(Topic ID: 301617)

Any OPs going to $1.50 with Godzilla Prem?

By Three60in

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 328 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Route pricing. Should it be changed?”

• $1.50 is the new normal. 20 votes
    10%
  • Its understandable when games are $9k. Go ahead and change it. $1.50 39 votes
    19%
  • $1.25 for prem/LEs 7 votes
    3%
  • Heck no. $1 is what it needs to be. 137 votes
    67%

(203 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
f978946fd5e66b9c262949cabd36def5d5f3fb4e (resized).jpg
cant understand pinball controls.gif
jjPotC 1.50 price card.jpg
nope (resized).jpg
Bk2k (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DakotaMike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Routed games usually don't get anywhere near NIB price.
LTG : )

Love and respect ya Lloyd, but that's not the case anymore. There are now way more buyers than supply for all the recent good Stern and CGC titles. Because of this, buyers are happy to find a Jurassic Park or Deadpoo or AFMr for sale, routed or not.

Most people are now coming to the realization that condition is king. And as long as the condition is good, then you will find a full-priced buyer for your routed game no problem. And plays are plays, whether at home or on location.

Quoted from rotordave:

That’s true. But maybe if one guy ups the price, the others will follow. Or talk to the other guys and sort it out between you.
The whole “pinball on site” model will collapse if people don’t get a ROI on it. People won’t keep buying new games if they ain’t making a return.
In fact I’d say the only thing that probably keeps pinballs on location is the high resale value. Operators know they’ll get almost their purchase price back when they go to sell the game in a year or two, no matter what it’s earned on site.
rd

Agree on the resale thing. But honesty, I think its been a long time since most operators held onto a game long enough for it to pay for itself.

Also, I'm a hobbyst OP myself, so I have some skin in this game.

3 weeks later
#289 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

When location pinball dies - then so will the hobby and industry. Young people won’t see pinball. Hipsters won’t see pinball. It’ll be gone within 10 years. Gary Stern has been saying this for years.

These days, homeowners are a huge pinball buying market. And so are hobbyist operators. Home buyers and hobbyists aren't suddenly gonna disappear in 10 years, that doesn't make sense. I'm 35, and I foresee still being into pinball when I'm 45. As location/route buying declines, homeowner/hobbyist buying increases. Just look at the pandemic sales. It certainly wasn't locations that were buying the majority of pins in 2020 and 2021.

Yes, it's sadly true that the traditional routers/locations may not make it doing pinball anymore. But bar arcades, pinball collectives, and unique places like Ayce Gogi will still be there to fill the public's pinball playing needs. In Sioux Falls, our local bar arcade is doing gangbusters and has consistently added to it's pinball lineup the last 3 years, and our local pinball collective (The Pinball Room) is doing great too. But in all of these cases, pinball is either not the primary money earner, or not the primary source of the owner's income.

#293 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Thats great that you’re young and into it.
The vast amount of pinball owners are a lot older. A large amount of people on Pinside are 60 plus.
The point I was trying to make is that the current homeowners (likely you as well) were introduced to pinball by seeing/playing location games.
If these games disappear from public view - then how do 12 year old kids get to play it like we did? Randomly show up at your house? They won’t even know it’s “a thing”.
OF COURSE there will be people with pins in their house who continue to buy new ones. But looking 20 years down the track, as the old guys die off and there is no new blood, the hobby will shrink considerably.
rd

Right, and I listed 3 different types of public pinball locations that aren't necessarily in decline.

Also, my dad is/was a route technician, so my introduction to pinball is different than most people's I'd guess. My reintroduction to pinball came from The Pinball Arcade PC software. Playing digital pinball gave me the itch to play the real thing, and a visit to the Seattle Pinball Museum cemented my love. And the Seattle Pinball Museum is, as it happens, a pay-at-the-door type of place, to bring the discussion back around to pricing.

I have no idea of the actual age-demographics of the pinball hobby these days. Most of the guys who play in our leagues and tourneys around here are under 50, if not 40, and when I watch the big tournaments on Twitch, there's a good split of ages. The youtubers and streamers I watch also tend to be in the 25 to 45 age range too. But I fully admit that my pinball bubble may be skewed young, and so maybe I'm not getting the full picture.

Quoted from LTG:

Happened to model railroading. As trains and hobby shops started disappearing. Many kids grew up without seeing either.
Hasn't disappeared, but no where near what it once was.
LTG : )

Yeah, that's an interesting point. I don't necessarily think pinball and model railroading are comparable hobbies though. Model railroading is a more contemplative hobby, where most of the joy is in the building, painting, modeling, ect., whereas pinball is a more active hobby, where the playing is the main part of it. Although certainly repair and restoration would crossover. I think modern-day miniatures/model-based war games such as Warhammer, fill much of the same role as railroading did. Where painting and modeling go hand-in-hand with actually playing the game. The "play" part is an important distinction, as there's not much longterm play after you finish your railroad setup.

#295 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Well, it is for me … but reading Pinside and other things online, it appears to me that a great number of people just like buying the “new shiny thing” every few months, glueing some plastic toys inside it, proclaiming its “bolted to the floor”, then selling it a few months later with only 100 plays on it.
But that’s for another thread.
rd

Ha, very true. I do that with my pins, but that's because I get my fill of most of them pretty quickly, so I need to constantly rotate to keep things fresh. Since my space and budget don't allow me to keep that many pins at once. I don't have the ability to have a complete System 11 collection like some people! (I envy you!)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Wanted
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 375.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinMod Industries

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Austin, MN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DakotaMike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-ops-going-to-150-with-godzilla-prem?tu=DakotaMike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.