(Topic ID: 301617)

Any OPs going to $1.50 with Godzilla Prem?

By Three60in

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 328 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Route pricing. Should it be changed?”

• $1.50 is the new normal. 20 votes
    10%
  • Its understandable when games are $9k. Go ahead and change it. $1.50 39 votes
    19%
  • $1.25 for prem/LEs 7 votes
    3%
  • Heck no. $1 is what it needs to be. 137 votes
    67%

(203 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
f978946fd5e66b9c262949cabd36def5d5f3fb4e (resized).jpg
cant understand pinball controls.gif
jjPotC 1.50 price card.jpg
nope (resized).jpg
Bk2k (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#166 2 years ago
Quoted from Three60in:

Its been years since I have upped the price of a game on my locations. All games $1 or 3 for $2. Thinking about going to $1.50 4 for $5 starting with Godzilla Prem. Then once my older spike 2s go onto insider connected moving those to $1.25
I will leave the older games at $1.
Now with pins at $9k Its getting tough. Anyone else doing the same?

As long as you keep your machines well-maintained, raise it to $1.50 or 4/$5 and change the balls to 4 per game. Advertise CLEARLY that you're getting 4 balls per game on the pricing cards (we made custom ones - see example below of the one I made to use, PM me if you need help making some). JJP now shows the balls per game on the attract mode for GnR and (I think WoZ) based on our request to JJP when we did this for JJPotC to help customers see the extra value.

Doing 4 balls/game eased the transition to $1.50/game for the route I helped with starting 3 years ago, and customers didn't blink because they got an "extra" ball that made the value proposition work. jjPotC at $1.50/4 balls was the #1 pin on the route the whole time it was out on location, right up until the pandemic.

EDIT: I just remembered to mention that I also set the ball saves to be pretty generous. Didn't affect good players much, but gave casuals a little more bang for their buck if they lost their balls quickly.
jjPotC 1.50 price card.jpgjjPotC 1.50 price card.jpg

#171 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I am not a fan of extra balls for more money though. 3 ball play only. I can see how that would entice casuals but I think it totally ruins it for regular players.

How? Do you play with extra ball awards off?

#173 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

I think this idea has merit. Back in the late 1970s, operators were dealing with high inflation. I recall seeing games go from 3 games for a quarter to 2 games for a quarter, but with 5 balls instead of 3 ball play. Of course, that didn't last as eventually all games were priced at one play for a quarter at 3 balls per game. It did help stairstep to the new value level.

Exactly. And having successfully done it on a real route THREE YEARS AGO, it DOES work. Now that prices of machines are up across the board and there's a proven field case (I'm sure there are more, but I can attest it works having done it), OPs that keep their machines in top shape should be making the transition ASAP.

#176 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

No, someone a few comments above mine said they raised the price of their games but made it 4 ball play to make up for it. Extra balls are fine!

That was me. It worked great on location.

I'm trying to understand your problem with getting an extra ball out of the gate if you don't mind getting them awarded in-game. Casuals love it and it takes the sting out of the very necessary increase to $1.50/game. I've never run into a player that doesn't like getting an extra ball from the start until you.

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Count me in the 'no thanks' club. Make it harder and cost less, thanks.

That is not going to work. Casuals can't handle harder. They can barely handle NORMAL. Making the games even SHORTER for them will not pencil out. Prices HAVE to go up per game to cover just a fraction of the cost increases that have come in the last 5 years. So you can have higher prices with the same number of balls or higher prices and you get a bonus ball. I'm just here to say $1.50/game with 4 balls works great. Been tested on locations and works very well. Those machines became and stayed the #1 earners.

You need to understand the pinball level of most people. This is a real example from the location security cameras we used. This girl can start the game, and then pull the plunger to launch the ball, but panics when she realizes the action button on the lockdown bar isn't moving the "flappers." Fortunately her friend rushes over to show her how to operate the flippers. THIS is the level of most people out there. Making the game harder so it ends quicker for them will not result in more income, it will just turn them off to wasting more money on a 60 second game. But looser ball save and and extra ball? Might be enough to get them to cough up another $1.50 when they're done or maybe even a $5 to go for 4 games.
cant understand pinball controls.gifcant understand pinball controls.gif

#181 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Least she got to THAT point. MANY people that play my games genuinely don't even know to push the "Start" button or what the buttons on the sides are for, or how to plunge the ball.

Pretty sure that's the genesis of the action button on Stern games being able to be set to start games.

Quoted from NPO:

Seriously, this is real junk, man. Don't know if it's the lack of tangible, hands-on entertainment that does not involve booping virtual keyboard buttons or what, but it is frightening to watch at times.

Oh, yeah. I would say she's probably 90th percentile for even getting that far, in my route experience. An arcade genius relative to the general public. A LOT of people put their money in and then can't understand why the game won't start, even when there's a giant flashing colored light reflecting off their thigh from the start button. But that's the point. The prices HAVE to go up. The question is how to get them there without turning casuals off. I found that giving them 4 balls per game and a generous ball save did the trick. I know that may not be popular for seasoned location players, but they don't have to worry about the financials penciling out on a $10,000 and up machine.

But honestly, the regulars didn't complain a bit and played their extra 4th ball just as happily as the first. Win/win for OPs, in my experience.

#183 2 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

4 ball just seems off, because it is not the norm. If it works for you that’s great, but why not just go 5 then?
Not to mention, when playing hooked to Stern Insider Connection, would it even be allowed?

Well, let's not go crazy. For most casuals 4 balls is a nice extra. They'd probably blow through 5 quickly too. But you have to remember that GOOD players also use the machines. Giving THEM 5 balls would tie the machines up longer for the same amount of money. It's a balancing act.

And good question on Stern Insider Connection. I doubt Stern has thought that far ahead. I guess they could take the score you had on the end of the third ball if they wanted to keep it the same across all machines and locations. Maybe see if Xaqery or sk8ball can chime in...

#186 2 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

I had a pretty successful route before covid and increasing ball saves to roughly 10 seconds and charging $.50/game did really well for us.

You were putting out Prem/LE/CE/SLE for $0.50/play? All our stuff was high end. We routed a Batman'66 SLE.

#194 2 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

I bet 90% of players would rather play a pro/not LE CE SLE and pay less. You argue for what the players want and then try to minimize someone else by dropping a Batman 66 SLE on them. You can have a win today. Enjoy!

Funny you should say that. We ran almost all Prem/LE/CE/SLE at higher pricing. The other OP in town was almost all Pro. Guess what? The other OP moved to Prem/LE and raised his prices. Spoke volumes about people's preferences, at least around here.

People can do what they want, but I'm just putting this out there for the OP of this thread or others trying to make the transition to sustainable pricing that THIS worked really well on the route I helped with and allowed us to keep putting out top shelf machines that people sought out. Do what you want on your route.

#205 2 years ago
Quoted from Three60in:

Agreed. I just bumped my JP and TMNT to $1per $5 for 7. Replays are now extra balls instead of credits. We will see if it makes any difference.

Definitely post how it works out for you.

#208 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Charge what you want, but $1.00 per game is the most I'll pay.

I tried to hold that line at 25 cents when I was a kid. That didn't work, either.

#211 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

LOL!
Then you were richer than I was!

Paper route and great service supported my habit. I had a big route and got great tips.

#214 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Most all the locations here are $1/game for Sterns. One op just went to $1.50/game for Godzilla Pro. I know him well so I can provide some feedback here once it has been on location for a while.

$1.50 for a pro seems too steep, but good on him if he makes it work.

#220 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Why doesn’t Stern change their software so that matches are awarded with a higher percentage based upon a lower score or perhaps awarding a 4th/5th ball. This might award poor players with a more rewarding experience (bang for their buck). Perhaps the algorithm could take into account the cost of a game. I.e. a 2$ game offers a higher potential for match or extended # of balls depending on how bad the score is. If a player feels that they are getting good value then 1$ or 2$ is the same when it comes to their experience.

Giving casuals pricing options based on better chances to match or lower high score/free replay awards just won't work. You have to understand the mentality of the average casual or walk-up player. They can literally barely understand how to press start. I'm not exaggerating. Being on the operator side gives you a whole new perspective. That's why setting up the tables challenging with open outlanes, but long ball saves and 4 ball/game at $1.50 or 4/$5 for prem/le (pro I can't see more than $1 is fair) works for everyone. The extra ball save won't really affect the prosumer players, but it will be much more forgiving for the casuals, and the casuals love the slightly longer play the 4th ball affords them. The wide open outlanes keep the table challenging for experienced players so they're not playing 40 minute games. Well, at least not often.

Experienced players used to 3 balls/game (who are too young to remember that 5 was once the standard) that complain about 4 being weird or messing up their score comparisons have never walked away from the 4th ball on the machines I helped with, but that's always an option if they want to keep it pure.

But again, OPs shouldn't be afraid to experiment and find out what works for their locations and players. The steep price increases for machines over the last 10 years have to eventually show up on the pricing card in a more commensurate fashion. That 25 cents I was paying in 1975 for a game is $1.27 now in inflation adjusted dollars. Pinball pricing hasn't even kept up with inflation in most areas!

#222 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Then why not consider charging 1.25/game. Everyone says 1.50/game and that's too much IMO.

I think $1 for a pro is still ok. 1970s games are essentially pros.

$1.50 is Prem/LE pricing. And 4/$5 incentive is $1.25/game anyway.

#232 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My favorite was watching a guy put $1 into Swords of Rage at flat top johnnys in Boston and just hit the lockdown bar action button three times (once per ball) and walk away.

I wish there were stats on how often this happens. I've seen it many, many times. That big button in the lockdown bar is like catnip to casuals. There are so many that have no idea how to access the two buttons on the sides of the machine.

#237 2 years ago
Quoted from Three60in:

1 thing to note is that all 3 games had way more $5 then i typically get. So maybe as ops. We need to focus on how to get more $5s in the game and less on single game. $1.50 seems goofy but $1.5/1 $5/4 might be attractive.

It works. We took in a LOT of $5s with that pricing scheme (and 4 balls/play) on Prem/LEs.

Upgraded some of the changers to take $20s and started getting those, too.

#242 2 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Imma bring some real, non operator, normal guy that goes and plays a lot and also owns a game.
¢50 is the standard and I'll drop buckets in games at ¢50. You'll make more off me that way for sure
$1 is as high as a normal player will like to go and most likely go to at all. I'll play them more if I know replays are plentiful.

A> Your "ceiling" doesn't even keep up with inflation and works out to LESS than a 5 ball game in 1975 cost on a dollar-adjusted basis. OPs are in business.

B> $1.50/1 or 4/$5 works fine for Prem/LE games. $1 for Pro works. This is not my opinion, but actual fact based on route operation of Prem/LE games with these settings. I was involved in collections at these price points for years and it was a positive move.

C> Ops are only reacting to pinball pricing they also have to pay.

D> Less wear and tear/maintenance because of your speculation of less games at higher prices is not a bad thing.

#261 2 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

LTG my comments are not directed at you. I've seen you helping many many people here.
I'm saying other ops may need to tone the capitalism thing down a bit and realize home enthusiasts are keeping pinball alive at this point. You can still make money and not insult the community.

A large part of those enthusiasts started as casual location players, and lots of location players can't drop $6k on a new pin that'll drop $1.50 a play to try the new hotness Prem/LE/CE. Also, on the route I helped with players that owned Pros would come and play the Prem/LEs to check them out.

If you were out there with a charity route featuring a broad variety of new $8,000-$11,000 well-maintained pins set to 25 cents a play you'd have a stronger platform for your assertions. But you're not. Although, it's not too late to put your money where your mouth is...

#266 2 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I don't know who's talking about 25 cents but it's not me. I'm square with a buck a play.

I don't know what you're complaining about then. $1/play for pros is pretty much status quo - that's how Sterns come stock now, but it's still LESS money per game than 1975 pins with 5 balls.

We're only talking about $1.50 and up for Prem/LE/CE machines, and even that's too cheap on an inflation adjusted basis.

#270 2 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Exactly. You did not see me once in this thread complain about a dollar per play. Someone else perhaps.

You didn't SAY it, but you RESPONDED to an OP talking about $1 and $1.50/play as the new reality here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-ops-going-to-150-with-godzilla-prem/page/6#post-6562695

Same diff.

1 week later
#288 2 years ago
Quoted from PrinzFred:

I'm going to give Godzilla LE a try at $1.50 and a Pro version beside it at $1.00.

On the Prem/LE if you have a bill acceptor that can handle $5s definitely have a 4/$5 option, too. You'll be surprised how many $5 bills you start getting if it's a good game like Godzilla LE.

1 week later
#298 2 years ago
Quoted from Three60in:

Ok. Got my godzilla Prem today. Set it to $1.50 or 5/$5. When i mentioned it to a few players they shrugged their shoulder and said. "Seems fair"
Il let you know how it goes.

I'd do 4/$5, because you're still knocking $1 off with that if they put a fiver in, which is probably enough incentive. Right now you're knocking off $2.50 with 5/$5 over what those 5 games would cost @$1.50 - essentially giving away money. You can always make it more generous later if you need to change the pricing.

1 week later
#302 2 years ago
Quoted from Three60in:

Will do. Il let you know in a week or so.

How's your price change working out?

#305 2 years ago
Quoted from Three60in:

So far so good. Its out earned everything. More 5's in a pinball than ive ever gotten. However it is the NEW game. It killed mandos earnings. il keep everyone posted. But the strategy for getting 5's seems to be working.
I dont think the price changed has hurt it at all. Which is the main question. In fact i think its the opposite. Tbey are committing to playing it longer.
Total take on 7 pins is up as well. So its not totally canabalizing the others.

That was my experience, too. Had a LOT of $5s once we made the price change to $1.50 or 4/$5. We were even getting 10s and 20s in the bill acceptors that could do them. Pirates was the first one with this pricing and it out-earned every other machine right up to the pandemic. Didn't hurt earnings at all.

Did you go for 4/$5 or 5/$5?

#309 2 years ago
Quoted from egibson606:

As someone who only plays on location currently(almost every weekend) I don't think $1.50 is completely unreasonable. However it is at the high end of the scale, and I would be alot more selective on what I'm playing(IE, I'm not playing your Godzilla pro for $1.50 at the location where something is always wrong with half the machines and there's no "super value" deals).

Right. $1.50 is only for Prem/LE/CE level machines, well maintained. Pros are $1 max. We did very well with that setup on location.

3 weeks later
#313 2 years ago
Quoted from Three60in:

Let us know. Im going to bet that you will make more. 20% of the people will notice and complain but still pay.
80% wont even blink.

Are you still at 5/$5 or did you ease into 4/$5?

#316 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I’m running (pretty much) exclusively DMD B/W’s at 1/$.50 5/$2.00
While we do have some “real” pinball players, the vast majority are novice/casual.
I’ve been considering tightening/disabling match and setting replays as an extra ball.
I’m juggling between having the games set easy enough to be approachable for novices and pro’s racking up credits on a bunch of pins before they have to go.

Just increase the ball save time. Won't help the pros much but will help the casuals a lot that would otherwise have whole games that only lasted a couple minutes.

4 weeks later
#326 2 years ago
Quoted from Three60in:

So far so good. Its out earned everything. More 5's in a pinball than ive ever gotten. However it is the NEW game. It killed mandos earnings. il keep everyone posted. But the strategy for getting 5's seems to be working.
I dont think the price changed has hurt it at all. Which is the main question. In fact i think its the opposite. Tbey are committing to playing it longer.
Total take on 7 pins is up as well. So its not totally canabalizing the others.

It's been almost 2 months. Are the earnings still holding up with the price changes?

7 months later
#328 1 year ago
Quoted from Coz:

I finally raised my prices to 1 a game on my location games. I had them at 50 cents a game for 2 1/2 years. Let’s see how they do

How did your price change work out?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Side Gig Studios

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 19.99
Electronics
GMods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-ops-going-to-150-with-godzilla-prem?tu=PinMonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.