building is out there? I'm aware of the cars and planes, but model trains seem to take this to a whole other level.

I've never gotten into it, but it seems armor plastic models have a very strong following. There are some really amazing plastic kits from every era and army you can think of. I also hear that the comic/anime plastic models are getting popular as well. Then there are some super niche radio control earth based modelers. These guys build radio control semi trucks and earth movers, and they have events where they have mini cities set up to drive around and move dirt around in. This is far more popular in Europe and Australia though. I do dabble a bit in RC as well...I have a rock crawler bronco that is fun to take out in the woods and trail run/rock crawl with it.

Also, check out the scale modeling thread...I do not want to derail this awesome Model Railroading one.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-scale-model-builders-here

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I've never gotten into it, but it seems armor plastic models have a very strong following. There are some really amazing plastic kits from every era and army you can think of. I also hear that the comic/anime plastic models are getting popular as well. Then there are some super niche radio control earth based modelers. These guys build radio control semi trucks and earth movers, and they have events where they have mini cities set up to drive around and move dirt around in. This is far more popular in Europe and Australia though. I do dabble a bit in RC as well...I have a rock crawler bronco that is fun to take out in the woods and trail run/rock crawl with it.

holy crap those things are huge! That is pretty neat

stumbled onto this yesterday by chance (sort of the reverse of the topic, but I was curious about photographing the models)
    https://lakeshorerailway.com/tilt-shift-train-photography/

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If you're not into trains themselves per se, then think of it like building a diorama. How much of it has to do with trains is entirely up to you. In fact, some of the most impressive model railroads and/or model RR scenes have very little actual railroad in them... the hook is the scenery, the story, the action (even if only implied). So build a metropolis or a farm or a village or Area 51 if you want. The trains can be in the foreground or background, or not even there.

As for space, that's the beauty of scale. G scale is huge, O is your grampa's 1940's stuff... HO is most common... but N scale is roughly half of HO and you can build an entire city or breathtaking vista in a 4x8. So the amount of space required is entirely up to you.

I guess the first question to answer is do you want to build models to display on a shelf, or to display in a "world" that gives them context?

#40 4 years ago

You can recreate small scenes or vignettes as it were. Seems not so great at first, but then, check out something like this impressive stuff:

Anything on that guy's channel is cool. If nothing else you can while the hours away watching that crazy shit.

Here's another absolutely crazy one:

#41 4 years ago

If you're not into trains themselves per se, then think of it like building a diorama. How much of it has to do with trains is entirely up to you. In fact, some of the most impressive model railroads and/or model rr "scenes" have very little actual railroad in them... the rest is the scenery, the story, the action. So build a city or a farm or a town or Area 51 if you want. The trains can be in the foreground or background, or not even there.
    As for space, that's the beauty of scale. G scale is huge, O is your grampa's 1940's stuff... HO is most common... but N scale is roughly half of HO and you can build an entire "city" in a 4x8. So the amount of space required is entirely up to you.
    I guess the first question to answer is do you want to build models to display on a shelf, or to display in a "world" that gives them context?

Fascinating response - I never thought of it that way! I'm a total novice, so I suppose I need to make some decisions.

I did recently build a model Cruiser C-57D (the big UFO from Forbidden Planet) on a whim. But I modified it to look like the ship from the Twilight Zone episode "The Invaders" (which used the same model as its foundation) to use as a topper/theme element to my TZ pin. I'll keep on this. Awesome thread!

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

You can recreate small scenes or vignettes as it were. Seems not so great at first, but then, check out something like this impressive stuff:

Anything on that guy's channel is cool. If nothing else you can while the hours away watching that crazy shit.
    Here's another absolutely crazy one:

wow. That is awesome!

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

holy crap those things are huge! That is pretty neat
    stumbled onto this yesterday by chance (sort of the reverse of the topic, but I was curious about photographing the models)
    https://lakeshorerailway.com/tilt-shift-train-photography/

Tilt shift photography is some weird stuff, but really cool when it comes out right. You're right, you wouldn't use it for the models, but you have brought up another tinker area for model railroading: photography. Some people make photographing the setups (and video as well) as a major focus for their modeling. With this of course you can now fiddle around with all of that photography stuff: lighting, depth of field, macro, etc.

I like the photo comparisons between a prototype and a model made to match it, such as goingincirclez posted above.

#44 4 years ago

You guys have all raised great points about this hobby, well except the old debating douche bags but other then them it's limitless to what your imagination can do. I do love the point that it's not really about the railroad itself it's all about the world around it, that's where the realism ties in and brings it all together. Like I said in my first post, I know this is a much smaller layout then I normally had especially for O scale, having two main lines both pretty much running a circle pattern with the inner switching into a siding yard and the outer switching to two outer legs to unload at a warehouse and that's it. However it's what you build around that concept, the detailing, animations ( yep I have few that I'll post vids when in place) that brings the fun altogether. I know it's not for everyone, and everyone has their own taste which is great otherwise in this world we all would be chasing the same woman ( or man I won't discriminate lol ), but it's fun none the less. Remember when we were younger and built those Monogram/Revelle muscle car kits or the Tamiya 1/35th tanks or planes then put them on a display shelf when finished. Well to me it's basically the same thing just on a larger scale with more detailing and creativity and the train is the animation.

Now how about a retro laugh:

#45 4 years ago

You guys have all raised great points about this hobby, well except the old debating douche bags but other then them it's limitless to what your imagination can do. I do love the point that it's not really about the railroad itself it's all about the world around it, that's where the realism ties in and brings it all together. Like I said in my first post, I know this is a much smaller layout then I normally had especially for O scale, having two main lines both pretty much running a circle pattern with the inner switching into a siding yard and the outer switching to two outer legs to unload at a warehouse and that's it. However it's what you build around that concept, the detailing, animations ( yep I have few that I'll post vids when in place) that brings the fun altogether. I know it's not for everyone, and everyone has their own taste which is great otherwise in this world we all would be chasing the same woman ( or man I won't discriminate lol ), but it's fun none the less. Remember when we were younger and built those Monogram/Revelle muscle car kits or the Tamiya 1/35th tanks or planes then put them on a display shelf when finished. Well to me it's basically the same thing just on a larger scale with more detailing and creativity and the train is the animation.
    Now how about a retro laugh:

Hang on a second - that's a parody of a Bud commercial. But where did they get the song from? That is DEFINITELY Pete Stacker, the real Bud Light VO guy. And I think it's the real singer (fun fact: he's the lead singer from "Survivor", the band that did Eye of the Tiger from Rocky 3).

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hang on a second - that's a parody of a Bud commercial. But where did they get the song from? That is DEFINITELY Pete Stacker, the real Bud Light VO guy. And I think it's the real singer (fun fact: he's the lead singer from "Survivor", the band that did Eye of the Tiger from Rocky 3).

From what I recall if correct the song originally from Bud Light with the original singer and voice announcer however it was done for a radio commercial slot and these hobbyist did a video segment to the audio track.

#47 4 years ago

Here is some typical model railroading fun, triggered by my research on this cool Athearn boxcar I bought for a few bucks. The danger here is that if you tend toward being OCD and wanting to learn everything and get everthing exactly right, its is a huge morass.

boxcar Athearn 5014 40ft Grand Canyon 145385 sIde map (resized).jpgboxcar Athearn 5014 40ft Grand Canyon 145385 sIde map (resized).jpg

My idea is to build a layout based on the Southern California Santa Fe from somewhere in the 60s. Not too original, but too cool to pass up. Well, does this boxcar fit that? Well first of all, you have to figure out exactly what it is. Because a boxcar is not just a boxcar you know! You dig around and find out this is a BX-37 boxcar. This is obvious when you know where to look, its labeled as such on the lower right by the ladder. This is 1940s era when new. This one is labeled "BLT 2-42" if you look to the left of the BX37 tag so it was built new in Feb 1942 . Hey, too old!? No, because luckily the railroads were cheap and they did their best to keep old stuff going as long as they could to save money. So it would be totally realistic to have a 1960s train hauling some 1940s boxcars (so I read).

However, these types of cars were often reconditioned as time went by to keep them going. In fact, this one is labeled that it was reconditioned in 1966. If you look at the left side you will see where it says "LA 12-66" which I believe means it was reconditioned in Los Angeles in 1966. You see, when you get into it, you will find yourself studying all these markings to find out what they mean and to see if what you have is accurate. So now you know, if you were modeling EARLY 60s era, from 1960-1965, you could NOT put this car on your train!! Because it was reconditioned in 1966 which hadn't happened yet! You would be subject to ridicule and labeled as an amateur, how dare you.

But that's nothing. That's just the start of a long litany of issues. This boxcar has a roof walk on it. These were banned around 1966 (too dangerous). So if you were modeling the late 60s this would not be right, you need to take the roof walk off. But you could argue, not every car had the roof walk removed right away, it took some time to get them all done. Some may have even persisted until the 1970s, eventually completely banned in 1982. OK then. We are good to go.

Well, no. There are problems. You see the cool Santa Fe map on this one? This is the "curved line" map version. For a 1942 car it is supposed to be the "straight line" version Darn it. And the big ATSF letters on the left aren't right, there should be periods in between the letters for that era. Although you could argue they painted over the periods in 1966 when the reconditioned it I suppose.

There are many more issues to deal with after some research:

The BX-37 ladders on the sides are incorrect. The left ladder side rail should reach to the roof, which it does not. Ladders on the side of the 43 are also incorrect, as both side rails should reach to the roof. The ladder rounds are also too close together on both models.

The end ladders on the BX-37 had 6 rounds (rungs) starting higher and using the lower grab as a first step. The BX-43 ladders had 7. The models have 7, so incorrect for the BX-37. Because of the way the end ladders are cast, you can't simply cut off the lower round without also removing one (two?) of the brackets that holds the ladder to the car body.

The grabs on the ends and left end of the sides are terribly oversize. They should be 5/8" rod but look enormous. You gotta cut them off and replace them with thinner metal ones.

Of course, the underside of the car is completely wrong, everything is backwards.

There are issues with the doors that required removing them and getting them right.

All this stuff can be fixed with an intense modding session and all the right parts. It goes without saying that the wheels need to be changed out and the couplers changed to Kaydees.

All of that for ONE boxcar!!! I still haven't finished reading all the historical information on just the Santa Fe boxcars.

Of course, you could just take this damn thing and stick it on your train and say the hell with it, I'm running it. But where's the fun in that???

#48 4 years ago

From what I recall if correct the song originally from Bud Light with the original singer and voice announcer however it was done for a radio commercial slot and these hobbyist did a video segment to the audio track.

gotcha, that is pretty awesome. Pete Stacker is hilarious, although you'd never know it -

#49 4 years ago

The pinnacle of the collection 1939 Lionel Blue Comet, full set 263E NIB's ( only displayed now). No sunlight.

Also with (2) Lionel fans, before Lionel got into trains. ( I collect antique fans also)

It's a small room so I have a small set-up now.

Probably my favorite hobby for 50 plus years..Grampa, dad, and just me now...and I'm old.
    IMG_0982 (resized).JPGIMG_0982 (resized).JPGIMG_0984 (resized).JPGIMG_0984 (resized).JPGIMG_0988 (resized).JPGIMG_0988 (resized).JPG

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Takes red pill...

NOoooooo THAT rabbit hole is impossibly deep how the hell does ANYONE get enjoyment from trying to build an entire train this way?!?!

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Of course, you could just take this damn thing and stick it on your train and say the hell with it, I'm running it. But where's the fun in that???

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-other-model-railroading-folks-here?hl=rampton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.