(Topic ID: 265485)

Any other model railroading folks here...

By DeathHimself

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Jrotten
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0927 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3694 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3696 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3697 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3687 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3690 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3688 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3689 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3691 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3692 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3693 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

NOoooooo THAT rabbit hole is impossibly deep how the hell does ANYONE get enjoyment from trying to build an entire train this way?!?!

This really depends on the person. Everyone is different. I'm really weird that way, I find it very interesting to research all this kind of stuff and learn about the old trains. The problem is, it takes some time to go through this stuff. Its not all in one convenient place.

I don't think there is a single thing wrong with just putting this car on your train and running it. 99.9% of the people who see it will never know a thing, they'll just see a cool old boxcar. But there are those few...they have eagle eyes and they will zoom right in on every tiny flaw. It reminds me of pinball. Sometimes here I see post with pictures of playfields and such, and Pinsiders jump in with comments on the most small and obscure things that I never noticed nor would I notice in a million years. But to them it is obvious, because they know their shit.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

gotcha, that is pretty awesome. Pete Stacker is hilarious, although you'd never know it -

That was great!

#53 3 years ago

I believe when I was six-years-old, I received a n-scale train, with two tracks, from "Santa." My dad, I mean Santa, had the track laid out on a 4' x 6' piece of plywood with green felt applied. There was a Styrofoam mountain tunnel, crossing gates that came down from the pressure of the train, and a few buildings scattered around the tracks. By far this was one of my FAVORITE memories when I was a kid. The best part, the engine was Chicago-Northwestern, the railroad my grandfather worked for.

Fast forward to late February of this year, I took my wife and daughter to the Twin City Model Railroad Museum for their last "Night Trains" event of the season - they had a blast. If you have been, you know how amazing it is. If you haven't, here's a great YouTube video to see it in action:

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

This really depends on the person. Everyone is different. I'm really weird that way, I find it very interesting to research all this kind of stuff and learn about the old trains. The problem is, it takes some time to go through this stuff. Its not all in one convenient place.
    I don't think there is a single thing wrong with just putting this car on your train and running it. 99.9% of the people who see it will never know a thing, they'll just see a cool old boxcar. But there are those few...they have eagle eyes and they will zoom right in on every tiny flaw. It reminds me of pinball. Sometimes here I see post with pictures of playfields and such, and Pinsiders jump in with comments on the most small and obscure things that I never noticed nor would I notice in a million years. But to them it is obvious, because they know their shit.

I guess my kidding hyperbole didn't convey... I've fallen into the same rabbit hole more than once! It's funny how a simple "hm, I really like this car in real life and I wonder how I can make an accurate model of it..." veers into the depths of things you never once cared to pay any attention to, but becomes fascinating in its own right, and then spawns other pseudo-obsessions.

Again, kinda like pinball ha ha.

But for me personally, red-pilling every car and feature is untenable so for every car like a Flexi-Flo or Canstock boxcar I've spent (too many) hours agonizing over, there's a dozen more I just toss on tracks and let roll. There's a balancing act to find the right level of enjoyment, that varies from person to person. Actually I can totally see how someone might want to "red pill" every car to fit their overall goals... but for my purposes I merely pick and choose. FWIW I do advise everyone to "redpill" at least one model: it truly advances your skill set and appreciation for knowledge and research. And yet not a single person who has ever seen my models has picked up on the finer nuances of what I obsessed about. At clubs and on forums it's a different story... as long as they happen to be of like mind. Even so, there's always that "one asshole" who has to have a measuring contest so again, it comes back to balance.

The great Allen McClelland (of Virginian & Ohio fame) set the touchstone: "Good enough, is good enough."

#55 3 years ago

I guess my kidding hyperbole didn't convey... I've fallen into the same rabbit hole more than once! It's funny how a simple "hm, I really like this car in real life and I wonder how I can make an accurate model of it..." veers into the depths of things you never once cared to pay any attention to, but becomes fascinating in its own right, and then spawns other pseudo-obsessions.
    Again, kinda like pinball ha ha.
    But for me personally, red-pilling every car and feature is untenable so for every car like a Flexi-Flo or Canstock boxcar I've spent (too many) hours agonizing over, there's a dozen more I just toss on tracks and let roll. There's a balancing act to find the right level of enjoyment, that varies from person to person. Actually I can totally see how someone might want to "red pill" every car to fit their overall goals... but for my purposes I merely pick and choose. FWIW I do advise everyone to "redpill" at least one model: it truly advances your skill set and appreciation for knowledge and research. And yet not a single person who has ever seen my models has picked up on the finer nuances of what I obsessed about. At clubs and on forums it's a different story... as long as they happen to be of like mind. Even so, there's always that "one asshole" who has to have a measuring contest so again, it comes back to balance.
    The great Allen McClelland (of Virginian & Ohio fame) set the touchstone: "Good enough, is good enough."

Right, I should have looked at who was making the post which I didn't do, then I would have figured it out

All your points are good, the main thing is, there are a million things to do in this hobby to keep you busy and entertained.

#56 3 years ago

A picture at one of the local mall train shows around 1980 back when I had a Lionel collection going.
    LTG : )

IMG_0606 (resized).JPGIMG_0606 (resized).JPG
    #57 3 years ago

The photos I’ve shared previously are from our old house. Now that we moved into a new place, he’s been doing the landscaping work for his new railroad.

Pond when we moved in:
    61EC8079-7092-4788-85D6-9B4811E9CD2D (resized).jpeg61EC8079-7092-4788-85D6-9B4811E9CD2D (resized).jpeg

Some images of the waterfall/retaining wall/tunnel system he’s been building by hand:
    D73DDC72-7C89-459A-B8D6-523DEE078D7E (resized).jpegD73DDC72-7C89-459A-B8D6-523DEE078D7E (resized).jpeg
    BE2637C1-5AC1-4A1D-80A7-B5E1B45A69E8 (resized).jpegBE2637C1-5AC1-4A1D-80A7-B5E1B45A69E8 (resized).jpeg
    D61EA15A-E8FD-444C-AD0F-6DF72386DF2D (resized).jpegD61EA15A-E8FD-444C-AD0F-6DF72386DF2D (resized).jpeg
    8C32C990-B681-4EE9-817B-9FCD2EABDF7D (resized).jpeg8C32C990-B681-4EE9-817B-9FCD2EABDF7D (resized).jpeg
    07EA3AED-3B57-47D2-A2AB-6BB29303F2DB (resized).jpeg07EA3AED-3B57-47D2-A2AB-6BB29303F2DB (resized).jpeg

He couldn’t bear not to run trains while he’s working on this, so he added a temp track

1EBDF3C1-152D-4208-B5B6-CA721B6F3D6E (resized).jpeg1EBDF3C1-152D-4208-B5B6-CA721B6F3D6E (resized).jpeg

And finally, when he was building the mountain, he made a little tomb to hold the remains of a pet tarantula he used to have. He decided to make it an “Indiana Jones” scene in case anyone opened the mountain.
    5D8AD1E1-A567-4210-BC27-F8708842BEF9 (resized).jpeg5D8AD1E1-A567-4210-BC27-F8708842BEF9 (resized).jpeg
    A6161389-6C41-4AD0-B39E-5E671E96AEF2 (resized).jpegA6161389-6C41-4AD0-B39E-5E671E96AEF2 (resized).jpeg
    D7DF594E-4259-4D24-BA6E-EB905FE0EFF5 (resized).jpegD7DF594E-4259-4D24-BA6E-EB905FE0EFF5 (resized).jpeg
    E337FDD7-B331-4F9E-96E7-DBAF71112823 (resized).jpegE337FDD7-B331-4F9E-96E7-DBAF71112823 (resized).jpeg

#58 3 years ago

whose model is that?

Sorry I thought I had answered that (CRS), that Conrail is MTH Premier rolling stock as 95% of all my stock, with the exception of a few Lionel's tossed in like the N&W Legacy GP-7 cab #2446. Actually everything but that geep in those photos are all MTH Premier.

#59 3 years ago

I know to some extent I'm working like an ass all over the place but I jump from location to location as things dry to try to maximize how much I can get ahead on during this quarantine, but being from NYC I think I'll have more time then what was projected at first. So as soon as the rain passes, I'll go outside and get more dirt for the layout and in the meantime I started to drop some taller pines on the board. These are about 8-10" pines made with 8mm dowels and hemp rope. At first I didn't care for the base trunks after shaving the dowel a bit to give contour, so I rubbed them down with Elmer's glue or any other white glue really, covered them in saw dust and then airbushed giving it color. Not too bad I can live with it, looks better in person then cell picture. You can see it here with the along with switch-man Joe Donothitme by one of the yard exits.

IMG_8844 (resized).JPGIMG_8844 (resized).JPG
    #60 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaWezl:

The photos I’ve shared previously are from our old house. Now that we moved into a new place, he’s been doing the landscaping work for his new railroad.
    Pond when we moved in:
    [quoted image]
    Some images of the waterfall/retaining wall/tunnel system he’s been building by hand:
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    He couldn’t bear not to run trains while he’s working on this, so he added a temp track
    [quoted image]
    And finally, when he was building the mountain, he made a little tomb to hold the remains of a pet tarantula he used to have. He decided to make it an “Indiana Jones” scene in case anyone opened the mountain.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Awesome. Garden railroads are soooo darn cool. This one looks like it will be really nice.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Awesome. Garden railroads are soooo darn cool. This one looks like it will be really nice.

This is the third layout he’s created (he made one for his dad as well), and he’s learned a lot about what works well. He puts in a lot of work up front so he avoids problems later on. It’s taken him 3 summers to get the new water feature and tunnels completed bc he was making sure it was all level and the right grading. This year he’s going to work on the tunnel facades. On his first layout, he worked faster, but when they ran the trains, there were a lot of derailed cars, etc, and they ended up having to tear out and reinstall track multiple times.

#62 3 years ago

this is the most accurate complex setup i have ever seen

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

this is the most accurate complex setup i have ever seen

Wow !!

Are there kits for all of those buildings? Or would they be scratch built?

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Wow !!
    Are there kits for all of those buildings? Or would they be scratch built?

George Sellios used to own a miniature model company
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Sellios

#65 3 years ago

Inspirational. Thanks! I’ve been wanting to set my Lionel Post War stuff back up. We moved 3 years ago, and I never rebuilt my layout. I really enjoy the operation aspect of the hobby, pushing buttons, switching cars, throwing levers and switches. My wife is the talented artist type and can make great dioramas.

I remember I had always wanted a ZW transformer and getting one after my first real paycheck ages ago. It’s been suggested that I should switch to the modern systems with digital sounds, cameras and operation with smart devices, etc. I think technology is great, but much like I can derive pleasure out of EM games as well as modern pins, there is something fun about the old smoke and buzzing of e-units.

Keep posting. I’m enjoying seeing the pictures

#66 3 years ago

I still have some material left to make these if anyone is interested.
    These are 6" x 30" but I can also do full scale 9" x 48".

trimmed 1 (resized).jpgtrimmed 1 (resized).jpgtrimmed 2 (resized).jpgtrimmed 2 (resized).jpg
    #67 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Here is some typical model railroading fun, triggered by my research on this cool Athearn boxcar I bought for a few bucks. The danger here is that if you tend toward being OCD and wanting to learn everything and get everthing exactly right, its is a huge morass.
    [quoted image]
    My idea is to build a layout based on the Southern California Santa Fe from somewhere in the 60s. Not too original, but too cool to pass up. Well, does this boxcar fit that? Well first of all, you have to figure out exactly what it is. Because a boxcar is not just a boxcar you know! You dig around and find out this is a BX-37 boxcar. This is obvious when you know where to look, its labeled as such on the lower right by the ladder. This is 1940s era when new. This one is labeled "BLT 2-42" if you look to the left of the BX37 tag so it was built new in Feb 1942 . Hey, too old!? No, because luckily the railroads were cheap and they did their best to keep old stuff going as long as they could to save money. So it would be totally realistic to have a 1960s train hauling some 1940s boxcars (so I read).
    However, these types of cars were often reconditioned as time went by to keep them going. In fact, this one is labeled that it was reconditioned in 1966. If you look at the left side you will see where it says "LA 12-66" which I believe means it was reconditioned in Los Angeles in 1966. You see, when you get into it, you will find yourself studying all these markings to find out what they mean and to see if what you have is accurate. So now you know, if you were modeling EARLY 60s era, from 1960-1965, you could NOT put this car on your train!! Because it was reconditioned in 1966 which hadn't happened yet! You would be subject to ridicule and labeled as an amateur, how dare you.
    But that's nothing. That's just the start of a long litany of issues. This boxcar has a roof walk on it. These were banned around 1966 (too dangerous). So if you were modeling the late 60s this would not be right, you need to take the roof walk off. But you could argue, not every car had the roof walk removed right away, it took some time to get them all done. Some may have even persisted until the 1970s, eventually completely banned in 1982. OK then. We are good to go.
    Well, no. There are problems. You see the cool Santa Fe map on this one? This is the "curved line" map version. For a 1942 car it is supposed to be the "straight line" version Darn it. And the big ATSF letters on the left aren't right, there should be periods in between the letters for that era. Although you could argue they painted over the periods in 1966 when the reconditioned it I suppose.
    There are many more issues to deal with after some research:
    The BX-37 ladders on the sides are incorrect. The left ladder side rail should reach to the roof, which it does not. Ladders on the side of the 43 are also incorrect, as both side rails should reach to the roof. The ladder rounds are also too close together on both models.
    The end ladders on the BX-37 had 6 rounds (rungs) starting higher and using the lower grab as a first step. The BX-43 ladders had 7. The models have 7, so incorrect for the BX-37. Because of the way the end ladders are cast, you can't simply cut off the lower round without also removing one (two?) of the brackets that holds the ladder to the car body.
    The grabs on the ends and left end of the sides are terribly oversize. They should be 5/8" rod but look enormous. You gotta cut them off and replace them with thinner metal ones.
    Of course, the underside of the car is completely wrong, everything is backwards.
    There are issues with the doors that required removing them and getting them right.
    All this stuff can be fixed with an intense modding session and all the right parts. It goes without saying that the wheels need to be changed out and the couplers changed to Kaydees.
    All of that for ONE boxcar!!! I still haven't finished reading all the historical information on just the Santa Fe boxcars.
    Of course, you could just take this damn thing and stick it on your train and say the hell with it, I'm running it. But where's the fun in that???

I am just a casual observer. You serious model railroaders can beat each other up about this being period correct or not correct. I won't notice it at all.

Anybody can set up a model train to run around a Christmas tree. I'm good for watching that for about 3 laps.

But you guys with your layout chops that will let you build these lifelike looking layouts blow me away. I can spend a lot of time looking at layouts and there does not even need to be a train on the tracks. I suppose if you stuck a 1970s automobile into your steam layout, I would catch that, but by and large, most casual observers will ooh-and-ahh at how much general realism that is presented with your layout.

#68 3 years ago

I love running whatever down the rails, I know there are rivet counters out there that things have to be exactly prototypical for them and that's great if they are into that. For me it's just about trying to incorporate some realism into my miniature world, and now a days you can still see the Bigboy running down modern lines in a lashup with a Dash-9 etc so the realism or somewhat prototypical can still apply.

So I just spent the last three hours today cutting foam, pouring hydro-cal rocks, making quilt batting shrubs all to blend in a oil tanker derailment scene (from Lionel that was already mounted on a base). It's not nearly done yet but I'll post a shot of it's current state.
    IMG_8891 (resized).jpgIMG_8891 (resized).jpgIMG_8889 (resized).jpgIMG_8889 (resized).jpg

#69 3 years ago

A Postwar layout from a few years ago. My father and I have been collecting since the 80’s. Upset this year because of the state of the world, canceled the TCA show in York and Allentown Pin show is questionable. Lionel, Pinball, Arcades doesn’t get any better.

253D3181-9B04-4F49-8AE4-69EF4D6004FD (resized).jpeg253D3181-9B04-4F49-8AE4-69EF4D6004FD (resized).jpeg
    #70 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

I love running whatever down the rails, I know there are rivet counters out there that things have to be exactly prototypical for them and that's great if they are into that. For me it's just about trying to incorporate some realism into my miniature world, and now a days you can still see the Bigboy running down modern lines in a lashup with a Dash-9 etc so the realism or somewhat prototypical can still apply.
    So I just spent the last three hours today cutting foam, pouring hydro-cal rocks, making quilt batting shrubs all to blend in a oil tanker derailment scene (from Lionel that was already mounted on a base). It's not nearly done yet but I'll post a shot of it's current state.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Where is the hazmat crew?

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dennis423:

A Postwar layout from a few years ago. My father and I have been collecting since the 80’s. Upset this year because of the state of the world, canceled the TCA show in York and Allentown Pin show is questionable. Lionel, Pinball, Arcades doesn’t get any better.[quoted image]

What grade is your bridge coming from the left behind that red tower. It looks like 30% !

#72 3 years ago

you can still see the Bigboy running down modern lines in a lashup with a Dash-9

That I would like to see.

You have probably already seen this but in case you have not, here is 4013 getting a workout.

My friend raved about the 4-8-8-4, the Sharknose Diesels, and Southern Railways green steamers. If I was ever to build a static display for looking at it would be these 3.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 11.06.02 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-09 at 11.06.02 PM (resized).png

The Sharks look like they are moving even standing still.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 11.03.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-09 at 11.03.21 PM (resized).png

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

That I would like to see.

Check this out from late last year, they just got it up and running again.

#74 3 years ago

I don't know what the names are for all of those articulating arms on the the 8 drives wheels are called, and I know it probably sounds funny, but they have a real sexy looking move to them. At minute 5.57.

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What grade is your bridge coming from the left behind that red tower. It looks like 30% !

It’s steep. I had a block with a voltage drop to slow the engine down. Small space what can you do?
    Relays and blocks make it fun.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't know what the names are for all of those articulating arms on the the 8 drives wheels are called,

The main rods connected to the wheels are called side rods. The piston in the cylinder is hooked to them. The smaller moving parts by the cylinders are parts of the Walschaerts valve gear. Even smaller parts would be for mechanical lubricators. Power reverse wouldn't be moving, it is in there somewhere.

All that gives you about 6,000 horse power.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The main rods connected to the wheels are called side rods. The piston in the cylinder is hooked to them. The smaller moving parts by the cylinders are parts of the Walschaerts valve gear. Even smaller parts would be for mechanical lubricators. Power reverse wouldn't be moving, it is in there somewhere.
    All that gives you about 6,000 horse power.

Before being known as LTG, wasn’t your previous nick name Side Rod? Lol

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Where is the hazmat crew?

There is a major N95 mask shortage currently, so they have to take this one on the chin.

4 weeks later
    #79 3 years ago

My HO shelf train - no scenery (yet) - was given to me by a friend who said his old train set had been sitting in the attic for 25 years. I'm working on adding my late BiLs 70s era O gauge to the shelf, and possibly another HO that I picked up on freecycle. I'm going to need some more shelf space...I keep telling myself I'm a pin guy that happened upon a couple of trains, but I gotta say, restoring these old trains to working condition has been a blast.

Checking out all the layouts on this thread is really inspiring. Impressive work!!

Cheers!
    Bob

train (resized).jpgtrain (resized).jpg
    #80 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobnatlanta:

My HO shelf train - no scenery (yet) - was given to me by a friend who said his old train set had been sitting in the attic for 25 years. I'm working on adding my late BiLs 70s era O gauge to the shelf, and possibly another HO that I picked up on freecycle. I'm going to need some more shelf space...I keep telling myself I'm a pin guy that happened upon a couple of trains, but I gotta say, restoring these old trains to working condition has been a blast.
    Checking out all the layouts on this thread is really inspiring. Impressive work!!
    Cheers!
    Bob
    [quoted image]

Is this just a shelf for that train or does it go around the whole room? I was thinking of an HO setup to run the perimeter of the basement. Not sure How I'd deal with the duct work, but still considering it.

Chris

#81 3 years ago

Was a big fan of MTH Trains (O scale) when they came out. Use to put a display up for the holidays that was roughly 22x5 with 4 trains running. Used the RealTrax since we took it down after the holidays. Over time the track tabs would break but I purchased so much of it I was good till few years ago I had to buy some more. Quality has changed as the rails on the track I had were solid and the crap MTH sells today is more like the old Lionel track. It's more stamped tin track and hollow inside. Best thing about is ... the new track wont work with the older, especially the curves, as the rails don't line up.

#82 3 years ago

My husband spent Sunday detailing some of the figures for his layout. The fireman figure was originally a prospector holding a shovel.6C480628-E58F-407F-B98E-816E499CC259 (resized).jpeg6C480628-E58F-407F-B98E-816E499CC259 (resized).jpegFD3856C2-77A9-4BE0-B8EA-C04CEA444760 (resized).jpegFD3856C2-77A9-4BE0-B8EA-C04CEA444760 (resized).jpegEA332A3C-1788-477B-9E86-09D703DAB790 (resized).jpegEA332A3C-1788-477B-9E86-09D703DAB790 (resized).jpeg

#83 3 years ago

I have a modern era N scale layout. Nothing serious really, it's only a 3x6. It has DCC, lights, sounds, etc. It took me about 11 months to get it to this point but it still needs all of the little finishing touches like building interiors and lighting, parking meter, trash cans, roof ventilation, etc. I stopped because I literally got burnt out on it so I haven't done anything to it since last november but I do run it occasionally just to keep the track clean.

20190311_214549 (resized).jpg20190311_214549 (resized).jpg20190311_214600 (resized).jpg20190311_214600 (resized).jpg20190311_214617 (resized).jpg20190311_214617 (resized).jpg20190311_214631 (resized).jpg20190311_214631 (resized).jpg20181231_164446 (resized).jpg20181231_164446 (resized).jpg20181231_164538 (resized).jpg20181231_164538 (resized).jpg20190103_211101 (resized).jpg20190103_211101 (resized).jpg20190103_211118 (resized).jpg20190103_211118 (resized).jpg20190103_211433 (resized).jpg20190103_211433 (resized).jpg20190103_211459 (resized).jpg20190103_211459 (resized).jpg20190103_211605 (resized).jpg20190103_211605 (resized).jpg20190103_212345 (resized).jpg20190103_212345 (resized).jpg20190119_143828 (resized).jpg20190119_143828 (resized).jpg20190119_143847 (resized).jpg20190119_143847 (resized).jpg20190120_180648 (resized).jpg20190120_180648 (resized).jpg20190129_183318 (resized).jpg20190129_183318 (resized).jpg20190129_183630 (resized).jpg20190129_183630 (resized).jpg20190129_183646 (resized).jpg20190129_183646 (resized).jpg20190129_183803 (resized).jpg20190129_183803 (resized).jpg20190129_183820 (resized).jpg20190129_183820 (resized).jpg20190129_183859 (resized).jpg20190129_183859 (resized).jpg20190129_183921 (resized).jpg20190129_183921 (resized).jpg20190129_183951 (resized).jpg20190129_183951 (resized).jpg20190216_140744 (resized).jpg20190216_140744 (resized).jpg20190216_140759 (resized).jpg20190216_140759 (resized).jpg20190323_223024 (resized).jpg20190323_223024 (resized).jpg20190430_200606 (resized).jpg20190430_200606 (resized).jpg20190430_200856 (resized).jpg20190430_200856 (resized).jpg20190507_221151 (resized).jpg20190507_221151 (resized).jpg20190518_201648 (resized).jpg20190518_201648 (resized).jpg20190606_224654 (resized).jpg20190606_224654 (resized).jpg20190606_224806 (resized).jpg20190606_224806 (resized).jpg20190625_211707 (resized).jpg20190625_211707 (resized).jpg20190724_204245 (resized).jpg20190724_204245 (resized).jpg20190724_204313 (resized).jpg20190724_204313 (resized).jpgIMG_157248299016F (resized).jpgIMG_157248299016F (resized).jpg
    #84 3 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

I have a modern era N scale layout. Nothing serious really, it's only a 3x6. It has DCC, lights, sounds, etc. It took me about 11 months to get it to this point but it still needs all of the little finishing touches like building interiors and lighting, parking meter, trash cans, roof ventilation, etc. I stopped because I literally got burnt out on it so I haven't done anything to it since last november but I do run it occasionally just to keep the track clean.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work. I like your street lights.

#85 3 years ago

do any model railroaders do speculative future / sci-fi setups? I always thought with the popularity of Epcot Center in the waybackwhen that some people must have done "Visions of the future" kind of model railways.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Quality has changed as the rails on the track I had were solid and the crap MTH sells today is more like the old Lionel track. It's more stamped tin track and hollow inside. Best thing about is ... the new track wont work with the older, especially the curves, as the rails don't line up

Never liked MTH or Lionel tracks, Atlas is the only track I ever use and solid rail throughout. Now train wise MTH is way better then Lionel in quality and reliability, Lionel isn't terrible but not nearly as good especially when it comes down to Legacy vs DCS, legacy is a one way signal and DCS send and receives back and fourth at the train and the TIU .

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I agree I like the lights, awesome. And I like the guys INSIDE the loco shop, working on all their stuff. And I like the lineup of Porsches.

Let's face it, I like it all! Nice setup and pictures.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

And I like the lineup of Porsches.

LOL, I was going to say, someone else seems to be into the Porsche!

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

do any model railroaders do speculative future / sci-fi setups?

There was an article in Model Railroader magazine many years ago about a sci-fi set up a man made on the moon. Looked like a small mining railroad.

So I would imagine there are some.

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Is this just a shelf for that train or does it go around the whole room? I was thinking of an HO setup to run the perimeter of the basement. Not sure How I'd deal with the duct work, but still considering it.
    Chris

The shelf circles my ~15X10 room, and at about 7 feet above the floor, just barely clears the cloud topper on Addams. The shelf is 1x6, and by my calculations, will accommodate the O Gauge, running closer to the wall. I'm torn between doing that, and elevating the O, while running a second HO in the opposite direction on the shelf. Also trying to figure out where I'll find the time to do any of that, along with finishing up my Lost World restoration, rebuilding the pops on Jungle Queen, and allegedly working remotely.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

do any model railroaders do speculative future / sci-fi setups?

Once I get into adding scenery, I'm definitely going to do something like this...I googled 'HO Gauge UFO'

HO UFO (resized).jpgHO UFO (resized).jpgspaceship recovery (resized).jpgspaceship recovery (resized).jpg

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Need more photos

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobnatlanta:

Once I get into adding scenery, I'm definitely going to do something like this...I googled 'HO Gauge UFO'
    [quoted image][quoted image]

It's an AFM tribute! Would be amazing to see a model railroad layout filled with pinball-related easter eggs

#94 3 years ago

all the bigshots going for a train ride, makes me sick!

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

all the bigshots going for a train ride, makes me sick!

What? I thought all of those cars were empty.

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

It's an AFM tribute! Would be amazing to see a model railroad layout filled with pinball-related easter eggs

I put some old pinballs in an HO coil car once... although at that relative scale they remind me more of "Fight Club Corporate Modern Art" - and could quite effectively re-enact that scene in HO

1 week later
    #97 3 years ago

my train layout has a pinball machine and some arcade games in one of the stores... I will get pics...

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Thank you!!

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I agree I like the lights, awesome. And I like the guys INSIDE the loco shop, working on all their stuff. And I like the lineup of Porsches.
    Let's face it, I like it all! Nice setup and pictures.

Thank you!! My father and I are big Porschephiles so I decided to do a small caravan taking a cruise together

#100 3 years ago

My husband was running the engine he just finished weathering today.
    D55A89C3-3E00-4108-8156-7DA253048515 (resized).jpegD55A89C3-3E00-4108-8156-7DA253048515 (resized).jpeg

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-other-model-railroading-folks-here/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.