C8481B40-D939-4672-B3B9-C46F7D03CCAD (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
319CC3CE-8760-4756-AAED-3F37D71C2C09 (resized).jpeg
A3A549F1-6EBF-4A78-8179-687771DFE9D3 (resized).jpeg
89F87B2B-2563-4051-BF99-F212DB173C3E (resized).jpeg
FA47B6B8-10E1-495F-9C7C-E3930A7BF234 (resized).jpeg
D8A5DB3C-3CEF-4302-AB97-A44D7920647C (resized).jpeg
BB6A5AE0-072C-47CE-BB3B-EE2B1B412DEE (resized).jpeg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago

sold my whole collection today minus about 50 favorites .

1350 issues/mags/special issues.
all bagged and boarded.

needed the money to get to final bucks for my
alien order.

sad day kind of but they were just sitting in
comic boxes.

20220709_121820 (resized).jpg20220709_121820 (resized).jpg
#52 1 year ago

I could use some extra cash. It’s time to sell a few books. In the next week I will make a list.

I will share the list here too…

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I could use some extra cash. It’s time to sell a few books. In the next week I will make a list.
I will share the list here too…

My kid is into something called "secret war" from the 80s. If you have a dog-eared set, shoot me a price.

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

My kid is into something called "secret war" from the 80s. If you have a dog-eared set, shoot me a price.

This is the “Infinity Wars” of the current marvel
Movies. Pretty major storyline from the 80s, but it crossed over many different titles, making it tough to get the entire story. Unless your kids really really want used comics, you’re better off buying a trade paperback of the whole thing. It’s also the storyline where Spider-Man got the black suit which eventually became venom.

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Wars-Jim-Shooter/dp/0785158685/ref=asc_df_0785158685/

#55 1 year ago

This fantastic four cover really looks like it inspired donkey Kong.

C4F077C3-B19F-4F63-8C58-36E8A04B2049 (resized).jpegC4F077C3-B19F-4F63-8C58-36E8A04B2049 (resized).jpeg
#56 1 year ago

Personally, I collected heavily in the early 80's. Claremont's x-men run still is a go to for me.

Strangely enough. My involvement with pinball and with comics came and went in very similar times in my life. I have found that my tastes in comic books and in pinball games went from a preference to visual to writing with comics. With pinball it went from artwork to rules and layouts. Today, I stay away from single issue comics unless I can't find the title I am seeking out any other way. TPB's are the way for me as I prefer to sit down for a reading session that will take me through a larger story. Cliffhangers are fun, but they get old quick. The books I buy now are not as "collectable" as they are "readable". If you can find it, I recommend looking for a series called The Wintermen.

In regards to pinball with comic book art... I will give big ups to Spooky's Alice Cooper and Stern's AiQ for their use of 2 1/2 D artwork based on motion graphics and still images. I am also a big fan of the comic book look in Atari's Superman (George Opperman!) as well as Gottlieb's Spiderman and Hulk. Stern X-men is based off of those graphics as well, but the composition and photoshopping of the images is not as well crafted. I don't care for the art on, Stern Spiderman, Iron Man or Gomez avengers due to the disney movie graphics on the games. I will give a pass to the Stern Star Wars Comic line. Even the PF art looks better with the hard line definition on the game as compared to the cloudy image manipulations on the first art package of that game. Tales From the Crypt looks rough in the art department. Just like the old pulp EC comics did.

No, I do not want to talk about what happened to Heavy Metal...

My first pinball game was Judge Dredd, and the Kevin O'Connor art package is way sweet!

Comic books today are fantastic. I would love to see some indie titles make their way into a pinball game theme. Some will "get it" others will not. If someone ever makes a Hellboy pinball game. I would love to play it!

ron-perlman-hellboy-900x506 (resized).jpgron-perlman-hellboy-900x506 (resized).jpg
#57 1 year ago

As a young kid, I dabbled with collecting comics, it all depended on what was available around my area at the time. Had a whole bunch of misc, a little over half of the Marvel Transformers, about a third of Marvel G.I. Joe and such.

In the last few years, I decided to complete my TF and Joe original comic runs. Planning on handing them down to my kids, once they’re old enough. Our boy has really been getting into those old series cartoons.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from SterlingRush:

As a young kid, I dabbled with collecting comics, it all depended on what was available around my area at the time. Had a whole bunch of misc, a little over half of the Marvel Transformers, about a third of Marvel G.I. Joe and such.
In the last few years, I decided to complete my TF and Joe original comic runs. Planning on handing them down to my kids, once they’re old enough. Our boy has really been getting into those old series cartoons.

NICE! I have an almost complete collection of TF as well. Funny how the stories in the comics still hold up pretty well, whereas the tv show.. not so great as an adult! Lol

3 months later
#59 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Took my kid to Baltimore Comic Con this weekend. Picked up the last comic in the Secret Wars set he was looking for, that #8 first appearance of Venom. $100 for a comic seems steep to me, but the set is now complete and the kiddo is estatic. He hunted the rest in the cheapo bins at the comic book shops for the last few months.

6 months later
#60 10 months ago

Gonna sell my comic book collection. It's not a big one in terms of copies, fits inside just two file drawers, but has a few high-value titles such as Journey Into Mystery #83, Superman 3-D, Amazing Spiderman #4 (intro of Sandman), Iron Man #1, a bunch of Walt Disney's including Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge (Back to the Klondike, for example), a handful of Tales from the Crypt and Shock Suspense Stories #8, a bunch of Daredevil, Batman and Iron Man that are in the $5-$20 range, etc.

Most of my comics were from the 10 cent to 35 cent era but I was collecting during the 1982-1988 years and CGC is something I never dealt with. So a learning curve, for sure. Any suggestions on how to proceed are most welcome.

#61 10 months ago

Not western comic, but my wife and I are massive manga collectors. We currently have around 2000 books in our collection. Some of my personal favorite series are Gantz, Dragon Ball, Claymore, Flowers of Evil, and Battle Royale.

#62 10 months ago

On a side note I do have every Star Wars omnibus Dark Horse released before thr franchise went back to Marvel, as well as most of the Dark Horse Aliens, Predator and AvP omnibuses they released.

#63 10 months ago
Quoted from Nicholastree:

Gonna sell my comic book collection. It's not a big one in terms of copies, fits inside just two file drawers, but has a few high-value titles such as Journey Into Mystery #83, Superman 3-D, Amazing Spiderman #4 (intro of Sandman), Iron Man #1, a bunch of Walt Disney's including Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge (Back to the Klondike, for example), a handful of Tales from the Crypt and Shock Suspense Stories #8, a bunch of Daredevil, Batman and Iron Man that are in the $5-$20 range, etc.
Most of my comics were from the 10 cent to 35 cent era but I was collecting during the 1982-1988 years and CGC is something I never dealt with. So a learning curve, for sure. Any suggestions on how to proceed are most welcome.

I would suggest one of either two things going forward if you want to sell the collection...

1. If you are unsure of their values and arent confident in accurately grading the condition of the comics I would contact a reputable comic auction company and just have them auction them off for you. I would suggest either comiclink.com, comicconnect.com or ha.com (heritage auctions). If the comics are high grade they may even get them pressed and graded for you to get the most money for them. The auction companies would only be interested in the high dollar ones though.

2. Educate yourself on how to grade the books and their values once you can accuarately determine their condition. For example the price of a Journey into Mystery 83 can vary in value from $3k to $300k just on condition alone. For the comics valued under $100 it will be hard to get good value for them unless you are willing to list them individually on ebay or facebook or you can take them to a few comic shops and sell to whoever offers the most. Be prepared to only get about 25-40% of their value for the lower priced books. They take longer to sell for the comic shops.

Feel free to direct message me if you have any other questions.

Chip

#64 10 months ago
Quoted from zimzam:

I would suggest one of either two things going forward if you want to sell the collection...
1. If you are unsure of their values and arent confident in accurately grading the condition of the comics I would contact a reputable comic auction company and just have them auction them off for you. I would suggest either comiclink.com, comicconnect.com or ha.com (heritage auctions). If the comics are high grade they may even get them pressed and graded for you to get the most money for them. The auction companies would only be interested in the high dollar ones though.
2. Educate yourself on how to grade the books and their values once you can accuarately determine their condition. For example the price of a Journey into Mystery 83 can vary in value from $3k to $300k just on condition alone. For the comics valued under $100 it will be hard to get good value for them unless you are willing to list them individually on ebay or facebook or you can take them to a few comic shops and sell to whoever offers the most. Be prepared to only get about 25-40% of their value for the lower priced books. They take longer to sell for the comic shops.
Feel free to direct message me if you have any other questions.
Chip

Thanks! I'll give this some thought and conduct some more research.

4 months later
#65 6 months ago

Precode horror comics have ignited my comic interest. Nothing else matters but pre code horror to me. I am having the greatest time with ps art books collections. I cannot recommend these highly enough. Happy Halloween.

IMG_1740 (resized).jpegIMG_1740 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#66 4 months ago

Lost in pre code horror. Also other fifties comics.

IMG_1849 (resized).jpegIMG_1849 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#67 4 months ago

Just sold my last batch of comics
Tales To Astonish 40-101
Tales of Suspense 42-99
Plus Captain Marvel #1-62
Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD #1-15
Warlock #1-15
Howard the Duck #1-32
Savage Tales #1 &#2

All I have left from my original collection of DC & Marvel books;
(about 6000; from 1965 to 1980 eras)
is My run of Strange Tales #102-188
and Doctor Strange #169-183 and #1-62
and a few other odd ball titles and about a dozen golden age books
plus a ton of comic book fanzines,

My estimated return on investment was about 20 fold.
I would have to have taken the same amount of money that I spent on comics
and invested in a savings account for 50 years
at interest rate of about 6% (rolling any interest earned back into the savings),
to get the same return.
So in todays market seems like a smart investment,
but remember back in about 1980 , the CD rates for long term
were at one point 10-15% for 10-30 yr term.
So maybe not as great as it seems
but I am happy with what I got.
I could have gotten more, but for a lot more work and hassle selling my collection piece meal on ebay,
instead of selling in bulk (200-400 books at a time over the past 10 yrs)
to a single buyer ( a comic book retailer)
but he gave me fair prices for my collection for the condition of the books.

2 months later
#68 35 days ago

FYI mycomicshop.com has a trade sale 30 percent off all but new.

#69 35 days ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

FYI mycomicshop.com has a trade sale 30 percent off all but new.

Thanks for the heads up, I've been burning through trade paperbacks lately.

2 weeks later
#70 19 days ago

Wondercon this weekend Anaheim!
Going to try and talk with Marv Wolfman.

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-other-comic-collectors/page/2?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.