C8481B40-D939-4672-B3B9-C46F7D03CCAD (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
319CC3CE-8760-4756-AAED-3F37D71C2C09 (resized).jpeg
A3A549F1-6EBF-4A78-8179-687771DFE9D3 (resized).jpeg
89F87B2B-2563-4051-BF99-F212DB173C3E (resized).jpeg
FA47B6B8-10E1-495F-9C7C-E3930A7BF234 (resized).jpeg
D8A5DB3C-3CEF-4302-AB97-A44D7920647C (resized).jpeg
BB6A5AE0-072C-47CE-BB3B-EE2B1B412DEE (resized).jpeg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Not sure if there are fellow comic collectors out there, but I figured I would share some of my collection before I move them out. Just like the prices on pins have gone insane, so have they with many other hobbies. After seeing the crazy prices on comics lately, I have decided to send some of mine off to auction. Given the current values, I don’t realistically see myself displaying them for fear of damage. I will be keeping a few select books with my favorite stories, first appearances, or those with unique markings such as Stan Lee’s autograph. It’s kind of sad for me to sell some of these off since I really enjoyed collecting them.

Please share if you have any great collection pieces or some grails you have been trying to track down.

Some of these date back to the 60’s and this batch includes the first appearances of:
Deadpool
Punisher
Thanos
Black Panther
Hawkeye
Ghost Rider
Juggernaut
Sentinels
Green Goblin
Apocalypse
Venom
Hobgoblin
Domino
Drax
Lizard
Colossus
Storm
Night Crawler
Thunderbird
Gideon
Ultron
Shocker
Havok
Omega Red

BB6A5AE0-072C-47CE-BB3B-EE2B1B412DEE (resized).jpegBB6A5AE0-072C-47CE-BB3B-EE2B1B412DEE (resized).jpeg
#3 2 years ago

I only mess with Wild Dog.

D8A5DB3C-3CEF-4302-AB97-A44D7920647C (resized).jpegD8A5DB3C-3CEF-4302-AB97-A44D7920647C (resized).jpeg
#4 2 years ago

You would do better if they were 9.8’s .I only see one of those. Key issues are one thing , but condition is another.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:You would do better if they were 9.8’s .I only see one of those. Key issues are one thing , but condition is another.

Ha indeed that would be better, if these were all 9.8s. I would be looking at an insane amount. Appraised value of these exact books at these exact grades came in at just about $43,000 based on actual most recent selling prices.

#7 2 years ago

I'm thinking of selling about 80 % of my
collection. Don't have enough wall space to display
everything.

They just sit in my comic boxes and I need the money
for a retheme project for next winter.

Haven't decided yet. Tough to let go. HAHha

#8 2 years ago

Nice collection. I had a few of those back in the day, but sold pretty much everything years ago for a few hundred bucks. I did the same with my Magic the Gathering cards. Had multiples of the power 9, and traded them all away for a bunch of RPG books. Oh well.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

everything.

That’s exactly where I was, and still kind of am. These were literally all in a box at the bottom of a closet for over three years without looking at them. It’s so sad to get rid of them but the alternative is probably that they would just remain in a box, which didn’t really bring me that much daily joy either haha

#10 2 years ago

Had all these and more and a tornado last year took them. Just a side note, make sure you have them covered on a seperate sub-policy. My homeowners had a clause for collectables and I only got $1500 for around $75,000+ worth of comics. thanks goodness my cards where at my office.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

everything.

They are tough to let go but now is a good time. Collectibles are hot right now. Might let all my ball cards go soon.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Had all these and more and a tornado last year took them. Just a side note, make sure you have them covered on a seperate sub-policy. My homeowners had a clause for collectables and I only got $1500 for around $75,000+ worth of comics. thanks goodness my cards where at my office.

Oh man, I’m so sorry to hear that. I hope you guys were all safe and able to rebuild. What was your favorite book that you had?

That was a concern of mine if I held onto these much longer. If anything happened to them, would I pretty much just be out of luck. I have moved 7 times in 13 years and this is the one thing that always travels with me and comes out of the car at any hotel stops. It’s like I’m housing a fancy guest and I’m ready for them to move out haha.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Nice collection. I had a few of those back in the day, but sold pretty much everything years ago for a few hundred bucks. I did the same with my Magic the Gathering cards. Had multiples of the power 9, and traded them all away for a bunch of RPG books. Oh well.

Oh man, I need to go through my magic cards. I have boxes of them from very early on but haven’t even glanced at them in over 20 years.

#14 2 years ago

I have tons of comics - all non CGCd as well. I want to start selling them, but that's going to take a lot of time which I don't have.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

Oh man, I need to go through my magic cards. I have boxes of them from very early on but haven’t even glanced at them in over 20 years.

Older cards are worth a fortune now. Definitely worth taking a look at what you have and heading over to eBay for some price checking.

#16 2 years ago

Dual lands are always big. Sold mine 6 years ago, was getting 150+ easy for each one and more

(MTG) Magic The Gathering - Volcanic Island Dual Land - Revised US $150.17

Three MTG Underground Sea Revised X3 US $575.00

(MTG) Magic The Gathering - Mana Drain - LEGENDS EDITION US $110.50

Facebook groups I heard was better pricing but I don't have it. Of course this was before you had to deal with taxes or whatever from Ebay....
Keep in mind these cards were BEAT. Played with them for years and years no sleeves.

#17 2 years ago

I collected comics in the 70s, 80s, until my freshman year in college ('89) and still have them all in boxes. 1000+ for sure, all marvel. Have no clue how/where to sell them so I probably won't lol

#18 2 years ago

Anybody know... what’s the best place to sell non-cgc’d comics these days? Is it worth getting them cgc’d? How is this done? Do people really send thousands of dollars worth of books in the mail and then get them back from cgc? Seems crazy.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Anybody know... what’s the best place to sell non-cgc’d comics these days? Is it worth getting them cgc’d? How is this done? Do people really send thousands of dollars worth of books in the mail and then get them back from cgc? Seems crazy.

Really depends on the comics (value) if it’s worth sending them in. If it’s a high value collection can team up with a reputable seller as well.

#20 2 years ago

How about all those diy comic press
videos on YouTube. I went down the rabbit
hole for a brief time watching these and
planning out all the issues i would press and
then send to cgc.
I finally just moved on in my mind to trying to sell as a
Lot when I do decide to let them go.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

How about all those diy comic press
videos on YouTube. I went down the rabbit
hole for a brief time watching these and
planning out all the issues i would press and
then send to cgc.
I finally just moved on in my mind to trying to sell as a
Lot when I do decide to let them go.

Ha I was doing the same, I have a couple of big issues that I was thinking about trying to clean up and send to CGC for grading but I’m not sure I want to even mess with the process. If you have a big collection I would definitely at least spot check for your big issues before selling as a big lot. Even looking up the most valuable by the series you have and just spot checking to see if you have any first.

I just sent all the ones I showed in the initial picture over to Heritage to auction off. They are going to press two of them because they think I can bump up a half a grade which could mean an extra $3K, so I guess the pressing can help a lot haha. Hopefully things go well.

#22 2 years ago

I have a large box full of Heavy Metal and Savage Sword of Conan mags.
Sold the comics years ago.
I get the odd small run or novel.
Judge Dredd vs Alien
Sgt Rock hardcovers
Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

2 weeks later
#23 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

They are tough to let go but now is a good time. Collectibles are hot right now. Might let all my ball cards go soon.

That is a spot on rec. it’s only going to get better now.

But selling now or in the next twelve months. A good idea to sell if you were thinking about it at some point.

#24 2 years ago

All your moon knights. For instance.
FA47B6B8-10E1-495F-9C7C-E3930A7BF234 (resized).jpegFA47B6B8-10E1-495F-9C7C-E3930A7BF234 (resized).jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Knight_(TV_series)

#25 2 years ago

Looking for the dc weird western tales run if anybody has it that is thinking of selling them.

#26 2 years ago

This is going to be a longer post about a friend who collects comics. (Also it’s personal) I collect comics too, of course.

A friend of mine in Michigan, who I now would describe like a good friend had been has been dealing with some degree of mental illness for at least twenty years. I had hoped to spark his interest in his own collection which has been untouched for 20 years to thirty. And to use that indirectly to trick him into getting better. Or at least try.

I told a mutual friend this and he told me basically, it ain’t going to happen.

After a long weekend like this one, however, I got a call back on that.

“You might be right, he might really make an effort.” My friends attitude had changed apparently and that was positive to me. Still, we had a long ways to go.

So a couple days ago I got the call that my friend has 12 months to live. His health has been failing further and there is really very little hope of recovery. Now it is down to time left, basically. They said twelve months but it could be longer.

Anyways the hopes of recovery are dashed.

I have been asked to liquidate the collection. I could do this myself, but it will take 12 months for that.

I have several resources, but I wanted to ask the group if they have ever dealt with this.

The liquidation of another’s collection. It’s too bad, this is a collectors paradise now.

I really had hoped he would be the one to enjoy his own collection.

I had the hook deeply in his mouth on his own collection. It was perfect.

Alright enough somber ness. Please let me know if anyone has had experience with third party selling like this.

Thanks and have a great holiday!

89F87B2B-2563-4051-BF99-F212DB173C3E (resized).jpeg89F87B2B-2563-4051-BF99-F212DB173C3E (resized).jpeg
#27 2 years ago

Oh man, that’s so terrible to hear. I hope your friend is able to extend the time he has left and hopefully live it to fullest.

I haven’t had experience selling a collection without pulling key issues first. There are several companies who will buy your whole collection but their hope is exactly that you get a few cents per issue and they find some gems in the collection they they can sell for big money. We hear “I know what I have” in pinball, well in comics you really do have to know that, haha.

If you wanted to get the most out of the collection, you would likely want to piece out which core series he has and then check a pricing guide for the high value issues. Once you get all the good stuff aside you could potentially send those to CGC for nice casing and grading and then put them to auction. I sent mine to Heritage auction, who have been very good to deal with so far.

Best of luck with the process and, again, I’m very sorry to hear about your friend.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I collected comics in the 70s, 80s, until my freshman year in college ('89) and still have them all in boxes. 1000+ for sure, all marvel. Have no clue how/where to sell them so I probably won't lol

Same boat....I have probably a couple of thousand books. I have Amazing SM #18 through #250, all the Marvel Team-Ups #1 on, Spectacular SM #1 on, a lot of stuff like Byrne X-Men, Miller, McFarland, etc. Most of those are average to above average because I read them as a kid. Always sleeved and kept in non acidic boxes. In the mid 80's, I started buying multiple copies of every #1 released. I probably have 20 copies of McFarland's Spawn, for example. But started collecting all the new publishers, so honestly I have no idea what I have. For fun, I opened one box and had all the original Umbrella Academy #1 on. Honestly don't remember ever buying them. But like you, I wouldn't know where to start, and couldn't see paying money for CG ratings. Wish I could find an honest collector nearby and just get a fair bulk price and get them out of my closet.

#29 2 years ago

I’ve got a shit load of Conan the Barbarian, King Conan, and other Marvel comics of that era. If I had the time I’d probably list em on eBay but not motivated.

#30 2 years ago

deleted

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I’ve got a shit load of Conan the Barbarian, King Conan, and other Marvel comics of that era. If I had the time I’d probably list em on eBay but not motivated.

Conan is on fire it seems. Don’t give em away.

The nostalgia is so high on him.

I like the Barry Windsor smith, but others love much of the later material.

Quentin Tarantino and joe rogan discussed Conan briefly in the recent podcast.

#32 2 years ago

I pick up old Donald Ducks and the like when I find them cheap, just to read, condition not important. Brings me back. Carl Barks was a genius. His humor set me up for the natural progression to Mad, National Lampoon, and having a zany sense of humor my whole life.

But somewhere I have stashed three long boxes of 90s action titles, all bagged and 'boarded, unread and mint, that I scored at an auction probably 20 years ago. I wonder if they are worth anything yet? I sure hope I put them in one of my climate controlled storages, since I haven't run across them in years and I don't recall any more when the last time was that I did. I do remember the ones with foil covers were worth something back when I got them, anyway.

#33 2 years ago

Digging out my moon knights for grading. The books are fire I think. Moon knight is cool.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I pick up old Donald Ducks and the like when I find them cheap, just to read, condition not important. Brings me back. Carl Barks was a genius. His humor set me up for the natural progression to Mad, National Lampoon, and having a zany sense of humor my whole life.

Could not agree more. Barks's Uncle Scrooge series is the best hands down.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Could not agree more. Barks's Uncle Scrooge series is the best hands down.

I had a large collection of the 10c Dell Donald Ducks, Scrooge, et al. I kept some of the better ones, but probably sold 200 of them for $15 when I was a kid

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I had a large collection of the 10c Dell Donald Ducks, Scrooge, et al. I kept some of the better ones, but probably sold 200 of them for $15 when I was a kid

I don't think the old Dells are worth much anyways, besides the key issues. The Gladstone reprints kind of did them in. I have a few of the old Dells.....

#37 2 years ago

Depends on your definition of "worth much," I guess -- In good condition I see multiple pages on eBay of them sold over the last year for >$100.

3 weeks later
#38 2 years ago

15 of the 20 books from my original post just completed their auction. Still have the two biggest issues and three extras to hit auction but I’m very happy with the selling prices so far!

3 weeks later
#39 2 years ago

Fans of this subject should watch the boys. Rated r. I did not really care too much for the comic series, but this show is a beacon of something special. Timing is everything.

A3A549F1-6EBF-4A78-8179-687771DFE9D3 (resized).jpegA3A549F1-6EBF-4A78-8179-687771DFE9D3 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#40 2 years ago

My favorite character in the sandman. The man who (possibly) just happens to live forever.

319CC3CE-8760-4756-AAED-3F37D71C2C09 (resized).jpeg319CC3CE-8760-4756-AAED-3F37D71C2C09 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#41 2 years ago

Sandman is a favorite of mine as well. Got to meet the writer, Neil Gaiman back in the early 90's at DragonCon in Atlanta. I think I got most of my run of Sandman comics signed by him.

#42 2 years ago

The comic market is rolling hard. If you have been thinking about doing some selling, I would suggest the next 12 months.

Or don’t sell- I’m holding my stuff and on a friends collection I am processing.

Might be a very minty number one first print teenage mutant ninja turtles in there.

I’ll show you when it arrives. If it’s a second print, you get a set of steaknives.

#43 2 years ago

It’s time to sell.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

The comic market is rolling hard. If you have been thinking about doing some selling, I would suggest the next 12 months.
Or don’t sell- I’m holding my stuff and on a friends collection I am processing.
Might be a very minty number one first print teenage mutant ninja turtles in there.
I’ll show you when it arrives. If it’s a second print, you get a set of steaknives.

Only single issue I have that is worth anything (i'd think) is Saga #1. Not sure if any fist 52 issues are worth much, but have all of those. Also have fist appearance of Elektra in DD 168

#45 2 years ago

It does appear that prices are heading down. I sent a ton of these books to auction and the prices in the earlier batches were higher. Hammer prices appear to be going down and I was underwhelmed with my most recent sales. My 8.5 grade Giant Sized X-Men 1 had all recent sales 6.5K+ but mine ended at 5k, which was a huge miss from what I expected. It was a white pages copy too which should pull more.

Overall I am seeing trends shift down as many people acted quickly and the market somewhat saturated.

2 weeks later
#46 2 years ago

Aw

It does appear that prices are heading down. I sent a ton of these books to auction and the prices in the earlier batches were higher. Hammer prices appear to be going down and I was underwhelmed with my most recent sales. My 8.5 grade Giant Sized X-Men 1 had all recent sales 6.5K+ but mine ended at 5k, which was a huge miss from what I expected. It was a white pages copy too which should pull more.
Overall I am seeing trends shift down as many people acted quickly and the market somewhat saturated.

It is a second print.

1 month later
#47 2 years ago

Iron Man Pinball armor variant cover. Recent. Does not appear inside the issue itself. Very cool. I'm not going to make a new thread for it. Not sure who the artist is.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#48 2 years ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

I'm not going to make a new thread for it.

I already started a topic thread on Iron Man pinball suit a couple days ago
with a link to a screenrant.com article about it.
It got no traction
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-pinball-armor#post-6774394

#49 2 years ago

I collected comics heavily from about 1970 to 1980,
Stopping when prices went over $1 an issue
collecting everything superhero both DC/Marvel
buying most directly off the newstand,
but also collected back issues on most superhero titles dating back to 1964 (complete runs).
Probably had near 6500+ books, most newstand mint (None were CGC graded)
The 1960's books vary from Good to Fine, with a few mint.
Finally decided to let them go.
Was very hard to do initially, to let them go, but in the end you can't take them with you. and the more runs I sold made it easier to sell the next box.
Over the past 5-6 yrs I have sold about 2/3rd of my collections,
All my DC Titles and other misc stuff, Including TOWER comics and Charlton and MLJ/Archie supper hero books
and just past couple yrs started selling my Marvel stuff,
DareDevil Thor, FF, Xmen and misc tiltles like TeamUp, Spotlight, Preview, Feature, Conan and Kung Fu and horror books etc.
Still have yet to let go of Amazing Spidey, Capt America, Hulk, Iron Man, Submariner, Tales of Suspense and to Astonish and Strangle Tales books
plus Warlock & Capt Marvel.
My favorite is Doc Strange, which I may just keep.
So far have Sold about 4600 books for about $35K.
Found a comic shop owner in San Jose that I made friends with and sold most all my stuff to him.
I could probably have made twice as much selling on ebay or individually,
but just so much easier and less hassle to sell the books in bulk runs
and the buyer is giving me a very fair price, and he still can probably double his money (in just reselling the key issues).

I also have a shit ton of comic fanzines from the 60s & 70s eras
RBCC, AlterEgo, Batmania, the Comic Reader, FOOM, SpaFon, Squa Tront, Wizend, etc etc.

2 months later
#50 1 year ago

Rest In Peace Neal Adams. The great art is substantial from this guy!

C8481B40-D939-4672-B3B9-C46F7D03CCAD (resized).jpegC8481B40-D939-4672-B3B9-C46F7D03CCAD (resized).jpeg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-other-comic-collectors?hl=thebeefsupreme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.