(Topic ID: 5227)

Any other 1st Gen Stern lovers out there?

By Marty_Graw77

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by HPR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

012_(1024x768).jpg
    005_(1024x768).jpg
    001_(768x1024).jpg

#1 10 years ago

I've come to realize that in my short reintroduction time to pinball that I have a real appreciation for the late 70's early 80's Stern pins. Flight 2000, Galaxy, Meteor, and maybe even Stars. I love the artwork on these games, very bright and eye-catching, kinda silver/golden age comic book looking. I love the flow of these games, fast AND floaty with simple to learn rulesets but shots you have to aim/nudge for. I also love the sounds. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the advance in sound technology; but early 80's pins are my favorite sound wise: beyond the bells and chimes of the old EM's, but not to the overly perfect digital speech and music of the 90's and beyond. Something about those video game sounding blips and beeps and 4 bit speech just make me feel good inside. I can't be the only one, can I?

#2 10 years ago

Yeah I'm getting into them more and more- look for them at the shows.
    Was a great article on pinball news not long ago
    darn if I can find it now

#3 10 years ago

I wouldn't say stern in particular. I would say late 70s to early 80s machines. Simple and fun. I would still call globetrotters one of my favorites from that era. Although sttng will always have a special place in my heart.

#4 10 years ago

i concur.the artwork and the sounds coupled with the game play made alot of the early ss pins very fun. not just stern.however,sterns pins from that era are amazing. i would love to pick up galaxy and nugent.or even catacomb.

#5 10 years ago

Yeah it's strange. The earlier, "more simple" one audio doesn't get old like the more current ones. Can't explain it.

#6 10 years ago

Big 80's stern fan here. See my lightning, Flight 2000 or Iron Maiden reviews or

http://www.pinballnews.com/comment/sterndesign.html

We're not alone, check out youtube and Steve Ritchie says his favourite Stern Game is Flight 2000.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

pick up galaxy and nugent.or even catacomb.

A word of warning, play before you but, they aren't all good but some are superb!

#8 10 years ago

thanks for the link emo

#9 10 years ago

Wow! Great link, Emo!

2 months later
    #10 10 years ago

I still want a Stargazer

#11 10 years ago

...even Stars.... Stars is awesome.

A guy in my city is solely dedicated to the early Sterns. I prefer what Bally cranked out in that time, but Stern had some good titles too.

#12 10 years ago

Oh god yes, these machines form some of the favourites from my collection, and I love them all (well, with perhaps the exception of Nine Ball which I kind of accidentally got hold of, still, I don't know the game, so I could love it when I eventually get to play it!!). I've been lucky enpough to pick up the following over the years, and can't wait to get them all lined up!! Flight 2000, Freefall, Cheetah, Meteor, Viper, Iron Maiden, Orbitor 1, Split Second, Big Game, Nine Ball.

#13 10 years ago

CATACOMB!

Currently fixing this up for a friend. He got it cheap, but it needs a new rectifier board, replace a bunch of burnt connectors, and who knows what else so far. Cab is in nice shape, back glass as well (has a very tiny amount of flaking), all plastics in good shape.

I'm just getting it all cleaned up waiting on parts. I'm not sure how far we're going to go with the play field restore. Kinda wish they made repro's, or even a full play field decal. Any hints when restoring these? Paints? Do I clear after?

001_(768x1024).jpg 005_(1024x768).jpg 012_(1024x768).jpg

#14 10 years ago

Definitely "old school" pin lover here, I don't have to have a DMD lol. Enjoy my early Stern Nugent and Wild Fyre, as well as Bally Evel Knievel. To me you can't beat the simplicity of these machines, also the fun factor is there as well.

#15 10 years ago

They are all good, just different. Too many dmd snobs these days, or maybe some just get into pinball for the first time late in life, and can't connected with the older ones, who knows.

#16 10 years ago

Smokedog.. I love that artwork on Catacomb. I have no idea if it is fun to play but it would be great as just artwork if it isn't fun to play.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

Smokedog.. I love that artwork on Catacomb. I have no idea if it is fun to play but it would be great as just artwork if it isn't fun to play.

Awesome looking game. I only played it once but wrote it off my "games that I want list" due to the back box game. I owned Gig Guns which had a similar back box toy that got on my nerves. I know that it has its fans on RGP. The designer JJJ is one of my favourite designers. I love the way Stern kept trying different in the early 80's.
    The back-box art is superb but not pictured

#18 10 years ago

Yup, who couldn't like that art? It rocks. Look at that beast, his chains are breaking, he's going to mess things up!

The rule set is kind of complicated for Catacomb. It's very interesting, and a tough game. Both lock shots have to be hit off an object and in. No straight shot from the flippers. The back box game plays into the play field by lighting sets of drops. Really cool.

#19 10 years ago

My buddy left the back glass at his place. I have a couple of young ones, and the glass has a couple of ladies naughty bits hanging out. The art is great on this machine. I even really like the cab art.

#20 10 years ago

I have a 1979 Magic. Love it, and might own a second one soon!

#21 10 years ago

I own only one - a Stern Freefall. Am looking for a Quicksilver and a Split Second.

When I starting to collect the early Ballys, I then took notice of the Stern pins. Really didn't see any of the older Stern pins bitd with the exception of Meteor.

Really would love to play a Viper, Iron Maiden and Star Gazer...

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

Oh god yes, these machines form some of the favourites from my collection, and I love them all (well, with perhaps the exception of Nine Ball which I kind of accidentally got hold of, still, I don't know the game, so I could love it when I eventually get to play it!!). I've been lucky enpough to pick up the following over the years, and can't wait to get them all lined up!! Flight 2000, Freefall, Cheetah, Meteor, Viper, Iron Maiden, Orbitor 1, Split Second, Big Game, Nine Ball.

What's your thoughts on Split Second? I know it was bagged by the Stern diehards because of the gameplay... had/have a chance to get one but also looking for a quicksilver so - decisions, decisions....

#23 10 years ago

Stargazer, sweet game, I want one bad!

#24 10 years ago

I love 'em!!! Just missed out on a Big Game myself. Had to pay for a anniversary getaway, so cash flow was cut short. Damn, it was a looker too!

#25 10 years ago

Used to own a Meteor, Seawitch and Stars. That Stars was so much fun for how simple it was. Had a PF in great shape too. Sold it to Firebird to free up space for my Corvette.

#26 10 years ago

The Stars does look good. It's kind of funny because I really wanted the Seawitch at the time, and was really over-concerned about what reviews on here and especially ipdb said about Stars. But, I soon found out that Stars is a classic game.

I take reviews with a grain of salt now because a lot of people love what is obvious. I think any well-maintained machine has the possibility of people falling back in love with it for various reasons. It's like how people don't (still) like cars from 73 - 79 because they fullfilled different market demands than the sixties cars. That creates an undervalued market situation. I would rather spend less on a pin with a unique story and characteristic than just have another one of the same olds, cause I don't have enough money for an awesome line up in that range. Just have to find what is awesome in my price range. And at this point I don't think I could trade the Stars for much. If another early Stern came back on Anchorage CL I would buy it as well.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Schusler:

What's your thoughts on Split Second? I know it was bagged by the Stern diehards because of the gameplay... had/have a chance to get one but also looking for a quicksilver so - decisions, decisions....

I never played Split Second, I owned on but had to sell it (to Pinslave) before I got it running because I ran out of storage space. I was told that the game play was excellent and it looked like it would be a good game. I would say go for it and you can always re-consider if you find a Quicksilver.

I was a bit disappointed when I played Quicksilver but that was after I had owned Stargazer, which is a great playing single ball game. I do think it would complement Free fall though. It is very fast and flowing where as Free fall is much slower and a nudger's game. Meteor and Big game are also great fun.

#28 10 years ago

What goes on in the backglass of Catacomb?

It looks like another game or bonus?

#29 10 years ago

It's actually got a really interesting rule set for the time, and the bagatelle plays into it heavily.

Here's a great vid about Catacomb. Bagatelle rules start at 3:12. Affects both the game and your bonus.

"Prisoner 1 escaping the Catacomb!"

Post edited by smokedog : Edited to add quote from game.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Schusler:

What's your thoughts on Split Second?

My main driving force in buying this game was that a well known pinball dealer in the UK who had a passion for old Sterns said it was his favourite game, so without even playing it, I decided I had to have one! I've only played it once at another collectors house... I've never got mine running, so I'm not a lot of help... I need to get my games room sorted and set these things up!! The only early Sterns I know well due to having them set up for a while are Cheetah, Iron Maiden and Orbitor 1...

#31 10 years ago

I've got 14 of them and love them all !
    Ali
    Big Game
    Catacomb
    Cheetah
    Flight 2000
    Freefall
    Lightning
    Meteor
    Nine Ball
    Orbitor 1
    Quicksilver
    Seawitch
    Split Second
    Star Gazer

#32 10 years ago

The jewel in the collection is a HUO Catacomb. It's amazing to open and lift up the playfield and see everything looks like new. It really looks like it never aged.

http://www.pinballmadness.net/collections/main.php?g2_itemId=9687

8 months later
    #33 9 years ago

I'm in !! I have 18 of them and i love them all. Modern pins are very fun but still i prefer the experience of the early 80's pins. They are very challenging, very nice art package, love the electronics sounds effects.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside